**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Disable features in beta versions

Releasing beta versions of a software, pointing to production servers is a reality (it has been happening for a while). But you have to be a bit wiser about it.

If the purpose of a beta version is to test performance of certain features, disable the features that could bring problems when pointing at production servers (that you do not need tested).

If this is not possible, inform the beta testers what you need them to test, and what not to test. Also, you should have a dedicated project online to keep track of different devices, bugs and known issues that these testers can check (to see if they are reporting something that is already reported, or to know what to avoid).

I understand why you had to perma-ban testers, but the way the beta was handled wasn't professional. For what I read, any in-game purchase came with a message saying that these would be undone by the end of the testing. If this wasn't the case (or you found an exploit after that, through gifting), you should have let users know this was an exploit and do not make purchases with that version of the game.

I also understand the situation was very complex and required a larger pool of testers. But, after what happened, I wouldn't expect users to help you beta-test anything. And neither should you. You need to invest more in testing, the last month has brought that into light a lot. Please do.

Comments

• Maximus0215Maximus0215 Posts: 128
    edited July 2018
    I can see if people bought the units and used them for energy refills. Makes sense to see if the patches they were testing worked. But to buy crystals or mastery cores everyone knows that’s wrong. They should have sent in a ticket to see what if anything hey could use them for. I couldn’t imagine anyone hitting the purchase button 450 times and gifting over a million units worth of stuff to alliance mates and not think they were doing something very wrong.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited July 2018
    I'm sorry, I don't fully agree with this. They had a serious issue and had to come up with a fix as soon as possible. A number of Users couldn't play. Implying that it's somehow their fault and that people wouldn't want to Beta Test with them removes any responsibility from the people who violated the exploit. If you notice something out of place once, you report it. Being in a Beta involves reporting issues. The extent that it was exploited is extreme in some cases. People volunteered to help fix the overheating issue. Not run amok. It's not the fault of the Beta because it was possible. People are responsible for their own dishonest behavior.
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    Too bad Prof Hoff doesn’t teacher philosophy/ethics...... might be able to make me less confused about the moral issues of a video game.
    Mitchell35 wrote: »
    Too bad Prof Hoff doesn’t teacher philosophy/ethics...... might be able to make me less confused about the moral issues of a video game.

Well, when you're talking about thousands of dollars worth of Units, that's a little more than an "oops". People knew something was up.
  • StolenNameGuyStolenNameGuy Posts: 36
    Question for anybody in this beta group - did you have a private chat group or forum section for discussion about the beta with kabam?
    I wasn't in this one. There was a Beta Forum in the MD Beta.
    Considering people had to fill out an Application, it wouldn't be difficult to contact someone.
  • roberto94roberto94 Posts: 779 ★★
    Well.. they could make a new system that their system could detect the problem from our device report send to them and they can read the problem and solve it. For example too much crash during arenas and the system detect that and send the report to kabam to solve it. Another example is lag, too much lags there and there and system notice that and send in report to solve the problem.
    Well, an Application of sorts, anyway.
    I don't want the OP's suggestion to veer off, so I should clarify.
    I agree that being diligent about what is enabled is important. Having seen people making a game out of what they can Sell and not affect their Main Account in the last Beta, I think it's important. However, in this case, people volunteered for a specific purpose. To help resolve the overheating issue. As with any Beta, reporting information is key. This was a unique case where they had many Players unable to play and having devices jeopardized. The idea was to get it resolved as quickly and effectively as possible. That was the priority. I don't agree that it was the fault of what may or may not have been enabled, given the fact that I wasn't in it, and I don't trust Reddit very much. People had a responsibility to report a problem such as that, not take advantage of it. I don't agree with the statement that people aren't going to want to Beta Test because that implies it was some common mistake. This wasn't really a mistake. People milked Units out of it. That's my spiel.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    Well, an Application of sorts, anyway.
    I don't want the OP's suggestion to veer off, so I should clarify.
    I agree that being diligent about what is enabled is important. Having seen people making a game out of what they can Sell and not affect their Main Account in the last Beta, I think it's important. However, in this case, people volunteered for a specific purpose. To help resolve the overheating issue. As with any Beta, reporting information is key. This was a unique case where they had many Players unable to play and having devices jeopardized. The idea was to get it resolved as quickly and effectively as possible. That was the priority. I don't agree that it was the fault of what may or may not have been enabled, given the fact that I wasn't in it, and I don't trust Reddit very much. People had a responsibility to report a problem such as that, not take advantage of it. I don't agree with the statement that people aren't going to want to Beta Test because that implies it was some common mistake. This wasn't really a mistake. People milked Units out of it. That's my spiel.

I am just saying. I am a software developer. If I release something like that, I would get fired. I am not talking about the people that abused the system, I am just saying that, if they need to release a beta in production, they should make sure they don't enable the free units thing. I assume they use this beta internally, where everybody knows what they can do. They should have released a different version for beta users.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    Absolutely. This is another easily avoidable problem that has now cost some people accounts worth thousands. No doubt some, if not most, deserved their bans. Once you're gifting stuff you've lost the ability to plead ignorance... BUT free units should not have been turned on and should have been caught way earlier in the beta.