**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Is it time to introduce gear levels

2»

Comments

• RodsteinRodstein Posts: 207
    If that were to happen i would be out of this game so fast
  • Wil6541Wil6541 Posts: 273
    @Blax4ever bb is awesome with royal family syn. Karnak is worth the rank up just for Medusa bosses alone. You can't just ignore sentry upgrade and say no one gets upgraded. T2a are far and few between to use that as justification. No matter what changes are made someone else is best in game. Nerf pb people went to crit team and sw, Nerf sw people moved again then gp is released and is best in game then forgotten for blade. It is the nature of the game if the next champ isn't better than the previous why grind or spend for them. Some basics are still bad ass in the right hands. Some are useless for sure but it truly doesn't matter as aq and aw tie up 11 champs rest really are just arena and syn fodder.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    Couple points. First off, the Champs in question aren't completely useless. That's entirely subjective, and based on where one is at. If they were completely useless, they would do nothing. There are some considered on the lower end, but when the hype for the "God Tier" is so strong, for a select few, it definitely overshadows the rest.
    They are working on improvements. Just not a total overhaul. There are quite a few reasons I could see supporting that, such as the amount of work, sufficient testing, emphasis on new Champs, need vs. want, et al.
    If there were a finite number of Champs in the game and production ceased, I might find more usefulness in the suggestion, simply because there would be nowhere else to go. However, Champs come each month, and balancing does occur, just not at a rate that makes every Champ God Tier.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    @Wil6541 fair point
    Solswerd wrote: »
    Plus, the addition of gear would likely lead to enemy difficulty being scaled up to compensate.

@Solswerd

They have been scaling the difficulty of the game without any change or additions to the META, which is get the Trinity, get Medusa, get Star Lord etc.
    @StavelotXote

All of what you said, but maybe using the word gear isn’t the best choice on my part. Let’s call it enhanced mastery tools instead.
  • The game is unbearably time-consuming as it is, I don't need more carrots to chase after. MCOC needs quality-of-life improvements and gears would make it much worse.

I don’t believe you comprehended what he was saying. At all. Your answer equates to “ why can’t we just have candy all the time”.

@Knightarthus

Ummm nope he’s talking about something else apart from what the rest of us are talking about. Most of the time he’s just commenting to hear himself type or something. I’m thinking you’re pretty much doing the same thing.
    The game is unbearably time-consuming as it is, I don't need more carrots to chase after. MCOC needs quality-of-life improvements and gears would make it much worse.

Kabam has their own philosophy on what’s an reasonable amount of time to spend doing something in this game. 20hrs per week for arena at a minimum, maybe they should change that
  • SolswerdSolswerd Posts: 1,860 ★★★★
    Blax4ever wrote: »
    Plus, the addition of gear would likely lead to enemy difficulty being scaled up to compensate.

@Solswerd

They have been scaling the difficulty of the game without any change or additions to the META, which is get the Trinity, get Medusa, get Star Lord etc.

True enough, but what you are essentially proposing would amount to a roster-wide buff. Sure, if you break it down by teams you could help Beast or OG Iron Man be more useful...but you would also buff many others like a X-23 or Scarlet Witch in that same process...which I do not believe Kabam would do. If they did, it would very likely lead to that difficulty being scaled even higher. Or worse, attaching an additional financial cost to gear or mastery buffs....using the newly escalated difficulty to leverage profits even further.

It is very rare that Kabam strengthens us without a counter effect being put into place. (The recent buffs of Red Hulk and Luke Cage being the only exceptions I can come up with)
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

I don’t believe you comprehended what he was saying. At all. Your answer equates to “ why can’t we just have candy all the time”.

@Knightarthus

Ummm nope he’s talking about something else apart from what the rest of us are talking about. Most of the time he’s just commenting to hear himself type or something. I’m thinking you’re pretty much doing the same thing.

It doesn't appear like anyone else is having the same difficulty you're attempting to attribute to the rest of us.
  • BarogsBarogs Posts: 59
    No. No, no, no, no. Absolutely no gears. It'll destroy the entire system that the game was predicated on, among many many other things
  • AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★
    Aw hell no

@Solswerd

True enough, but what you are essentially proposing would amount to a roster-wide buff. Sure, if you break it down by teams you could help Beast or OG Iron Man be more useful...but you would also buff many others like a X-23 or Scarlet Witch in that same process...which I do not believe Kabam would do. If they did, it would very likely lead to that difficulty being scaled even higher. Or worse, attaching an additional financial cost to gear or mastery buffs....using the newly escalated difficulty to leverage profits even further.

It is very rare that Kabam strengthens us without a counter effect being put into place. (The recent buffs of Red Hulk and Luke Cage being the only exceptions I can come up with)

@Solswerd

You are right, especially judging by Kabam’s history, no way they add anything useful without extracting something significant for it.

• ACIDUCKACIDUCK Posts: 64
    LOL. this guy said gear. wow. how bout dont be lazy and buff some of these champs that need some love... COUGH COUGH CARNAGE
  • You ask for a dollar, they'll take one back from elsewhere. It's how zero-sum game work at best. If we got gears, we'd be spinning our wheels harder while getting the same experience we have now.
  • imaginejimimaginejim Posts: 333 ★★
    Yeah, a similar approach was tried with the Chinese version of the game and it KILLED the game.
  • StavelotXoteStavelotXote Posts: 231
    I think the main thing I have to agree on is buffing so many underperforming champs is incredibly difficult. However introducing gear for all champs, but giving better quality items to those bad champs compared to good-great ones, is an easier fix.

It is a big lazy bandaid, but it could work, and lazy seems to be the de facto approach to error correction in this game.
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★

@Knightarthus

Nope. Knightarthus nailed it.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    I think the main thing I have to agree on is buffing so many underperforming champs is incredibly difficult. However introducing gear for all champs, but giving better quality items to those bad champs compared to good-great ones, is an easier fix.

Imagine waving a magic wand and creating the gear system you describe on paper. Now imagine that I take the abilities described in the gear and just give them to the champions. QED: gear cannot be easier than direct balancing, because the gear system must deal with many different possibilities (all the possible combinations of having and not having the gear), while just giving those abilities to the champions directly only has to deal with one (the one where all the champions are basically maximally gear-enhanced).

There's only one way that gear can appear to be "easier" than direct balancing and it is a situation players can't see. That's the case where among the developers there is no agreement on how to balance the champs but everyone is in agreement to toss balance aside and essentially start over with a new environment that includes gear. It won't be any better balanced, it will just be the case that everyone wants to work on gear no matter how poorly it is balanced.

• HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    I’m all for gear (or as it was called Items in Kabam’s 12.0 message about them). Any new dynamic to the game, any new progression path is a step in the right direction. Kabam has introduced 6*s, new AW seasons, new event quest and side quests, new AQ iteration coming soon, but nothing significant has really “changed”. It’s all the same really - buy crystals for new champs or grind for them in arena or wait until they are put into basic crystals. Get the newly released strong champion to compete for more shards to get more champions. Gear would hopefully add new dynamic to the whole progression system.

Now I have no idea how gear could be implemented or what it would look like. That’s up to game devs to decide. I hope it’s not behind a P2W wall or too overpowered where they become necessary in the meta. But any new game changing update to add new thought and decision making in this game - I’m all for that.
    @Hulksmasshh

Yeah, the META to the game is too narrow and adding something to expand the META is called for at this point in its evolution.

I wish they would think a little bit more about breaking out of the grind for every thing in the game and shift more to long term and strategic building for special events.
  • CodornasCodornas Posts: 542 ★★
    No, its not

Ps: i thought u would elaborate more, but u just think its time because u want it
    @Codornas

If you read the thread you will see people giving their opinions both for and against. I didn’t make the thread to argue in circles over what I want but I asked a question. Just skip past the regular thread trolls and feel free to add any thoughts you may have on the subject.
  • SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★
    Gear has been in the game for months now actually but they played it smart. These new champs with these new Synergies are what I personally would consider gear. You want your Winter Soldier to be better? Attach a whole other champ to his leg and you're good. Want OML's heal to actually be good? No problem fam, here's a Sabortooth for you then.

I personally feel as tho they really wanted Gear to be these Synergies they added to the game starting last year but re revolted so they had to change plans.
    @Saiyan

I agree the synergies have helped make some of the older champs a little better and I’m sure if Kabam put a little more thought into them and made a few changes to the game, the synergies/ gear would be game changing. Good post
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    The problem with this, as with any game, is that over time, many characters feel the same on a fundamental level.

For example: Just a few days ago, I ran some tests on two characters: Black Panther (Civil War) and Taskmaster. Made it so neither had any synergies, anything extra. Both were 3/30.

Their damage was basically identical on basic attacks, even when those attacks brought crits.

I have said this before: I get it. It's a game, and I understand that far more often than not, a 3/30 Hawkeye has to hit as hard as a 3/30 Iron Man and a 3/30 Rogue. I get it. I understand it.

But with 100-plus characters...man. It's no surprise to me that people go absolutely berserk over characters with lots of utility and scalable DPS, because my gosh, people know on a fundamental level when a lot of characters feel the same.

I don't know if gear would fix that. Not sure I want to grind for it.

But I do know that I tend to play the most characters whose damage or utility scales, like with persistent charges, more than characters who don't
  • If gears are introduced i am outta here