**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Same IP, ban?

Hello. My flatmate wants to join mcoc, but won’t it get us banned as we are using same wifi IP?
Thanks

Comments

• NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    No it will not. Any groups playing at work or school will all be on the same IP address.
  • DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    Nope, that would be riddiculous because some ISP's are using dynamic IP's - each day every user of that ISP gets new IP assigned, so IP bans are generaly out of use.

Besides, it is allowed to have multiplie account's.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    edited February 2018
    You can use multiple Accounts on the same device, as long as you're the owner of the Account. If your friend is signing in to his own Account from the same IP, there's nothing to worry about. Lots of families and couples play.
  • SpinoSpino Posts: 241
    If your friend is signing in to his own Account from the same IP, there's nothing to worry about. Lots of families and couples play.

LMAO.

But if you hand you device to your room mate and he gives you his, then you're in big trouble.

Spino wrote: »
    If your friend is signing in to his own Account from the same IP, there's nothing to worry about. Lots of families and couples play.

LMAO.

But if you hand you device to your room mate and he gives you his, then you're in big trouble.
    That depends. Are you using their Account? Lol. Bottom line, Account Shaing is not allowed. Multiple Accounts on multiple devices or same devices is allowed. People using other devices is allowed. Same IP is definitely allowed. As long as people are using their own Accounts, there's nothing to worry about.
    edited February 2018
    Dropfaith wrote: »

LMAO.

That depends. Are you using their Account? Lol. Bottom line, Account Shaing is not allowed. Multiple Accounts on multiple devices or same devices is allowed. People using other devices is allowed. Same IP is definitely allowed. As long as people are using their own Accounts, there's nothing to worry about.

What if I made an acct for my kid he doesn't have an email address. Is it mine or his? Lol

Who cant play

We're talking about the rules of it. I'm just stating what is allowed and what is not. If we wanted to get technical, it's Rated Teen, but many kids play anyway. If your child has no Email and you make an Account for them, that would be their Account, but you would assume responsibility because you're the parent. It's not exception cases we're talking about. I'm sure we're all aware of what Account Sharing is by now. Lol.
  • mespadamespada Posts: 59
    edited February 2018

LMAO.

based off that logic, id be breaking the tos by allowing someone (who i'm trying to get interested in the game) to take a fight. thats ridiculous, as not many people are willing to commit to something w/o trying it first. now if you're referring to players that have been involved in the game for a long while (2 yrs for me), i understand exactly what you're saying and i may agree with you.
  • Raikis wrote: »
    Hello. My flatmate wants to join mcoc, but won’t it get us banned as we are using same wifi IP?
    Thanks

This is a common misconception. It is based on a technical fallacy. Kabam doesn't use IP address to check for account sharing, not in the way that people think they do. Two different accounts logging in from the same source IP means exactly nothing to Kabam. That's not how account sharing is determined.

Let me put it this way. Suppose a hundred people were all playing from the same location on the same Wifi network and their connections were coming from the same internet IP address. And suppose out of all of those people, two of them were sharing the same phone. It would take five seconds to figure out which two accounts that was.

Sharing IP addresses means diddly squat. The people who think it matters don't know anything about how this works.
    edited February 2018
    mespada wrote: »

LMAO.

based off that logic, id be breaking the tos by allowing someone (who i'm trying to get interested in the game) to take a fight. thats ridiculous, as not many people are willing to commit to something w/o trying it first. now if you're referring to players that have been involved in the game for a long while (2 yrs for me), i understand exactly what you're saying and i may agree with you.

I was speaking purely technically. Technically, we're not allowed to share our Account. Now, two people in the same room taking turns on a device isn't exactly the kind of thing that would lead to a ban. I remember a comment made by Moderation on the old Forum that specified that's not what they are looking for.
    However, if there were complications such as accidental use of Resources, I suspect you would inevitably assume responsibility because you're responsible for your own Account. All I was saying was from a technical standpoint, sharing your Account with anyone is against TOS.
  • mespada wrote: »

LMAO.

That is technically a violation of the TOS, but it is not a violation the company would ordinarily act upon. The company, like all companies, is allowed to make rules and use judgment when enforcing them. If they tried to spell out exactly precisely what the thresholds were for "real" violations people would just attempt to rules-lawyer their way into exploiting weaknesses in the language. Instead, they simple state that this is not authorized, which then allows them to ban anyone they suspect of doing it a lot, while they only need to prove it happened once.

Also, in practice what you're describing is something they can't detect. So they don't worry about incidental sharing like that, because it is impossible for them to catch anyone doing that in their monitoring nets.
    edited February 2018
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Also, in practice what you're describing is something they can't detect. So they don't worry about incidental sharing like that, because it is impossible for them to catch anyone doing that in their monitoring nets.
    Not true. They could make MCOC to scan fingerprints of players every swipe and thus detect account sharing when two different sets of fingerprints are detected on one account
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    Not true. They could make MCOC to scan fingerprints of players every swipe and thus detect account sharing when two different sets of fingerprints are detected on one account

I could be playing with different fingers, or possibly my feet.
    edited February 2018
    Thats why set of fingerprints, all 10 are unique so you enter your fingerprints into account data, and then you can use all fingers. Nobody uses toes though, I mean cmon. Even if so, denying people who are using toes to play sounds like fair price for pernamently solving account sharing issue.
    There is another option for tapping. XD