**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Should unavoidable damage be removed?

1haunted_memory1haunted_memory Posts: 804 ★★★
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Iceman, Magik, Void just to name a few have unavoidable damage that skill cannot counter should this be removed from the game?

Should unavoidable damage be removed? 93 votes

Yes this should be removed
35% 33 votes
No this should stay
40% 38 votes
I can counter all of these (if you tag this one please leave a comment)
23% 22 votes

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    None of them is unavoidable
  • 1haunted_memory1haunted_memory Posts: 804 ★★★
    None of them is unavoidable

uhmmm cols snap, limbo aren't unavoidable please tell me how to counter limbo as far as I know only Mehp and Saber can handle cold snap
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    edited March 2018
    limbo - power control, bait sp1 so lower chance, danger sense,

cold snap - tech champ takes less damage

Ice phoenix was the only time cold snap came close to killing me, and then I used a health boost on my 5/50 SL, and he could solo her.

Edit: Sometimes its about surviving something, rather than completely avoiding it. Example: cold snap, straight up degen from nodes, enrage timers, bane
  • CavalierCavalier Posts: 246
    Keep them, it forces you to think about who to put in your roster to get around said damage. If every fight was just a dodge parry attack routeing it would be boring. I like coming up with ways to get around said obstacles. Keeps it interesting.
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    edited March 2018
    Limbo? Use a voodoo, blade, archangel, or quake or someone who reduces ability accuracy. Dormammu can even keep doing 2 swipes.
    Void? His is really simple. You just make sure to hit the 10th hit as soon as the debuff is applied.
    Iceman coldsnap can be a pain but if you are going in with low health or someone with a low hp bar that you know cannot survive it then that is your own fault. I think rogue would shrugg it off fast.
  • Adamdrt2006Adamdrt2006 Posts: 429
    Since nobody mentioned this sabertooth (i know he isnt out "yet") but he is imune to coldsnap
  • Ayushk12Ayushk12 Posts: 153
    Only make it so that the damage doesn't escalate with the nodes. If regen is based on base health, then make this damage also on base attack only.
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    Glad Hulk is a good counter to these. Magiks Limbo can be countered by reducing defensive ability accuracy, Icemans cold snap isn't Really that bad and has a few counters.
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    There is no damage that is “unavoidable” besides degeneration, which people can argue a regen champ is technically a counter. It’s all about strategy and bringing the correct champs to the correct matchups. They did this so people don’t take starlord and plow through all content in the game.
  • IceBobbyIceBobby Posts: 109
    Iceman I usually just use magic to reverse some of it with limbo or someone with class advantage to partially mitigate the damage. void is pretty easily countable by landing ur tenth combo hit
  • mahanmaxmahanmax Posts: 87
    Sabertooth, Blade, Agent Venom. There will be more counter champions coming out.
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    No just need more counter champs
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    I think kabam created a buff called regen. You might want to look into it to get health back after taking damage. There are champs immune to coldsnap. It doesn’t do near the damage limbo can but it’s much easier to counter limbo than coldsnap. None of this is unavoidable
  • MarriMarri Posts: 260 ★★
    I don't want to go into a discussion if what you can or cannot counter, bear or mitigate. I know about all the options.

As a game mechanic, unavoidable damage is lazy design. Make the game hard and allow skill, reactions etc decide whether you take damage or not. That being said, this game doesn't offer hard enough content for the paying customers because the actual fight mechanics are so limited. So unfair and cheap mechanics are the only way to still draw money from revives from those who pay to win.

Altogether I understand the choices, but something inside me keeps screaming 'Unfair!' when I encounter something I need 1 specific champ for. Even though my skill level should be able to carry me through (not claiming that is always the case...I am certainly not the best)
  • Maldroit1Maldroit1 Posts: 40
    To stop cold snap, use mephisto. Mephisto is naturally immune to cold snap
    To stop limbo, use blade, or use psylocke for power control.
    To stop intamidating presence, use hyperionss heavy attacks to purify the rebuffs.
  • TheHoodedDormammuTheHoodedDormammu Posts: 1,448 ★★★
    edited March 2018

like dormammu. since he is a dimensional being he should be immune to most if not all damage over time debuffs
  • TheHoodedDormammuTheHoodedDormammu Posts: 1,448 ★★★
    _ASDF_ wrote: »

like dormammu. since he is a dimensional being he should be immune to most if not all damage over time debuffs

I’m sure coming from Dormammu that’s a completely unbiased opinion. 😂

lol i guess its biased but still it is true right?
  • BobomanBoboman Posts: 716 ★★
    GULK is your answer
  • XFA_RebootedXFA_Rebooted Posts: 1,048 ★★★
    1. SabreTooth is cold immune
    2. Use any champ: Stun before Magik gets to a special and play on.
    3. Just use Ragnahulk.
  • SomeoneElseSomeoneElse Posts: 424 ★★★
    It doesn't help to say "use champion X" because getting those champions is mostly random. Most regens don't regenerate anywhere near the amount you lose from the debuffs. No one is immune to degen.

I can't think of any other game I've played where you instantly start losing significant amounts of health as soon as the fight begins. In any case, there should always be a way to counter it with skill. It feels like they are adding unavoidable health drain to make the game seem harder than it really is.

I think it would add a lot to the game if they had debuffs you had to counter by using specific types of champions, but that is not how they designed the game. They put debuffs in, some of which you can counter and some you can't, and then they made the champion openings random. They need to pick one identity or another, not try to put strategic choices into a game that is dominated by RNGs.