**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Isn’t naming every team in an alliance ||||| against the spirit of the game?

Comments

• gohard123gohard123 Posts: 995 ★★★
    DarthPhal wrote: »
    It is so obviously against the spirit of the contest that it seems odd to have to ask. If one alliance can scout top potential defenders and the other cannot, the first alliance has a decided advantage provided by something that has nothing to do with legitimate gameplay. If you’re ok with this you should have no issues with piloting and modding either.

This practice needs to be stopped, or all defender profiles need to be hidden.

You are putting name change and piloting/modding in the same boat. that's ridiculous.
    Werewrym wrote: »

If you do something to give yourself an advantage, you are by definition giving the opposition a disadvantage.

Quick question. Boosting during war gives the player an advantage, does that mean the opposition is now at a disadvantage?
  • ThreedeadkingsThreedeadkings Posts: 97
    q6ys6pfqjjyv.jpeg

Dear Kabam, I just want to register my utmost disappointment that your respective teams had actually allowed and almost seems like perpetuating this type of behaviour. It’s baffling when you have allowed multi-barcodes but now this too? You may argue that the i,I are unique but what about this? What’s next? Sanskrit and Viking Runes? Have you actually thought about the negative implication (s) this may create to you when say 1% of your player base goes about syncronysing their ingame names?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,192 ★★★★★
    Last thread about this got deleted without any answer or reason ...
    I know it is strategy, but I personally think that it shouldn't be allowed, as it is a BS move. Why did anyone let this happen? Why would someone on Kabam change so many ingame names without any "good reason"?

Actually, I remember a comment from Moderation that they would be discussing it. It's definitely not good, in my opinion. For a few reasons.
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    gohard123 wrote: »

If you do something to give yourself an advantage, you are by definition giving the opposition a disadvantage.

Quick question. Boosting during war gives the player an advantage, does that mean the opposition is now at a disadvantage?

I mean technically speaking yes, you have just given them less of a chance at winning. The difference is boosts are completely fair, whereas changing your name seems a little questionable.
    I mean technically speaking yes, you have just given them less of a chance at winning. The difference is boosts are completely fair, whereas changing your name seems a little questionable.

Name change is now questionable? If the change was another random name it would be alright but because it is coordinated with team members it is wrong?

Name change is now questionable? If the change was another random name it would be alright but because it is coordinated with team members it is wrong?

Changing your name to something random is completely different than changing your name to something identical in appearance to another players name because the intent behind each of these cases is completely different. One is solely for the purpose of changing your name, whereas the other is for the purpose of gaining an advantage, or giving someone who hasn't changed their name a disadvantage. At this point in time I realize that changing your name is not against any rules currently in existence, however, it is very depressing that this is actually a tactic that alliances use to get the upper hand. And I can't say that it gives many of us any respect for alliances that use such tactics.
  • JustapilgrimJustapilgrim Posts: 239 ★★
    Sounds to me like people are just hunting for reasons to be upset...... Like there isn't enough legitimate reasons to be upset with Kabam right now, let's go out and hunt for stupid stuff to be mad about too....
  • CFreeCFree Posts: 491 ★★

Changing your name to something random is completely different than changing your name to something identical in appearance to another players name because the intent behind each of these cases is completely different. One is solely for the purpose of changing your name, whereas the other is for the purpose of gaining an advantage, or giving someone who hasn't changed their name a disadvantage. At this point in time I realize that changing your name is not against any rules currently in existence, however, it is very depressing that this is actually a tactic that alliances use to get the upper hand. And I can't say that it gives many of us any respect for alliances that use such tactics.
    That’s pretty harsh. Those alliances that list your respect by not violating the rules are probably really upset right now.
    *lost
    CFree wrote: »

That’s pretty harsh. Those alliances that list your respect by not violating the rules are probably really upset right now.

Let me clarify, I'm not saying I have any disrespect for them, I'm just saying that when I look at an alliance and see everyone has the same name I'm not like "These guys are awesome!", I'm thinking more along the lines of exasperation, like how far will people go to get even the smallest advantage over other alliances.
  • shchong2shchong2 Posts: 2,419 ★★★★
    Let's check back 1 year from now, by 07-Oct-2019, I'm sure their names will still be llll11llll and still nothing will happen to them.
  • GabbrosGabbros Posts: 157
    gsd5805ze08h.jpeg
  • VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★
    A number of top aw alliances are naming their teams the same. Something like ||||||||. So as other alliances can’t tell who their top champs are. Although technically it’s legal. Isn’t it against the spirit of the game being deceptive

You are correct.
    This is an exploit to the namechange system!!!
    Illegal? pfffffff
    Gabbros wrote: »
    Illegal? pfffffff
    That definitely is not an exploit.
    Illegal? pfffffff

100% Agree. Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't still mean it isn't an exploit. This is very clearly an exploit in need of fixing because there was no way the naming system was ever meant to be used as it is being used now.
    Illegal? pfffffff

How is it not? People are using the flaws in the current naming system to benefit themselves. This is by definition an exploit even if it isn't breaking any rules.
    Illegal? pfffffff

How is it not? People are using the flaws in the current naming system to benefit themselves. This is by definition an exploit even if it isn't breaking any rules.
    If you mean the dictionary definition of exploit (to utilize), then yes they have exploited the name system.
    But it isn’t a flaw.
    Illegal? pfffffff

If you mean the dictionary definition of exploit (to utilize), then yes they have exploited the name system.

There are a various number of definitions for the word "exploit" depending on how you use it (to utilize) being the nicest of them. I'm talking about exploit in the sense of other players taking advantage of the system to benefit themselves. And in regards to it not being a flaw... There is no game developer ever that would design a game where having a specific name allows you to have an advantage over other players. It is utterly nonsensical. Now in MCoC this just happens to be the case, but certainly not by design, so yes, I think it is very much a flaw. Frankly it reminds me of the book "Ready Player One" and the 6ers.

Exploit has a negative connotation to it when used as a synonym for utilize. I utilize stark spidey's taunt when facing power gain nodes. That is not an exploit.
  • GriffoplayGriffoplay Posts: 265
    this behavior seems to be "legal" but it is not in the spirit of the game. no matter what is your opinion. it is not fair.
    Add to this that now some ally can ask you to change your in game name in order to join them. Then you will be asked to change it again if/when you will join another ally.

Nodes in hight war tier are harder now. obscure defender names for all or show the defender for all.
    Griffoplay wrote: »
    this behavior seems to be "legal" but it is not in the spirit of the game. no matter what is your opinion. it is not fair.
    Add to this that now some ally can ask you to change your in game name in order to join them. Then you will be asked to change it again if/when you will join another ally.

Nodes in hight war tier are harder now. obscure defender names for all or show the defender for all.
    Oh. Thanks for clarifying that only your opinion matters. Lol.
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 762 ★★★
    I also agree it isn't an exploit, but it is kabam's best interest to make some changes on their end. Just because it's not against rules doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a revisit. Leave only 1 top champ showing on the profile instead of the current 4, hide player tag during attack phase can all address this easily.
    edited July 2018

Exploit has a negative connotation to it when used as a synonym for utilize. I utilize stark spidey's taunt when facing power gain nodes. That is not an exploit.

Ummm...exploiting is an act of taking advatnage of something thats not in line of its original purpose that gives u an advantage over others and/or with a negative intent.

1) Name change was not allowed to gain a competitive advantage over others. But, now its being used as so.
    2) Clearly those that are doing this have done it with a clear intent - take advantage of a loophole.

Clear exploit against the mcoc design and its players.
  • GriffoplayGriffoplay Posts: 265
    Oh. Thanks for clarifying that only your opinion matters. Lol.
    I did not say that only my opinion matters, what I say is that you can also write or think different but do not try to convince us that this is fair.
    it is ingenious? yes, it is
    Does it gives an advantage in war? yes
    Does the current rules allow it? yes
    Do you change your in game name to "IlIll" for some reasons other than in war gain? No (99,99%)

It is obviously a method to have an advantage without having gained it in the game.
    Do not offend our intellect please.
    edited July 2018
    gsd5805ze08h.jpeg

Ohhhhh, I misunderstood earlier. Yeah that's dumb. Probably against the spirit of the game but honestly, I'd bet they use the same champs on defense as anyone else. Magik, nc, various spidermen. It's not a deal breaker.
    It actually is. Many alliance nowadays keep track of opponent defense and placement. This makes it a lot more difficult or impossible.

With same names, it is really tough to strategize properly through guessing and elimination of possible defender choices compared to vsing an alliance without this exploitation.

Ummm...exploiting is an act of taking advatnage of something thats not in line of its original purpose that gives u an advantage over others and/or with a negative intent.

1) Name change was not allowed to gain a competitive advantage over others. But, now its being used as so.
    2) Clearly those that are doing this have done it with a clear intent - take advantage of a loophole.

Clear exploit against the mcoc design and its players.
    Just because you used “clear” and “clearly” doesn’t mean you’re right or others have to agree. You want a fix? Fine. I can agree with that. However, plenty of us still don’t agree that it’s an exploit.