**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

$99 offer

geoff78geoff78 Posts: 219 ★★
I know it's being discussed everywhere, that it's kinda a joke to double the price for an offer made six months ago. My question is, was it meant to be a 5* package? I could see that being worth the $100. Probably not, but worth pointing out.

Comments

• DiegoVDiegoV Posts: 39
    Before the nerf the same offer was sold for $ 49.99 ... do not buy this offer
  • GargameshGargamesh Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    I just don't trust this offer...I still remember very well what happend the last time I bought this deal!!!

I wonder if this deal means the next Nerf Hammer is coming ^^
  • geoff78geoff78 Posts: 219 ★★
    I agree @drowsyhero34 . The offer six-seven months ago was half the money, only had 20 sig stones, but 20 stones aren't worth the extra $50. Something strange is going on with these deals. They'll drop a good deal, like that unit daily card, just to follow it with 5+ **** deals
  • FingerPicknGoodFingerPicknGood Posts: 44
    Eh, I've stated this in my ally chat - a lot of deals seem to be targeted solely at new or relatively new players. Anyone pretty experienced probably may money on units just to avoid doing more PvP. But otherwise, if you're pretty high-level, these deals really don't save you that much time. But for new players with some money to burn, well, they can be significant at becoming competitive in ally events.

So, I'd just not try to look too much into their valuation of various game items. If you've been around to remember the last deal like this one, you're probably not the target demo for the deal.

And, I'd *never* expect a truly high level version of these items to appear. Like a 5* awakening gem deal? Really, really unlikely to happen.

I find it interesting, because it feels like an incredibly short-term way of looking at monetizing the game. But then again, "pay to play" is still a pretty new thing in the grand scheme of things.
    Talked to my banker, I can take a morgage on my house when a 5* offer comes around ^^
  • X_ScottX_Scott Posts: 732 ★★★
    I got $99 and Kabam can't have 1
    By the way, haven't spent a single dime since all prices went up an outrageous 10%
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    I find it interesting, because it feels like an incredibly short-term way of looking at monetizing the game. But then again, "pay to play" is still a pretty new thing in the grand scheme of things.

I think people tend to overthink these deals, trying to figure out a way to rationalize under what set of circumstances they would find the deal to be reasonable, like assuming the deal has to be targeted at players who just don't know any better. It is more likely that the deal is targeted explicitly at the demographic it makes sense for on its face: people willing to spend that much money to get that much stuff. It is as simple as that.

I don't think it is a short term way of monetizing the game. There are people buying that deal right now: count on it. Every month that goes by that this kind of deal doesn't happen is money left on the table. People willing to spend $100 on an awakening stone and a bunch of sig stones are untapped revenue if they don't have this deal to buy.

Those players won't all be around forever: every game has churn. And every dollar you get from them while they are here is one dollar less you have to get from the players with less money to spend. If you are only thinking about the short term, it doesn't matter who you squeeze for money, because you don't care if any of those players are around tomorrow. But if you do care about the long term, you will try to spread your revenue collection around your playerbase in a way that generates the most money from the people willing to spend the most, and generates less money from the players willing to spend less. That balance has the best chance of maximizing player retention.

It isn't perfect, there will be people who get upset about the nature of the deals and some of them could quit because of it, or swear off purchasing things in the game. But it probably isn't a bad strategy on its face. That doesn't mean I think every deal is a good idea or makes sense even in this context. Only that in the general case, these *kinds* of offers are not evidence of short term thinking or a lack of understanding of the playerbase. I believe the players who don't like them are explicitly supposed to not like them: they are even *designed* for you to not like them.

It is something to consider. If you don't have this kind of money to burn, it is possible they don't want to even tempt you with them. They don't want people stretching to buy something they shouldn't be buying. Some people will do so no matter what, but by making the value not enticing, they reduce that chance as much as possible. And I'm not ascribing any great moral compass to Kabam either: they want your money, but it is not in their best interests if they bankrupt you. They want you around for a long time spending as much as you can, not spending more than you should until you flame out.
  • BornBorn Posts: 228 ★★
    $160 where I'm from.

Haha y'all must be smoking some good ****!
  • NoobeeusNoobeeus Posts: 332 ★★
    Born wrote: »
    $160 where I'm from.

Haha y'all must be smoking some good ****!

Yep, in no universe is this value for money...
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    edited June 2017
    I agree that it's steep. What I'm not clear on is if that's the intended value and the previous sale at Christmas was a deal or not. My theory is that these Offers are planned well in advance, and they are set for different demographics. Then others are added along the way that have different values. The ones preset don't take into account the extra value offers. That's one theory. Another could be that there is a sort of balancing of Resources that occurs to make sure the game progresses at a specific rate, so they monitor how many good deals are made available. Of course, that's all speculation and I have no idea the reasoning for certain. It is quite pricey.
    Having said that, I never understood why people come to the Forum in drones when there is a deal they don't like. Lol. If I'm walking through Walmart and I see a pack of gum for $20, I don't grab a sign and picket. I laugh and walk away. If we don't like the deal, we don't have to buy it. Lol.
    DefJ123 wrote: »
    I agree that it's steep. What I'm not clear on is if that's the intended value and the previous sale at Christmas was a deal or not. My theory is that these Offers are planned well in advance, and they are set for different demographics. Then others are added along the way that have different values. The ones preset don't take into account the extra value offers. That's one theory. Another could be that there is a sort of balancing of Resources that occurs to make sure the game progresses at a specific rate, so they monitor how many good deals are made available. Of course, that's all speculation and I have no idea the reasoning for certain. It is quite pricey.
    Having said that, I never understood why people come to the Forum in drones when there is a deal they don't like. Lol. If I'm walking through Walmart and I see a pack of gum for $20, I don't grab a sign and picket. I laugh and walk away. If we don't like the deal, we don't have to buy it. Lol.

And miss an opportunity to attack Kabam? Yeah right! Lol

Whatever floats your boat. Alot of wasted negative energy, if you ask me.
    edited June 2017
    Indrick781 wrote: »

With your analogy, if I see a pack of gum at Walmart for $20, I can go to Target and buy it for a different price the same day. In this game, there is no other store to go to and buy the products. I don't have the option of buying an awakening gem for my new Hyperion in another game. I'm grinding for him again because getting to the cutoff is easy for me. We can stop spending on these terrible deals, and most of us don't, but a few do. We post because new players to this game don't know an extremely similar deal was around a few months ago at half the price. We can also tell Kabam that we want reasonably priced deals and not price gouged ****.

It's not our responsibility to tell others how to spend their money. For that matter, if it was on sale 6 months ago, that doesn't change anything right now. You can tell people it was half price at Christmas, but if someone has the money to spare and they really want to Awaken a Champ, they're going to buy it regardless. Choosing not to buy it is up to us. It's not our place to tell other people not to spend. It's their money. I'm not debating that it's expensive for a Gem and some Stones. I'm just saying it's up to other people to judge whether it's worth it for them or not. It all depends on how much they have to spend, and how bad they want the Champ Awakened.
  • TorgoNudhoTorgoNudho Posts: 26
    Ok. I will go out on a limb and say i bought it. Yes it is expensive. Not going to lie. I bought it to awaken my starlord. I got him through the guardian crystals last month - if you can believe - during the starlord arena. Unfortunately my account cannot do 6-7mil arena grind to get me a starlord for free. Also spending units to grind 6-7mil would make me spend more money than this current offer. With this offer plus the 4* generic stone promo last week, i was able to not only awaken starlord but to max his sig ability right away. It's expensive but i missed out on the arena grind and who knows when he'll be back. Also who knows when I'll dupe him when i keep duping winter soldier.
    TorgoNudho wrote: »
    Ok. I will go out on a limb and say i bought it. Yes it is expensive. Not going to lie. I bought it to awaken my starlord. I got him through the guardian crystals last month - if you can believe - during the starlord arena. Unfortunately my account cannot do 6-7mil arena grind to get me a starlord for free. Also spending units to grind 6-7mil would make me spend more money than this current offer. With this offer plus the 4* generic stone promo last week, i was able to not only awaken starlord but to max his sig ability right away. It's expensive but i missed out on the arena grind and who knows when he'll be back. Also who knows when I'll dupe him when i keep duping winter soldier.

No judgment. Are you happy with it?
  • TorgoNudhoTorgoNudho Posts: 26
    No judgment. Are you happy with it?

At first, no. It's $140 here in liberal-infested canuckistan. So that's quite a bit of coin. But after seeing my starlord to max sig ability, let's just say I'm satisfied. Not over the moon. Just satisfied. I missed out on the previous 4* gem offers. Not going to sit here and mope about the previous offers. It's either i pay up or shut up.
  • DarkArrow07DarkArrow07 Posts: 109
    lol, this is never ending. I'm guessing a lot of you are "Feeling the Bern" right?
  • ApacheApache Posts: 558 ★★
    DiegoV wrote: »
    Before the nerf the same offer was sold for $ 49.99 ... do not buy this offer

2a0.jpg