**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5-Star Featured Crystal Change Discussion Thread

Comments

• RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    They’ll have to add them at some point if they continue to rotate the pool, even if they don’t have 2 back to back.

Hopefully they’ll only add them after they go through a tweaking process similar to Luke Cage and Red Hulk.

They can easily keep the pool of 18 garbage like this set. I hope everyone is ready so see Blue Cyc in next pool because he's awesome, just look at the data!
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    RedRooster wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    @DNA3000 Your post about data mining is exactly why I've said some sampling bias is not necessarily bad. Because it depends on your objective. Looking at new account or low skill account data is not really going to garner you useful information on "effectiveness".

1. Sampling bias is always bad unless it is controlled. If you don't know in what specific way you're skewed, your conclusions can't be justified, even if the skew direction was intentional.

2. As I mentioned before, you're talking about "effectiveness" to mean "potential" whereas game developers almost certainly do not.

You totally missed my point even though we're on the same page. Did I say uncontrolled? I specifically said why you would bias a particular way, therefore you would know how you're skewed.

I think we need to toss out the technical terms, because they are apparently being misinterpreted. When I say sampling bias is bad unless controlled, what I mean colloquially is that when you decide to pick a subset of all players to represent the players, if you don't know all the ways in which they are different from the overall set of players and what effect each of those differences will have on your measurements, that smaller set will generate statistics that will be different from the result you would have gotten had you measured everyone in a way you can't predict in advance. That inability to quantify that difference would mean that all we could likely say is that your measurement is valid for that subset of players, and only that subset of players, and only useful if you were trying to change the game in a way that would affect only those players. Scientifically speaking, you wouldn't be able to say anything else.

"Controlling" the bias doesn't mean picking players in a particular way. Picking players is selection. Bias describes the data that selection generates. You can control selection by simply being precise about which kinds of players you pick. But that doesn't control the bias that set of players will generate. Controlling bias is kind of like controlling the future in that sense. It is very difficult to do properly.
    And the reason why "effectivness" is in quotes is because it's such a nebulous concept. I have no idea what their metrics are and neither do you, but it is the term that the Kabam mods used.

In absolute terms we don't know anything. We don't know what Kabam thinks or does, nor do we know what Kabam means when they use any of the words they use. We should be careful about anyone that is too certain about anything or says anything in absolute terms. But from that starting point, there's nothing to discuss at all. We're all discussing the subject based on what we think are reasonable assumptions. For me, knowing what an MMO developer generally cares about quantitatively and what they generally measure is a reasonable assumption. It would not be for someone that hadn't done this before or hadn't been exposed to it before. But since I have, I can't ignore the information that makes available to me.

I could be completely wrong, that's true. People are inherently unpredictable and Kabam isn't even a person: it is a group of disparate people. I think my track record here is not bad, but it is far from perfect.
  • SvainSvain Posts: 453 ★★
    Nothing more to see here, move along to the next shiny object. Boss rush challenge.
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    So, about that featured 5* schedule...can we please get all the crystals up to Sentry released as planned? Really not fair to anyone who was saving for a champ after Blade and hes the only one who gets special treatment.
  • bradshaw84 wrote: »
    No increased odds for new champs negates the need to spend 5k extra. So if u want a specific champ u spend an extra 5k for a 1 in 24 chance as opposed to 1 in 90 or so with the basic. Either way you’re screwed so just buy basics.

I really don’t see the benefit of featured crystals now, at all. What you’ve done is basically change the odds of getting the champ u want from 1 in 5 (roughly) to 1 in 24 and try and convince us it’s a good thing, nice try lol.

Exactly. It’s a money grab because you can’t get the featured champ now only in 300 unit crystal

• Tiago1980Tiago1980 Posts: 34
    After reading almost all the weights on the subject, it is evident that Kabam really cares little about the progress of the game, she just wants to keep us playing unabashedly so that we are lucky to get a better champion.

Instead of discussing the crystal index, why not discuss ways to make it actually more useful.

How to create a jewel, by adding catalytic converter + ISO + plug + gold + "whatever it is" to form a class jewel making the crystal become a crystal class?

This is one of several examples that Kabam could introduce in the game to make players happy, to actually make the most expensive crystals effective indeed.

But it is becoming increasingly clear that the intention is to make us play and play and to be in charge of the luck to make us grow.

I repeat what I posted some 20 pages ago, we went for a 15k crystal boycott
  • BossyBuilderBossyBuilder Posts: 137
    edited January 2018
    @DNA3000

I think you hit the nail on the head: "The devs don't really care"
  • Nightwing6666Nightwing6666 Posts: 170
    I wish there was a 5 star featured she-hulk crystal.
  • RodsteinRodstein Posts: 207
    Idk the initial pool seems somewhat unleashed by the underdog
  • JaffacakedJaffacaked Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    linux wrote: »
    I have a real concern regarding this and would like clarification and certainty that kabam will be smart and not put she-hulk, khamala khan, spidergwen and other mediocre champs that are completely and utterly useless????

I would suggest re-reading Miike's posts. He said that the tried to avoid the worst champs by finding those (based on data mining) that are reasonably effective:

"I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective."

For the life of me, I can't understand how Ant Man made that list (he was buffed slightly but still doesn't do enough damage with poison; his signature ability slows fights down but he's still easy to kill in AW; it does very little for offense) -- so I'd take this with a grain of salt -- but he said:

He also said:

"Champions will repeat, but will not appear twice in a row."

-- so it's possible that the same 18 will be used for the crystal after the next crystal; or that it'll change every time. They don't necessarily need to include any of the best or the worst champs. (Other than Ant Man and Thor JF, I think they avoided the worst champs. On the flip side, the avoided all the most popular champs but did choose some champs with possible uses -- not always the best champ for that use, but definitely not the worst. (Except ability reduction -- that's really not covered in any meaningful way.)

Just because ant man an Cyclops suck to fight with an are super easy to best when fighting against it doesn't mean they aren't effective. These 2 champs are key to synergy teams needed for LOL an other content if your building teams. This is why the data shows them as "most effective", lots of people use them for attack just for synergy an they also get thrown into aw Defence too. Just point out I think the new crystal are awful an poor choice of champs
  • GreenElf21GreenElf21 Posts: 36
    Is there any logic to who the 18 other champs will be? Such as will they follow a pattern of previously released champs or will they simply be chosen by Kabam?

There is no Pattern. They will be chosen by the team, but we're taking extra care to make the Crystals more interesting for you all.

So that means NONE of the **** guys from the New "Scrub Rush" will be in the 18?

• MlgraonMlgraon Posts: 18
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    I mean this in the worst of ways. Your team is deluded. In what universe are those champs even semi useful? Tier 20? There is NOBODY in any decent ally using 90% of those champs anywhere but defense (and only a couple for that) let alone **** attack or aq. They are NOT top options. Not a single one is god tier. Pathetic. Open your eyes.

If you are not a fan of the Champions in the Crystal, you can always wait until the Featured Champion you like is added to the Basic Pool, like the 3-Star and 4-Star Champions.

Also, nobody said they are the top Champions, and while player perception of these Champions may differ, these Champions are ones that people use to great success.

Yassss I will beat collector with Antman and cyclops

I know right! Collector will be so easy with new champions hand picked by non players. Cyclops especially is soooo effective
    Guys focus on Blaming Kabam and look forward to antman and cyclops (wink)!Dont argue with yourselves
    @DNA3000 Your post about data mining is exactly why I've said some sampling bias is not necessarily bad. Because it depends on your objective. Looking at new account or low skill account data is not really going to garner you useful information on "effectiveness".

1. Sampling bias is always bad unless it is controlled. If you don't know in what specific way you're skewed, your conclusions can't be justified, even if the skew direction was intentional.

2. As I mentioned before, you're talking about "effectiveness" to mean "potential" whereas game developers almost certainly do not.

The devs don't really care, most of the time, if you're twice as strong with Blade as I am. They don't care because they don't have to care. You being twice as good as me with Blade won't in and of itself help or hurt the game as a whole. What they care about because they have to care about it, is what Blade is doing now in the hands of all the players that have him, and what will happen when a million players eventually get their hands on him. That can make or break the game, so 99% of the time what matters to them is what actually happens, not what happens in the top tier or what happens with the absolute best players or what is the best that can possibly happen. Short of game-breaking exploitability, what matters is what everyone does with Blade, not what the few best players can do with him.

Keep in mind this is all somewhat moot, because while this academic discussion surrounds @Kabam Miike 's use of the word "effective" it doesn't directly say anything about the intent of the featured crystal. If we all start agreeing on how we will all use the word "effective" or even how we should measure it, it won't change the content of the crystal. They chose those champions for their own internal reasons, and hitting the devs over the head with a dictionary won't change their minds any more than I could change your mind about how good the crystal is by forcing you to redefine the word "good." Even if I get you to change your mind about the word, it wouldn't change your opinion. The word is just a way to express the opinion. You'd change words, not your mind. The devs aren't going to change their minds either. At best, and even this is unlikely, they will just change words.

The devs don't really care, most of the time, if you're twice as strong with Blade as I am. They don't care because they don't have to care. You being twice as good as me with Blade won't in and of itself help or hurt the game as a whole. What they care about because they have to care about it, is what Blade is doing now in the hands of all the players that have him, and what will happen when a million players eventually get their hands on him. That can make or break the game, so 99% of the time what matters to them is what actually happens, not what happens in the top tier or what happens with the absolute best players or what is the best that can possibly happen. Short of game-breaking exploitability, what matters is what everyone does with Blade, not what the few best players can do with him.

Keep in mind this is all somewhat moot, because while this academic discussion surrounds @Kabam Miike 's use of the word "effective" it doesn't directly say anything about the intent of the featured crystal. If we all start agreeing on how we will all use the word "effective" or even how we should measure it, it won't change the content of the crystal. They chose those champions for their own internal reasons, and hitting the devs over the head with a dictionary won't change their minds any more than I could change your mind about how good the crystal is by forcing you to redefine the word "good." Even if I get you to change your mind about the word, it wouldn't change your opinion. The word is just a way to express the opinion. You'd change words, not your mind. The devs aren't going to change their minds either. At best, and even this is unlikely, they will just change words.

Dude.You forgot that Kabam and Kabam Miike especially, want milk and money
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    Bad enough kabam is making us only get new featured champ only from FGMC's

guys we can get mad all we want....but at the end of the day we are still playing kabam's game, the house always wins

feels like we are chain to whatever they want to do.

So unless theres another 12.0 revolt then nothing will change.

We complain so much we got rank tickets. yet people still complaing about not getting iso and gold back like really?!

Kabam only cares about money, so unless that's hurting them they wont do anything
  • Just don't put in bad champs. As long as you do that I will be fine. This also makes the game balanced.
    Just don't put in bad champs. As long as you do that I will be fine. This also makes the game balanced.

You can always make things better by trying to stack things up as high as possible, but even so this is not as easy as it sounds. Try this: the first crystal needs eighteen basic champions. Make a list of which ones you would put in there. Now, the May crystal needs eighteen different champions. Make a list of which ones you would put in there next. Then to make sure we don't just flip back and forth between them, the August crystal needs about nine basic champions that have never appeared before and then you can recycle nine from the original list. You can't repeat any from the May crystal.

Now, I'm not saying it is impossible to make a list of 45 champions currently in the basic 5* crystal (the total necessary to satisfy the above) that aren't better than some of the ones currently listed to be in the new featured. The real challenge is making those three lists in such a way that you wouldn't be ridiculed by the playerbase if you were the developer. That's not so easy.
    I mean this in the worst of ways. Your team is deluded. In what universe are those champs even semi useful? Tier 20? There is NOBODY in any decent ally using 90% of those champs anywhere but defense (and only a couple for that) let alone **** attack or aq. They are NOT top options. Not a single one is god tier. Pathetic. Open your eyes.

If you are not a fan of the Champions in the Crystal, you can always wait until the Featured Champion you like is added to the Basic Pool, like the 3-Star and 4-Star Champions.

Also, nobody said they are the top Champions, and while player perception of these Champions may differ, these Champions are ones that people use to great success.

People who have never played the game? Employees of Kabam who are willing to Lie to you for money?Perhaps people who only use auto fight?If your going to do soethingmlike this at least have benefit.Sure more money for you but if you continually do this people will hate you. In fact youll be fired if i was Ceo.
    Raganator wrote: »
    bradshaw84 wrote: »
    Beast, Jane foster, Cyclops, Ronan, Loki, Phoenix, Venompool, civil warrior, ant man amongst the 18 best and most used in aq and aw? GTFOH! LMAO!
    Just talked to the team, and they are comfortable with sharing the list of Champions we plan to include in the first Featured Champion Crystal. It's important to note that this list could still potentially change a little before the release, but the selected Champions are based on empirical data showing their effectiveness as 5-Star Champions in both Alliance Quests and Alliance Wars.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Cyclops (New Xavier School)
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

Bold Text denotes Featured Champions.

I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively.

Map 1...Day 1.
    Beast, Jane foster, Cyclops, Ronan, Loki, Phoenix, Venompool, civil warrior, ant man amongst the 18 best and most used in aq and aw? GTFOH! LMAO!
    Just talked to the team, and they are comfortable with sharing the list of Champions we plan to include in the first Featured Champion Crystal. It's important to note that this list could still potentially change a little before the release, but the selected Champions are based on empirical data showing their effectiveness as 5-Star Champions in both Alliance Quests and Alliance Wars.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively.

Map 1...Day 1.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

Map 1...Day 1.

So true
  • Gladiator09Gladiator09 Posts: 287 ★★
    Their so called “empirical data” also killed alliance wars .
    My alliance and others that I know of play wars only once or may be twice a week.. to get loyalty ..
    I can get better rewards by just grinding on arenas

They killed featured crystals as well.

Atleast I won’t be two ways in future whether to open feature or basic
    Mlgraon wrote: »

People who have never played the game? Employees of Kabam who are willing to Lie to you for money?Perhaps people who only use auto fight?If your going to do soethingmlike this at least have benefit.Sure more money for you but if you continually do this people will hate you. In fact youll be fired if i was Ceo.

If you began firing the community coordinators of your game because of the changes your game system designers were making, I suspect you would not be CEO for long.
  • round3rround3r Posts: 2
    FIRST, for those of us playing for 2+ years, we remember how RARE 5* used to be. The featured crystal was there so you could save up and land a champ you REALLY wanted. It was to be THE centerpiece of your Roster and make it UNIQUE. Shards were rare, T4CC were scarce, and T2A were non-existent… So your decisions mattered and your trophy was earned. It was a source of pride and accomplishment, as everyone was jealous of “that guy” with a duped 5* Dorm in AW.

But now, 5* shards are more available than ever, as Kabam is gears everyone up for 6-stars (like it or not). So being able to “CHOOSE” a 5-star champ isn’t a unique thing anymore. Instead of studying the Character Spotlights, forums, reddit and fighting duels to see if a Champ fit your playing style and roster needs (before you poured all your hard-earned resources into it), people just wait for the YouTube consensus Top Champ (remember DS?) and build the “ideal” roster. No faster way to unbalance a game than when everyone uses the SAME three champs.

SECOND, the new Featured 5* Crystal will reduce the frustration of spending 15k a pop on outdated, low-prestige, weak champs with a more focused pool. When Blade first came out I spent 45k on Iron Patriot, Colossus and Groot (my last 15k pulled Blade, and grinned ear-to-ear for a week), but a better pool of consolation champs would have been great.

More importantly, it will return us to the days where the ‘regular’ 5* Crystal only had a small pool of Champs… So duping a 5* and earning precious 6* Shards will be easier! Just wait for a Crystal [pool] that overlaps a majority of your roster… and you’ll finally be able to dupe that Starlord, Storm or Magik <i>and</i> rack up 6* shards towards a new Trophy Champ. Which btw is now available via the 6-Star Featured Crystal (assuredly replacing the old 5* Feature).

ULTIMATELY, as the Game, Champs and Rewards continued to expand… This move was inevitable. Imho it will maintain the variety, rarity ratio, game balance and sense of accomplishment we’ve previously had. Kabam makes a lot of mistakes (I genuinely never thought I'd defend them), but I don’t believe this is one.

P.S. To everyone peeing their pants about Blade (because they undervalued/ignored him when he was originally available), Kabam did you a solid… You will still get your shot.

P.P.S. While I welcome newer players in general (who weren’t even playing when Blade came out), don’t think for one second that you deserve a god-tier 5* after 90 days. Stick to COD and lag switches… Your sense of entitlement makes me sick. You need to SUFFER thru all the nerfs, loss of PB Synergy, the v12 patch, weekly AW rule changes, et al. like the rest of us before you deserve him.
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    Can you please tell us if you're at least considering finishing the planned featured 5* crystals for everyone up to Sentry? Tons of people have been saving for characters and they won't get a shot to roll for them with this change. This is a massive change that affects everyone who was saving for heroes that came after Blade and yet only he gets a special second run. Do the right thing and give these people their second chance as well.
  • Jsun22Jsun22 Posts: 6
    @Kabam Miike
    Because of the addition of medusa/mepthisto, etc. To the pool early Feb. Whom will be in the subpool possibilities?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    Jaffacaked wrote: »
    round3r wrote: »
    FIRST, for those of us playing for 2+ years, we remember how RARE 5* used to be. The featured crystal was there so you could save up and land a champ you REALLY wanted. It was to be THE centerpiece of your Roster and make it UNIQUE. Shards were rare, T4CC were scarce, and T2A were non-existent… So your decisions mattered and your trophy was earned. It was a source of pride and accomplishment, as everyone was jealous of “that guy” with a duped 5* Dorm in AW.

But now, 5* shards are more available than ever, as Kabam is gears everyone up for 6-stars (like it or not). So being able to “CHOOSE” a 5-star champ isn’t a unique thing anymore. Instead of studying the Character Spotlights, forums, reddit and fighting duels to see if a Champ fit your playing style and roster needs (before you poured all your hard-earned resources into it), people just wait for the YouTube consensus Top Champ (remember DS?) and build the “ideal” roster. No faster way to unbalance a game than when everyone uses the SAME three champs.

SECOND, the new Featured 5* Crystal will reduce the frustration of spending 15k a pop on outdated, low-prestige, weak champs with a more focused pool. When Blade first came out I spent 45k on Iron Patriot, Colossus and Groot (my last 15k pulled Blade, and grinned ear-to-ear for a week), but a better pool of consolation champs would have been great.

More importantly, it will return us to the days where the ‘regular’ 5* Crystal only had a small pool of Champs… So duping a 5* and earning precious 6* Shards will be easier! Just wait for a Crystal [pool] that overlaps a majority of your roster… and you’ll finally be able to dupe that Starlord, Storm or Magik <i>and</i> rack up 6* shards towards a new Trophy Champ. Which btw is now available via the 6-Star Featured Crystal (assuredly replacing the old 5* Feature).

ULTIMATELY, as the Game, Champs and Rewards continued to expand… This move was inevitable. Imho it will maintain the variety, rarity ratio, game balance and sense of accomplishment we’ve previously had. Kabam makes a lot of mistakes (I genuinely never thought I'd defend them), but I don’t believe this is one.

P.S. To everyone peeing their pants about Blade (because they undervalued/ignored him when he was originally available), Kabam did you a solid… You will still get your shot.

P.P.S. While I welcome newer players in general (who weren’t even playing when Blade came out), don’t think for one second that you deserve a god-tier 5* after 90 days. Stick to COD and lag switches… Your sense of entitlement makes me sick. You need to SUFFER thru all the nerfs, loss of PB Synergy, the v12 patch, weekly AW rule changes, et al. like the rest of us before you deserve him.

Funny how they kept the 300 unit FGMC tho hey. Seems it's ok to if you willing to spend

That Crystal has been recently added. The changes to the Featured are after a great deal of time, and subsequently changes that have taken place in the game. No one is forcing anyone to spend on it if they're personally offended by it. Lol.
  • JaffacakedJaffacaked Posts: 1,415 ★★★★

Funny how they kept the 300 unit FGMC tho hey. Seems it's ok to if you willing to spend

That Crystal has been recently added. The changes to the Featured are after a great deal of time, and subsequently changes that have taken place in the game. No one is forcing anyone to spend on it if they're personally offended by it. Lol.

So that makes absolutely no difference an my original statement stands.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

So that makes absolutely no difference an my original statement stands.

It makes a great deal of difference considering the 5* Featured was changed because the game has changed a great deal since it was started. They're not going to automatically do away with the FGMC just because they're making changes to the other Crystal. It's fairly new.