**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

AW match making

Bruinsfan8510Bruinsfan8510 Posts: 584 ★★★
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Kabam, can you please stop matching my alliance with other alliances whose rating is 2 million or more than ours. It’s getting a little ridiculous

Thank you
Post edited by Kabam Lyra on

Comments

• Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    What are the two alliance's war ratings? Can we get a picture?
    Can I see the war rating though?
    At least be within 1 million rating, and it’s ALWAYS the other alliance that’s ranked above us, never my alliance

Can I see the War Rating?
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    edited March 2018
    At least you got matched @TimmyPD. Ours took 2 hours for each war so by the third war we had a 2 hour window and never got matched in that time: The points from a loss is better than no points at all
  • HeartlessHeartless Posts: 298 ★★
    They changed it up to accommodate one particular alliance at the top so they could find war matches easier, before the matchmaking process took alliance rating in to account as well, seems like they took that away and people not at the top can get bad matches like this a lot more.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    We’re just under 14.5 mil and got matched with an alliance under 18.3 mil, our war ratings are identical. We just got full exploration and are up in defender kills with max diversity, right path assignments and boosting for harder fights goes a long way.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    Alliance rating doesn’t mean too much. My alliance goes up against higher alliance ratings all the time and usually we come out on top because we are more skilled.
    The War Rating is almost the same, I’m talking about the Alliance Rating. Sorry I should’ve cleared that up in the first place

Thats the thing. If you're good at war, you get tougher opponents. It's only fair. Its not fair to have you bully lower skilled alliances.
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    Heartless wrote: »
    They changed it up to accommodate one particular alliance at the top so they could find war matches easier, before the matchmaking process took alliance rating in to account as well, seems like they took that away and people not at the top can get bad matches like this a lot more.

To my knowledge alliance rating never mattered when match making. So basically what y'all crying about is you want to be able to climb to t3 without every fighting an alliance bigger than you?
    edited March 2018
    To my knowledge alliance rating never mattered when match making. So basically what y'all crying about is you want to be able to climb to t3 without every fighting an alliance bigger than you? [/quote]

It did matter, and they recently did change it, try to keep up on changes. And I am not the original poster, I am not complaining about anything, I am just giving the OP information about his issue.

Below is the link where they admit changing war matchmaking to accommodate this one particular alliance, but of course any change to the system effects every alliance.
    http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/51407/regarding-alliance-wars-matchmaking#latest

Talk about conspiracy. The only thing they admitted to in that was that their match making used war rating to find matches. Hence they allowed it to broaden the search at a slightly faster rate. None of that has to do with this thread as he is facing an alliance that is bigger than them in alliance rating but close to even in war rating as it should be.

So once again this thread is people crying about wanting to be able to climb to higher tiers and better rewards without having to fight stronger alliances
    What's your war rating?
    It is not a conspiracy theory, ever since they made these changes recently, more and more smaller alliances have been getting matches like this. I keep up on the forums on a daily basis and see this happening more and more. One change to matchmaking affects everyone, they made it easier for the top alliances to find matches, but they also made smaller alliances vulnerable to beat down matches with higher rated alliances with similar war ratings. It is what it is, my advice to OP is strategize some more and plan a better war because not every match is going to be ideal no matter who you are unless you are the top 3 alliances where it doesn't really matter. My alliance is 17 mil, we faced a 21 mil, was a close war. It's not impossible to beat a higher rated alliance, losses can make you better, just as long as you learn from them.
  • Robby199696Robby199696 Posts: 85
    Overall rating means nothing since some people sell their champs
  • imnooneimnoone Posts: 316 ★★
    edited March 2018
    Kabam, can you please stop matching my alliance with other alliances whose rating is 2 million or more than ours. It’s getting a little ridiculous

Thank you

2 million? LOLLL my alliance was matched with an alliance 8 million higher in rating.
    Get on my level lol ... 2 million is pretty standard
  • Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,172 ★★★
    Being 14.5 million and get matched against 18.5 million, I say that's ok. Cos at higher level everyone is skilled enough with a pretty good roster on attack as well as defence. So only skill matters which should be the actual thing to decide who wins war. But like almost every war, we being a 6 million rating alliance getting matched against 9 and 9+ million rating alliance is not fair. They have a strong roster on defence, even if you are skilled enough you will take lot of kills. Skill is deciding factor when there is at least some sort of level ground. If they place r4 5 stars on most of the nodes against our 4 stars r4 or r5 then even with lesser all the opponent will invariably win. Now you say that war rating, yes war rating is more or less same but that doesn't indicate anything. Imagine if that alliance is not warring regularly then obviously they will be stuck at a particular war rating. It's not just war rating that has to be matched. And if our war rating is equal to them then it simply indicates that we have been more active with a good amount of skill too. Need to understand the problem here and possible solutions. At higher tiers this may not be a serious issue as I stated earlier but at my level at tier 8 and 9 this is an issue.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    Pa_Proud wrote: »
    Around 1400 but fighting alliances with the same war rating isn't right. Should be alliance overall rating.

You’ll run into the same problems with people selling their champs to drop to the same level as you guys.

Anyway, it was based on alliance rating before and tier 1 was filled with low rating alliances.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Around 1400 but fighting alliances with the same war rating isn't right. Should be alliance overall rating.

Why is matching against war rating not right? War rating measures an alliance's success at winning. Two alliances with the same war rating have had the same success at winning and losing, and matching them against each other is the very definition of a fair fight.

Matching against alliance rating is not intrinsically fair, because alliance rating factors in the total rating of every player and the total rating of a player doesn't correlate with how strong they are in alliance war. It includes every single champion they possess, right down to the 2* champs. A player can manipulate their player rating to make it lower without hurting their war performance - just sell the lower champs. In that way, a very strong alliance can manipulate their way down to a very low alliance rating while maintaining a very strong war performance.

Basically, players seeing match ups in which they are matched against an alliance that is several million points higher than them are seeing what happens when the game correctly ignores alliance rating. But if the game did factor in alliance rating it would only encourage alliances to dump lower champs, lowering their rating. You'd then be fighting alliances with ratings several million *lower* than you, and still getting smashed by them. Worse, no matter how many times you lose you'd still get matched against those alliances because losing doesn't lower alliance rating. You'd then have to make the tough decision on whether or not to do likewise, and sell lower champions to manipulate yourself into a lower rating also. That would be bad for the game, so it isn't a good idea to match on alliance rating.
  • Cujo999Cujo999 Posts: 117
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Why is matching against war rating not right? War rating measures an alliance's success at winning. Two alliances with the same war rating have had the same success at winning and losing, and matching them against each other is the very definition of a fair fight.

Matching against alliance rating is not intrinsically fair, because alliance rating factors in the total rating of every player and the total rating of a player doesn't correlate with how strong they are in alliance war. It includes every single champion they possess, right down to the 2* champs. A player can manipulate their player rating to make it lower without hurting their war performance - just sell the lower champs. In that way, a very strong alliance can manipulate their way down to a very low alliance rating while maintaining a very strong war performance.

Basically, players seeing match ups in which they are matched against an alliance that is several million points higher than them are seeing what happens when the game correctly ignores alliance rating. But if the game did factor in alliance rating it would only encourage alliances to dump lower champs, lowering their rating. You'd then be fighting alliances with ratings several million *lower* than you, and still getting smashed by them. Worse, no matter how many times you lose you'd still get matched against those alliances because losing doesn't lower alliance rating. You'd then have to make the tough decision on whether or not to do likewise, and sell lower champions to manipulate yourself into a lower rating also. That would be bad for the game, so it isn't a good idea to match on alliance rating.

I can understand not wanting to use a criteria like Alliance Rating that can be easily manipulated, but the fact is that War Rating has been manipulated for a long time through practices like shell alliances, collusion, manipulating the matchmaking process, tanking/sandbagging, etc. Plus, War Rating can be much higher or lower than what it currently should be based on mergers, mass exodus, rebuilds, and start up alliances.

War Rating is also highly imperfect because it never resets. An alliance's current War Rating can be impacted by past results that literally none of the current roster had any involvement in. Virtually every Alliance's War Rating is impacted the performances of individuals no longer in that alliance. If each individual player had their own War Rating based on their individual past performance, and the Alliance War Rating was the total of it's current members, it would be a better measure.

It's also a bad measure because it's effectiveness gets worse and worse the further you get from the top. A 10 mil Alliance vs a 12 mil Alliance with an identical War Rating of 1500 is a much more even matchup than a 3 mil Alliance vs a 1 mil Alliance with an identical War Rating of 150. Realistically, it's probably better to use both as a weighted measure, with War Rating holding more weight in the upper tiers and Alliance Rating being the primary factor in the lower tiers.
  • ThebgjThebgj Posts: 635 ★★
    edited March 2018
    ehfksey6nl4z.png

Our alliance ^

We missed A war last Sunday the 18th (our first missed war due to 3+ hour search time)

Then after a long long long long season of never moving from 700ish range rank GOLD 1, we were put up against these for the next 2 wars ....

d04dddag47xc.png
    hna7272fqeph.png
    And we missed yet another war this past Sunday the 25th and now we’re at GOLD 2 😡. If we never moved from tier 1 gold, no way in heck we’ll move back to GOLD 1 even if we win the last wars of the season
  • Orangeblood19Orangeblood19 Posts: 21
    Thebgj wrote: »
    And we missed yet another war this past Sunday the 25th and now we’re at GOLD 2 😡. If we never moved from tier 1 gold, no way in heck we’ll move back to GOLD 1 even if we win the last wars of the season

How were you guys winning wars in tier 4/5 with 10 guys below 100k?
    edited March 2018
    We only do 2 BG’s

Not only were we winning, but we were undefeated for the season till the first missed war