Summoners: The Thronebreaker Progression Point has been delayed, and will not launch October 1st, as previously planned. We are aiming to launch it next week and will have more information for you all as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your understanding.

Champion Spotlight - Sentry [Updated: Added 5-Star Stats]

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 24,825 ★★★★★
    edited January 2018
    Axo4545 wrote: »
    Apache wrote: »
    It's not shady. It's PR. They don't give both Champs for testing usually. Sentry is no different than any of the other additions. Realistically, they can emphasize any Champ they want. That's been a common theme. There's usually one out of the two released every month that is the one people want. Howard and Hyperion comes to mind. All the way to Rags and Hela. They're not always going to make both Champs OP.
    Twunt wrote: »
    Do you see the Void preview and YouTube videos popping up? Funny how Kabam didn’t want Sentry to be tested by content creators program but we see Void taking out RoL Wolverine. Pretty shady.

Absolutely right, but both champs are normally useful in some area of the game. Seems that sentry isn't useful anywhere (other than arena fodder), but you are right they can emphasize any champ they want and promote that champ anyway they want. Much like when a studio promotes a new movie. They can build it up to sound really good even though it turns out to be ****. That's called baiting the hook. It gets people to spend their money to go see the movie, or in the case try for the champ and in the end that's what they wanted in the first place...people's money.

That's their Bio, and it's always been amped up, and partially based on their Comics origins. That's done with any Champ that's introduced, regardless of whether they're OP or not. They're not going to introduce them as "Sentry enters the Contest. Power of a million exploding suns but you wont like him!". Examine all Bios. That's the point of them. To give a back story, and it's always made to sound appealing. The fact that people are focusing on it as some sort of false advertising now makes no sense to me at all. It's never a wise decision to make choices based on the Bio. It's the Spotlight you want to examine, mainly the actual Abilities and information therein. Those of us playing for years know this. That's exactly how he performs.

Did I mention false advertising? No I did not. All I said is that they can emphasize or promote the champ anyway they want, which is basically what you said. I do like how you side step the whole point of my post though. Great job. I also started play when the game was released so I'm in the "those of us that have been playing for years" category.

You compared them to movies that "bait the hook". There have been others that focused on the Bio in this Thread and mentioned false advertising. Same subject, same vibe. The Bio has very little to do with the actual stats, and people aren't acknowledging that he performs as implied. The reality is we can't say he's not useful anywhere. There isn't enough data to support that. He hasn't been out long enough.

To the others this is my last response to this guy I swear.

I also never said anything about his bio. If you think baiting the hook and false advertising is the same thing then you are sadly mistaken. Baiting the hook is no different than a commercial for a product. The advertising lures or sways you to buy their product. False advertising is when the product does not perform as advertised. There is a big difference there.
    Not enough data? From what I've seen and heard numerous players have tried him in every aspect of the game and found that he is useless in all of them. That's reality. If you can find 1 video or post from someone besides a mod that says that he is useful somewhere besides arena fodder and explains why he's useful in that area then I will change my view.

It takes months to collect sufficient data to draw those conclusions.

no it doesn't

Actually it does. Collecting data on a Champ requires months of game play in as many modes as possible, and doesn't really center around the amount of Damage they do solely. That's why they don't buff new Champs right away, typically. It's not a matter of taking them into a few Fights of ROL. It's not even about End-Game Content alone. They have to allow for a significant enough sample to analyze. That takes time, and there is a protocol for revisions. A week in the Roster is not enough to look at, really. This is common with most situations like this in games, and it seems to be the same model that this game adheres to. There is a process to it, and a method to looking at overall efficiency.

So your basically saying that the beta testing is pointless then. Since it's not month's long they won't be able to collect enough data to determine if they should make the changes or not.

That's unrelated conjecture. Those Champs have been in the Roster a long time. Long enough to have collected data on them to revise them. The Beta Testing is being done because they have enough data to have made the decision to revise. You've already expressed in the other Thread that you're trying to make some point about challenging me. I'm over it. I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of it. I won't be engaging with it anymore.
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,844 ★★★★
    @Axo4545 you'll learn not to feed him..lol.
    Kabam can do whatever they want but they don't like to admit mistakes. Sentry is the biggest blunder since Carnage and it took them months to admit that. Unfortunately he's even worse than Carnage. I suspect the same thing happened. They built him and he was to powerful so they nerfed him way to hard. My understanding the same thing happened to Carnage.
  • DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 429 ★★
    It's not shady. It's PR. They don't give both Champs for testing usually. Sentry is no different than any of the other additions. Realistically, they can emphasize any Champ they want. That's been a common theme. There's usually one out of the two released every month that is the one people want. Howard and Hyperion comes to mind. All the way to Rags and Hela. They're not always going to make both Champs OP.
    Do you see the Void preview and YouTube videos popping up? Funny how Kabam didn’t want Sentry to be tested by content creators program but we see Void taking out RoL Wolverine. Pretty shady.

Absolutely right, but both champs are normally useful in some area of the game. Seems that sentry isn't useful anywhere (other than arena fodder), but you are right they can emphasize any champ they want and promote that champ anyway they want. Much like when a studio promotes a new movie. They can build it up to sound really good even though it turns out to be ****. That's called baiting the hook. It gets people to spend their money to go see the movie, or in the case try for the champ and in the end that's what they wanted in the first place...people's money.

That's their Bio, and it's always been amped up, and partially based on their Comics origins. That's done with any Champ that's introduced, regardless of whether they're OP or not. They're not going to introduce them as "Sentry enters the Contest. Power of a million exploding suns but you wont like him!". Examine all Bios. That's the point of them. To give a back story, and it's always made to sound appealing. The fact that people are focusing on it as some sort of false advertising now makes no sense to me at all. It's never a wise decision to make choices based on the Bio. It's the Spotlight you want to examine, mainly the actual Abilities and information therein. Those of us playing for years know this. That's exactly how he performs.

Did I mention false advertising? No I did not. All I said is that they can emphasize or promote the champ anyway they want, which is basically what you said. I do like how you side step the whole point of my post though. Great job. I also started play when the game was released so I'm in the "those of us that have been playing for years" category.

You compared them to movies that "bait the hook". There have been others that focused on the Bio in this Thread and mentioned false advertising. Same subject, same vibe. The Bio has very little to do with the actual stats, and people aren't acknowledging that he performs as implied. The reality is we can't say he's not useful anywhere. There isn't enough data to support that. He hasn't been out long enough.

I also never said anything about his bio. If you think baiting the hook and false advertising is the same thing then you are sadly mistaken. Baiting the hook is no different than a commercial for a product. The advertising lures or sways you to buy their product. False advertising is when the product does not perform as advertised. There is a big difference there.
    Not enough data? From what I've seen and heard numerous players have tried him in every aspect of the game and found that he is useless in all of them. That's reality. If you can find 1 video or post from someone besides a mod that says that he is useful somewhere besides arena fodder and explains why he's useful in that area then I will change my view.

no it doesn't

Actually it does. Collecting data on a Champ requires months of game play in as many modes as possible, and doesn't really center around the amount of Damage they do solely. That's why they don't buff new Champs right away, typically. It's not a matter of taking them into a few Fights of ROL. It's not even about End-Game Content alone. They have to allow for a significant enough sample to analyze. That takes time, and there is a protocol for revisions. A week in the Roster is not enough to look at, really. This is common with most situations like this in games, and it seems to be the same model that this game adheres to. There is a process to it, and a method to looking at overall efficiency.

So your basically saying that the beta testing is pointless then. Since it's not month's long they won't be able to collect enough data to determine if they should make the changes or not.

That's unrelated conjecture. Those Champs have been in the Roster a long time. Long enough to have collected data on them to revise them. The Beta Testing is being done because they have enough data to have made the decision to revise. You've already expressed in the other Thread that you're trying to make some point about challenging me. I'm over it. I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of it. I won't be engaging with it anymore.

Before the 12.0 update they had done a update to Scarlet Witch which was met with an immediate backlash. Kabam switched her back the very same day.
  • BsnkomBsnkom Posts: 25
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 10,879 Guardian
    JAQRIPP wrote: »
    How many books are you going to write defending sentry? @DNA3000 . If people aren’t happy with him and a change can be made then let it happen. I will post a picture that is self explanatory...

If you actually read the book instead of just coloring the pictures, you will see that nowhere do I defend the design of Sentry. In fact, I did the numerical analysis to suggest that even though most videos do not show optimal play with Sentry, optimal play would only bring his damage to slightly above average, and optimal play is non-trivial since power gain has to line up with the state changes. I also made my own suggestions for improving Sentry.

• Bsnkom wrote: »
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?

Pretty sure it is a fake.

@Kabam Miike can you confirm it is fake

• Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    Bsnkom wrote: »
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?

Don't have any links but yeeeeeees!
  • Neroa65Neroa65 Posts: 302 ★★
    Bsnkom wrote: »
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?

Well I most certainly hope it's not fake.
    edited January 2018

no it doesn't

That's unrelated conjecture. Champs have been in the Roster a long time. Long enough to have collected data on them to revise them. The Beta Testing is being done because they have enough data to have made the decision to revise. You've already expressed in the other Thread that you're trying to make some point about challenging me. I'm over it. I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of it.

Yet you do it all the time. The point of beta testing is just that, to test to see if they need to make changes to the revisions before they are released. It is not just so some can have a sneak peek. Therefore they are collecting data and doing it in a lot shorter time than you stated that it takes

Closed beta testing generally tests to make sure things are working as directly intended, and to allow players the opportunity to provide feedback before the changes are more or less frozen. During closed betas, the development process is slightly more flexible to take and act on input. That flexibility drops once the closed beta test ends and the changes go live.

The data a developer collects during beta test is not generally the same as the data they collect during normal operations. And things can still be broken or under/over perform after beta test, because the beta test is necessarily limited. And it is only as good as the beta testers collectively are capable of testing.
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?

I can confirm that this is fake. I did not say this.
    0ub0qdmegyod.png

Any link to this post?

I can confirm that this is fake. I did not say this.

Rip sentrys Chance at a buff. Anyways thanks.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

no it doesn't

That's unrelated conjecture. Champs have been in the Roster a long time. Long enough to have collected data on them to revise them. The Beta Testing is being done because they have enough data to have made the decision to revise. You've already expressed in the other Thread that you're trying to make some point about challenging me. I'm over it. I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of it.

Yet you do it all the time. The point of beta testing is just that, to test to see if they need to make changes to the revisions before they are released. It is not just so some can have a sneak peek. Therefore they are collecting data and doing it in a lot shorter time than you stated that it takes

Closed beta testing generally tests to make sure things are working as directly intended, and to allow players the opportunity to provide feedback before the changes are more or less frozen. During closed betas, the development process is slightly more flexible to take and act on input. That flexibility drops once the closed beta test ends and the changes go live.

The data a developer collects during beta test is not generally the same as the data they collect during normal operations. And things can still be broken or under/over perform after beta test, because the beta test is necessarily limited. And it is only as good as the beta testers collectively are capable of testing.

Still collecting data in a short amount of time and that data can affect the end result.

Well, yes. But the distinction was between drawing the conclusion that a champion is underperforming and needs changes, and determining if a set of changes is working as originally intended as part of making changes to an existing champion. Normally, the former takes time because of the kind of data that's being collected, unless the problem is extreme. And I won't quibble over the definition of "extreme" except to say, for every developer, it has to be "extreme enough" by their standards. The latter takes much less time and data to draw reasonable conclusions.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★

Wrong.
  • Ace_03Ace_03 Posts: 922 ★★★★
    So I came up with an idea, SENTRY fix: make his states last a specific set amount of time like Dr Strange and activate 100% of the time, if you have say 8 sec, it would make you be strategic to use the state you need, make his reality warps increase his attack or his critical rate, plus either increase his armor or his physical resistance.

His sig should let you recuperate health by consuming reality warps, up to 5 for 20% health back per reality warp. And have it trigger like hyperion's heal. For those that would think is OP, keep in mind it takes 40 hits to get just one RW, so if you consume them all you get all your health back, but sacrifice the extra damage and the multiplier and have to build it up again.
  • Mcord117Mcord117 Posts: 1,723 ★★★★
    It is clear Kabam knew/knows sentry is a terrible champ and void is not. Just go to YouTube and look at which champ was available to content providers and which was not. Very clear they know he is a turd
  • I wonder if kabam will make a post discussing sentry in a later time
    I wonder if kabam will make a post discussing sentry in a later time

It would be nice to hear their thoughts but doubt we get more than working as intended or not all champs are equal speech. They seem to be on lock down and rightfully so. Nothing they say except we messed up and are looking to make it right would be helpful. I'm still dumbfounded by how bad he is, it's really unfortunate because he has a great moveset and is fun to fight with. Someone did a great job designing his moves and specials, a shame to see that great work go to waste.
  • DaMunk wrote: »
    I wonder if kabam will make a post discussing sentry in a later time

It would be nice to hear their thoughts but doubt we get more than working as intended or not all champs are equal speech. They seem to be on lock down and rightfully so. Nothing they say except we messed up and are looking to make it right would be helpful. I'm still dumbfounded by how bad he is, it's really unfortunate because he has a great moveset and is fun to fight with. Someone did a great job designing his moves and specials, a shame to see that great work go to waste.

I just expect a little more you know (wrong move I know) but sentry is one of my top champs I wanted in marvel coc. I like sentry even before I played marvel coc so I got happy when I got him in 1 try, but he is just no bad. I would be cool
    Even if he was average or just a little above average just he is just plain worse than carbage, and mike defends sentry. Sentry is full on meme tier even with his void synergy.
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    Would be full Kabam-style to have a future champion like Gladiator Hulk or someone have a unique Sentry synergy like:
    100% chance for Senty to enter each new state. Each reality warp increases Sentry’s attack by 25%.

Would not mind it like that because Sentry is desperately in need of a buff. This would be the perfect way to do so without re-working the champion which Kabam has not done in a long time. Carnage could use the unique-synergy buff as well.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 880 ★★★
    Would be full Kabam-style to have a future champion like Gladiator Hulk or someone have a unique Sentry synergy like:
    100% chance for Senty to enter each new state. Each reality warp increases Sentry’s attack by 25%.

Would not mind it like that because Sentry is desperately in need of a buff. This would be the perfect way to do so without re-working the champion which Kabam has not done in a long time. Carnage could use the unique-synergy buff as well.

The part that would suck is that it would take an extra slot that I would rather put another character in I already have Hulk with Sentry now I have to put void plus somebody else. Don't understand why they gimped such a powerful character, im save what i have left in 5* shards for blade. Then I'll try to get 3* void from marvel insider.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 880 ★★★
    Rip my friend, guess I'll have to wait for December for rank down tickets.
    10cb4vian935.png
    G0311 wrote: »
    Rip my friend, guess I'll have to wait for December for rank down tickets.
    10cb4vian935.png

They would buff him in January if your luck is like mine..
  • DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 429 ★★
    #justiceforsentry
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    Maybe winter soldier didn't get scared.
  • TwuntTwunt Posts: 149

You realize how terrible Kabam would be for doing something like that? We have to add Void and another champ's synergy to make Sentry viable? If they add a 3rd champ to be used for synergy, it better make Sentry poison and bleed immune, give attack ramp up like SL, and cause power lock like Magik. It would be tragically hilarious if that is their new practice. If that precedent starts to get set for now and champs to come, we should consider revisiting 12.0 response.
  • TwuntTwunt Posts: 149
    edited January 2018

Wrong.
This discussion has been closed.