**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5-Star Featured Crystal Change Discussion Thread

Comments

• ApacheApache Posts: 558 ★★
    This is becoming arguing for the sake of argument. I'm going to move on in the discussion now.

No don’t go. You must know something we don’t about the selection process
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    I know what everyone else knows. That they're looking at Champs based on imperial data, that they're making an effort not to include the ones that perform poorly, and that there is a varied range in the Crystal.
    I am entitled to my own opinion based on the information presented. That's not up for debate.
  • RedRoosterRedRooster Posts: 337 ★★
    Anyone that is trying to sell me on the idea that the benefit of the new crystal is that you get a higher chance at a "featured" champion versus a basic champion does not understand the attractiveness of 5* featured crystals within the player community.

The novelty or "newness" of a champ has very little to do with why the crystal is desirable.
    1) The current featured crystal is the best chance you have to awaken/dupe a 5* champ in the game right now.
    2) It is your best chance to obtain a likely high damage or high utility 5* champ by using early feedback and deciding if they are the champ you need
    3) It is your best chance to target a champ that you have the rank up materials or awakening gem for.
    4) Re-runs are icing on the cake because it gives you the second chance to either obtain or awaken the champ you've invested in
    5) Let's not forget that for higher tiers, it is possible to target high prestige and boost that prestige with an awakening

5* champs are still the most expensive to obtain and rank up. They are still the most powerful champs that we have access to in the game and duping a champ is one of the fundamental factors in deciding who we rank up in the game. Why do you think the first question out of most people is: "Is your champ awakened?"

You can also look at how people save their shards, they don't save shards for just any random featured champ, they save them for high utility champs that are going to help them in the game. Kabam even acknowledged that implictly by saying 'Yeah we know you are all saving for Blade".

We also look at featured champs based on resources we've acquired, how many of us are sitting on science awakening gems waiting for a decent science champ? Or we have catalysts waiting to expire and we want to use them on a decent 5* champ instead of just more arena fodder.

All of this goes away with the new crystal and the best I can say about it is that it gives us the opportunity at a decent number of middle of the road champs.

It seems obvious to me that their empirical data is not based on top alliances. Some might say that that is how it should be. I'm going to say that sampling bias is not necessarily bad bias. The bottom or beginning players just play the champs that they have, not necessarily the champs that are effective (this is already skewing your data). Top alliances have the chance to place proven and effective defences and to use effective attackers.

Let's say you get financial advice? Do get advice from a grad student, a mainstream consultant and a finance guru? Or do you go straight to the finance guru?

Anyway, I would like to hear from Kabam, and try to ask some constructive questions:
    1) What population do you draw your empirical data from? All players/alliances? Top 10%?
    2) What is/are the definition(s) of effective? Kills? Damage output?
  • xxgonzoxxxxgonzoxx Posts: 83
    @Kabam Miike please do not make this change. If you were to add a different crystal with rotating characters that would be fine. For those of us reaching the point where saving and aiming for certain characters is becoming viable this is a huge slap in the face. It also puts us at a huge disadvantage against other summoners who have benifited from the featured character crystals. Just please reconsider i know there has been a lot of negative feedback besides mine.
  • RedRoosterRedRooster Posts: 337 ★★
    Something I thought about but forgot to add...

If you're getting me to pay a 50% premium on the most expensive crystal, make it worth it. I don't necessarily get an increased chance at the champs I want or need, if I can't target high utility or class of the resources that I have.

You're just giving me a better shot at something "new".
  • KiKu17KiKu17 Posts: 8
    Is there is any change in the shards required for the new featured five star crystals or its the same 15K shards. Why can't kabam reduce the required shards to 13K because it's too hard obtain 5 Star shards and 15K is 50% more than than the normal 5 Star shards.
  • RiegelRiegel Posts: 1,088 ★★★★
    This is a terrible idea and we have to rely on Kabam to put non-garbage champs in the crystal. Huge mistake. Just look at what's coming in the first crystal.
  • So has the odds for GMC changed with this update? And is there a scheduled cycle of projected release of those?
  • FrnkieloFrnkielo Posts: 311 ★★
    Kabam needs to understand that those of us who risk the extra 5k shards risk it for a specific champ..and for that specific champ to have a much higher percentage of dropping then other champions...the great part of the featured crystal is that if we miss we still can pull a Hyperion or iceman of voodooo or star lord...the new crystal now takes the champ we want and says wait 3 months before u get a 4 percent chance at it and 23 other champions that we don’t care if you want or not
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    Hi kabam no derailing or anything bad but please can we have your input to whether you would consider any of ours suggestions to switch up the crystal idea pretty please?
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    This empirical data statement is nonsense - Hiding behind your desks looking at your data of effectiveness and not confronting your player base. I usually take the bigger picture side here, and defend the decisions of the company, but I just cant here. That statement is a bunch of garbage and is a huge slap to your player base.

I've got some empirical data for you. I just surveyed 36 pages of people complaining about this new step forward for the game, and the future of these crystals look pretty grim. Clock is ticking to do some damage control.
  • MahvelMahvel Posts: 67
    Make that 0/15 featureds now. This change is terrible. Nerfing an already unrewarding system.
  • Tiago1980Tiago1980 Posts: 34
    We walked for a boycott of crystal 15k
  • CrDizCrDiz Posts: 4
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    I mean this in the worst of ways. Your team is deluded. In what universe are those champs even semi useful? Tier 20? There is NOBODY in any decent ally using 90% of those champs anywhere but defense (and only a couple for that) let alone **** attack or aq. They are NOT top options. Not a single one is god tier. Pathetic. Open your eyes.

If you are not a fan of the Champions in the Crystal, you can always wait until the Featured Champion you like is added to the Basic Pool, like the 3-Star and 4-Star Champions.

Also, nobody said they are the top Champions, and while player perception of these Champions may differ, these Champions are ones that people use to great success.

Oh my god, why do you keep saying this? Nobody believes most of these champions on the list are being used by players "to great success." Unless by this you mean these players used some of these champs to great success, given that they were forced to use a garbage champ like cyclops, Antman, Loki, Phoenix , venompool, civil warrior. If there were one time Cyclops managed to take down a Dorm miniboss in AW, without reviving, the "great success" was that it actually happened given that they were using cyclops.
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    This is becoming arguing for the sake of argument. I'm going to move on in the discussion now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mzDyEQR_Y
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Mmx1991 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mzDyEQR_Y

Thanks. Now it's in my head. Haha. Next it'll be Rick Astley. XD
    To be fair the mods say what they are told so when they say something like antman will bring you success then yeah they really need to research more on how the game works in real life.
    edited January 2018
    Exactly hubris hubra it has been 36 pages why would we stop for you?
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    “I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively.”

"Among the most effective".

Among implies compared to other champs.

Who are these other champs?

Cyclops might be very effective COMPARED TO Hulk Buster and Luke Cage, but he's not an effective tool.

If a car that has a top speed of 20mph is compared to others who can only go a max of 15mph, you can claim that it's "among the most effective", but it's not an effective car.

People can use all the mental gymnastic they want to justify these decisions, but reality says most of these champs aren't "among the most effective" at all.