**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Should I join an Alliance?

MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,280 ★★★★★
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
Can I ask for some information on playing on another Alliance? It's becoming clear that there are much better opportunities for rewards in the Alliance section of the game than elsewhere, if you want to advance your team, and I'm getting bored of grinding the arenas for shards.

This is me:
e33q6r6r7z2u.png

I suspect that I'm neither an outstanding nor a novice player; and have some champions that stack up well together; even if they're stuck at 4/40.

I have avoided Alliance gaming before because I'm concerned about the time commitments being very different to solo gameplay.

Not that I don't have any time; but as a dad of two with full time job, I tend to fit in my MCOC gaming in bits and pieces of 10-20 minutes; with longer chunks in morning and evening, and very little during the working day.

That works okay for Event quests and arenas; but does it work in Alliances? To be an active Alliance member, would I be able to come and go like this, or would that drive my teammates nuts? Would I need longer blocks of dedicated time, which currently I would struggle to get out of my life?

If I'm making progress in a map, then go to work for eight hours, am I in the way? do I become a roadblock to the success of my team?

I'd like some useful feedback please - I am genuinely interested in Alliance gaming, but would want to be an active participant. It's clear that AQ and AW have strict time-related issues, so I need to know if my way of accessing the game in short bursts of time is a hindrance to me and potential teammates. What are the best ways of finding a group my play style would fit into?

I'm looking at some stuff on YouTube about finding Alliances and so forth, but thought I'd ask for some direct advice from you guys as well. Happy to have your thoughts.

Comments

• AdvoMiggyAdvoMiggy Posts: 73
    AQ-doesn't take much time at all--you can move your line forward in as little as 5 mins. AW is similar in the fact that you build your energy up and then move in bursts. What you would need to ask before joining an alliance is what are the expectations--for ex--I would think you would be fine in AQ/AW--where you would have difficulty is duels-event quests-arena--some alliances expect full participation and other only require AQ activity AW activity or both. What I can tell you is--if you want to get your champs to R5 then you really need to join an alliance regardless. Just tell them what you can or can't do and they will invite if it's a good fit...
  • ThisguyThisguy Posts: 80
    As long as you can take a bathroom or smoke break every few hours you should be good. Aq and aw don't take but a few minutes every couple of hours to keep moving. Even events like duels give you like 24 hours to get your fights in. Very few alliances have requirements for arena events. Only thing that might be a struggle for you is completion minimums and item use (if that alliance has a minimum for it, lots dont). But even then you can run a few quest after work or on lunch break and be good.

You should definitely join an alliance though. Even if it's a low rating one just to get a taste of its like. There are so many out there with different requirements that I'm sure you can find one that fits you.
  • thanks4playingthanks4playing Posts: 805 ★★★
    Definitely join and I'm sure you'd be an excellent fit somewhere. Just note one thing. The ai and the game play speed are different in aq/aw than anything I've ever experienced in solo quests. It'll take some time to get used to it but if you are a quick learner then you'll adjust quickly and have so much fun doing it. Just let the recruiter know so that the expectations are realistic.

The alliance factor is what is keeping me hooked to the game. If you thought mcoc was fun playing solo then you're in for a real
  • DidzeeDidzee Posts: 35
    Hello. We are very organized and friendly ally with a lot of parents between us. And i am sure you could be able to play quests. They don't take too much. Add me in Line: didzee420, and i can tell you more. Greeting from MoM
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    The advice above is solid and well-considered. One other thing you may want to look at is an alliance that does 2 BG AW, which would allow you to opt out when you don't have time to play AW. AQ can be done at breakfast, on the train, during lunch, train ride home, before bed... But you are smart to worry that the game can become too consuming--real life should always trump, and for many of us, it is easy to get lost in the game. I would suggest trying a low-key alliance (make them define what that means--I consider my alliance "low-key" versus the likes of top alliances, but I have had several people seeking more of a retirement setting recoil at the amount of our play time).

Good luck to you!

Dr. Zola
  • MyTaffyMyTaffy Posts: 144
    Just pick your alliance carefully. There are some alliances that are relaxed yet got their jobs done; there are some alliances forced you to spend a lot of time in game.
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    You should absolutely join an alliance. Aside from just the crystal shards you get from alliance events, you also would be able to get AQ rewards and glory and loyalty that can be used in the store to gather more stuff.
  • Medik101Medik101 Posts: 58
    Message me in game @ medic10617, or on LINE @. medik101 . We might have a place for you.
  • PuzzledunicornPuzzledunicorn Posts: 10
    As said by DrZola, the above advice is solid. The only thing they haven't mentioned is if you are covering a path in AQ/AW but run out of energy just short of a node that powers up another node and cant remove it; this could be seen as a slight hindrance by someone inexperienced with AQ/AW, however another member can take over that path from where you left off not using any of their energy on parts of the path that you have already covered, given they haven't already chosen another path (obviously).

My in-game name is Puzzledunicorn, add me if you'd like a chat about anything alliance related im sure i can help (or know someone that can), we also have a spot in my alliance for you if you'd like it; we do have some requirements nothing too drastic or that requires you to be on for long periods of time. I can inform you of these if you wish to join.

Good luck with the alliance information hunt. :smiley:
  • JuggerneyksJuggerneyks Posts: 275 ★★
    that is impressive to be at your rating with never being in an alliance, you must be real sick of arena :)
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    100% join one. Hit the recruitment section of the forum and search to see if anything sounds like a fit and also can post about what you are looking for. There are many different types of alliances out there that cater to all different schedules from casual to hardcore.
  • GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    Definitely join one. Make sure it's the right fit for you. Since you don't know anything about alliance events and aq and war yet, it will be hard to know if the maps they run, the war tiers they are in and minimums they set will fit you. Alliances have two parts though, the ingame part where they play and the Line/Kick/GroupMe/Facebook/Whatsapp part where they communicate and have fun. Make sure to ask about the second part and see if that sounds riht for you.

Now some shameless recruiting:
    MoM is an ally for adults. We are very organized 5M ally, rebuilding after some of our veteran players retired.
    We have an Awesome chat where to talk about anything, and we have very organized BG chats.
    Our main focus is communication. We're all adults enjoying the game, working towards the same goals together. Most of us have young children of our own, I persnally gave birth a little over 2 weeks ago, so being a dad of two will only make you fit in :)
    We use Line, my user id is Gwennie333, it would be great if you added me so we can find out if MoM is the right fit.
  • DanieltDanielt Posts: 9
    Magrailothos , tell me about your experiences. I'm in a similar situation, not a lot of time to play per day. How much time are you spending?
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Joining a good alliance was a game changer for me. Lots of good groups don't require inordinate amounts of time. Find an active group that doens't have event requirements, especially arena events, and runs AQ and AW
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    Most alliances are incompetent, unorganized and literally have no idea how to play the game.

A competitive alliance will require a lot of time but you will progress rapidly.

An alliance war focused alliance will eventually burnout because they will have everyone chasing after the latest god Tier champ in the game. I would avoid any alliance that says they are AW focused.

If an alliance is focused on Map 4 they havent figured out that Map 3 gives more useful items. Map 4 crystals just flat out suck. So I would avoid those too.

You progress any more faster with alliances that run Map 2, might as well stay solo.

Map 5 only make sense to run if you run all 3bgs and 100% complete them everyday and you’ll have to grind the arena for gold and battle chips. Most alliances in the game can’t do Map 5 not because a lack of skill, but a lack of organization, understanding and desire.

Map 6 is only for the truly competitive

Hopefully when Kabam refreshes AQ they can straighten out the crystals, and the rewards could use a little tweaking at the lower levels.

As someone else posted choose your alliance carefully and don’t be afraid to leave an alliance.
    3s4n7s5m9s6m.png

I'm trying to understand how much time works for the alliance. I generally have 30 to 45 minutes to play most weekdays, and a few hours both weekend days. I don't want to be a problem if I miss a weekday, or I'm away for a weekend. If time is critical, I may just have to stay solo.
    I truly don't know how the alliance wars and quests work.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    I have a similar rating to the OP except with 3 5/50's as top champs, I run an alliance of 5 where 3 dont even log in most of the month, no quest or war, they are only there to make up the numbers.

The R5 I have came purely from EQ shard crystals plus the rare calendar. I can do 2 more now but I'm waiting for the right champs.

In my opinion, for a solo or casual player that can't just log in whenever someone else demands it or doesn't want to be annoyed on line with funny cat photos or crappy jokes you may as well join a non active alliance where all you are looking for is SA and whatever else free **** you can earn just by doing the things you are doing now.

Find 4 friends and create your own alliance or join one that suits you and understand that your roster won't change overnight.

Where you are now compared to where you want to be is probably a huge commitment, one that I personally am not willing to undertake since I play for fun.

I'm not recruiting because I have nothing to offer but there are probably plenty playing solo that should just band together for the free ****.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    I have a similar rating to the OP except with 3 5/50's as top champs, I run an alliance of 5 where 3 dont even log in most of the month, no quest or war, they are only there to make up the numbers.

The R5 I have came purely from EQ shard crystals plus the rare calendar. I can do 2 more now but I'm waiting for the right champs.

In my opinion, for a solo or casual player that can't just log in whenever someone else demands it or doesn't want to be annoyed on line with funny cat photos or crappy jokes you may as well join a non active alliance where all you are looking for is SA and whatever else free **** you can earn just by doing the things you are doing now.

Find 4 friends and create your own alliance or join one that suits you and understand that your roster won't change overnight.

Where you are now compared to where you want to be is probably a huge commitment, one that I personally am not willing to undertake since I play for fun.

I'm not recruiting because I have nothing to offer but there are probably plenty playing solo that should just band together for the free ****.
  • Start with a map 3 alliance and go from there. Not sure if u could handle map 5 with those champs
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    @Taserface

Map 3 crystals give 175 T4 frags, selling t3 frags gives you 180 T4 frags. Either do Map 5 or stay solo.

Makes no sense
  • Brew_SwayneBrew_Swayne Posts: 500 ★★
    edited April 2018
    Danielt wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand how much time works for the alliance. I generally have 30 to 45 minutes to play most weekdays, and a few hours both weekend days. I don't want to be a problem if I miss a weekday, or I'm away for a weekend. If time is critical, I may just have to stay solo.
    I truly don't know how the alliance wars and quests work.

Being in an alliance takes some level of commitment and availability. How much depends on how serious and active the alliance is.

At a minimum, you should be able to make yourself available for AQ/AW approximately every 5-8 hours or so. In those events, you have a maximum of 5 energy with a 1 hour refresh rate per energy.

So if you can jump in the game for about 5-10 min every 5-8 hrs and clear your path, then you should be fine with casual alliances.

More serious alliances will want more participation though. Aside from AQ/AW, there are Alliance events that give rewards. They work the same as solo events, but rewards are based on the combined score of the entire team.

Also, it's weird that this thread got dug up from like 8 months ago.
  • Definitely join an alliance and download the line app if you can. Most alliances use the line app to send and receive player communication just so they don’t have to message you back and forth in the game. Talk to officers and leaders of potential alliances to find the right fit for your schedule in addition to what would be your daily requirements as 1 out of 30 participants. I think once you’re in it and make friends you will begin to see how much more value it is compared to solo gameplay. I certainly do. Not to mention your personal account in this game and rate of progression will sky rocket once you join and that is something we all want. So find a good home for yourself and work hard with your alliance mates. You will never regret it. Good luck and happy gaming :)
  • GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945 ★★★
    My boyfriend and I have a young child that cut into our play time. We both play every day, but he can't juggle work, a kid and a high alliance right now. He went from an intense alliance to playing casual, map 3. I played solo for a bit and then went back to a fun map 5 alliance. I don't work so logging in during the day isn't an issue, but my arena time is gone.

His alliance might actually be a good spot for you. At least to try and see. War is optional (but if you place you have to do attack) and map 3 is low pressure.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,280 ★★★★★
    Actually I eventually decided not to. I can see the appeal; but with two kids and now with a third on the way, I needed to spend less time playing rather than more!

I appreciate the advice though; and I think this thread got dug up because I was commenting on solo progression in a different thread, so hopefully it's been useful reading for some of the other solo players out there.

Thanks, all.
    I found this thread and started asking questions when I searched for "should I join an alliance". I also have little time for a game compared to my family.

I had two days this week when I didn't hardly look at the game, so alliance play probably isn't for me.

I wish it were a easier to advance my heroes in solo play. It takes way too long to get tier four catalysts, I've got over a dozen four or five stars waiting to upgrade.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.