**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Pouring one out for Cap (WWII)

So this post is kind of changing up pace a bit. I have a story that may be familiar to all the parents playing the Contest.

I've been playing now since the Stark Spider Man event. Maybe 8-10 months or so (maybe longer, hard to keep track of time got a baby on the way :D). Initially I had a roster that most starting the game have. Starting through the story, I had built up a solid chunk of 3 * characters at this time, and was eagerly awaiting the day when I would finally have a 4 *. I hadn't really been grinding VS. (like an idiot) and hadn't started collecting 4 * shards in any real number, so I hung on hope every PHC I popped, that that would be the crystal.

Who would it be? Would I be lucky? Would I get a character I loved/would be useful? Or would it be some straight up steaming garbage (looking at you Carnage).

Finally, one night, when I took a chance popping a single PHC just to test the soul crushing existential waters of watching that thing spit out another 2 * rhino as it usually did, I saw the Game Center acheievement pop for acquiring a 4 * hero before the crystal had even stopped spinning.

Finally, IT HAD HAPPENED? Now...who could it be?

None other than Cap (WWII). Outside Cap being a favorite character of mine, I quickly scoured the forums reading he was one of the BEST champs in the game. His perfect block was on point, he hit hard, fatigue sounded cool. Yes, finally! I was ecstatic. The next couple days consisted of leveling up and testing his abilities, moving my masteries to perfect block, I was elated.

Now one thing to know is at this time, I was playing the game with my 2 year old son. He loves the Marvel characters and we would scroll through the characters and he would look at his favorite ones (Hulk was always a favorite and was one of his first words :smiley: ). I taught him how to scroll through the hero list and look at each one and then move on to the next, each time teaching not to "sell." He became proficient to the point where I stopped hovering over him, he would harmlessly scroll and view the characters, backing out, checking all of them, etc. He did this day in day out without issue. He was a whiz with the app!

But then one morning this all changed. He had started playing with the iPad and I saw that he had opened the Contest. I shrugged, making my coffee and going about cutting up a banana for him. Then suddenly I was hit with a wave of parental hyper senses (spider sense if you will). I rushed over and seemingly in moments, he had selected Cap (WWII), brushed past the warning and selected to SELL.

Where there was Cap (WWII) there was no more. Just like that.

I looked up to the ceiling (the sky if you will) letting out a long, winded, painful sigh. Without a word I took the iPad, put it up, and went about my morning duties, my son not complaining once because apparently, in some type of cosmic wisdom he already understood.

Where there was Cap (WWII) there was no more. And he had done it.

Understanding already the wild stakes that you play when you try and get a champion that 1) is sought after and 2) you personally really want, this came as a deep blow. I had gotten probably my most favorite character that I could seek out or expect, and the likelihood of getting that character again would be almost impossible, or going by the fact that RNG can "randomly" ensure that roll never happens a second time, it could be impossible.

I put down the game for a month, probably a little more, tried some others. I also reached out to Kabam to see if this could be reversed. It couldn't (shrugs). But after trying Future Fight and some others, I still really liked the Contest for the fighting system it brought and the overall package of the game. I came back and have been playing ever since, taking in stride every champion that I receive that isn't the most ideal, but always remembering what was (since then I have built a nice team, though I have duped Beast 4 * and my first 5 * pull was Venompool :neutral: ).

Now as my 5 * Winter Soldier stands as one of my mains, I can't help but look back to what could have been. I'll always have that gaping hole in my roster, until that fateful day when I possibly, maybe, roll another Classic Steve.

For all the parents/uncles/aunts/grandparents/bombed by random kids players out there, what characters did you end up losing to less than fortunate circumstances?!

Comments

• Shroud1969Shroud1969 Posts: 76
    Great story bro. I loved this, 'chance popping a single PHC just to test the soul crushing existential waters of watching that thing spit out another 2 * rhino as it usually did'
  • dkatryldkatryl Posts: 672 ★★★
    CapWW2 was my first r5 4*. He was my AQ Dorm killer for a long time. (Although that role is now filled with my r4 5* SL.)

Sucks to have had him and not gotten to fully enjoy how good he is.

• IAmNotUrMomIAmNotUrMom Posts: 648 ★★★
    @Deep_Search The only champ I ever sold was a 3* duped Ant-man. It was before they nerfed willpower and it was after a 5 minute arena battle that kept going and going because of how messed up willpower was with his fatigue.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    Tragic story but a great read. You’ll get Cap WW2 again
  • Deep_SearchDeep_Search Posts: 34
    @Shroud1969 Thanks! Yeah I don't know what it is, for me it's always 2 * Rhino or 2 * Wolverine. I don't even know what their sig levels are at by this point. If it could be 857 it would be haha
    @dkatryl Man that is amazing. And yeah, for like the 3 days I had him I quickly started plowing through Act 3 which had still kind of remained a bit too challenging. It was already a game changer having him, but maybe one day I'll get him again haha
    @Blax4ever I hope so! But too, I think playing this game it kind of teaches you to go with the flow. Well that or blow up the forums like some people do about the game being rigged haha. But after accumulating some 4 *s I feel like you kind of get in the rhythm. I just walked it back and decided to just have fun and try and enjoy all the characters.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    @Deep_Search that’s the right attitude to have with this game
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    Too much text.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,870 ★★★★★
    I thought someone would have said account sharing by now haha!

While I share what you do, I don't share the pain of having a champ sold! My 3 year old loves it too, but he isn't left alone with it. He just stops my crystals and tells me he only wants a hulk or Spider-Man 😂
    @DarkestDestroyer Yup I hear you, my son always goes to Hulk or Hulkbuster haha. I'm like hey check this out, it's Dr. Voodoo! Nope. Keep scrolling :smiley:
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    edited February 2018
    well, my stupid son sold his duped red deadpool so he had iso to level up....

...old man logan.
  • TheDemonTheDemon Posts: 159
    phillgreen wrote: »
    well, my stupid son sold his duped red deadpool so he had iso to level up....

...old man logan.

Red Deadpool that you would have had to purchase at some point? Kids these days :smiley:
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    edited February 2018
    Hence, we are unable to sell 5* and 6* champs. If we were unable to sell, this would be a non-issue. Besides, long term, it's stupid to sell any champ, compared to the dupe shards that roll in. Sometimes, Kabam has to protect us from ourselves.
  • My 3yr old daughter loves to open my crystals for me. One night while I wasn't paying attention, she bought SEVERAL featured crystals and opened them. I had saved my units for a long time and was stuck with a bunch of 2* dupes.
  • BUZZdog3000BUZZdog3000 Posts: 457 ★★
    Ouch. I know how it feels.

A long time ago around when this game first came out. Before shards were the only way to get champs was PHC and daily crystals I opened one and got a Star Lord. I didn't know anything about the character Star Lord at this time because it was before I've ever seen Guardians of the Galaxy. But I figured out that Star Lord was apparently really good. Back at this time, I sold all my champions except my top 5. I mainly focused on my Star Lord because he was my only 4 star. One day my brother decided to long on and sell my Star Lord. He is older than I am and also had the game. He 100% knew what he was doing but he did it. I was now unable to come close to beating the quest I was on. There was no monthly event at this time. Nothing I can do so I decide to quit and uninstall the app. Once guardians vol. 2 came out I saw it with my cousin and he was the player that got me into the game and he convinced me again. So I started from scratch and slowly progressed.Star Lord came in the basic arena not too long ago. I needed him to fill that space. I have been preparing for this moment. My roster was a decent size but I used 80 arena boost that I saved and over 700 units recharging. I am free to play so those units took a while.But I got him, Then there was connection issues second round. So he came back in January. So I prepared and since my roster increased I spent 0 units and only 30 Arena Boost. I got him again and duped him. The gap was filled now in that time I am now 130,000 Hero Rating with a 4 star maxed out Star Lord duped. So what I am saying he might be your best but you will always have another chance to get him. Might take a while but good luck.
    Let a Cap WW2 be in your future.
  • AquamaAquama Posts: 135
    Dropfaith wrote: »
    I let my kid pop my crystals cause frankly he's 2 and loves everything he gets 2 star 5 star no difference..
    One day I'm making food he's popping arena boost crystals and t3c shards. Who cares right?

Daddy daddy I got you a robot guy. Puzzled I come over to see he popped 30k worth of 5 star f shards.. and got iron patriot hulkbuster and ironman.

I was saving for iceman at the time

That made my chest hurt reading that last part. You're a great dad though.

• BobomanBoboman Posts: 716 ★★
    edited February 2018
    Aquama wrote: »
    I let my kid pop my crystals cause frankly he's 2 and loves everything he gets 2 star 5 star no difference..
    One day I'm making food he's popping arena boost crystals and t3c shards. Who cares right?

Daddy daddy I got you a robot guy. Puzzled I come over to see he popped 30k worth of 5 star f shards.. and got iron patriot hulkbuster and ironman.

I was saving for iceman at the time

That made my chest hurt reading that last part. You're a great dad though.

It was painful... still opens all my crystals tho. Its amazing the difference in a child and you really.. 2 star magneto..
    5 star blade
    No difference in his excitement at all
    damn
    Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on
  • adqqedfyvradqqedfyvr Posts: 463
    Gave my phone to my 6 year old cousin about 6 months back. Told him he could play whatever just to shut him up. Come back in half an hour and find that he's sold all 40 of my 4*s except luke cage, hulkbuster and dr voodoo. Asked him why he'd done that he said to get me a 5*. Opened it and pulled Winter Soldier. 😔. Lost my duped scarlet witch, cap ww2, ultron, hulk, black widow (she was on rank 5) and soooo many others. Never really forgiven him.
  • Star_Lord_Star_Lord_ Posts: 528 ★★★
    My niece and nephew were playing on my 2nd acct (F2P) and decided to sell my 4* R4 duped Ultron because he is a "bad guy". At the time he was my only poison/bleed immune champ and my 2nd highest rank champ. I was crushed. It took me around a year to get him back.
  • Wow, that stinks that some of you had champs sold by little ones. My 5 year old loves opening crystals and has burned through my unit stash a few times. He did pull a 4* Kingpin one day, but of course the other times he pulled junk. Since then, I've started an account for him and he plays on that although he can still access mine. He has had good luck opening 4* crystals and I have a solid roster as a result.
  • Jwallace25Jwallace25 Posts: 481 ★★★
    If I could give you my duped 4 star Cap, I would. I actually prefer Civil Warrior over Cap now.
    adqqedfyvr wrote: »
    Gave my phone to my 6 year old cousin about 6 months back. Told him he could play whatever just to shut him up. Come back in half an hour and find that he's sold all 40 of my 4*s except luke cage, hulkbuster and dr voodoo. Asked him why he'd done that he said to get me a 5*. Opened it and pulled Winter Soldier. 😔. Lost my duped scarlet witch, cap ww2, ultron, hulk, black widow (she was on rank 5) and soooo many others. Never really forgiven him.

Man that is gnarly. 40 4 * is unimaginable to lose (I still only have 12). Ironically Winter Soldier is one of my 2 5 *, which he is better than my Venompool, but sorry to hear this! In contrast losing a single 4 * is like dust in the wind to this level of unintended sell off!
    Thanks @Jwallace25! One thing I've always wondered is why Kabam doesn't add some type of trade system. I know the whole payoff for them is based around the randomness of crystals, etc, BUT they could do it like the rank down tokens. Very limited things that you only get one or two a year. Then you'd really wait for that trade you've been looking for.

Everyone would prob be looking for Blade, Starky, etc, but there would be those who were looking to trade for middle of the road champs they just individually prefer.
    Thanks @Jwallace25! One thing I've always wondered is why Kabam doesn't add some type of trade system. I know the whole payoff for them is based around the randomness of crystals, etc, BUT they could do it like the rank down tokens. Very limited things that you only get one or two a year. Then you'd really wait for that trade you've been looking for.

Everyone would prob be looking for Blade, Starky, etc, but there would be those who were looking to trade for middle of the road champs they just individually prefer.

Right! I've been playing the game for about 2 years and STILL do not have a 4* Wolverine. I have duped just about everyone else many times over with 74 4* champs and have a growing roster of about 15 5* champs, but I never got a 4* wolverine.
    @Jwallace25 That's crazy! Well too it could even be, with such a limited amount of whatever this trade token would be, you could even trade as much as you wanted. So someone who has lucked into a Wolverine, you would (possibly) be happy to trade 3-4 4 * champs for that single one. For them they may still be building up their 4 * roster and jump and you guys would both be ecstatic.

One champ I would love to pull/trade for, and I know this is pure madness and anyone on the forums will immediately start to throw eggs, but I'd love to get Kamala Kahn XD. Crazy I know, but I love that character!
    @Jwallace25 That's crazy! Well too it could even be, with such a limited amount of whatever this trade token would be, you could even trade as much as you wanted. So someone who has lucked into a Wolverine, you would (possibly) be happy to trade 3-4 4 * champs for that single one. For them they may still be building up their 4 * roster and jump and you guys would both be ecstatic.

One champ I would love to pull/trade for, and I know this is pure madness and anyone on the forums will immediately start to throw eggs, but I'd love to get Kamala Kahn XD. Crazy I know, but I love that character!

Well I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem finding a trade partner for her LOL!
  • Captain_NietschCaptain_Nietsch Posts: 481 ★★
    Shroud1969 wrote: »
    Great story bro. I loved this, 'chance popping a single PHC just to test the soul crushing existential waters of watching that thing spit out another 2 * rhino as it usually did'

That's poetic! :smile: I also seem to get so many 2 star Rhino I'm amazed it isn't at lvl 99..!
    Also, my main 4 star, maxed out and duped, has been Cap America WWII for almost 2 years. First I got Cap as a 3 star, and he was a solid backbone to my team. So I feel your pain!