**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5-Star Featured Crystal Change Discussion Thread

Comments

• JaffacakedJaffacaked Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    Jaffacaked wrote: »
    Jaffacaked wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    You aren't getting an increased chance at Ant-Man.

I’ll give you a hand with the math...

Basic Pool - 84 champions (when the new crystal arrives), one of which is Ant-Man. Therefore, I have a 1/84, or 1.19%, chance to pull him from a basic, 10k shard 5* crystal.

New Featured Pool - 24 champions, one of which is Antman. From this crystal, I have a 1/24, or 4.16%, chance at pulling him from this awful new Featured 5* Crystal.

Seems to me that if I want to dupe one of the worst champions in the game for the third time, the featured is the way to go.

It's not advertised as "Increased Chance At Ant-Man". The probability may be greater, but probability is not concrete when we are dealing with RNG. Actually, your math is correct, but the focus is not right. The current Crystal has a higher Basic probability than anything. That means you currently have a greater chance at a Champ you don't want.

How is it possible that in this entire thread, this is the most bizarre sequence of words I've read all day.
    People are defocusing on one Champ, Ant-Man. Which for all intensive purposes represents an unfavorable pull. As it stands, the estimated probability of pulling a Basic is much higher than the 4% that represents Ant-Man.

Seriously still with "intensive purpose

For all intensive purposed is the eggcorn term. It's commonly used. Are we seriously that hungry for an argument that we have to dissect wording?

Its not it's your own made up wording. You find it necessary to tell people when you think they are wrong so just returning the favour.
    Here's a little history lesson on the term. http://www.dictionary.com/e/for-all-intents-and-purposes-for-all-intensive-purposes/

Seeing as how I'm not Publishing, I'm commenting on the Thread, I'll use whatever version I please.
    Back to the topic.

Yeah it's still wrong from what I read but don't fear you are not alone it seems
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,191 ★★★★★
    Mmx1991 wrote: »
    People earn their Shards the same way, with the exception of a few Offers. How they spend them is really not that consequential. I don't believe it's possible that NO ONE will buy it. However, I don't think it makes a difference to them whether you purchase a Basic or a Featured.

Your absolutely right. They don't care what you spend your shards on, only that you spend your units and money on the featured grandmaster crystals.

I can't say that that's accurate either. We don't know the rates of those Crystals, but I suspect that landing a Featured 5* would be less than 4%.

Your once again missing the point. They don't care what your chances are. If you buy the FGMC there is a 100% chance of 1 thing....increasing their profits.

They may be a business, but that doesn't mean every change is for the sole purpose of extracting money.

Have you ever gone for a feature 5*? I have over 20 times, they’re a lot of fun and the part of the game I look forward to most. The spin is exciting, I even occasionally watch the spins of others. I like having a small amount of (earned) control over my roster, I’m definitely going to miss it.

Spinning any Crystal has that excitement. You always hope for what you want. Let's face it. What's going to be missed is the fast-track to a new Champ.

Anything fast tracked about grinding your fingers off for 6 months saving 150k shards for a specific champ? Or is it fast tracking when whales spend Odins and get them in 10 minutes?

It doesn't take 6 months to open a Crystal that has a drop rate higher than any other in the game, as far as one specific Champ is concerned.

It takes many months of grinding to save 120-135k shards for a specific champ. Much slower than a whale who spins him in 10 minutes.

Kabam just screwed every player who worked hard for their champions.
    What do whales have to do with it? You think they are benefitting from this? Statistically, those whales have more Shards than you. Which is why they roll every Champ they go for. You would be staggered to see the results of the GMC. Have a look on YouTube sometime. The amount of money you would have to invest to compensate for drops that the current Featured Crystals have is just ludicrous. Some may have that much money, sure. Certainly not a target audience. The changes mean fair drops. Not better drops for those that allegedly work harder.
    edited January 2018
    This new move is just a way to make more money, they've seen profits go up from the GMC an have decided to push those to make more money
  • NinjAlan wrote: »
    Kabam, do you think we are blind? This is clearly an attempt to encourage us to purchase the 300 unit crystals. Shameful in all respects

There is no evidence to support this because there's nothing that says the drop rate of the 5* Featured is higher in those Crystals.

Do you even hear what you are saying? It has nothing to do with drop rates.
    NinjAlan wrote: »
    Kabam, do you think we are blind? This is clearly an attempt to encourage us to purchase the 300 unit crystals. Shameful in all respects

There is no evidence to support this because there's nothing that says the drop rate of the 5* Featured is higher in those Crystals.

I hear what I'm saying. People are conjecturing that this has something to do with the GMC sales. It does not, and there is no evidence that would even be a lucrative move, or that it would be a viable option. People aren't going to buy them thinking they have a better chance because there is no evidence or results to support they do. It's common on the Forum. Enter - Change we don't like, Output - Must be for money.
    edited January 2018

I hear what I'm saying. People are conjecturing that this has something to do with the GMC sales. It does not, and there is no evidence that would even be a lucrative move, or that it would be a viable option. People aren't going to buy them thinking they have a better chance because there is no evidence or results to support they do. It's common on the Forum. Enter - Change we don't like, Output - Must be for money.

Entre- kabam nerf.
    Output- gw to defend them

So how many feature 5* have you saved an pulled for ?
    I for one will not be spending an extra 5k shards to get a lower Chance at feature an risk pull ****. It makes more sense now to spend 10k an get a chance at Dr v, GP, icey, sparky etc
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    Expect every new champ after Feb to have increasingly higher prestige (like they did for a very long time after the release of AV). Gotta sell the featured GMC somehow

Yes, this is correct. You will be able to win them in the Grandmaster Featured Hero Crystal, but some Champions will not make it into the Featured Hero Crystal for some time.

That's from Mike. Still want to say there is no evidence? If delaying champs hitting the featured crystals but putting them in the FGMC isn't pushing players to buy them I don't know what is.

I was talking about the actual possibility of pulling one of them from the GMC. Which is rare. The rarest possibility in that Crystal. No one is pushing anyone to buy anything. People always decide for themselves. What we have now is a very complex system that is comprised of a majority of Basics that are growing in number, a mid-level possibility of a Featured Champ, and a tiny possibility of a Subfeatured. What this does is make the Crystals less congested and more suited to what people want to go for. Of course, that won't be visible if your view is that nothing has a reason outside of money.
  • Ok. Unfoundedwisdom, you win. Only because there is no point talking to someone that refuses to see what's right in front of them.

Yes, this is correct. You will be able to win them in the Grandmaster Featured Hero Crystal, but some Champions will not make it into the Featured Hero Crystal for some time.

That's from Mike. Still want to say there is no evidence? If delaying champs hitting the featured crystals but putting them in the FGMC isn't pushing players to buy them I don't know what is.

I was talking about the actual possibility of pulling one of them from the GMC. Which is rare. The rarest possibility in that Crystal. No one is pushing anyone to buy anything. People always decide for themselves. What we have now is a very complex system that is comprised of a majority of Basics that are growing in number, a mid-level possibility of a Featured Champ, and a tiny possibility of a Subfeatured. What this does is make the Crystals less congested and more suited to what people want to go for. Of course, that won't be visible if your view is that nothing has a reason outside of money.

Ok. Unfoundedwisdom, you win. Only because there is no point talking to someone that refuses to see what's right in front of them and I'm tired of listening to defend what is nothing more than a money grab.
    edited January 2018
    We can agree to disagree. Sure.
  • richo82richo82 Posts: 50
    I understand what they say they are doing with the featured crystal.
    Think about it's relevance though. Currently you open a feature crystal to either target a specific champ or to get the newest champion content available, now the newest champ in the feature will be available 2 weeks old and to the end of the run there'll be a "feature" champ that is 6 months old. How is that relevant.
    Yes I get it you want to give the champ a 3 month spin, so how about you cycle the crystal every fortnight, take out the 3 month old champ, put in a fresh one as well as 3 of the basics. That will maintain some relevance at the same time as making the simple alternative to a champ being available as a feature for longer.
    Once again another simple idea from Kabam very poorly executed.
  • richo82richo82 Posts: 50
    Or is it lazyness because they dont have to re code the crystal as often, 1 less sofware engineer to employ
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    edited January 2018
    People earn their Shards the same way, with the exception of a few Offers. How they spend them is really not that consequential. I don't believe it's possible that NO ONE will buy it. However, I don't think it makes a difference to them whether you purchase a Basic or a Featured.

Your absolutely right. They don't care what you spend your shards on, only that you spend your units and money on the featured grandmaster crystals.

I can't say that that's accurate either. We don't know the rates of those Crystals, but I suspect that landing a Featured 5* would be less than 4%.

Your once again missing the point. They don't care what your chances are. If you buy the FGMC there is a 100% chance of 1 thing....increasing their profits.

They may be a business, but that doesn't mean every change is for the sole purpose of extracting money.

Have you ever gone for a feature 5*? I have over 20 times, they’re a lot of fun and the part of the game I look forward to most. The spin is exciting, I even occasionally watch the spins of others. I like having a small amount of (earned) control over my roster, I’m definitely going to miss it.

Spinning any Crystal has that excitement. You always hope for what you want. Let's face it. What's going to be missed is the fast-track to a new Champ.

Anything fast tracked about grinding your fingers off for 6 months saving 150k shards for a specific champ? Or is it fast tracking when whales spend Odins and get them in 10 minutes?

It doesn't take 6 months to open a Crystal that has a drop rate higher than any other in the game, as far as one specific Champ is concerned.

It takes many months of grinding to save 120-135k shards for a specific champ. Much slower than a whale who spins him in 10 minutes.

What do whales have to do with it? You think they are benefitting from this? Statistically, those whales have more Shards than you. Which is why they roll every Champ they go for. You would be staggered to see the results of the GMC. Have a look on YouTube sometime. The amount of money you would have to invest to compensate for drops that the current Featured Crystals have is just ludicrous. Some may have that much money, sure. Certainly not a target audience. The changes mean fair drops. Not better drops for those that allegedly work harder.

GW you’re off the mark on this one. This change indirectly benefits all the whales who are willing to spend thousands on feature grandmaster crystals to get the feature 5* champion, because of the now exclusivity of new 5* champions. I’m referring to the higher tier players so try to stay with me. The best way to get the latest 5* version of a new champion is through feature grandmaster crystals, especially if a new champion is released just after the latest 3-month feature 5* crystal. You would need 24 new feature 5* crystals (360k 5* shards) to have the same chance as 5 feature 5* crystals now (assuming 20% feature chance). So if a new champion comes out that is absolutely god-tier and with top prestige, the whales who have thousands to spend on this game are the ones who will get that champion and have a higher edge on non-whales. Where as before, any BrianGrant could save up all their 5* shards and have a pretty decent chance at getting the featured 5* champion if they saved enough. To say that this change will not affect at all the amount of feature grandmaster crystals being purchased is naive.

“The amount of money you would have to invest to compensate for drops that the current Featured Crystals have is just ludicrous” - that is the definition of a whale, now you know.

• Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    What do whales have to do with it? You think they are benefitting from this? Statistically, those whales have more Shards than you. Which is why they roll every Champ they go for. You would be staggered to see the results of the GMC. Have a look on YouTube sometime. The amount of money you would have to invest to compensate for drops that the current Featured Crystals have is just ludicrous. Some may have that much money, sure. Certainly not a target audience.

You mentioned that "fast-tracking" will be missed with these new crystals. For many players there wasn't any fast tracking. Many would grind their butts off and save for 5 months for a feature. Fast tracking is when whales spin them in out 5 minutes.

The new featured crystal will only lengthen the divide between whales and players who earn their champs through hard work.

The changes mean fair drops. Not better drops for those that allegedly work harder.

So hard work is unfair now? Someone who saves for 8 tries at a feature is somehow oppressing and unfairly dominating someone who only has 3 tries? And because of that we should make it harder for everyone so we can protect the lazy and unwilling?

GW you’re off the mark on this one. This change indirectly benefits all the whales who are willing to spend thousands on feature grandmaster crystals to get the feature 5* champion, because of the now exclusivity of new 5* champions. I’m referring to the higher tier players so try to stay with me. The best way to get the latest 5* version of a new champion is through feature grandmaster crystals, especially if a new champion is released just after the latest 3-month feature 5* crystal. You would need 24 new feature 5* crystals (360k 5* shards) to have the same chance as 5 feature 5* crystals now (assuming 20% feature chance). So if a new champion comes out that is absolutely god-tier and with top prestige, the whales who have thousands to spend on this game are the ones who will get that champion and have a higher edge on non-whales. Where as before, any BrianGrant could save up all their 5* shards and have a pretty decent chance at getting the featured 5* champion if they saved enough. To say that this change will not affect at all the amount of feature grandmaster crystals being purchased is naive.

“The amount of money you would have to invest to compensate for drops that the current Featured Crystals have is just ludicrous” - that is the definition of a whale, now you know.

Nothing is stopping that from happening now. Although I don't think the number of people who have that much to spend is large. Anyone can buy the GMC right now. Whether spending or Shards, those whales are going to get what they want in any system. This change is about the Crystals, not the spending. That's just my opinion.
  • Mmx1991 wrote: »

Nothing is stopping that from happening now. Although I don't think the number of people who have that much to spend is large. Anyone can buy the GMC right now. Whether spending or Shards, those whales are going to get what they want in any system. This change is about the Crystals, not the spending. That's just my opinion.

And your totally entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    Whether spending or Shards, those whales are going to get what they want in any system.

Except that now, non-whales can't get what they want. Non-whales don't have the option of saving anymore.

This change is about the Crystals, not the spending.

Which is why non-whales are getting screwed...

Make sense now?

• KyrieRedKyrieRed Posts: 287 ★★
    edited January 2018
    The community never likes your head scratching ideas. Take a hint Kabam!!!
  • crunactioncrunaction Posts: 39
    edited January 2018
    Just talked to the team, and they are comfortable with sharing the list of Champions we plan to include in the first Featured Champion Crystal. It's important to note that this list could still potentially change a little before the release, but the selected Champions are based on empirical data showing their effectiveness as 5-Star Champions in both Alliance Quests and Alliance Wars.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Cyclops (New Xavier School)
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

Bold Text denotes Featured Champions.

@Kabam Miike if this list is really based off AQ/AW, im certainly surprised that many mystic champs are not in there. e.g. magik, dormammu. magik esp since she is used as both attacker and defender in both AQ/AW. Dormammu is of course, AQ boss and a common AW mini and boss. Other champs like iceman, spiderman and nightcrawler are also all over AW at all tier level. im very sure they have been more effective and widely used than champs like antman, venompool, beast, jane thor and civil warrior.

i can see why champs like phoenix, storm, cable and cyclops are in e list (possible effective defenders at lower AW tiers while cable n cyclops (previous season) are mini bosses) but definitely not the above 5.
  • One More Nerf wow. . . I think kabam didn't earning well from GMC. . If want 5* featured hero Spend money you will get at least 3* version maybe. . . . I m finally done with this game. . . your keep ruining Awesome game i really disappointed and quiting #boycottmcoc #boycottmcoc
  • With the introduction of this please do 3 things

1: lower cost to 7500 and 10000 respectively

2: are the odds in the 10k crystal the same for each champ? like the percentage for the upcoming 25k

3: increase inventory space of T2A etc with this upcoming change to allow us to save a little longer

please respond
    thx
    Whether spending or Shards, those whales are going to get what they want in any system.

Except that now, non-whales can't get what they want. Non-whales don't have the option of saving anymore.

This change is about the Crystals, not the spending.

Which is why non-whales are getting screwed...

Make sense now?

Spending is not a justification. The game is built on a spending-optional model. It's not about competing with those that are spending. Any game that allows spending is going to see people who spend advance faster. There isn't anything to be done that would resolve that outside of making it entirely free, in which case there wouldn't be a game to play.
    That's not just the game. It's life. I'm sure we would all like to have access to what people with significant funds have, but if we don't have the money, then we don't.
    Back to the Crystal. As I said before, the drop rate was too high in my opinion. I'm for it because it gives an equal chance at any Champ in the Crystal, increased chance at a new Champ, a rotation of Champs that were already overcrowding it (something that has been brought up many times by Players), and allows for more educated decisions on what people choose to venture for. There are more factors that go into justifying it for me than the increased chance at a Champ as soon as it comes out. People spending is not a consequence for me. It's their money.
  • SgtSlaughter78SgtSlaughter78 Posts: 462 ★★★
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    I mean this in the worst of ways. Your team is deluded. In what universe are those champs even semi useful? Tier 20? There is NOBODY in any decent ally using 90% of those champs anywhere but defense (and only a couple for that) let alone **** attack or aq. They are NOT top options. Not a single one is god tier. Pathetic. Open your eyes.

If you are not a fan of the Champions in the Crystal, you can always wait until the Featured Champion you like is added to the Basic Pool, like the 3-Star and 4-Star Champions.

Also, nobody said they are the top Champions, and while player perception of these Champions may differ, these Champions are ones that people use to great success.

So someone sticks Cyclops on an Unblockable SP1 node in AW and picks up a few kills and this suddenly means that he is an ‘effective’ champ?

Actually, yes.
    Miike, take this back to the ‘team’. Have them come onto the forum for for an hour at some point and answer questions directly.

I personally believe in better communications between players and game developers and I've fought for that myself in the past. But yeah, that's not going to happen.

It might make him effective in War on that node, but it does NOT make him an effective champ for people trying to progress through end content and the like of LOL.

You're correct, and as soon as you find a quote from a Kabam employee that says the intent of the new featured crystal is to pack it with champions players can use to complete LoL, I will be right there with you complaining that the crystal fails to meet its objective.

But since Kabam has only stated that the intent of the crystal is to contain the most recent six featured champions plus a curated set of eighteen other 5* champions that try to avoid the least effective champions when played by the players, Cyclops having a reasonable use as a placed defender appears to explicitly do exactly what they said the crystal will do.

That’s the point here. Literally the whole community is trying to demonstrate (in different ways, using different arguments) that this crystal is a bad idea and not fit for the purpose of what people save and spend 15k shards for.

They could have picked even a more ‘middling’ set of 18 champs and made reasonable arguements for their inclusion.

This makes it less likely for people to get the champ that they want, unless they have the ability to spend for it. That’s the ultimate change here.

Nobody is suggesting that they introduce a crystal ‘packed’ with champs to complete LOL, that would after all be a crystal with one champ in it anyway, but the crystal they are introducing seems to miss the mark by some distance.

Again, I’m not a Kabam hater and not just flaming this for the sake of jumping on the bandwagon.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

It's not about drop rate, it's about wanting a specific champ.

Correct. The reason for rolling a Featured is. I'm talking about the drop rate because a GMC is more rare than a Featured, at least theoretically since I don't know the actual numbers. I'm sure people will try it, but I don't see it as a more enticing offer.
  • ImranImran Posts: 587 ★★★
    edited January 2018
    Increase the chance of feature hero in feature crystal which cost extra shard than regular shard. Then that will be interesting and enjoyable.
    Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Correct. The reason for rolling a Featured is. I'm talking about the drop rate because a GMC is more rare than a Featured, at least theoretically since I don't know the actual numbers. I'm sure people will try it, but I don't see it as a more enticing offer.

My personal experience is 0-14 on Featured 5* crystals. Got Blade for 3k units from GM. What I have observed is that most people are either lucky or unlucky at both which gives the lie to the Kabam position on drop rates. But most people would rather take their chances on a better chance at a champ they want than an equal chance for 20+ champs that they know they don't want. This is a horrible crystal and I'd be stunned if it isn't an abject failure.