**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Would Dr. Strange be a champion you quest with if he were buffed back up to his pre-nerf level?

420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
Dr. Strange was once a god tier champion. You could quest with him. You could run alliance quests with him. You could use him for war. In every area of the game he was a viable champ. Of course since he was changed a year ago he is not a god tier champ. He is not an effective champ for harder maps and for alliance wars. Let's say that Kabam decided to change him back to his previous awesomeness. Obviously there are many great champions that have been released since the time of his nerfing that offer many of the same or better abilities. Would you still use Dr. Strange?

Would Dr. Strange be a champion you quest with if he were buffed back up to his pre-nerf level? 102 votes

Yes
79%
Crine60Jh_DezLocoMotivesSnakeEyes69CableBigdogbobSnizzbarGbSarkarAlfa_PigeonMegaSkater67Acanthusdevil_jeffThat_Dude52JestressAddyosAce_03LosspikGogoDarcilisSIlverProfessor 81 votes
No
10%
Fluffydragon2Romario26Jets44ScottryanThawnimMr_OtterFoxhero007420sam_ASDF_Hendo2014Gintoki 11 votes
I don't know how effective he once was
9%
The_Prankster16IronBlaze09Drewbe14Cloud99999BobomanElitehunterBahamutChampioncriticFrankie4FingersKry0h 10 votes

Comments

• 420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★
    No
    I say no. You could argue that his awakened ability would be nice and that a stronger regen would help him. But there are better champs that do far more damage and the game now seems to be skewed more towards damage than regen and health.
  • ArmyBratArmyBrat Posts: 87
    Yes
    He'd be a good champion to quest with, but it really depends what path you run for AQ and AW.
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    No
    No, Voodoo is a better champ in my opinion. Better power control, nice regeneration, and the ability to nullify. Plus Dr. Strange was really not as good as Scarlet Witch was anyways.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    Yes
    He is an overall complete champion. Is not just regen or power gain. Is also Armor Up, Nullify, Armor Break...
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    Yes
    Of course, he'd be absurdly broken
  • 420sam wrote: »
    Let's say that Kabam decided to change him back to his previous awesomeness. Obviously there are many great champions that have been released since the time of his nerfing that offer many of the same or better abilities.

Dr. Strange's strength came partially from 11.x mechanics that don't exist any more and partially from his incredibly strong health steal. No champion currently replicates those abilities. It is impossible to get a block that strong anymore due to diminishing returns, armor break no longer generates the same huge damage effects, and the only time you see a heal as strong as Dr. Strange had in 11.x is when you use Rogue against a Flare node. Even Blade's heal is a squib compared to 11.x Strange.
  • Thawnim wrote: »
    No, Voodoo is a better champ in my opinion. Better power control, nice regeneration, and the ability to nullify. Plus Dr. Strange was really not as good as Scarlet Witch was anyways.

The comparison pre-12.0 was that Scarlet Witch could do more, but Dr. Strange could do enough 100% reliably. And Strange didn't need a crit team to reach his full potential.
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    420sam wrote: »
    Let's say that Kabam decided to change him back to his previous awesomeness. Obviously there are many great champions that have been released since the time of his nerfing that offer many of the same or better abilities.

Dr. Strange's strength came partially from 11.x mechanics that don't exist any more and partially from his incredibly strong health steal. No champion currently replicates those abilities. It is impossible to get a block that strong anymore due to diminishing returns, armor break no longer generates the same huge damage effects, and the only time you see a heal as strong as Dr. Strange had in 11.x is when you use Rogue against a Flare node. Even Blade's heal is a squib compared to 11.x Strange.

Doesn't DS do pre-nerf levels of healing with Mephisto synergy?
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    Yes
    KhanMedina wrote: »

Doesn't DS do pre-nerf levels of healing with Mephisto synergy?

Lol no, you could heal from zero to near-full with a single L2
  • Yes
    I use dr. Strange for questing and AW war defense now. I think he’s still good. If he was back before he was nerfed it wouldn’t be bad either.
  • Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    No
    While AQ would be nice there’s various issues that V12 added that complicates things

1. Negative Armor is no longer a thing. Used to be able to obliterate armor and keep tearing it off until you saw their SOUL and attack that directly. If it’s still a thing it’s a hollow shell if it’s former glory

2. Diminishing returns ruins that block game a lot

3. His regen mechanic doesn’t really exist anymore as even new champions with regen have solid flat rates.

While id LOVE to get him back as a dependable AQ champion there’s little else I’d ever consider him for
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    No
    Thawnim wrote: »

The comparison pre-12.0 was that Scarlet Witch could do more, but Dr. Strange could do enough 100% reliably. And Strange didn't need a crit team to reach his full potential.

I never said that he was not reliable. What I did say was that she was better. And I know that a lot of that has to do with personal preference. But she was a better boss killer for AQ even without a crit team. Her s2 did a lot of damage that could end matches fast compared to longer matches with him. That is why she was a choice I made often for AQ over him.
  • There is no reason Kabam couldn't or shouldn't have given DS a regen that was closer to that of Ghost Rider's. I truly believe they nerfed him so hard not for balance but because too many folks had him and they wanted people buying crystals for new champs.
  • BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,307 ★★★★
    I don't know how effective he once was
    I didn’t have him at the time. How good was he on a scale of 1 to 10
  • Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    No
    Bahamut wrote: »
    I didn’t have him at the time. How good was he on a scale of 1 to 10

A solid 9. Wasn’t his damage but he could last longer than wolverine and still burst in good hits and took buffs off the enemy like crazy (which he still does)

One of the best blocks and a staggeringly high regen plus a nice zone where you could blast them with a powerful attaxk
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,648 Guardian

I never said that he was not reliable. What I did say was that she was better. And I know that a lot of that has to do with personal preference. But she was a better boss killer for AQ even without a crit team. Her s2 did a lot of damage that could end matches fast compared to longer matches with him. That is why she was a choice I made often for AQ over him.

That's your opinion (that she was better), and many people agreed with you pre 12.0. But I'm saying many other people disagreed because Scarlet Witch's random performance meant that outside of a critical team which increased critical chance to a high enough degree to neutralize most of the randomness in performance Dr. Strange's "best worst case" performance was better than SW's best-worst case performance, and that stability in never performing worse than a particular level was valued higher by many players than the optimum case performance you could get out of SW. There was a legitimate difference of opinion between the two in 11.x that meant there was no consensus winner. I'm highlighting that difference of opinion because people's memories of how strong Strange was pre-12.0 seems to have gotten oddly muted over time, as evidenced by the fact that this is the umpteenth thread I've read recently which claims that many current champs exceed what Strange used to be able to do in 11.x, when its not even really close.
  • imnooneimnoone Posts: 316 ★★
    What's the point of having this discussion is what I am failing to understand.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    Yes

I still use Scarlet Witch as boss killer in AQ map 5.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★

This. The argument that they have God Tier now isn't really feasible because no Champ is capable of doing what they did pre-12.0. There are some that are strong in ways, but none that are all-round. It wouldn't likely be even possible to restore him because the Champ wasn't the only change that was made. We have entirely new mechanics.
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    Yes
    Still use him all the time now, Act 5, AQ, AW etc. Don’t understand all the hate for him personally. Even better when you put him with Mephisto. He would be overpowered in his old state.
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    Yes
    He’s the champion I miss the most and the one I had the most fun with. I would love to use him more again, a slight buff and I’d bring him into aw to deal with Medusas. I don’t get why or how he was nerfed so hard considering they sold that crystal with him before the 12.0 nerf lol.
  • Use him definitely. Even if they juiced him up a little more would use him.
  • NastyEfnNateNastyEfnNate Posts: 551 ★★
    His dmg and power gain are way to low. Make DS great again
  • devil_jeffdevil_jeff Posts: 36
    Yes
    if pre 12.0 DS is back in action, i'll definitely up him back to R5. he's jus messing in the arena now.. but doubt it'll ever happen. There're already quite a numbers of DS thread and obviously kabam is not going to do anything
  • smdam38smdam38 Posts: 843 ★★★
    He's still good. An sp3 from strange is fight changing on bosses and harder fights.

People just have champs now with PI that rivals the bosses with 5*.

If a champ doesn't end a fight in 50 hits they are apparently trash.
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    Yes
    I used Dr strange alot before they nerfed him and he was a beast
  • WebbdogWebbdog Posts: 117
    Yes
    There was never a need to destroy him like they did. They just wanted more ppl to go for voodoo, he was basically the replacement in sales tactics. Unlike SW, ds was not over powered and required a certain skill set level. I know ppl that still can't use him effectively
  • Foxhero007Foxhero007 Posts: 688 ★★★
    No
    no I wouldn't take him in to a quest at all and god tier champions dos not exist, there no such thing in this game.
  • Traca420Traca420 Posts: 42
    Yes
    Do half of you actually remember how great he actually was?????? Yes i would use him in every piece of content i could he was an amazing champ; granted there are more useful champs for certain things but man was he great
  • SupaflyaznSupaflyazn Posts: 75
    Yes
    I miss the old days, my first all 5/50 AQ team of Thor, SW and DS... and before that the Perfect Block team of Cyclops, BB and DS could get me through Map 5 without any health lost, and a couple boss kills!! DS and Thor got me through Maestro the first time in Act 4. It's crazy how much they nerfed these champs, and how great they were before!

In today's MCOC, it is a very different world. I would say the closest champs to what DS used to be now are Ghost Rider and Voodoo, both of which I have at R4, and have been lucky to have.