Champion Spotlight - Red Skull

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 2,857 ★★★★★
    Fives wrote: »
    I'm not going to hop on the Seatin bandwagon like most people. I will speak my own opinion. I like Red Skull. He's easily one of my favorite marvel Villains. I just pulled a 5 star Red Skull and honestly I like the look and feel of him. I've used his unique Synergies and also others with crossbones to get more crit. I think he's fine as is. If they buff him, cool. If not, he doesn't need it. Does he hit as hard as Hyperion? No. Is he another in the vein of Star Lord, Stark Spidey or Blade? No. Will he kill ROL WS in under 100 hits? No. But who cares. That's not the benchmark for determining if a character is good. If you like whatever Champ you play with, that's great. If you don't, then fine play with a different character. I can see this Champ being on AW or AQ or just for questing. He most likely will not be the best of 2018 Champs but he is certainly far from the worst. I just don't like when people follow the unofficial leader without playing the character for themselves. He may not have all the abilities that you would want but that's to be expected from any Champ because guess what, you didn't design the character. Play the game and have fun with the new Champs they give us people. Seriously, don't be a sheep. Hail Hydra!

You didn’t really give any reason why he’s a good character other than “I like him”. I like him too, he looks good and plays smoothly, but you’re also ignoring legitimate criticisms of the character simply because Seatin criticized him.

Let’s pretend some random nobody complained about red skull’s mediocre shock damage that’s difficult to keep up, and impossible to keep up while utilizing red skull as a power control character (you can’t keep spamming sp1 or they’ll get to their sp3. You have to block attacks to power drain, which risks losing shocks. Even if you manage to juggle that, you’re losing more armor than you’re gaining. Eventually, you’ll have to drop the shocks or take an sp3 to the face).
    You said he did good damage with crit synergies... doesn’t everybody? Even carnage can do some damage with crit synergies. That’s hardly a good measure of damage. And there are many better options for AQ; it’s likely he’ll time out in longer fights, and he has no immunities, so he’ll be straight up useless for a chunk of content. In AW offense, it’s the same, and he simply doesn’t have the tools or damage to contend with heavy hitters or utility champions. Not to mention he’ll trigger mystic dispersion ON BLOCK. He literally can’t block without giving mystic champions power.

Let’s talk about the fact that he’s useless on defense, it’s easy to bait and evade his special one, and as previously mentioned, his armor feeds mystic dispersion, and his one defensive ability is possible to simply ignore by not hitting his block. In addition, any speculation that he’ll be good on explosive personality...
    As for Explosive Personality, it should not interact with the Armor Up Buffs that he starts with or gains from his abilities. Hope that info helps!

...And we all know nobody will be hitting into his block anyways, so he’s even worse than other champs on that node, and altogether completely useless on defense.

So, speaking to a random stranger that you’ve never met before, please explain to me why and how red skull is anything more than an admittedly very pretty face. I really want him to be good, Captain America was my first marvel movie and red skull has a special place in my heart as my first marvel villain, and if you can give any actual specifics, then I’d genuinely love to hear them. As it is, though, he seems like a useless character with very little practical utility. And as far as 2018 champs? Unless I’m forgetting someone... He is absolutely the worst.

Very good post. Although we cannot say with certainty yet that he is the worst. Wasn’t sentry the first champ of 2018? He may be worse or better than Red Skull, although preliminary findings suggest Red Skull is worse. However, I do agree with everything else you’ve said on this, the irony of the OP’s post is that while he’s saying people shouldn’t blindly trust seatin, he’s blindly ignoring seatin just because he is Seatin.

There are very real issues with RS’ abilities making him unsuitable for much past Master, Low AQ and low AW. Not taking away from the fact he’s one OP’s favourite characters. I have my own loved champions who aren’t good, Gambit for one, but that doesn’t take away from his lack of useful abilities.

People agree with what seatin say because he backs up what he says with well put facts and evidence, or he does most of the time.

It’s admirable OP likes Red Skull and I respect that. But while he may be an alright champion, he won’t be anything more.
  • Reaper213Reaper213 Posts: 167
    Thanks Kabam!!!
    lhd5ku6t5zdm.jpeg
  • caligarelinquocaligarelinquo Posts: 193
    It's so funny when people don't read correctly. But just to clear the air, I like the way he plays and for my questing team and in AQ and AW. He has good power drain and Heal block that gets boosted by synergies. It's a fallacy to say I only dismiss the criticism because it was Seatin. I don't care if it's Seatin or John from the Gamestop down the street. Red Skull is a good champ. Play him for yourself. I digress, to each his own.
  • FivesFives Posts: 118 ★★
    It's so funny when people don't read correctly. But just to clear the air, I like the way he plays and for my questing team and in AQ and AW. He has good power drain and Heal block that gets boosted by synergies. It's a fallacy to say I only dismiss the criticism because it was Seatin. I don't care if it's Seatin or John from the Gamestop down the street. Red Skull is a good champ. Play him for yourself. I digress, to each his own.

Strange that you accuse me of not reading correctly when I addressed every single thing you said, and conceded myself that I like the way red skull plays. However, you’ve yet to explain exactly how red skull’s abilities are useful. His power drain is easily outshone by nearly every other power control character, as you have to take block damage to do it, or parry, meaning you can only drain 10%, less power than you give in a 5 hit combo, or land an sp3, sacrificing his damage output, and while I agree his heal block is good, it is by no means the best, nor is it alone enough to merit his use over other characters. But he’s fun to play, and by all means use him if you want. He’s just not a good character, is all.
    Dude I respect your opinion, I just don't share your view. Thanks for chiming back in again though.
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 922 ★★★
    Dude I respect your opinion, I just don't share your view. Thanks for chiming back in again though.

I have most the champs in the game, missing Thanos, IIF and Kang as 5*s. I've tried all RSkulls synergies....he's just extremely weak compared to 95% of the current champs.
    I'm not going to beat a dead horse, so this is the last thing I'll comment. I have never said nor do I think he is better than most of the Champs in the game. I know there are other Champs with his same exact utility. What I was looking for in my crystal opening was any new Champ. As luck would have it I get the newest Champ so far in 5 star version. He's a personal, key word there personal, favorite of mine. In the game I use him during quest and just recently I'm AW. He gets the job done for me. I like his power drain and heal block and the ability of taking block hits which will do damage the the opponent. Is he the best, No. But I still find him useful. No one has to share my opinion, that's fine.
  • This makes absolutely no sense you guys realize he should be science or cosmic cuz his energy source is not tec is just raw energy and he was given the super solider serem to so why is he not science like sentry, void, captain America ..
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 518 ★★★
    Any chance we could get an answer from a mod on some of these concerns? Is this something that is being looked at or will he be left as is?
  • AkumaccbAkumaccb Posts: 122
    I'm not going to beat a dead horse, so this is the last thing I'll comment. I have never said nor do I think he is better than most of the Champs in the game. I know there are other Champs with his same exact utility. What I was looking for in my crystal opening was any new Champ. As luck would have it I get the newest Champ so far in 5 star version. He's a personal, key word there personal, favorite of mine. In the game I use him during quest and just recently I'm AW. He gets the job done for me. I like his power drain and heal block and the ability of taking block hits which will do damage the the opponent. Is he the best, No. But I still find him useful. No one has to share my opinion, that's fine.

Lay off OP guys, RS is good to him for one particular reason, OP is evidently playing low tier AQ and AWs, thus allowing red skull to seemingly shine.
  • Mad_Titan72Mad_Titan72 Posts: 26
    RS is definitely not my best champ but I've got my 4* @ R3 and he's fun to use and is a character that I've been waiting for. His animations are cool too, which is a plus.
    RS is definitely not my best champ but I've got my 4* @ R3 and he's fun to use and is a character that I've been waiting for. His animations are cool too, which is a plus.

That’s the real shame. I love how he looks and plays, but I just can’t think of anywhere he’ll be particularly useful.
    Fives wrote: »

That’s the real shame. I love how he looks and plays, but I just can’t think of anywhere he’ll be particularly useful.

I will say one thing, Red Skull's leg sweep sucks.
  • Crooked_Sprook1Crooked_Sprook1 Posts: 294 ★★
    Well, if your really good intercepting attacks with heavy, you could technically continuously charge up your heavy, gaining power and armor ups, and shocking the oppenent as it dashes in. If you’re really skilled, red skull could have power control rivalling Hawkeye (but not magik just yet)
  • Nice Red skull came out! People say he is 2018 Carnage. Might be true. But u got to love Red skull
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 150
    I think he’s an AW defender true and true

His shock damage is affected by the node he’s on, and needs a high sig to be good on offense

He’s a pretty decent champ for defense. I can see people being disappointed now but most of the disappointment is without gameplay

In the videos I’ve seen nobody has stacked his armor, his his L2 then L1 infinite shock his opponent to death?

Nobody is talking about his 1000% ability accuracy.

People see pure damage as the mark of a good champ, which is important, but I feel that he will be a good AW defender as people uncover his abilities .
  • JosmanxJosmanx Posts: 58
    Like I said, I have him now!t2vgszp3nldq.png
    Brian Grant just did a two hour testing stream of his 5* 4/55 RS. He liked him, and I agree, although I don’t have a high level version of him. My opinion on him has changed slightly as I’ve seen more gameplay. However, I still believe all that I’ve said so far still holds true in terms of his incredibly limited viability.

As a defender, I just don’t see him being that good. His shock damage is irrelevant if you never let him get to his L2, (which is also possible, though difficult, to evade, or just block if it really comes to it) and his damage back can be great, especially scaled, but it’s neutralized by three things: armor break, (for instance, Medusa will eviscerate him) nullify/fate seal, (almost every mystic champ, from ghost rider to iron fist, can remove his armor and gain a ton of power from it) and the ability every single champion in the game has: not hitting into block. Sure, one slip up can cost you a match, but with the easiest L1 to evade and punish in the game, and not really any other abilities to work around, it should be easy to keep red skull in the corner and never have to worry about him blocking.

In terms of his shock... well, a 4/55 red skull, full mutant crit team, suicides enabled, took 350+ hits to take down Rol WS, and that’s WITH his shocks up almost the entire fight. I don’t think he was ever supposed to be a damage dealer, but let me reiterate: he’s not a damage dealer.

I will say that his crit resistance when buffed is really nice, and from the looks of it he’s got armored sentry levels of tankiness with ten stacks of armor, as he doesn’t get crit... the downside being that red skull can’t regenerate, and his armor can easily be removed. Still, if you’re using him it’ll be hard to die, so there’s that.

His sig doesn’t seem that great either. Dunno what level BG’s was at, but the power gain was minimal at best, I believe it was something like 6 seconds for a bar of power, which is almost as good as morningstar’s heavy, the only difference being morningstar’s heavy doesn’t leave you vulnerable. Practically, unless it’s much better at higher levels, I don’t see it being much use. It seems difficult to balance that and refreshing shocks, too.

I’d say the coolest thing about him, and maybe the most potentially useful is his reduction of enemy power gain when they have debuffs. It’s awesome to see power gain slow to a halt, especially as despair and some of his synergies give him around 7-8 debuffs consistently active. So maybe, hopefully, he’ll be good for some power control content in the future.

I’d still like him to be changed up in a couple ways. Not drastically, just little things. For instance, why does his L1 refresh shocks on the third hit? It makes refreshing awkward and hard to time. Shouldn’t it be more like doc ock’s sp1, refreshing on the first hit so that way you just have to time it with the end of your combo? I also feel like maybe his armor should be capped a little higher, or he should be able to dash out of his heavy if he hasn’t launched it yet... Something to make his abilities synergize more effectively, because as it is, although his abilities all work together well, they don’t amount to much of anything useful. I doubt he’ll see anything in the realm of buffs though, as kabam has been radio silent on feedback as far as I can tell.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,502 ★★★★
    How strong is his block/shock going to be when not in an event quest, can we get an idea?
  • PennmabobPennmabob Posts: 654 ★★★
    I love how for the weak matchups there are the categories with multiple champions inside them, then there's just quake
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 150
    He’s a better version of Hawkeye

Can last longer w/power control

Heal block

Crit resistance

He’s fun as heck to play with
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 922 ★★★
    All this downtime red skull arenas need to be rerun
  • FortuneFortune Posts: 40
    Ahhmmm........am I the only one who feels that all these arguments over a crappy/average (to say the least) champion is pointless!!!!.......I really think that we should just accept him how he is (though if Kabam beefs him up a little, that would be great) and move on, after all, not all champions will be good/equal (if they were, I don't think we would have favorites). Just cut out all these twitter fights. GEEZ........
  • Wow
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 1,892 ★★★
    He doesn't seem too bad. Sure, he's not the new IMIW (thank goodness!), but then he's not the new Howard the Duck, either.

And regardless how annoying his 'don't hit me or I'll power drain/kill you' ability is, I like his design and animations. I think the retro technology is very akin to the tech seen in the CA:TFA film; shoulder-vents and all.
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 518 ★★★
    @Kabam Miike
    I am sorry to tag you again, but I am really in a quandary as far as rank ups are concerned.

Could I just get an answer as to whether or not you guys are looking at the possibility of tweaking Red Skull a bit to make him more attractive as a champ or if at this point there are no plans to change anything?

Thank you for your time! Sorry again for the tag.
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,416 ★★★★★
    JC_ wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike
    I am sorry to tag you again, but I am really in a quandary as far as rank ups are concerned.

Could I just get an answer as to whether or not you guys are looking at the possibility of tweaking Red Skull a bit to make him more attractive as a champ or if at this point there are no plans to change anything?

Thank you for your time! Sorry again for the tag.

They have never ever “tweaked” a champ upon release. I think the closest they’ve come is with Sentry a few months after and even then I keep hearing how much he sucks.
  • crogscrogs Posts: 268
    He's definitely no Johnny Lawrence.
    crogs wrote: »
    He's definitely no Johnny Lawrence.

:D No Mercy!

Actually I don't mind the leg sweep any more, I posted that before I had enough time to get used to him. Red Skull has become one of my favorites to use - he's pretty bad ass IMO.