**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Account Sharing is illegal?

I was in an alliance where almost everyone was sharing their account info with others.. and they've been doing it for years. They pressured every new member to do so.. especially after being slow to move in AQ/AW. I was one of the few that didn't succumb. During my time there, I witnessed several members repeatedly playing on each other's accounts. Previous alliances have also done this... This practice seems more and more common. My question is, if account sharing is illegal, why are so many getting away with it?

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Probably because those people aren't being reported for account sharing. It isn't always easy to detect account sharing and sometimes only a direct investigation can determine this. And that won't happen if it isn't reported in the first place.

So if you didn't report those players for account sharing, that's probably the answer to your question.
  • Average_PlayerAverage_Player Posts: 80
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Probably because those people aren't being reported for account sharing. It isn't always easy to detect account sharing and sometimes only a direct investigation can determine this. And that won't happen if it isn't reported in the first place.

So if you didn't report those players for account sharing, that's probably the answer to your question.

So, in other words... As long as nobody reports you, there's a 99.99% chance that Kabam won't know.. This means that that people who decide to cheat and pay others to do Labyrinth or other hard content will almost always get away with it.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,723 ★★★★★
    We are made to understand on the hard core content, detailed scrutiny is made to ensure there are no cheating.

Would you like to contact Support or Mod to report about the account sharing you are in the know?

edited June 2017
    winterthur wrote: »
    We are made to understand on the hard core content, detailed scrutiny is made to ensure there are no cheating.

Would you like to contact Support or Mod to report about the account sharing you are in the know?

Way too many people. Basically, almost everyone in the alliance.. as well as several from previous alliances. I'm not ratting on anyone.. lol ... If Kabam isn't doing anything about it, I might decide to do it too in the future.
    You may run the risk others get hold of your account and selling your champs.

Also you email and pwd may be used in other areas and all those easily exploited by others.

I saw Scam City on Nat Geo. Pickpocketting is easy money and the punishment if caught is merely shrugged off as inconveniences. Does not mean I do the same.

• Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    It's mostly just so someone else doesn't beat hard content for others ham can't beat it themselves
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    Account Sharing is agaisnt TOS. Whether they catch you now or later, it's agaisnt the rules.
  • ManonFierManonFier Posts: 9
    Account Sharing is agaisnt TOS. Whether they catch you now or later, it's agaisnt the rules.

What's TOS?
    I honestly don't know, keep seeing it, curiosity spiking...

Terms of Service...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Way too many people. Basically, almost everyone in the alliance.. as well as several from previous alliances. I'm not ratting on anyone.. lol ... If Kabam isn't doing anything about it, I might decide to do it too in the future.

It is worth noting that specifically calling attention to yourself can be the trigger for investigating whether you are account sharing. Which means if something goes wrong, anything, while you are account sharing, you may have no recourse. If the servers eat your account entirely and during the investigation they discover you were account sharing, that could end your support right there.

In the IT field, this is called "running an unsupported configuration." You takes your chances, you pays the consequences.
  • SpeedbumpSpeedbump Posts: 1,520 ★★★
    Terms of service
  • EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 292 ★★

Unfortunately, this is not true. I know many people who have reported, and been reported for, account sharing. This includes to play Arena, AQ, AW and even harder content like the Realm of Legends, the Labyrinth and even special Event Challenges. There is never any punishment for this behavior. You can literally submit screenshots of players requesting or offering help, or in some cases even bragging about sharing, and others asking to be paid for it, and there is absolutely no penalty.

In a game that attempts to be competitive, this is something that truly demonstrates how lacking enforcement creates an unfair advantage against those who play earnestly and without outsider assistance.

I know there are excuses for how it is not intercepted, but literally players from different countries logging into accounts moments after the other logs out do not even get caught for this.

So, while it is against the Terms of Service, you will not be caught, and even if you were to be, there will apparently be no consequence for it.
    Ebbtide wrote: »

Unfortunately, this is not true. I know many people who have reported, and been reported for, account sharing. This includes to play Arena, AQ, AW and even harder content like the Realm of Legends, the Labyrinth and even special Event Challenges. There is never any punishment for this behavior. You can literally submit screenshots of players requesting or offering help, or in some cases even bragging about sharing, and others asking to be paid for it, and there is absolutely no penalty.

In a game that attempts to be competitive, this is something that truly demonstrates how lacking enforcement creates an unfair advantage against those who play earnestly and without outsider assistance.

I know there are excuses for how it is not intercepted, but literally players from different countries logging into accounts moments after the other logs out do not even get caught for this.

So, while it is against the Terms of Service, you will not be caught, and even if you were to be, there will apparently be no consequence for it.

I disagree that there is never any punishment. It's just not talked about. See people every other day posting that they want their Account reinstated. There is a process to investigation. They don't immediately ban people. They conduct an investigation and act based on their own findings. Screenshots and reports are not enough. It's thorough. They also don't discuss actions. They happen.
    There were posts by the Mods in the old forum stating they do take the offense in account sharing seriously and they do not reveal the techniques used and they also do not mentioned about people being ban and they do monitor such activities.

All being said, it is not allowed regardless on what is being generally observed.
  • JaffacakedJaffacaked Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    winterthur wrote: »
    There were posts by the Mods in the old forum stating they do take the offense in account sharing seriously and they do not reveal the techniques used and they also do not mentioned about people being ban and they do monitor such activities.

All being said, it is not allowed regardless on what is being generally observed.

Mods have also told us that they appreciate all summoners too
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,753 ★★★★★
    Here's the thing.
    Account sharing is illegal, but if they banned everyone who is sharing accounts, that would be like 50% or more players to come here and cry.
    The team needs to do something to stop this ... But yeh, don't count on that
  • VandalSavageVandalSavage Posts: 267 ★★
    I was in an alliance where almost everyone was sharing their account info with others.. and they've been doing it for years. They pressured every new member to do so.. especially after being slow to move in AQ/AW. I was one of the few that didn't succumb. During my time there, I witnessed several members repeatedly playing on each other's accounts. Previous alliances have also done this... This practice seems more and more common. My question is, if account sharing is illegal, why are so many getting away with it?

Account sharing is like speeding on a highway. We see people getting caught all the time, no different from all the whining in the forum (and that is just the threads that weren't deleted). (Related to this, there is also all these fake claims about their accounts getting "hacked").

But just like the highways, there are plenty who speed away -- happily as if there is no cop on the planet.

And of course, reporting people of cheating isn't the same as proof of cheating.
    edited June 2017
    I don't buy that **** at all. 1/2, or even 1/3 of the Player Base is not sharing Accounts. That's a trumped up justification that people who are doing it use. It's agaisnt the rules. Plain and simple. If people are doing it and know it's agaisnt the rules, they have no excuse. If they think they're safe by using that idea, they're digging their own grave when they do get banned. It's not even numerically sound to believe that many people are sharing Accounts. It's the ridiculous Allies that are misleading people into giving their info that are responsible, and winning at any risk is not a fair or even healthy way to play the game.
    "It's okay to cheat because many people are cheating and they won't do anything.". That doesn't even sound logical, much less moral.
  • Wil6541Wil6541 Posts: 273
    There is no punishment. It is against the rules so if you give your details to someone and they sell all your champs kabam can wash their hands of it and it's your problem not theirs. Is it wrong in arena it annoys the **** out of me. Aq to clear lanes I'm not fussed if people do it. Aw it is **** get your best fighter to do mad damage. Quests I don't care no leg ups there.

Piece of advice: never share you details with an alliance member who doesn't share his/hers.

In terms of safety precautions, there's zero advantage to mutually sharing each others' account info.. If he wanted to sell all your champs and inventory, he'd do it when he knows when you're usually asleep and then change the password on his account.. You'll wake up to an empty account, and when you try to get back at your "friend", you'll find that you won't be able to access his account anymore.
  • DainslàifDainslàif Posts: 32
    Account Sharing isn't illegal. Illegal implies breaking the law. Kabam doesn't make laws. It is against the TOS which you implied to agree to by playing the game.
  • DLegendDLegend Posts: 745 ★★★
    edited June 2017
    Unless you've met those people face to face, don't trust them.

Never make your loyalty, make a fool of you!
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,753 ★★★★★
    Dainslàif wrote: »
    Account Sharing isn't illegal. Illegal implies breaking the law. Kabam doesn't make laws. It is against the TOS which you implied to agree to by playing the game.

Kabam can make any law related to the game. Those are the ToS.
    At the end, is the exact same thing ...
  • Account sharing is against the Terms of Service. Upon downloading the game, each user agrees to abide by the Terms of Service. There is a link at the bottom of every forum page that will take you directly to the Terms of Service.

For reference though, the ToS are available by clicking here.

We do thoroughly investigate all reports of violations of our Terms of Service. Sometimes, there's not enough proof (just because someone SAYS they're doing it, doesn't mean they are). Sometimes, investigations take longer than players think they should. We don't ban people simply because others reported them, we DO investigate though, and investigations can take some time.

As we've discussed this in the past, and made our stand pretty clear, I'm going to close this thread down. For more details, please review the threads stickied in this section as well as the "News" section of the forums. If you have any other concerns, feel free to reach out to a moderator via private message. Our Terms of Service aren't a debatable topic, and remember to never accuse anyone publicly in the forums but instead report suspicious behavior directly to our Support Team.
This discussion has been closed.