**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Alliance Quest Miniboss and Sentinel Refresh - April 2018 - Discussion Thread [Updated April 13]

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Demonzfyre wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Credit where credits due, well done for working quickly to right the wrong. I’m sure everyone’s grateful for you admitting kabam missed the mark and are fixing the issue. Thanks.

There was no wrong.....

Well there was, otherwise kabam wouldn’t be changing it and making it right. Whenever you want to stop whining about kabam doing something right is great with me! :)

Same for when you want to stop whinging about them doing a wrong.

According to you, adding a sentinel to replace a Symboid is a wrong, because your struggling to beat a 7k PI champ with about 25k health.

Yep that’s so wrong of Kabam isn’t it.

My issue is, and always has been, kabam claiming there was no difficulty change. I can handle to sentinels, they are more difficult but I didn’t mind about them. I don’t like that they upped the difficulty without upping the rewards, the fact I could deal with it is irrelevant.

So, yep, it is wrong of kabam.

Was there really a difficulty change or was it that you are so used to fighting symbiods that getting used to a different champ with a different fighting style takes getting used too? Symbiods were easy, no thought needed in beating them. Sentinels come along and now you cant be in cruise mode. You have to use strategy and you dont like it because its not easy and since its different so you think you are owed these great new rewards or get rid of the sentinels because you arent used to them yet.

I did think about that and I actually made a post explaining why I believed it is a change in difficulty and not just one of circumstance. What it boiled down to was that when adaptoids were changed to symbioid after aq season 1. Venom replaced Kang bringing in symbioids to replace adaptoids. They each have different move sets and abilities. But There was nowhere near this level of unease with the new content in aq. Simply because adaptoids and symbioids were the same difficulty. Sentinels are not.

Here's where I can agree with you on. They are awkward as h*ll. I will admit that. Their fighting style is clunky and hard to get used style wise. Thats where a lot of people are confusing difficulty with unfamiliarity.

If that were the case, it would not be difficult to convince the developers of this. You may simply be unfamiliar with the most efficient way to do so.

Thats what i am saying though. We had symboids for like what a year? You know how they work, you know what to expect and its just business as usual. Now you have a AI Sentinel that isn't all that aggressive and has different move set. The community didn't even give it at chance. They were up in arms before AQ even started. No one gave them a chance and didn't try to learn and understand how to combat them.

Why wasn’t there this sort of reaction when adaptoids changed to symbioids?
  • ANTI_HERO3ANTI_HERO3 Posts: 6
    I think it's funny they would rather nerf the sentinels than give us better rewards. Cheap skates
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,978 ★★★★★
    Credit where credits due, well done for working quickly to right the wrong. I’m sure everyone’s grateful for you admitting kabam missed the mark and are fixing the issue. Thanks.

There was no wrong.....

Well there was, otherwise kabam wouldn’t be changing it and making it right. Whenever you want to stop whining about kabam doing something right is great with me! :)

According to you, adding a sentinel to replace a Symboid is a wrong, because your struggling to beat a 7k PI champ with about 25k health.

My issue is, and always has been, kabam claiming there was no difficulty change. I can handle to sentinels, they are more difficult but I didn’t mind about them. I don’t like that they upped the difficulty without upping the rewards, the fact I could deal with it is irrelevant.

Was there really a difficulty change or was it that you are so used to fighting symbiods that getting used to a different champ with a different fighting style takes getting used too? Symbiods were easy, no thought needed in beating them. Sentinels come along and now you cant be in cruise mode. You have to use strategy and you dont like it because its not easy and since its different so you think you are owed these great new rewards or get rid of the sentinels because you arent used to them yet.

I did think about that and I actually made a post explaining why I believed it is a change in difficulty and not just one of circumstance. What it boiled down to was that when adaptoids were changed to symbioid after aq season 1. Venom replaced Kang bringing in symbioids to replace adaptoids. They each have different move sets and abilities. But There was nowhere near this level of unease with the new content in aq. Simply because adaptoids and symbioids were the same difficulty. Sentinels are not.

Here's where I can agree with you on. They are awkward as h*ll. I will admit that. Their fighting style is clunky and hard to get used style wise. Thats where a lot of people are confusing difficulty with unfamiliarity.

If that were the case, it would not be difficult to convince the developers of this. You may simply be unfamiliar with the most efficient way to do so.

Thats what i am saying though. We had symboids for like what a year? You know how they work, you know what to expect and its just business as usual. Now you have a AI Sentinel that isn't all that aggressive and has different move set. The community didn't even give it at chance. They were up in arms before AQ even started. No one gave them a chance and didn't try to learn and understand how to combat them.

Because they were the exact same thing. You should be asking where was the uproar for ultron drones. bleed and poison immune as well.

There was no wrong.....

Because they were the exact same thing. You should be asking where was the uproar for ultron drones. bleed and poison immune as well.

Ok, where was the uproar for ultron drones? I believe they were in aq at some point.

There was no wrong.....

Ok, where was the uproar for ultron drones? I believe they were in aq at some point.

There wasn't. They were between adaptiods and symbiods i believe. Before map 6. We've had bleed and poison immune the those drones before so why is it any different this time?

There was no wrong.....

There wasn't. They were between adaptiods and symbiods i believe. Before map 6. We've had bleed and poison immune the those drones before so why is it any different this time?

It feels like you’re helping prove my point. There was no uproar for ultron drones because there was no difficulty change. There is an uproar for sentinels because there is a substantial difficulty change.
  • LCv2LCv2 Posts: 18
    I would say that most of the people arguing that the Sentinels are not that hard, likely don't actually face the difficult ones or are just too damned busy posing as elite players to go find out themselves. An ego trying to impress the masses. If someone honestly feels they are similar, yet Kabam is changing them to lessen the difficulty, then that must make these "players" eat some nice tasting crow. Clearly, the difficulty increase is there, otherwise Kabam wouldn't be changing anything...thus disproving the entire argument of "they aren't that difficult, it's just that you suck and I don't" standard gamer ego.
  • TonedefTonedef Posts: 137
    ANTI_HERO3 wrote: »
    I think it's funny they would rather nerf the sentinels than give us better rewards. Cheap skates

All I can say is whhhhyyyy!? The rewards should have been buffed and sentinels kept the same or very slightly nerfed. With a little practice, a little luck, and a rank up or two they aren’t as devistatingly difficult as they were made out to be.

Two questions:
    Are passive abilities affected by ability accuracy reduction?
    Will Medusa’s S3 shatter skill Sentinels armor only 50% of the time?
  • TonedefTonedef Posts: 137
    edited April 2018
    @Mcord117 I took my ultron from R2 to R5 specifically for AQ because wolverine’s usefulness was reduced and I needed a regen/bleed immune for MS. That rank up was a massive waste of resources. A rank up made mainly because Kabam fussed with a perfectly fine part of the game, partially because I’m a dumbass. He’s so weak he pushes the Sentinels to 40 analysis well before they’re even close to dead.

Is that a 4/55 ultron?

That may be true for some people, but how players reacted doesn't alter the fact that the Sentinels are dramatically more difficult than the opponents they replaced, contradicting the intent expressed by the devs, and introducing a difficulty element into the game that in my opinion should not be introduced into alliance play without significant advance warning. You are talking about the magnitude of the response, but that's a very subjective thing. The problems associated with the change are not subjective.

The question you asked was: "Was there really a difficulty change or was it that you are so used to fighting symbiods that getting used to a different champ with a different fighting style takes getting used too?" Those are not mutually exclusive things. The Sentinels do have a different fighting "style" and there's no question that their special attacks are more difficult to evade than the opponents they replaced, especially special two. That's true whether players learn to avoid them or not. But Sentinels are also more difficult because they have damage immunities which affects some damage dealers, they have scaling attack rating which causes them to deal more damage over time, they gain unblockable secondary effects and unblockable special damage during the fight, and they have other special abilities depending on their designated class. All of those things combine to make the Sentinels harder to fight, take longer to kill, and expose the player to more damage during the fight. Even if the Sentinels don't directly kill the player, they can deal enough damage to make them far more susceptible to dying in other fights.

All of these things are objective facts about the Sentinels that make them more dangerous. The fact that it is trivial to prove that these things directly translated into a dramatically lower performance across the board for players of the game is icing on the cake. It simply means I don't have to logically prove those things lead to actual difficulty in actual fact, because they did in fact do so. But it should be obvious to anyone that they would have.

And in case it wasn't clear, if anyone's attitude is that the players complaining about the difficulty change should just get better, then my response is if anyone's attitude is that they don't like Kabam reducing the difficulty of the Sentinels then they should get better at convincing the devs to not make those changes. "Get good" is either equally valid everywhere, or equally invalid everywhere. Don't get upset at Kabam for nerfing Sentinels, get better at asking them to buff them back.

As for myself, I did learn how they worked and I did practice against them. In terms of learning how to fight them I did "give them a chance" as you put it. But "giving them a chance" means a very expensive learning curve relative to single player content, and it also means having to deal with the rest of my alliance also having to deal with the increased difficulty, placing additional high stress on coordinating alliance quests. I have no obligation to "give that a chance" because there's zero chance that any of that activity would be remotely beneficial. That's like asking me to give lag a chance. I don't have to perform experiments to determine if lag is a good thing. And I don't have to perform experiments to know if a dramatic jump in difficulty is going to be an overall beneficial experience to my alliance as a whole.

As I repeatedly stated, introducing higher levels of difficulty in the single player game is a different story. My sole criteria for judging that difficulty is whether it is a reasonable addition to the game relative to the content and rewards being added whether I can personally surpass that difficulty or not. I don't have to stomp all over it to think it is a good addition to the game. But introducing that difficulty suddenly into alliance events is a completely different situation, because every single element of new difficulty that could possibly be enjoyable disappears in an alliance event. I can't easily experiment, I can't reset and try again, I can't easily practice, and I can't simply force my way through without enormously expensive potions. And the penalty for failure isn't just on me, it lands on all the rest of my alliance mates. That sucks any enjoyment that might still exist. And all of that is true whether the Sentinels are easy or difficult for me to defeat. That's completely irrelevant to my overall objections.

We aren't ever going to be able to agree regardless on this. I will always personally feel that they weren't harder, just different. You are going to be opposite. They changed them and the community got what they wanted. It is what it is and nothing i'll ever be able to say will change yours or anyone of the same opinion differently.
    Plus your last post was super long and no one needs to read that much on a mobile gaming forum lol
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    LCv2 wrote: »
    I would say that most of the people arguing that the Sentinels are not that hard, likely don't actually face the difficult ones or are just too damned busy posing as elite players to go find out themselves. An ego trying to impress the masses. If someone honestly feels they are similar, yet Kabam is changing them to lessen the difficulty, then that must make these "players" eat some nice tasting crow. Clearly, the difficulty increase is there, otherwise Kabam wouldn't be changing anything...thus disproving the entire argument of "they aren't that difficult, it's just that you suck and I don't" standard gamer ego.

My path assignment on Map 5 is the science path in stage 1, the immunity/skill path in stage 2, and due to timing I have to be prepared to run literally any path in stage 3, but it is often the power gain/mystic path. That was doable prior to the Sentinel addition, although it wasn't easy. With the Sentinels, it is practically impossible for me to consistently do all of that without spending units at least half the time. If that's supposed to be easy to do, well then I clearly suck at the game, but that just means my advocacy gets to shift to looking out for the players like me that suck. I'm perfectly fine with that. The notion that anyone could embarrass me into silence by claiming that every player that opposes the change must suck is neutralized by the fact that this would only work on someone with insufficiently resilient self-esteem.

It feels like you’re helping prove my point. There was no uproar for ultron drones because there was no difficulty change. There is an uproar for sentinels because there is a substantial difficulty change.

I'm conceding the point to you for the simple fact that there isn't any point in arguing about it any more. One of the biggest complaints was they are bleed and poison immune and everyone wants RDTs for x-23 and wolverine because of that. The ultron drones were exactly that and that's the point i was trying to get across. i honestly don't remember much about their abilities so i won't comment on them. Kabam is nerfing them, i don't agree, but it doesn't matter now.
    Lets just get back to hating on RDT's posts.
    Plus your last post was super long and no one needs to read that much on a mobile gaming forum lol

I personally feel that post wasn't super long, it is just my style of writing is different. :)

I personally feel that post wasn't super long, it is just my style of writing is different. :)

Wait... does it make it harder to read?

Are you reading it on a smartphone? You could try reading it on a 32" monitor. At 3840x2160 it just about fits on one screen. You might have to buy a few and see which one works best for you.

If you still can't read it in one try I might be persuaded to make the next one 10% shorter and have 15% fewer punctuation marks.

Are you reading it on a smartphone? You could try reading it on a 32" monitor. At 3840x2160 it just about fits on one screen. You might have to buy a few and see which one works best for you.

If you still can't read it in one try I might be persuaded to make the next one 10% shorter and have 15% fewer punctuation marks.

32" monitor is 3rd party software. I dont wanna get banned.. Er bended.
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    This week's rewards need to be rolled back to the rewards each team scored the last week of playing against symbis, and next week we can go from there. This experiment of theirs was an obvious failure, and the realize there was a detrimental affect on alliances. We should not lose out for their poor testing and making the player base run a live beta with added the mistakes like the extra node no one caught as well as the Morningstar that is much more of a pain than day 5 dormammu even on day 3 first mini.
  • mydnightmydnight Posts: 671 ★★★
    That's really cute. So u nerf Blade vs. AQ sentinels to make it "easier" for us to beat them?

Ya, "minion" and not "villain" sentinels..... thanks for that.
  • BDLHBDLH Posts: 148

We aren't ever going to be able to agree regardless on this. I will always personally feel that they weren't harder, just different. You are going to be opposite. They changed them and the community got what they wanted. It is what it is and nothing i'll ever be able to say will change yours or anyone of the same opinion differently.

All the posters who claim there is no difficulty difference between the old and new AQ despite Kabam finally acknowledging this after weeks of the mods arguing that they were the same difficulty making them basically look like chumps. Why would the company retract all these statements from multiple mods from a thousand thread post arguing back and forth with the players if their conclusion wasn't the same as that of the overwhelming majority of the player base? My first instinct is to just assume all the ppl claiming there is no difficulty change are like the mods making these statements - they either barely play the game and spend more time makng posts, or play at a very low level so it is not so obvious to them. At a low enough map and prestige level probably nothing can feel that hard. All the guys arguing that there is no difficulty change despite the company itself acknowledging all their collected data indicates the opposite, why don't you post your war and AQ scores so we have some idea of what level of progression your opinion is coming from?

Most higher tier players are pushing through just fine but there is a definite difficulty difference and increased number of deaths and items used as confirmed by Kabam. We aren't complaining they are not beatable or not able to adjust to them, we are just stating the obvious which Kabam is finally agreeing to. So now we have the vast majority of the player base stating there is a difficulty difference and the developpers acknowledging such, then a few players claiming the opposite... Something smells fishy...
  • Vincew80Vincew80 Posts: 196 ★★
    @Demonzfyre it really seems like you’re assuming everyone that thinks these changes sucked is just unskilled & wants everything handed to them. That’s simply not the case for many. Sentinels aren’t the least bit of fun. They’re slow, clunky, all have the same moveset & being coupled with the poor mechanics issues right now compounds the problem. There’s no way h*ll anyone actually did testing on aq & thought “yup, this will make it more fun”. It clearly didn’t for most & that’s ignored for some reason. I’ve always been more than capable of taking out each boss on day 1-5 while taking the debuff immune lane & I probably still will unless MS is the mini. Again, that’s not a skill issue.. it’s an issue with there being very few bleed immune power control champs & I haven’t pulled one. It’s just really tough to believe the goal was to make aq enjoyable.
  • Corby11Corby11 Posts: 170
    Just read the changes to sentinels for next AQ, it's good that they have reduced attack and defense stats but I would have liked to see a change in analysis is well to increase the amount of analysis required before they reach their ability, 20 analysis doesn't take long to reach, maybe up it from 20 and 40 to 30 and 60 respectively . The skill sentinel which is by far the hardest of them imo can near wipe out my r3 5* from a blocked sp2 if the sentinel is at 20+ analysis simply from the added after effect of the incinerate on top of the initial damage.

1 other thing, ref sentinels not been hidden on maps after the update. I don't know why they bother hiding anything on the AQ maps cos after day 1 of any changes everyone knows where everything is anyway. The community share the info so hiding any opponents on a map you repeat 5x a week seems kind of redundant idea anyway
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited April 2018
    Pure wrote: »
    And @GroundedWisdom do you have any facts that this was not intentional? Just because they said so?

Does anyone have any facts beyond their official statements? No. Given the fact that they commented shortly after indicating they never intended for a large increase in difficulty and were collecting data, that's a pretty safe conclusion. Everyone seems hung up one comments made that it wasn't harder, but that shows their intention wasn't that it should be, considering the comment was made before it went live. The revisions also support that it wasn't intentional. I see no reason or purpose in arguing that.
  • RodsteinRodstein Posts: 207
    While i like to see that certain people concerbs were taken care of, it would have been nicer if the solution was all around including other issues with a nice bump in rewards, nothing crazy but a increase
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    This is another loss.

Look at what happened with 15.0 AW. 3 or 4 revisions later and it's still broken and diversity still determines wins at the highest levels.

This will not be any different. Same goes for the new AQ season too.
  • HailTheGreat1HailTheGreat1 Posts: 40
    The MCOC business model is implement changes that will generate the most immediate revenue as opposed to sustained longterm growth. New players wont have the champs to "melt Sentinels away". At least with symbiods they had different specials, Sentinels have the same painstakingly annoyingly long specials. Even with the planned adjustment the you dont have to have played it to know the overall fight will probably take double the time they used to because if the Sentinel immunity.

Alliances have to be diverse for AW points but MCOC can be lazy with AQ. AQ should be more about worling as a team and less about a lazy change for players to buy revives/heals for junk rewards.

Glad I stopped spending money on the game early when I saw how MCOC punishes players for their own mistakes. Goodluck to new players who all have champs to "Melt" away Sentinels!
  • IllogicalmindIllogicalmind Posts: 12
    Any info on Bishop's medium combo ending with this update?