**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Is Ant-Man decent in any capacity?

I just pulled my second 5* Ant-Man and I was wondering if he had any hidden/good capacities that I don't know about. My last pull was a superior iron man and I'm losing hope.

Is Ant-Man decent in any capacity? 40 votes

Yes, he's kinda ok.
25%
MagrailothosTopher_TowersShaheerFIazWicket329shadow_lurker22VoltolosNewYorkSmittyBumbunyonDedaminJ_Z 10 votes
No, he's garbage.
62%
AjavedSpity68FrostyDERPYREVENGERLvernon15DOKTOROKTOPUSSuper_Mitch_83DingaloMy_SuperiorBahamutBaccaBossMCAsparespaceoctopusNoob2435SmashJayCeeth3_josephkingbTraceu27Robbo29192 25 votes
Other
12%
mum_m2FhfjghhggggjfhfjgAnthinhoMaidrilTheSquish671 5 votes

Comments

• BumbunyonBumbunyon Posts: 42
    Yes, he's kinda ok.
    He's good on certain nodes in war D
  • TheSquish671TheSquish671 Posts: 2,880 ★★★★★
    Other
    Pair him with wasp and ghost and he improves from garbage to rubbish. But seriously, he's weak. If only there could be nodes in war that would make ant man at least a good defender ...like micro reflect and particle protector
  • brucef8bringerbrucef8bringer Posts: 108
    edited July 2018
    He is only a good defender when duped. You say you duped him so that makes him a good defender because he "changes size" and attacks glance off him, thus taking less damage. Read all about it in his signature ability. The higher the sig level, the higher the chance that attacks glance off.
  • MaidrilMaidril Posts: 288
    Other
    He used to be good on AW def when duped. Now, not so much.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,343 ★★★★★
    Yes, he's kinda ok.
    I've said similar things like this about other champs such as Civil Warrior, but (IMO):

Ant-Man is defensive, and actually pretty good at that. The trouble is, the better a player you are (and therefore the better you are at intercepting, baiting special attacks and using dexterity to evade) the less you need a defensive champion at all; so more advanced players rate almost all defensive champions (CW, Colossus, Hulkbuster, Ant-Man) as 'weak' or even useless. This actually reflects that they (as players) don't get much out of the champion; and just stick him on defense. The question is, can you get much out of him?

Just remember the aim is to for you to win the fight, not 'win the fight with the fastest time/fewest hits'.

1 - For a Tank hero, he's got pretty decent basic damage, critical rate/damage, armour and block proficiency. He's no 'Pillowhands'. All of these stats are better than or equal to other old champs like Black Panther, Cyclops, etc. He doesn't have any way of boosting them with Fury, Cruelty or other buffs, unfortunately; so no headline act here.

2 - He's got a very decent health pool.

3 - His poison is slow and the damage consequently underwhelming; but as a result it does a very good job at shutting down Regeneration. He can do it with Fatigue alone if you use the Despair mastery, even if the opponent is poison immune. Trouble with Act 4 Magneto, or a Deadpool blocking your way? Ant Man is a counter most won't think of.

4 - His Glancing ability is defensive gold: it can save you again and again, from the first hit to the last. It can stop all kinds of nastiness happening from people's attacks. If you didn't know, it's also equally effective against SP3 attacks (very useful if your opponent can Power Gain or is on an All-or-Nothing node. SP3 causes intense bleed, stun or armour break? Glancing can save you.

Glancing is not subject to most forms of ability accuracy - Black Widow, Crossbones, Falcon etc? None of them work. Effects that are caused by an active debuff can work; like Black Iso8, neurotoxins, and (presumably) Electra if she can land a bleed. Corvus can land critical hits (using Glaive charges) but they still only do half damage. Or may only procs on up to 60% of attacks; but nevertheless it's one of the most reliable defensive abilities there is

5 - There are now three very good synergies and one good one that can make him far more effective, especially if you can combine them:
    I) Dr Octopus - Ant Man causes Glancing damage to be reflected onto the opponent.
    II) Ghost - Ant man gains up to +15% Attack per debuff on the opponent.
    III) Wasp - Ant Man gains a bit of armour, and gains passive up to +25% Attack bonus each time he glances a hit (which should be often).
    IV) Not awesome, but his two-way synergy with Yellowjacket gives everyone in the team +12% damage bonus, if you need it.

Overall: He's not trash. He's a decent option for questing; even though he may be a support player.

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,343 ★★★★★
    Yes, he's kinda ok.
    On a related note: Buff Ant-Man!

Why is his poison damage so low????

Suggested synergy update:
    Tech upgrade with Yellowjacket

Ant Man improves his ability to use the suit, gaining +10% to his glancing chance, and making the final strike of his SP1 unblockable.
    Yellowjacket upgrades his Power Sting effect, and they now cause a 5% Power Burn when they expire.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    Other
    he has two uses.
    Attack Synergy
    If he's awakened with a decent sig level then place him on an all or nothing node
  • AnthinhoAnthinho Posts: 256
    Other
    Ghost synergy