**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

To know basic mechanics in detail.

Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,173 ★★★
Hello friends. Even after playing this game for 13 months now I fail to understand the basic mechanics of the game. I maybe a noob at this but I really want to know more. How does attack and damage correlate? How much is damage when it crits when it not crits. I have lot of questions on this. I also know that challenger rating plays a part. But for simplicity let's take an example of my 6 star GG fighting against another 6 star tech champion. This way there is no class advantage or disadvantage and no role of challenger rating. I am posting pics of my 6 star GG for further discussion.

c8ko0ml5x684.jpg
ftjfdpm0u5yk.jpg
rapbhj76w63w.jpg
eo7g8ng2bjpt.jpg

Now as you see attack is about 1900. So does it mean that normal damage is 1900 or it is 1900 when it crits? Kindly help me decode this simple thing as I see so much variation in damage throught on normal basic hits. Thankyou and appreciate for your forthcoming help and comments.

Comments

• Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    I can't answer everything you ask, but the damage is a calculation of your attack AND the opponent's armor. So in different fights, the total damage would always be varying.
  • Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,173 ★★★
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    I can't answer everything you ask, but the damage is a calculation of your attack AND the opponent's armor. So in different fights, the total damage would always be varying.

I understand what you are saying but still I would like to know in detail how a damage is calculated in the fight using attack, critical damage rating, critical rating, armour penetration and opponents armour as you say. For a particular fight, opponent armour is going to remain same except when you do armour break and parry but the damage still varies. Lots of unanswered questions. Thanks for your input, appreciate.

I also see that lot of guys have seen this thread but not opined anything. I would like if we utilise this forum bandwidth towards learning the game more.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    Seriously? No more constructive comments?
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★
    A very prominent Reddit user showed how to do calculations after the 12.0 patch. The links are external so hopefully they can stay:

Converting Ratings to Ratio (Percent)

Damage calculation around Armor

It took me multiple reads and messing around with the numbers to work it out but if you understand what is discussed you can calculate these things.
    A very prominent Reddit user showed how to do calculations after the 12.0 patch. The links are external so hopefully they can stay:

It took me multiple reads and messing around with the numbers to work it out but if you understand what is discussed you can calculate these things.

This is really helpful. I'll go through this. Once again thank-you.
  • AnthinhoAnthinho Posts: 256
    This guy does not know how game works yet has a 6*
  • crystaldsmithcrystaldsmith Posts: 471 ★★
    The only math I'm currently understanding is that I've been playing the game 300% longer than you but have -100% 6* as you. 🤷🤷🤷 #baffled

You asked a great question and I'm glad to see that Reddit link post. Definitely want to check that out. I've been curious about this too.
  • FineDogFineDog Posts: 403 ★★★
    Anthinho wrote: »

It is possible to play the game for a long time and even be an end-game player without knowing how all the damage calculations work. OP isn't asking how to parry or what does heal block do, they're asking how does armor penetration rating and critical damage rating combine with base attack value and the opponent's armor rating to deal a specific amount of damage on a light, medium, or heavy attack, which is something I'm not sure almost anyone knows for certain.
    Anthinho wrote: »

I am very happy that you understand the game well. Can you enlighten us all with your knowledge? Very easy to criticize someone eh.
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★
    Also if it helps, and I'm not sure if it's changed, but general rule of thumb for regular attacks has been:

Light Attack = 0.25 * Attack
    Medium Attack = 0.4 * Attack

This doesn't take into account armor or critical hits.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

DickSlug is the guy on the reddit when it comes to mechanics. If I didn't figure it out myself, I probably figured it out from one of his posts or asked him directly.

As to the OP, your attack rating is used to calculate the damage of most attacks. Most attacks are scaled to attack, in other words they do some percentage of your attack rating. Light attacks do 25%, medium attacks to 40% of your attack. This is before accounting for things like resistance, armor, and the like.

The damage you do when you land a critical hit is dependent on your critical damage rating. The percentage that number converts to is the amount the attack will do in critical damage if the attack crits. So in the pictures in the OP, the critical damage rating is 172%. That means when an attack crits, it will deal 1.72x the damage it would do normally as critical damage.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

DickSlug is the guy on the reddit when it comes to mechanics. If I didn't figure it out myself, I probably figured it out from one of his posts or asked him directly.

As to the OP, your attack rating is used to calculate the damage of most attacks. Most attacks are scaled to attack, in other words they do some percentage of your attack rating. Light attacks do 25%, medium attacks to 40% of your attack. This is before accounting for things like resistance, armor, and the like.

The damage you do when you land a critical hit is dependent on your critical damage rating. The percentage that number converts to is the amount the attack will do in critical damage if the attack crits. So in the pictures in the OP, the critical damage rating is 172%. That means when an attack crits, it will deal 1.72x the damage it would do normally as critical damage.

Thankyou for posting. I was actually waiting for your post. After reading your post I get some insight regarding the issue. But I still don't understand fully that in a same fight without any armour breaks or parry or any other buffs active, still the crit damage varies a lot and so are the light attack and medium attack damage too. In a combo of MLLLL for instance, if all 4 Ls don't crit then theoretically their damage should be same as all other conditions are similar. But it isn't so in the game. You can actually try out. I really feel that kabam should explain how the number's work or else it's a worthless stats to show, Instead of letting community guess about it.
  • Honeybunny217Honeybunny217 Posts: 33
    @Anurag1606 Ive done some testing recently with my 4* Black Bolt (no synergies) vs ROL Winter Soldier and his attack damage was consistent when he did not have fury or cruelty buffs active. Here is what i recorded, which is similar to what has been posted so far:

Attack - Regular - Critical
    Light - 250 - 755
    Medium - 390 - 1177
    Heavy - 330 - 500

Black Bolt 5/50 Stats (with masteries)
    Base attack = 1255
    Critical Rating = 598
    Critical Damage = 703
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Anurag1606 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Thankyou for posting. I was actually waiting for your post. After reading your post I get some insight regarding the issue. But I still don't understand fully that in a same fight without any armour breaks or parry or any other buffs active, still the crit damage varies a lot and so are the light attack and medium attack damage too. In a combo of MLLLL for instance, if all 4 Ls don't crit then theoretically their damage should be same as all other conditions are similar. But it isn't so in the game. You can actually try out. I really feel that kabam should explain how the number's work or else it's a worthless stats to show, Instead of letting community guess about it.

It would be helpful if you had specific examples with either screencaps or video of the inconsistencies you say you are observing. In general, all of these combat mathematics have been tested, including by me.

Lots of things could alter the net damage you deal. Attack bonuses on your side, such as with explicit attack buffs such as fury as well as "invisible" attack bonuses such as that generated by Starlord (combo meter) or Captain Marvel (power meter). Conversely, on the target side you have defensive effects such as resistances, armor, or other damage mitigating effects. And of course there's blocking and parrying which reduces damage by a significant amount.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Besides the flat value attributes like crit chance and armour, attack doesn’t mean a certain attack hits for that much, it’s just a comparative value