**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Needing some answers from kabam.

Right so I have sent a query to kabam over this. And haven’t had an answer to satisfy myself. I have spoken to people about this and they agree with me.

This new GDPR consent is seeming to be forced on us and we have no option to say yes.

Now for the actual information it is requesting..

States device information..

If I agree this consent am I agreeing that I am giving you permission to see I am an Apple/Android user?..
Or is this going to give you authorisation to see my IMEI, Serial number, model number, and any other information linked to my device/devices.

Is agreeing to the consent confirming about location details about active tracking? (Location) would your consent agreement give you permission to be able to see exactly where I am when I am accessing the game? As location can be turned off and is also totally irrelevant to the game.

The way you have worded this you are not confirming what will be done with this information either..

You have stated that this information won’t be shared/sold for “any other reason unrelated to these activities” which does not confirm that you will not share/sell this information, seems like your team have found a clever way to introduce a loophole for you to do this.

I love this game but you also have i understand that people understand they have a legal right to know this information you are attempting to request and people value their privacy especially when this information has absolutely nothing to do with game functionality.

The game data that you need to use to keep the game in working order(which understandably it is not right now.. but we as customers understand it can’t be perfect all the time but you are working on it) that game data is not part of this consent statement as you get this information regardless we like it or not. As it is used on your servers we don’t have a say on that. But we do however have the right to say NO to you accessing information that has no relevance to the game.

I want clarification on all of the specific information that you as a company are requesting to take. I do NOT want a (this may include email address etc.) I want specifics of what exact information you are requesting for future use of the game..

• what device information specifically are you requesting
•what location information are you requesting to take

Comments

• DestinyRydahDestinyRydah Posts: 1
    Dear Kashscam,
    I too would like a transparent explanation on this situation and would like to see a clear written response none of this copy and paste **** that your well known for whenever a member has a query they'd like answered.

As this game has gone on through the ages it seems as if all your interested in is driving away the community from your game.
    Monitoring our location access, device type that logs in, where it was logged in at and time of said log this is against all morals and against the consumer rights and as paying customers we are entitled to know exactly what info you are gaining and where u plan to use or disclose this information and to which parties will it be accessed by?
    By our rights we can make this a lawsuit if u wish and trust me when I say the playing community will rally together to make this happen and see u go down for not being clear about your intentions with the information ur gathering.
  • Suyash99Suyash99 Posts: 1
    As a guy who wants privacy, I'd definitely like a clear cut response that tries to address the issue that the original poster of the message has taken up.
  • FlavioH95FlavioH95 Posts: 16
    Hell yeah I want to know what’s happening with my info and I’d like the option for it to not be tired and sold tbh
  • JDogLoves46JDogLoves46 Posts: 13
    What i dont get is why Kabam “needs” this consent. Please explain Kabam. From my perspective i think you have a huge mis-understanding of what GDPR requires and its implications. Under GDPR you need NO CONSENT to be able to hold ANY info on your customers. What the consent is giving is very specific, it is consent that you may use that info to market directly to the individual. SO HOW DOES NOT HAVING CONSENT TO MARKET DIRECTLY TO A PERSON STOP THE GAME FROM WORKING?

This NEEDS explaining!!!!

Either you have been hugely mis-informed about the scope of GDPR or you are forcing consent to market to a person by wrapping it up in excuses that you need the consent to run the game. You dont!!! That is simply not true.
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    This isn't a legal forum. Kabam has a phone number. Call them.
  • ILovePoniesILovePonies Posts: 158
    MarzGroove wrote: »

We don’t need a phone call, we are entitled to know legally what information we are giving consent to, and also need to know why personal and device data has to be included. A phone call does not give written evidence on absolutely anything
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★

We don’t need a phone call, we are entitled to know legally what information we are giving consent to, and also need to know why personal and device data has to be included. A phone call does not give written evidence on absolutely anything

I understand you may be nervous about talking to a person in real time, but I suggest you try it.

I understand you may be nervous about talking to a person in real time, but I suggest you try it.

If you can tell me.. if things like this should be dealt with via a phone call.. what is the actual point in this website?
  • Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★

If you can tell me.. if things like this should be dealt with via a phone call.. what is the actual point in this website?

This forum is a platform kabam hosts for players to talk about the game amongst themselves
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    Still seems like the best way to avoid that daunting lawsuit is to stop offering services in the affected areas. Careful what you wish for.
    Batman05 wrote: »

This forum is a platform kabam hosts for players to talk about the game amongst themselves

And tell me how thisbis not game related?

• GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945 ★★★
    Are you guys serious? I’m getting privacy accepting emails from stuff I haven’t used in 10+ years and it’s all the same. I either accept or I lose acces to my account.

I love it, I got a few emails about games I’d forgotten about. I accepted a few, but not all. I like marvel, I want to play it, there is no info I mind them having at all. I didn’t even read what they wanted, they can have it all. I do nothing wrong apart from maybe crossing the street when the light is red. There’s nothing I do that Kabam (or anyone) can possibly use against me. Although my youtube history... maybe I’d like that to stay private.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    What i dont get is why Kabam “needs” this consent. Please explain Kabam. From my perspective i think you have a huge mis-understanding of what GDPR requires and its implications. Under GDPR you need NO CONSENT to be able to hold ANY info on your customers. What the consent is giving is very specific, it is consent that you may use that info to market directly to the individual. SO HOW DOES NOT HAVING CONSENT TO MARKET DIRECTLY TO A PERSON STOP THE GAME FROM WORKING?

This NEEDS explaining!!!!

Either you have been hugely mis-informed about the scope of GDPR or you are forcing consent to market to a person by wrapping it up in excuses that you need the consent to run the game. You dont!!! That is simply not true.

You are in error. The GDPR requires explicit consent in a number of different circumstances. Article 22 specifies that:

"The data subject shall have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning him or her or similarly significantly affects him or her."

As Kabam operates a mobile game that almost certainly performs automatic processing of player profile data which could affect that player, such as analyzing game play for cheating, a reasonable interpretation of the GDPR is that Kabam must gain explicit consent to perform that processing under Article 22, section 2, part c:
    Paragraph 1 shall not apply if the decision:
    (a) is necessary for entering into, or performance of, a contract between the data subject and a data controller;
    (b) is authorised by Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject and which also lays down suitable measures to safeguard the data subject’s rights and freedoms and legitimate interests; or
    (c) is based on the data subject’s explicit consent.
    (emphasis mine)

Furthermore, given the potential penalties associated with violating the GDPR, the *safe* interpretation is to obtain consent in any circumstance where consent *might* be required, as there is no penalty under the GDPR for requesting consent where consent is not legally mandatory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724 ★★★★
    Right so I have sent a query to kabam over this. And haven’t had an answer to satisfy myself. I have spoken to people about this and they agree with me.

This new GDPR consent is seeming to be forced on us and we have no option to say yes.

Now for the actual information it is requesting..

States device information..

If I agree this consent am I agreeing that I am giving you permission to see I am an Apple/Android user?..
    Or is this going to give you authorisation to see my IMEI, Serial number, model number, and any other information linked to my device/devices.

Is agreeing to the consent confirming about location details about active tracking? (Location) would your consent agreement give you permission to be able to see exactly where I am when I am accessing the game? As location can be turned off and is also totally irrelevant to the game.

The way you have worded this you are not confirming what will be done with this information either..

You have stated that this information won’t be shared/sold for “any other reason unrelated to these activities” which does not confirm that you will not share/sell this information, seems like your team have found a clever way to introduce a loophole for you to do this.

I love this game but you also have i understand that people understand they have a legal right to know this information you are attempting to request and people value their privacy especially when this information has absolutely nothing to do with game functionality.

The game data that you need to use to keep the game in working order(which understandably it is not right now.. but we as customers understand it can’t be perfect all the time but you are working on it) that game data is not part of this consent statement as you get this information regardless we like it or not. As it is used on your servers we don’t have a say on that. But we do however have the right to say NO to you accessing information that has no relevance to the game.

I want clarification on all of the specific information that you as a company are requesting to take. I do NOT want a (this may include email address etc.) I want specifics of what exact information you are requesting for future use of the game..

• what device information specifically are you requesting
    •what location information are you requesting to take

Hey there,

I can understand why you would have concerns regarding your personal data. Miike and the rest of my team have already addressed this in a few other threads, but I'm going to take a moment to go a bit deeper here. Technology and gaming companies around the world are facing these questions and some confusion, with the recent GDPR regulations that have been put into place. I think we can put some of your concerns to rest here.

First - we don’t collect information on our players that we don’t need in order to run The Contest. Information that we collect and need in order to run The Contest:
    • Your email address (You can play without providing this, but need to share it if you register for a Kabam account, so your progress can be saved if you accidentally log out and if you change devices or switch from iOS to Android/vice versa)
    • The platform you play on, Android or iOS (this dictates what platform your payments for purchases go through, which platform you download the game on, and helps us identify platform specific bugs, crashes, or other issues)
    • Your Game Center/Google Play account ID (For platform game achievements)
    • What model of phone you have (based on the model of phone you have we change the graphical settings to improve gameplay performance. It also helps us to track down and reproduce issues)
    • What operating system you use on your phone (helps us identify that you are using an updated enough version of your phone’s software that we support the game on, as well as with QA issues)
    • Device specifications (we use this information to ensure we are not serving players on lower end devices with the highest resolution possible, and to ensure that we are providing the right resolution for your device’s screen size)
    • Your IP address (helps us identify geographical location information, for things like lag or ISP related technical issues, among other things. Also allows us to track activity surrounding cheating or harassment in the game as another example)
    • The country you have selected in your app store (allows us to determine language info, as well as location for regional specific offers, can be taken into consideration for regional specific regulations we have to follow, GDPR being a good example of one)
    • In-game activities (‘behaviour’) such as quest completion, which game modes you play in, what alliance you belong to, your fight data - ie which champion you use against certain in-game bosses, which champions you take into AQ or AW, how long it takes you to complete quest content. (this data allows us to maintain progress in your account, and is information that we analyze as a company to see if certain Champions have high or low win rates and need to be nerfed or buffed, or if there is perhaps a bug with a specific Champion’s behaviour. We also use info like this to determine if we’ve made a Quest too difficult or too easy. When we tell players we are analyzing both player feedback and in-game data before making a decision to change something, this is some of what we are referring to)

Something we do not ask for access to, is ‘location services’. I think this is what you’re getting at when you mention 'active tracking'. We don’t ask for nor track this stuff. We cannot as an example, see ‘Such and such player is on X block of Y street, in Z city’)

We don’t have your IMEI or phone Serial #, GPS, Other data stored on your phone, nor do we ask for this info.

In reference to Third Parties, and us sharing your data with them, when we say “sharing” the above types of data for the purpose of the described activities: i.e. providing access to the game, administering user accounts, analyzing game play, improving the game, personalizing game play experience, and providing technical support as processing activities, we mean using third party technology service providers like cloud hosting - but only we have access to the data. What we don’t do is sell your data to other parties to like email lists or other unrelated people to sell you stuff.

All of the information that we request is required for us to run MCOC, we don’t ask for anything we don’t need.

And you are 100% right that as a consumer you have full rights to decide what you want to do here. Like most companies providing a service, if the information we need in order for MCOC to function is not available to us, the services won’t work.

Hopefully this clears things up - if you have more specific requests regarding your information, please reach out to our support team.

~ A
This discussion has been closed.