Battlegrounds matchmaking

Z584Z584 Member Posts: 23
Has anyone else been put against opponents in battlegrounds who are far more progressed, I've got 2 rank three 6 stars yet I'm being out against opponents with multiple maxed out 6 star champs and multiple 7 stars. I don't have a chance at winning or progressing anymore

Comments

• SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,347 Guardian
    Topic that has been beaten into the ground at length in so many existing posts.

Basically, only matches you based on the Tier (ie Gold, Plat, and which Tier #) you are in.
    NOT by your actual roster, deck, PI rating, or anything else.

So if you have advanced many levels in current season already, and moved up into Tiers with higher last-season ending players, who maybe haven’t started moving back up themselves this season yet, you could match them.
  • Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,739 ★★★★
    Weird that my Valiant accoun keeps getting match against Uncollected and Cavalier accounts. Most of them just quit right away. A free win is a free win. I am very happy with this match making. I support this game mode. Keep up the good work Kabam. No effort to get easy wins is always welcome. Got to get my 300k solo BG points with elder marks so this saves me a lot of them.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,423 Guardian
    Z584 said:

Has anyone else been put against opponents in battlegrounds who are far more progressed, I've got 2 rank three 6 stars yet I'm being out against opponents with multiple maxed out 6 star champs and multiple 7 stars. I don't have a chance at winning or progressing anymore

You say "anymore." I'm presuming that you were progressing, and now aren't.

Who were you matching against when you were progressing? Were they people you could beat? I assume so. Where are they now? Well, you won, so you moved up. They lost, so they didn't. You kept winning, so you kept moving upward. Do you think all of the people you beat on the way up also won just as much as you and moved up as fast as you? Maybe not.

So you outran them. You now are at a VT tier where players weaker than you have not been able to reach yet. So there are only stronger players. If the players at your tier were beatable, you'd have kept playing and kept winning and gone up even higher, right? You kept going up until finally there were no more people like you that you could beat. You're now seeing much stronger players, and having difficulty beating them, while the players you can beat are still much lower in VT.

Do you think you were supposed to just be able to keep winning over and over until you ended up at #1? I presume not. I presume you don't think you were going to keep winning forever. At some point, you would not promote all the way up to the #1 spot. So what was going to stop you? Losing. Losing is what happens when you reach a place in VT or GC where you have surpassed everyone weaker, and are now running into everyone stronger. So of course you will start losing, and stop promoting.

However, it is only day ten of the current season. If this was day 28, I would say you have reached your peak, and you need to simply accept that this is as high as you are likely to go. But it isn't. There are still over two weeks to go. What's going to happen now is the players lower than you and promoting slower than you will continue to climb. Meanwhile the players you are facing now will also continue to climb. As this happens, the players stronger than you will leave your VT tier, and the players as strong or weaker than you will catch up to you. Your tier will lose stronger players and gain weaker players. Match ups, which are random, will get easier as the mix of players gets less strong. And then you will start winning again, and moving up again. Until you outrace the weaker players and run into the stronger players, and they stop you again.

This is how the VT competitive ladder works. Everyone is running a marathon, trying to climb up the ladder. The fast ones run into stronger and stronger competition until they get temporarily stopped. The slower players move upward more slowly, and eventually fill higher VT tiers, making them easier to win in. You need to understand how the VT ladder changes over time, how fast players and slow players alter the strength of competition throughout the season. You can only climb upward so fast before you run into competition you cannot beat, unless you are one of the strongest players in the game. If you aren't, you need to pace yourself, and only go as far as you can before giving everyone else a chance to catch up.
  • Z584Z584 Member Posts: 23
    DNA3000 said:

Z584 said:

Who were you matching against when you were progressing? Were they people you could beat? I assume so. Where are they now? Well, you won, so you moved up. They lost, so they didn't. You kept winning, so you kept moving upward. Do you think all of the people you beat on the way up also won just as much as you and moved up as fast as you? Maybe not.

So you outran them. You now are at a VT tier where players weaker than you have not been able to reach yet. So there are only stronger players. If the players at your tier were beatable, you'd have kept playing and kept winning and gone up even higher, right? You kept going up until finally there were no more people like you that you could beat. You're now seeing much stronger players, and having difficulty beating them, while the players you can beat are still much lower in VT.

Do you think you were supposed to just be able to keep winning over and over until you ended up at #1? I presume not. I presume you don't think you were going to keep winning forever. At some point, you would not promote all the way up to the #1 spot. So what was going to stop you? Losing. Losing is what happens when you reach a place in VT or GC where you have surpassed everyone weaker, and are now running into everyone stronger. So of course you will start losing, and stop promoting.

However, it is only day ten of the current season. If this was day 28, I would say you have reached your peak, and you need to simply accept that this is as high as you are likely to go. But it isn't. There are still over two weeks to go. What's going to happen now is the players lower than you and promoting slower than you will continue to climb. Meanwhile the players you are facing now will also continue to climb. As this happens, the players stronger than you will leave your VT tier, and the players as strong or weaker than you will catch up to you. Your tier will lose stronger players and gain weaker players. Match ups, which are random, will get easier as the mix of players gets less strong. And then you will start winning again, and moving up again. Until you outrace the weaker players and run into the stronger players, and they stop you again.

This is how the VT competitive ladder works. Everyone is running a marathon, trying to climb up the ladder. The fast ones run into stronger and stronger competition until they get temporarily stopped. The slower players move upward more slowly, and eventually fill higher VT tiers, making them easier to win in. You need to understand how the VT ladder changes over time, how fast players and slow players alter the strength of competition throughout the season. You can only climb upward so fast before you run into competition you cannot beat, unless you are one of the strongest players in the game. If you aren't, you need to pace yourself, and only go as far as you can before giving everyone else a chance to catch up.
    I made it to silver I and yes there's been some matches in my favour that haven't seemed fair either, I'm not sure if it's a balancing issue or just people starting up in the new season, but it seems almost set against progression for players at lower levels I had a match a couple days ago where their best champs were maxed 3&4 stars so I backed out of it.
    It's been a long time since I last played just started getting back into the game again
  • Z584Z584 Member Posts: 23
    So would playing later in the season when higher tier players have progressed further be better for matchmaking like giving a more even match up
    Z584 said:

It's been a long time since I last played just started getting back into the game again

And there you have it.

Now apply the same thing to people who have much stronger rosters.
    They may not normally do BG much at all either.
    So they are still in very low levels of BG Tiers, and the people they would thus get matched against would then typically be lower rated rosters.

Now last season, I’d say there were a TON of more people playing, just because of the extra Magnatron Crystals in bi-daily Objectives, and Plat and Vibranium rewards. That are normally not present.
    Which (this season) is good for lower players doing around Silver/Gold levels.

So there shouldn’t be too many strong rosters starting out in Bronze/Silver/Gold this season.
    But as the seasons continue and each season you drop another 8 levels from prior ending. Come a few seasons from now you will once again have very strong players way down at the bottom.

And when they do happen to play an occassional handful of matches, they'll need to be matched against someone/anyone who is also in same Level.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,625 ★★★★★
    Z584 said:

So would playing later in the season when higher tier players have progressed further be better for matchmaking like giving a more even match up

Unfortunately I don't think it will be getting better for you, the real big accounts most likely started in Diamond 5 this season...if what you are seeing in Silver 1 in your opinion are big, it won't get much better.
    Z584 said:

Yes, but then you’re forgoing solo objectives. The best strategy is to try to get your three wins every two days if you can, and if the match ups remain winnable keep going until they aren’t, then take a step back and wait for the two-day objectives refresh, then repeat.

If you push hard against stronger p[layers you’ll just keep losing. If you wait to the end you’re leaving rewards on the table. Pacing yourself gets the most rewards for the least amount of losing.

Also, take note of the fact that every season reset everyone is seeded eight tiers lower (but no higher than Diamond 5). So if you promote more than eight tiers in a season, you’ll start the next season higher than the previous one. You can make slow progress upward over multiple seasons. You don’t have to push to go as high as possible every season. You will reach your potential over several seasons if you promote enough every season to keep moving upward.

So since a season is 28 days and there are thus 14 cycles of two-day objectives, another reasonable pacing goal is to try to promote once every cycle if you can. That would be 14 promotions in a season, and you’d start six tiers higher next season, Of course, eventually you won’t be able to do that, but even ten promotions in 28 days would be good progress for progressing players that aren’t GC-caliber.
  • HootlzHootlz Member Posts: 7
    DNA3000 said:

Z584 said:

Bro, what are you on about? I’m a Cav player on my second account in Bronze 4 and being paired against full ascended 6*/7* rank 2’s and 3’s.

It’s not about how far you’ve progressed it’s about Kabam’s lack of matchmaking guidelines. If a Cav player can’t even move up through Bronze then what’s the f-ing point
  • winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    Hootlz said:

DNA3000 said:

Z584 said:

Bro, what are you on about? I’m a Cav player on my second account in Bronze 4 and being paired against full ascended 6*/7* rank 2’s and 3’s.

It’s not about how far you’ve progressed it’s about Kabam’s lack of matchmaking guidelines. If a Cav player can’t even move up through Bronze then what’s the f-ing point
    Skill?
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Member Posts: 4,175 ★★★★★
    Hootlz said:

DNA3000 said:

Z584 said:

DNA did a comparison with this new matchmaking system. I believe he has a cav account, TB and his main account. He was easily able to get out of bronze. I believe his cav ended up at diamond 2. So you may want to listen to him.

Or it's just a skill issue like winterthur said.
    Hootlz said:

DNA3000 said:

Z584 said:

There's bound to be the odd Valiant in Bronze because they did not play BG at all last season and are slow playing this season. However, they are going to be rare. If you are claiming to be matching against them consistently in Bronze 4 such that it is preventing you from promoting, please post your match up history so that I can see the details.

If you're just mad because you ran into one of those guys, thems the breaks. Stuff happens. But I haven't seen too much of that this season yet.

Kabam does have match making guidelines. In the Victory track, you match against players in your VT tier. At the mid point of the season, Bronze 4 is going to be full of mostly people that are just starting to play this season. So i wouldn't be surprised if there was an eclectic mix of players in low Bronze. Even a brand new Uncollected player should have been able to get out of Bronze 4 by now if they started at the beginning of the season. But you only need one win to get out of Bronze 4. If you are claiming you're stuck in B4, you're claiming you have been unable to win more than a single match all season so far. I would really like to see that match history. Either you haven't played very many matches and are just unlucky, or you've played a ton of matches and are astronomically unlucky.
    On my main account I usually stop around mid Vibranium tiers. As I am a Paragon player who is closing in on Valiant. I have been playing the game since Infinity War came out, and took a recent 6 month break. I have since been back for the past couple months and have learned how to fight the majority of the newer characters. Skill is NOT the issue.

The issue is that my second account is composed of a r2 6*, a handful of 6*'s at rank 1, a hand full of 5*'s at r2 and r3, and some maxed out 4*s. I am Cavalier ONLY because of my skill.

When fighting players with full rosters of maxed out and ascended 6*'s and r2 and r3 7*'s I could have 4 times the amount of skill and still lose every single match because my defenders health pool is 1/8 of my opponents, and their champions attack rating is 8 times my own.

This matchmaking isn't the "fluke" valiant player sitting in bronze IV, it happens to me every single time for the past 10 or so attempts.

Again, what are you on about?

The issue is Kabam has no comprehensive matchmaking system to encourage summoners with smaller (much smaller) rosters to be able to compete IN EVEN THE LOWEST TIER OF BATTLEGROUNDS
    So instead of tuning the matchmaking system, summoners with smaller rosters are just supposed to sit out at least the first half of the season in hopes that the larger accounts will by then proceed to higher tiers? And in effect, lost out on all of the rank up materials offered in the BG's store which can help our accounts progress? Why is everyone so ardently defending a system that is at least in part broken??
    Hootlz said:

The issue is that my second account is composed of a r2 6*, a handful of 6*'s at rank 1, a hand full of 5*'s at r2 and r3, and some maxed out 4*s. I am Cavalier ONLY because of my skill.

RNG? I have an Uncollected account, about similar size roster and managed to reach Gold 4.

Hootlz said:

RNG? I have an Uncollected account, about similar size roster and managed to reach Gold 4.
    Perhaps. But that is some pretty awful RNG. Not to mention all of the Elder Marks wasted away and the time it takes to play these matches.

Are you saying as an Uncollected with a similar size roster that you weren't getting matched with Valiant accounts until you reached into the Gold tiers? And if it is RNG, how many Valiant accounts are even in Bronze IV halfway through the season anyway? And why am I matching up with them consistently?

The BattleGrounds solo event is available to me. The BattleGrounds store has rewards curtailed to my Game Progression. So obviously Kabam has some intention of having accounts with varying sizes and progression levels to access and utilize the rewards. But the matchmaking system does not compliment that.

So again, what is everyone on about? Why are they so ardently defending this system that needs tuning??

Instead of continuing to whine here is a potential solution:

Could they have a progressive matchmaking system that at lower tiers (Bronze, Silver, Gold) matches accounts based on their game progression titles? And as you move up into the higher tiers (Plat, Diamond, Vibranium) that system regresses?

On my main account I am sometimes matched up with much smaller accounts and I feel bad when I absolutely destroy them, because I shouldnt even be fighting them in the first place!
    Hootlz said:

Hootlz said:

Perhaps. But that is some pretty awful RNG. Not to mention all of the Elder Marks wasted away and the time it takes to play these matches.

Are you saying as an Uncollected with a similar size roster that you weren't getting matched with Valiant accounts until you reached into the Gold tiers? And if it is RNG, how many Valiant accounts are even in Bronze IV halfway through the season anyway? And why am I matching up with them consistently?
    Use of Marks is one variable, need the BG experts to comment on. I don’t use it.

As for matchup against supersize rosters, not as often assuming there are no exaggerations.

I do have matches where the stronger roster loses and I think those are involved in farming.
    Hootlz said:

On my main account I usually stop around mid Vibranium tiers. As I am a Paragon player who is closing in on Valiant. I have been playing the game since Infinity War came out, and took a recent 6 month break. I have since been back for the past couple months and have learned how to fight the majority of the newer characters. Skill is NOT the issue.

When fighting players with full rosters of maxed out and ascended 6*'s and r2 and r3 7*'s I could have 4 times the amount of skill and still lose every single match because my defenders health pool is 1/8 of my opponents, and their champions attack rating is 8 times my own.

This matchmaking isn't the "fluke" valiant player sitting in bronze IV, it happens to me every single time for the past 10 or so attempts.

Again, what are you on about?

The issue is Kabam has no comprehensive matchmaking system to encourage summoners with smaller (much smaller) rosters to be able to compete IN EVEN THE LOWEST TIER OF BATTLEGROUNDS

Like I said, post your match history. What you’re describing is something I have yet to see, across multiple accounts and both seasons using the current BG system. What I have seen is other players in other seasons making the same complaint as you, but when they post their actual match histories they are either cherry picked, or clearly show evidence that disputes their own characterization of their matches.

If this is actually happening and I’m just happening to get lucky and avoid it, I would like to see it. But i don’t trust match making anecdotes, because so far I’ve spent way too much time analyzing them only to discover they aren’t what they were portrayed to be.

If you’re unwilling to post complete match history, I can understand that and you have no obligation to do so. But your complaints about it would be evaluated in that context.
  • Jason1432Jason1432 Member Posts: 5
    I definitely feel u thronebreaker here going up against valiant players like wtf it’s crazy
    l

9 out of the last 10 matches

As you can see I got fed up with the matchmaking system and quit out of 2 of them.

Here is a screenshot of the average match up. Notice the stark contrast in PI levels

Having to include sub-7000 PI champs as part of your Deck (if your roster only has a handful of 10000+ champs) is definitely gonna make things difficult.

Note (as has already been mentioned, but will summarize for Bronze..)

At beginning of PRIOR BG Season, everyone got dumped back down to Bronze. (*shouldn't have happened, but it did)

So while the rewards LAST Season did encourage people to get back to a minimum of top of Diamond, or Vibranium, or into G.C. for some nice 7* shards and Deathless Vision piece, it was only ONE SEASON's worth since everyone had to work themselves back up from starting Bronze position.
    So those that DID NOT PLAY last season, they are all still back at starter Bronze tier.

In addition, even if casual (but stronger than you) players did play occasionally (maybe just to get the Magnetron crystal every other day from BG Objectives), but never reached higher than upper SILVER tiers, they too will have fallen back down to entry BRONZE tier for start of this season.
    **Because everyone falls 8 places lower than where they finished, to start the following season.

So you are matching against a whole lot of people that may not play very much. But there are SOOO MANY MORE of them (at higher roster than yours), that even though they don’t play as often, odds are you will still match against many of them (just from sheer numbers).

For sub-7000 rated Champ Decks (and Rosters), there are actually not very many of them in the game (relatively speaking), because of how fast you can obtain higher champs and higher Rankup materials now.

Those that play regularly, and thus may be doing BG, can quickly have higher rosters.
    And those lower players that DON'T play regularly, well then they are probably not playing BG either, so would be rare to actually get a match against them.

It's just a matter of getting lucky enough for some matches in a row, to work your way out of Entry Level Bronze like last season (from pics) where you worked your way up from Bronze 5 to Bronze 1.

Most of the time, other posts here saying about bad matching, at least typically have Decks full of 10,000 to 15,000 champs. And them trying to continue to Gold or Diamond is hard for them.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,625 ★★★★★
    Hootlz said:

l

As you can see I got fed up with the matchmaking system and quit out of 2 of them.

Here is a screenshot of the average match up. Notice the stark contrast in PI levels

Your roster is way too small, some champs are not even leveled in their lowest ranks, not sure what you are expecting.
    Just re-read Hoot's initial.
    Cav player on 2nd account.

Is your Main one Cav, and this 2nd acct is just beginning ?
    Or is this 2nd acct the Cav one (and you main is something like Paragon or something) ?

If 2nd acct (this) is Cav, with these 6000 rated champs, then just haven’t built up a more complete roster yet (30 for a Deck) compared to just a few champs needed to have gotten it to Cav.

Sounds like it is similar to your 1st opponent this season (from pic, 2nd from bottom), PalladiumDragon.
  • Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Member Posts: 931 ★★★★
    Hootlz said:

l

You should be focusing on building your roster & growing your account. Maybe BGs has rewards you might see as better than story or side quest, but if you can't win, you'll never get currency to purchase them. Clearing content & ranking up your champions should be your main priority. Not battlegrounds

Just re-read Hoot's initial.
    Cav player on 2nd account.

Is your Main one Cav, and this 2nd acct is just beginning ?
    Or is this 2nd acct the Cav one (and you main is something like Paragon or something) ?

If 2nd acct (this) is Cav, with these 6000 rated champs, then just haven’t built up a more complete roster yet (30 for a Deck) compared to just a few champs needed to have gotten it to Cav.

Sounds like it is similar to your 1st opponent this season (from pic, 2nd from bottom), PalladiumDragon.

Yes, this is my second account. My main account is Paragon, going to be running Necropolis initial clear within the next couple of days to get Valiant.

I agree with you, my account is not built up enough even for a Cavalier, that is where skill would come into play if I were battling summoners with Cavalier accounts. Instead, I am fighting Valiant players with stacked decks. Even if I had a full roster of 6*'s at rank 2 and maxed out 5*'s, the odds would still be immensely stacked against me VS Valiant accounts.

That's why I think my progressive/regressive matchmaking system would be more inclusive for players to be able to compete in lower tier Battlegrounds tiers. (see my previous post) It would encourage newer players who love PVP games to engage with this content. Because as you know, it takes AGES to develop an account of fully maxed out 6*'s and 7*s.

Having to include sub-7000 PI champs as part of your Deck (if your roster only has a handful of 10000+ champs) is definitely gonna make things difficult.

Note (as has already been mentioned, but will summarize for Bronze..)

At beginning of PRIOR BG Season, everyone got dumped back down to Bronze. (*shouldn't have happened, but it did)

So while the rewards LAST Season did encourage people to get back to a minimum of top of Diamond, or Vibranium, or into G.C. for some nice 7* shards and Deathless Vision piece, it was only ONE SEASON's worth since everyone had to work themselves back up from starting Bronze position.
    So those that DID NOT PLAY last season, they are all still back at starter Bronze tier.

In addition, even if casual (but stronger than you) players did play occasionally (maybe just to get the Magnetron crystal every other day from BG Objectives), but never reached higher than upper SILVER tiers, they too will have fallen back down to entry BRONZE tier for start of this season.
    **Because everyone falls 8 places lower than where they finished, to start the following season.

So you are matching against a whole lot of people that may not play very much. But there are SOOO MANY MORE of them (at higher roster than yours), that even though they don’t play as often, odds are you will still match against many of them (just from sheer numbers).

For sub-7000 rated Champ Decks (and Rosters), there are actually not very many of them in the game (relatively speaking), because of how fast you can obtain higher champs and higher Rankup materials now.

Those that play regularly, and thus may be doing BG, can quickly have higher rosters.
    And those lower players that DON'T play regularly, well then they are probably not playing BG either, so would be rare to actually get a match against them.

It's just a matter of getting lucky enough for some matches in a row, to work your way out of Entry Level Bronze like last season (from pics) where you worked your way up from Bronze 5 to Bronze 1.

Most of the time, other posts here saying about bad matching, at least typically have Decks full of 10,000 to 15,000 champs. And them trying to continue to Gold or Diamond is hard for them.

I was wondering why there were so many Valiant players in Bronze. Thanks for the insight. This makes perfect sense. I appreciate you spending the time to respond to me.

Unfortunately, I think you guys are still in-part missing my main point. That Kabam has rewards in the BG's store tailored to Account Progression titles, and being Cavalier also grants access to the Solo Event. So it's not as if they are making it clear that smaller accounts shouldn't play battlegrounds at all. Their current matchmaking system can just be incredibly punishing for Uncollected/Cavalier/Thronebreaker players who want to play BG's - even more so because of this game wide tier reset.

It's not as if everyone responding to me aren't making some very valid points, but why can't we admit that the game type could use some balancing tweaks? Even if minor ones?

• geokenngeokenn Member Posts: 42
    Z584 said:

Let it go. If I started in bronze or gold, or Diamond didn't matter. Im around 13k rating
    Even in bronze I constantly faced Legends, Valiant, ruler of necropolis, . Same in gold and diamond. The average players i faced every BG so far is around 21k.. keep in mind im 13k. Now trolls are gonna say tier, this tier that, .. but keep in mind BG matchmaking has been god awful every season. I usually win only when other player quits right away.. I don't have a chance against 10 out of 12 matches vs Legends , Valiant and Necropolis every level even in bronze. Kabaam knows this as well as all other players in game. Let it go
  • MrSanguiniMrSanguini Member Posts: 8
    The BGs matchmaking system is almost entirely based on luck, because there is no matchmaking system. If, hypothetically, a bunch of high tier accounts stopped playing a lot of BGs for a couple months, they’d all end up in Bronze and terrorize the players there as they climb.

It’s trash, but unfortunately that’s the reality of it- you’re playing trash. If you keep that in mind as you try to play this imbalanced gamemode, you’ll feel less frustrated.

Otherwise it’d be like playing with a Skunk and hoping to not come out smelly.