**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Fox acquisition by comcast changes to mcoc

So, if I'm correct, Disney/Marvel had planned on buying 21st Century Fox and thus obtaining the rights for characters for Fantastic Four, however if you have been paying attention Comcast just recently tried to outdo Disney's offer. If Comcast is successful I'm assuming MCU won't get the rights for F4. Many have been speculating with the updated upcoming character web that the F4 was coming to mcoc. Do you think that these plans will be scrapped?

Comments

• ShadeZeroShadeZero Posts: 145
    Side note, my guess for that web is galactus is the large portrait which is connected silver surfer and then branched off to the F4 and dr doom
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    I don't think it will be the F4 way to many slots to work. What i think its gonna be is something like the Big Box is a playable character and all the other ones will be NPC minion enemies like Ultron Drones, The Modok Swapped champs, Sentineloids, etc.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,860 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    ShadeZero wrote: »
    So, if I'm correct, Disney/Marvel had planned on buying 21st Century Fox and thus obtaining the rights for characters for Fantastic Four, however if you have been paying attention Comcast just recently tried to outdo Disney's offer. If Comcast is successful I'm assuming MCU won't get the rights for F4. Many have been speculating with the updated upcoming character web that the F4 was coming to mcoc. Do you think that these plans will be scrapped?

Neither the Disney offer nor the Comcat offer have a direct impact on MCOC. MCOC licenses Marvel characters from Marvel Entertainment (a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney) and Marvel Entertainment has the right to license essentially all of their characters for games.

Fox has distribution rights to make movies based on some of the Marvel properties: FF and the X-Men (and related) in particular. That doesn't affect gaming rights, as evidenced by the fact that MCOC had no difficulty putting actual X-Men into the game from the start, and even recently added Sabertooth. I cannot see any reason why who has what movie rights would affect MCOC in any particular way. Remember: whether Disney owns Fox or Comcast owns Fox, in neither case does that actually affect what rights Marvel Entertainment itself has.

The fact that MCOC has Deadpool cross marketing to coincide with the Deadpool movies which are Fox produced suggests that Marvel has no problems with allowing MCOC to use characters that are featured in movies not produced by Marvel Studios or Disney. It is all ultimately good for the Marvel IP, which Marvel Entertainment has a self-interest to promote.

I believe that with the FF4 it has more to do with the cancellation of the comics and how bad Fox has done with the movies. They are bringing them back in comics in august so there might be a chance to see them in the game after all. This possibly sheds some light on the topic-
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/05/jonathan-hickman-confirms-marvel-cancelled-fantastic-four-fox/

FF4 is my all time favorite characters. I hope with the re-emergence of their comic series they will have an opportunity to come to MCOC.
  • Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★

Neither the Disney offer nor the Comcat offer have a direct impact on MCOC. MCOC licenses Marvel characters from Marvel Entertainment (a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney) and Marvel Entertainment has the right to license essentially all of their characters for games.

Fox has distribution rights to make movies based on some of the Marvel properties: FF and the X-Men (and related) in particular. That doesn't affect gaming rights, as evidenced by the fact that MCOC had no difficulty putting actual X-Men into the game from the start, and even recently added Sabertooth. I cannot see any reason why who has what movie rights would affect MCOC in any particular way. Remember: whether Disney owns Fox or Comcast owns Fox, in neither case does that actually affect what rights Marvel Entertainment itself has.

The fact that MCOC has Deadpool cross marketing to coincide with the Deadpool movies which are Fox produced suggests that Marvel has no problems with allowing MCOC to use characters that are featured in movies not produced by Marvel Studios or Disney. It is all ultimately good for the Marvel IP, which Marvel Entertainment has a self-interest to promote.

whilst they are allowed to i mean we see even more champs in FF (if you have ever played that **** game)..
    they tend to not want to support and advertise many characters outside of the marvel studios ones.
    some big names like the Xmen and Spiderman need to be done but they do seem much less likey to promote and use characters that they do not have movie license for.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Maat1985 wrote: »

whilst they are allowed to i mean we see even more champs in FF (if you have ever played that **** game)..
    they tend to not want to support and advertise many characters outside of the marvel studios ones.
    some big names like the Xmen and Spiderman need to be done but they do seem much less likey to promote and use characters that they do not have movie license for.

I don't see that pattern. They must have planned cross marketing for the original Deadpool movie before anyone knew it would be a hit, and Deadpool was a marginal comic book character outside of a small number of die hard fans prior to the first movie.

If there is a pattern at all, it is that MCOC tries to try to tie many of their character adds to upcoming movies, and Marvel Studios has released far more Marvel IP movies than any other studio. Since MCOC's release, the only movies released not under Marvel Studios has been FF, Deadpool (1 and 2), X-Men Apocalypse, and Logan. The Fantastic Four seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Outside of newly released movies, MCOC added many characters that Marvel Studios does not have the rights to. Sabertooth and the Sentinels, for example.

But I have to reiterate something. In real terms, Marvel Entertainment doesn't really have the "movie license" to *any* Marvel characters. As a result of some Hollywood power plays, Disney basically took Marvel Studios away from Marvel Entertainment and gave it to Walt Disney Studios. As a result, Kevin Feige became the president of Marvel Studios and he reports to exactly no one at Marvel Entertainment. He reports to Alan Horn, head of Walt Disney Studios, who reports to Bob Iger, the head of Disney. In real terms, Feige has full control over the MCU, and Marvel Entertainment's "movie rights" exist on paper only.

Prior to 2015 there were a lot of rumors about Marvel Entertainment, aka Ike Perlmutter (Marvel CEO) doing things like what you mention: doing things designed to promote IP they had full control over and hurting IP they had licensed out to others. Since 2015, those rumors seem to have largely dissipated since Marvel no longer wields any control over the movies.
  • Epsilon3Epsilon3 Posts: 1,138 ★★★
    I don't think it will be the F4 way to many slots to work. What i think its gonna be is something like the Big Box is a playable character and all the other ones will be NPC minion enemies like Ultron Drones, The Modok Swapped champs, Sentineloids, etc.

It’s entirely possible for the big box to be Galactus

Add the F4
    Super Skrull
    Doc Doom
    Silver surfer

And 2 heralds
  • Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    Maat1985 wrote: »

I don't see that pattern. They must have planned cross marketing for the original Deadpool movie before anyone knew it would be a hit, and Deadpool was a marginal comic book character outside of a small number of die hard fans prior to the first movie.

If there is a pattern at all, it is that MCOC tries to try to tie many of their character adds to upcoming movies, and Marvel Studios has released far more Marvel IP movies than any other studio. Since MCOC's release, the only movies released not under Marvel Studios has been FF, Deadpool (1 and 2), X-Men Apocalypse, and Logan. The Fantastic Four seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Outside of newly released movies, MCOC added many characters that Marvel Studios does not have the rights to. Sabertooth and the Sentinels, for example.

But I have to reiterate something. In real terms, Marvel Entertainment doesn't really have the "movie license" to *any* Marvel characters. As a result of some Hollywood power plays, Disney basically took Marvel Studios away from Marvel Entertainment and gave it to Walt Disney Studios. As a result, Kevin Feige became the president of Marvel Studios and he reports to exactly no one at Marvel Entertainment. He reports to Alan Horn, head of Walt Disney Studios, who reports to Bob Iger, the head of Disney. In real terms, Feige has full control over the MCU, and Marvel Entertainment's "movie rights" exist on paper only.

Prior to 2015 there were a lot of rumors about Marvel Entertainment, aka Ike Perlmutter (Marvel CEO) doing things like what you mention: doing things designed to promote IP they had full control over and hurting IP they had licensed out to others. Since 2015, those rumors seem to have largely dissipated since Marvel no longer wields any control over the movies.

not gunna comment to much of what you say here.... csu it really is all conjecture and not gunna go back and forward.....
    i agree they have license for all it is just a matter of wat they wanna do......
    but deadpool would have been hyped since xmen origins wolverine and the end credit scene......
  • Rogue42Rogue42 Posts: 1,006 ★★★
    She doesn’t talk video games much, but Grace over at Beyond the Trailer will talk movie business to you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SKih7LlKjeA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JetYCr0IEM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-Pm_rOtJA
  • Sirnoob2Sirnoob2 Posts: 289 ★★
    from what the devs over at msf said in a Interview marvel still seems liked there refusing to let the f4 go into games

that was only a few months ago as well so I doubt mcoc managed to get marvel to let them use them

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Based on the twitter replies mcoc put out in response to releasing the character map I would drop specualtion about F4.

19yswujlgibo.jpeg
    mravfolo00dl.jpeg
    b2wbk8gvfelu.jpeg
    9oljj8cse728.jpeg
    09xywrjvq2s4.jpeg
    vntm9wvpdzpb.jpeg
    3d0fim0jinsj.jpeg
  • Oroku_SakiOroku_Saki Posts: 167
    Who needs the FF or other Marvel characters when they can use those slots to sometimes just make up random characters for the game? It's the best!