**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

No more identity in MCOC.

RiegelRiegel Posts: 1,088 ★★★★
The level of competitiveness added to MCOC with the addition on AW Seasons has been great, but it has also taken a lot away from the game.

Much of the stuff is actively being worked on and improved and Kabam has said they are working on their communication with us the community as well. This is all good.

However, now we are at a point where everyone is changing their names to lllllllllll this is great strategy, but it removes all identity from the game, and is super lame IMO. When I was coming up in this game BrutalDLX was the guy. In other games there was always that legend in the game that I wanted to surpass. Now I'm looking up to lllllllllll, but there are 100's of lllllllllll's IDK who I am even talking to anymore.

Many alliances are making this a requirement to join as it makes it harder for the opposing team to know who they are fighting. I do agree that this is great strategy, but the anonymity it is creating is very lame.

I'm in an alliance war where someone is talking to me, but IDK who it is. They have to tell me "hey it's such and such" and then I only know who it is till the next lllllllllll with a blade portrait starts talking to someone else "hey it's so and so."

Great strategy, but super lame.

Comments

• 13_Dub13_Dub Posts: 28
    They need to hide player names and + / - so alliances have a harder time making deals
  • RiegelRiegel Posts: 1,088 ★★★★
    Player1994 wrote: »
    bro wtf just click on your deffence and you have all the attaquers profil in front of you who cares if someone 's name is edfsjdsfgùjdfgjsgkfj or fslkgsdlksdlkfslkdf let it be it's their choices .. i dont like it too but it's their right to make it whatever they want
    speaking of alliances who do from this a requirement i doubt it if they really exist ( they are stupid)

That's fine, but it solves nothing.
    Yes, they can do as they want, but it's still lame.
    Also, alliances making this mandatory do exist and are not stupid.
  • GabbrosGabbros Posts: 157
    Can anyone elaborate on why this is an issue? I am not able to understand
    It is an issue because when most or all of the members have identical looking name, it becomes very difficult to guess placement whether its via checking profiles and placement or past war placement data you been keeping track. This is a good strategy yet it is one that is based on an exploit of the namechanging system imo and one that give an unfair competitive advantage which is no good for the sportsmanship of the contest.
    Player1994 wrote: »
    bro wtf just click on your deffence and you have all the attaquers profil in front of you who cares if someone 's name is edfsjdsfgùjdfgjsgkfj or fslkgsdlksdlkfslkdf let it be it's their choices .. i dont like it too but it's their right to make it whatever they want
    speaking of alliances who do from this a requirement i doubt it if they really exist ( they are stupid)
    It is a problem when everyone do it. Check season2 #1 winner alliance.
  • OnlyOneAboveAllOnlyOneAboveAll Posts: 387 ★★
    The best solution to this is to make rank up materials far more obtainable. I for one have had the same profile for who knows how long. Sure I max out plenty of 4stars and take plenty of 5stars to rank 3 but with taking a 5star to rank 4 or 5 being an important decision most wait til they have the right champ. I have 2 rank 4 5stars and 2 6stars on profile anyday now. And I'm sitting on 8 t2 alphas and almost 2 t5b. So someone can already tell that my 6star Sentinel in most likely in Defense. This sucks. Top alliances have many so I can see why they keep track. Nothing you can really do unless you can easily obtain 20 or more maxed out 5stars or obtain and rank up 6stars more quickly. Never understood why Kabam keeps us at certain levels but It definitely wouldn't "unbalance" the game. Would probably even the playing field.
    edited July 2018
    Toukolou wrote: »
    How about just showing a single, top champ for player profiles. Easier change than hiding all names in aw, and such.
    I never understood the big “need” of showing our top champs. Would b a lot better if we can customize our profile pic and avatar to a champion of our choice.

• HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    Toukolou wrote: »
    How about just showing a single, top champ for player profiles. Easier change than hiding all names in aw, and such.

It's not about hiding the visible profile where you can see a player's top 4 champs. Alliances have that information already written down on an excel sheet or whatever method to keep track of every player's champions. It's how the best way to play this game is for you and your whole alliance to chance your name to barcode IIIIIllll names to hide that information from opponents.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Update the font or display defenders names in all caps, bam bobs your uncle.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 777 ★★★
    So basically big alliances only find way to cheats, wanna know everything about their opponents but try hard to hide everything to their opponents, wanna fix matchups, piloting, don't like competition, but if you ask them they only talk about their so called skill. The real question is: why are they still playing?
  • For_SpetzFor_Spetz Posts: 51
    If Kabam decides to hide IGN on defenders in alliance war this would probably solve the issue, but lets not go and make silly mickey mouse excuses like “identity”

If some players want to remain
    anonymous in game that is entirely their choice and permissible by Kabam.

Some argue and say Barcoding provided a competitive advantage, maybe true but recording and spreadsheeting defenses and sharing them amongst other alliances is just as foul.
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 407 ★★
    I would agree with others that hiding the name is way to go. Alliance can still keep notes about what defenders were placed where for a given alliance and use that to give them informed guesses in future -> this is an advantage I think that should stay since takes effort and isn't guaranteed. Bar code names I find funny for at least with those I don't even bother to look up and I more focus on class versus say Chinese characters where it can be annoying at times looking those up.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    One of the complications I see with this is it makes it harder to identify people who seem to be cheating. Not that I want to feed the paranoia. As much as I agree with a need to be vigilant, I also feel that the amount of "Cheating Fever" has become quite paramount, to the point of people being more focused on the behaviour of others, rather than enjoying Seasons. Nevertheless, I see the real issue with being identity-hidden as removing accountability in the event that someone is actually cheating.
  • BapoiBapoi Posts: 995 ★★★
    GW raises a good point (this day started weird). Let’s say I’m facing a so-called barcode alliance. I suspect they are modding or let’s say I suspect them of piloting. I collect my screenshots and my screen recording of the alleged offence and I send them into kabam.

Kabam’s cheat-finding team look at it and go “Ah, the player with the Blade called IIlIllllll starts moving and then the other player with the blade called lIlIllIl starts moving just after. Meanwhile, this player, IllllIIIl here with a blade took down a miniboss in 3 seconds flat.”

Who do they ban? Who do they investigate?

Now, I’m not saying they don’t have ingame data to support anything without the need for just seeing what’s happening. But if these screenshots I send in are needed to launch the investigation and the team sees an entire alliance of IIllIllIIll’s and blade profiles it’s hard to distinguish between them, who’s to say they get the right one, every time.

If they had a unique name, they only have to investigate that one account. These barcode names are multiplying their work load by 30, since they’d have to investigate each account in case that one was the one in the screenshot. That’s assuming they even would.

Having not read the first, but your reply to it, there shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Kabam holds more than the players’ names. Login credentials, IP’s, device IDs. There is a plethora of information on players other than their barcoded names.

Aside from that, and forgive me for being too lazy to look it up, I seem to recall a statement by Kabam where screenshots and/or chat screenshots are not valid evidence, as they can be easily manipulated. Sure, something is better than nothing to send along, but screenshots are circumstantial at best.

They mine their own data for any evidence. There is no real issue with these names, other than it being a petty move in my opinion.
    As others stated, get rid of the names altogether. Keep them visible for your own internal alliance ‘measuring contests’ if that’s what gets an alliance all warm and tingly, but remove names for the attacking party...
    There is also an issue with well known pilots and cheaters making it into your alliance now that they cannot be identified. I made a post asking that anyone caught cheating should not be able to request name changes a while back, but now all the cheaters are named llllllllll haha.

IDC about the barcode names. If you want to do that fine, but this could be easily handled by a game update. Remove the defenders name until you fight that defender.
  • ClintBeastwoodClintBeastwood Posts: 78
    edited July 2018
    RedBaron99 wrote: »
    This happens in all games/sports/conflicts; the organisers, administrators and protagonists write the 'rules', after which the participants, players and combatants find creative ways of increasing their chances of winning with those 'rules' in mind.

If you have a look at the top 10-15 alliances, each one has performed some sort of tactic in an effort to increase their odds of winning outside of just playing the game and winning based off skill. These range from organized chats coordinating search times (which, to us in low master and high plat 1 is extremely comical because we match up with these top guys), bar code names, pilots, unit fraud, bribery, etc. Clearly all of these aren't on the same level (a lot of these I personally wouldn't even considering cheating), but tying this back into the concept of identity, its ironic how seasons has shown that each and every top alliance can not just play the game and win. They need some other competitive advantage.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Bapoi wrote: »
    GW raises a good point (this day started weird). Let’s say I’m facing a so-called barcode alliance. I suspect they are modding or let’s say I suspect them of piloting. I collect my screenshots and my screen recording of the alleged offence and I send them into kabam.

Kabam’s cheat-finding team look at it and go “Ah, the player with the Blade called IIlIllllll starts moving and then the other player with the blade called lIlIllIl starts moving just after. Meanwhile, this player, IllllIIIl here with a blade took down a miniboss in 3 seconds flat.”

Who do they ban? Who do they investigate?

Now, I’m not saying they don’t have ingame data to support anything without the need for just seeing what’s happening. But if these screenshots I send in are needed to launch the investigation and the team sees an entire alliance of IIllIllIIll’s and blade profiles it’s hard to distinguish between them, who’s to say they get the right one, every time.

If they had a unique name, they only have to investigate that one account. These barcode names are multiplying their work load by 30, since they’d have to investigate each account in case that one was the one in the screenshot. That’s assuming they even would.

Having not read the first, but your reply to it, there shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Kabam holds more than the players’ names. Login credentials, IP’s, device IDs. There is a plethora of information on players other than their barcoded names.

Aside from that, and forgive me for being too lazy to look it up, I seem to recall a statement by Kabam where screenshots and/or chat screenshots are not valid evidence, as they can be easily manipulated. Sure, something is better than nothing to send along, but screenshots are circumstantial at best.

They mine their own data for any evidence. There is no real issue with these names, other than it being a petty move in my opinion.
    As others stated, get rid of the names altogether. Keep them visible for your own internal alliance ‘measuring contests’ if that’s what gets an alliance all warm and tingly, but remove names for the attacking party...

I’m not disputing that they have more than player names, if you read my message I even say that, but as to where to start; If they only have a barcoded name and an alliance to go by. That’s already 30 people they have to investigate.

In regards to screenshots, I believe that statement was more about LINE app conversation screenshots because they are easy to fake. I guess screenshots not being evidence sort of applies to ingame ones as well, but not because they’re as easily faked,but because they don’t really show much. You can’t show a suspected modded takedown of a miniboss on a screenshot because you can’t show how long it’s taken. All evidence to show modders and pilots should really be screen recording, because it’s a hell of a lot harder to edit videos than pictures for the average person. Plus, you can actually show suspected mods and piloting.

Besides, while screenshots and recording are not evidence, and never will be since anyone could edit one to imply anything, they are however a launching point for an investigation. If I made a line chat screenshot and changed my name to the same name as a member of MMXIV and wrote a message saying “I bought this account from my friend, I’m breaking the terms of service lol. Also I pilot and mod all the time.” I could screenshot that and (by assumption that kabam do consider all submitted evidence, like they have said) Kabam would investigate that account. Of course, nothing would happen, but there would be an investigation.
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 907 ★★★
    To the commentators about complete anonymity:

Getting upset over strategies like making spreadsheets seems ridiculous. Studying your opponent is exactly how real competitions are done aren't they? Even sports competitions.
    You keep tabs on the other team. You take note of their plays as they execute them. You know the players and their abilities.
    If you have EVER watched a youtube video about MCOC, or "how beat xxx champs" videos, or the best methods for RTTL, ROL, LOL, etc. then you are guilty of the same type of strategy. No one blindly picks their teams for any of these. Everyone is looking for someone else's spreadsheet on best defenders, attackers, etc. down to the node are they not? The forum plays into this also.

The newer characters are complicated and in some VERY difficult if not impossible to beat without a specific champ or two. You want to make it where there is no way for you to even guess who you're facing in AW? I can't imagine ANYONE would actually like that in reality. Sounds great for yourself and your defense until you have to walk through the opponent's blind row of noded "who-knows" with whatever champ you randomly decide. Happy revives!
    Real wars and real competitions are never like this. You are allowed to do your homework on the opponent to the best of your ability and within moral framework.

To what the OP said:
    Yeah changing the names to IIIIIIII seems frivolous but I can't say it isn't clever also. The question is, could AW be altered in such a way that it wouldn't matter as much is people could creep your profile that doesn't include completely hidden nodes? I don't know.
    To the commentators about complete anonymity:

Getting upset over strategies like making spreadsheets seems ridiculous. Studying your opponent is exactly how real competitions are done aren't they? Even sports competitions.
    You keep tabs on the other team. You take note of their plays as they execute them. You know the players and their abilities.
    If you have EVER watched a youtube video about MCOC, or "how beat xxx champs" videos, or the best methods for RTTL, ROL, LOL, etc. then you are guilty of the same type of strategy. No one blindly picks their teams for any of these. Everyone is looking for someone else's spreadsheet on best defenders, attackers, etc. down to the node are they not? The forum plays into this also.

The newer characters are complicated and in some VERY difficult if not impossible to beat without a specific champ or two. You want to make it where there is no way for you to even guess who you're facing in AW? I can't imagine ANYONE would actually like that in reality. Sounds great for yourself and your defense until you have to walk through the opponent's blind row of noded "who-knows" with whatever champ you randomly decide. Happy revives!
    Real wars and real competitions are never like this. You are allowed to do your homework on the opponent to the best of your ability and within moral framework.

To what the OP said:
    Yeah changing the names to IIIIIIII seems frivolous but I can't say it isn't clever also. The question is, could AW be altered in such a way that it wouldn't matter as much is people could creep your profile that doesn't include completely hidden nodes? I don't know.

Would you agree that removing the names of the defenders would work just the same as everyone having the same barcode name? If so then everyone can keep their in-game identity
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 907 ★★★
    RedBaron99 wrote: »
    This happens in all games/sports/conflicts; the organisers, administrators and protagonists write the 'rules', after which the participants, players and combatants find creative ways of increasing their chances of winning with those 'rules' in mind.

History is littered with examples of this - from sport alone (and off the top of my head) there have been double diffusers and f-ducts from Formula 1, Brailsford's approach to 'marginal gains' in cycling (plus all the doping), ball tampering in cricket, the whole 'deflate gate' in NFL... heck, watching Neymar roll around like he was on fire, clutching his head in yesterday's World Cup match.

The point is, when something exists that is worth having and you have to compete to get it, people will push the boundaries of propriety. Sometimes that falls within an accepted level of creativity - which I think this does for the record - and sometimes it doesn't (i.e. 3rd party software and piloting).

As an aside, this is just another example of how Kabam's knee-jerk, short term, reactionary style of content development makes the game less enjoyable as a whole.

Somehow I missed this before my post. I was thinking right along similar lines.