**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Does the "Window to Parry" ever vary? (ie window get smaller in harder difficulty)

So I have noticed in harder fights it "seems/feels" like the window to parry is much smaller. Is this the case?

Honestly it seems when fighting a 3* I can parry like a full second early or late and still get the successful Parry but fighting a 4/5* the window feels much smaller.

So is there any change in the window for a successful parry or is it just a perception illusion (or even a frame rate/lag issue)? Just curious as the window seems (again seems... not saying this is the case) to vary greatly.

Comments

• KnightarthusKnightarthus Posts: 419 ★★★
    I don’t believe it does. However, some champions appear to have faster reflexes than others. Certain champions appear to be harder to parry than others. I could be wrong.
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,498 ★★★★★
    Well, I think many in the community would agree that over time the parry "widow" has been reduced. I can't comment on how it varies across levels of gameplay.
  • SgtSlaughter78SgtSlaughter78 Posts: 462 ★★★
    I absolutely think it varies, smaller windows in harder content.
  • DL864DL864 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    Yes absolutely parry timing gets smaller with harder content as it should. In uncollected parrying has a much smaller window for error then herico
  • BigDaddyJoeBigDaddyJoe Posts: 357 ★★
    @DNA3000 I completely agree with what u mentioned above. I like to use the phrase “turning the dials” to adjust a certain outcome of what the game wants to happen.
  • Brew_SwayneBrew_Swayne Posts: 500 ★★
    I believe parry is affected by the Challenge Rating system that was put in place with (I think) 12.0. So if you're using a max 3* (challenge rating 70) and fighting against a 5* R4 (challenge rating 110), then I think you'll find a reduction in certain abilities, like parry or perfect block, for example.
  • BigDaddyJoeBigDaddyJoe Posts: 357 ★★
    War is the perfect example. Let’s be real for a moment.
    This is just my theory:
    It’s a 3-2 boss clear at this point. The 3rd group is going in for the kill on the the main boss and let’s say it’s OGSM... his chance to evade “could possibly” go up depending on if the game wants to possibly cause more item use.

I think that’s a given. If I was Mr. Kabam himself I would turn the dials a tad to make him evade / insta-attack (like the AI loves to do so much) like a monkey 🐒 to wipe more attackers out. Since it’s a 3-2 boss clear already the team is pressed to do what it takes to get this dude down. So at this point it’s almost win at all cost because the other 20 guys / gals are watching and waiting for this to be over. #PoppinPots #BlowinUnits like a wildman
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    I believe parry is affected by the Challenge Rating system that was put in place with (I think) 12.0. So if you're using a max 3* (challenge rating 70) and fighting against a 5* R4 (challenge rating 110), then I think you'll find a reduction in certain abilities, like parry or perfect block, for example.

Challenge rating affects flat stat values only. CR is just a tuning parameter of DR, which means only stats affected by DR are affected by CR. Parry is unaffected by DR. In fact, Parry used to simply buff block in 12.0, which in effect made Parry indirectly affected by DR but in 12.0.1 Parry was changed to be a flat bonus outside of DR. This means Parry is no longer affected by DR, and thus it is unaffected by CR.

Parry itself is an ability that is triggered by "well-timed blocks." I've seen no evidence that well-timed blocks are directly affected by CR, and if well-timed blocks were directly affected by CR the effect ought to be strongest when facing off against the highest level stuff, which doesn't happen universally.

Also, just FYI you mention using max 3* vs 4/55. Challenge rating affects opponents. The difference in challenge rating has no effect. In other words, when you fight a 4/55, your stats are reduced based on the DR formula and the challenge rating of that opponent. This effect is unaffected in any way by your own challenge rating. Whether you use a 6* champion or a 1* champion, DR and CR will affect you in exactly the same way. Your starting stats will of course be different, but the effect your opponent has on you has nothing to do with your own CR. Their CR affects you, your CR affects them.

This is sometimes a difficult concept to get across, so imagine there was such a thing as a champion with 1,000,000 CR. That CR is so high that when you fight it your stats like critical rating will be reduced practically to zero. But what if you possessed a champion with 2,000,000 CR? Your CR is twice as big as your opponent so your critical stats should end up better, right? Nope: you'd still be reduced to basically zero.

Bottom line: Parry and Perfect Block are abilities. But the execution of a parry requires executing a well-timed block that has nothing to do with abilities. It is a function of how the game's animation and movement system work. There is no such thing as a well-timed block stat or ability for DR to affect.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    No
    War is the perfect example. Let’s be real for a moment.
    This is just my theory:
    It’s a 3-2 boss clear at this point. The 3rd group is going in for the kill on the the main boss and let’s say it’s OGSM... his chance to evade “could possibly” go up depending on if the game wants to possibly cause more item use.

I think that’s a given. If I was Mr. Kabam himself I would turn the dials a tad to make him evade / insta-attack (like the AI loves to do so much) like a monkey 🐒 to wipe more attackers out. Since it’s a 3-2 boss clear already the team is pressed to do what it takes to get this dude down. So at this point it’s almost win at all cost because the other 20 guys / gals are watching and waiting for this to be over. #PoppinPots #BlowinUnits like a wildman

I've been the guy trying to get the last boss kill in AW more than once. If the game has a trigger to make that situation more difficult to force players to spend more, it must like me so much it has decided to never inflict it upon me.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    No
  • Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    I do not believe that the window for parry shrinks butnit is in fact the speed of the opponent that changes. So the parry still needs to occur during the same 10 frames of an animation but as the difficulty increase those 10 frames become quicker.
    So whilst the window does not shrink persay the it does need to be more precise
    Maat1985 wrote: »
    I do not believe that the window for parry shrinks butnit is in fact the speed of the opponent that changes. So the parry still needs to occur during the same 10 frames of an animation but as the difficulty increase those 10 frames become quicker.
    So whilst the window does not shrink persay the it does need to be more precise

Normally to make animations appear smooth the animators will make the animations synchronized with the game's frame rate. So normally that isn't messed with too much. And in video recordings of game play I haven't detected evidence of variable frame rate animations so far. If animations did change speed even slightly, I would expect players to detect a difference in evading specials at the same time they detect changes in parry timing, but I haven't heard of a significant number of those kinds of problems. Parry problem reports outnumber evade problem reports by like a thousand to one. So this seems unlikely to me.
    I also question how many parry and evade problem reports are legit and how many are just when someone is having a time where they are not playing the best.
    My parry isnt working... cant be me... must be the game kind of thing....
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    I have noticed that when I'm tired or have had a beer (or 3), my parry timing is horrible. It feels like I'm hitting the buttons at the right time, but more than likely my reactions are just slower. Lying in bed at 11pm or later, even simple arena grinding fights get challenging due to reduced reaction times.

With that in mind, if I have "critical" fights I will time them for just after dinner because I am the most awake and can better pay attention to the game. You will rarely see me try to take down a AW boss or make a run through Uncollected first thing in the morning unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Dexman1349 wrote: »
    I have noticed that when I'm tired or have had a beer (or 3), my parry timing is horrible. It feels like I'm hitting the buttons at the right time, but more than likely my reactions are just slower. Lying in bed at 11pm or later, even simple arena grinding fights get challenging due to reduced reaction times.

With that in mind, if I have "critical" fights I will time them for just after dinner because I am the most awake and can better pay attention to the game. You will rarely see me try to take down a AW boss or make a run through Uncollected first thing in the morning unless it's absolutely necessary.

Exactly i play arena while watching tv... some fights are total ****....
    If i find a have a couple of aq fights that i feel are really bad i stop... and come back later more focused with no distractions around. Personally i find most of the time it seems to be me not the game. Although at the time i blame the game
  • GriffoplayGriffoplay Posts: 265
    DNA3000 wrote: »

This is sometimes a difficult concept to get across, so imagine there was such a thing as a champion with 1,000,000 CR. That CR is so high that when you fight it your stats like critical rating will be reduced practically to zero. But what if you possessed a champion with 2,000,000 CR? Your CR is twice as big as your opponent so your critical stats should end up better, right? Nope: you'd still be reduced to basically zero.

There is no realtion if DR is not mentioned
  • I am assuming that you have maxed out mastery for parry. Well you are correct the higher tier level your opponent is, the difficult them to parry.
    Mactan0715 wrote: »
    I am assuming that you have maxed out mastery for parry. Well you are correct the higher tier level your opponent is, the difficult them to parry.

Maxed parry only affects the duration of stun... not the timing of parry...
  • TedFedsTedFeds Posts: 8
    There is variation in the parry window in certain characters such as Iceman, Blade, and Groot to name a few. Also, while in a quest there may be nodes that reduce the time of stuns by X amount each time the enemy is stunned. You can check this on the top right of an enemy’s stats before you enter the battle. Lastly, in versus mode and alliance wars, the enemies have all of the masteries of enemy players. This leads to the possibility that the stun reduction mastery is active which is a base reduction in time the enemy is stunned. But as I said that is only in versus or alliance wars as I see it. Hope this helps
    -TedFeds, a dude who plays contest
    edited April 2018
    TedFeds wrote: »
    There is variation in the parry window in certain characters such as Iceman, Blade, and Groot to name a few. Also, while in a quest there may be nodes that reduce the time of stuns by X amount each time the enemy is stunned. You can check this on the top right of an enemy’s stats before you enter the battle. Lastly, in versus mode and alliance wars, the enemies have all of the masteries of enemy players. This leads to the possibility that the stun reduction mastery is active which is a base reduction in time the enemy is stunned. But as I said that is only in versus or alliance wars as I see it. Hope this helps
    -TedFeds, a dude who plays contest

U are mistaken. This is not about the stun duration. That is different.
    we are talking about how exact your timing needs to be when you press block for it to be a parry and not just a regular block or a missed block
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Challenge rating affects flat stat values only. CR is just a tuning parameter of DR, which means only stats affected by DR are affected by CR. Parry is unaffected by DR. In fact, Parry used to simply buff block in 12.0, which in effect made Parry indirectly affected by DR but in 12.0.1 Parry was changed to be a flat bonus outside of DR. This means Parry is no longer affected by DR, and thus it is unaffected by CR.

Parry itself is an ability that is triggered by "well-timed blocks." I've seen no evidence that well-timed blocks are directly affected by CR, and if well-timed blocks were directly affected by CR the effect ought to be strongest when facing off against the highest level stuff, which doesn't happen universally.

Also, just FYI you mention using max 3* vs 4/55. Challenge rating affects opponents. The difference in challenge rating has no effect. In other words, when you fight a 4/55, your stats are reduced based on the DR formula and the challenge rating of that opponent. This effect is unaffected in any way by your own challenge rating. Whether you use a 6* champion or a 1* champion, DR and CR will affect you in exactly the same way. Your starting stats will of course be different, but the effect your opponent has on you has nothing to do with your own CR. Their CR affects you, your CR affects them.

Bottom line: Parry and Perfect Block are abilities. But the execution of a parry requires executing a well-timed block that has nothing to do with abilities. It is a function of how the game's animation and movement system work. There is no such thing as a well-timed block stat or ability for DR to affect.

Here’s what I wonder, and for the sake of argument let’s say that I agree with your “maybe”:

With more buffs, challenger rating and other items to “process” in harder, feature-heavy fights, is it possible that there is at least a slight deviation from normal parry simply because of all the items that require processing? By that I mean that the app/phone have a heavier load or perhaps have an order of operations in a heavy fight that is different from a simple 1v1 fight.

I’m not a coder, but you and others claim coding experience. Thoughts?

Dr. Zola
  • NarcuulNarcuul Posts: 115
    While I don't really feel that the window ever varies, it does seem at times that it closes shut depending on what you're doing. I have completely given up trying to parry after I have dashed back. It seems to take over a second before whatever invisible timer exists to reset before parry becomes available after a dash back. I believe there are other instances where parry seems turned off, but I cannot think of any off the top of my head.