**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Where Are Our Strong Female Avengers?

2»

Comments

• Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Since 12.0 released in early 2017, the following movies have been released within the MCU: Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Exactly zero female Avengers show up in any of those movies until Infinity War.

Uh Mantis, Valkyrie, and Shuri/Okoye. There weren’t any male avengers introduced either, soooooo oh well. That’s what happens when a story nears the climax.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Your next big chance to get a female Avenger (if she is pseudo-retroactively made an Avenger) will be Captain Marvel when her movie comes out next year. Chances are her character will be substantively different from the comics and that makes it extremely likely we will get a cinematic Captain Marvel (ala BPCW) next year.
    She’s definitely different from the comics; her name was Ms.Marvel for 30 years before taking the mantle of Captain Marvel in 2012. I wonder why they changed it? I’m betting Cap dies and Disney tries to force Marvel as his replacement.

The current Captain Marvel was perennially in the shadow of the first Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) until relatively recently. I'm guessing that Carol became "Captain Marvel" in part to push her outside that shadow, in part as an overall plan to move a female heroine into a more prominent role in the Marvel Universe, and possibly in part with the knowledge that the character would eventually play a role in the MCU.

See, to me, it was the other way around; Ms. Marvel has always outshined Captain Marvel.

Being "in the shadow of" doesn't mean better or worse. It means like it or not, the answer to the question "why is she called Ms Marvel" has always been because there was an original Captain Marvel in the Marvel Universe. You might not have been familiar with the character, but the Marvel Universe has had a special affinity for him ever since the Death of Captain Marvel became one of the seminal works of Marvel comics. In fact, the fact that you were not familiar with him and yet the character was continuing to affect characters you were familiar with is the very essence of the long shadow he casts that I mentioned. Not many Marvel characters have that kind of effect without straight up getting resurrected every few years.
    I don’t see how taking someone’s name pushes you out of their shadow either.

It doesn't. It is the other way around. By deciding that Carol no longer needed to live in the shadow of Mar-vell, it no longer became necessary to acknowledge the prior Captain Marvel and she could assume the name. Taking the name doesn't mean she wasn't in Mar-vell's shadow, taking the name was a symbolic gesture that the character wasn't being treated that way anymore.
    Wow you changed your stance pretty quick.

Have no idea why you think that, but you highlighted a quote from my first post that I proceeded to reiterate in the second post, so I'm not sure which stance you think I changed. It can't be that one.
    What I said was that simply taking the name alone doesn't all by itself remove Carol Danvers from Mar-Vell's shadow. That was in reply to your statement "I don’t see how taking someone’s name pushes you out of their shadow either." My first statement, "I'm guessing that Carol became 'Captain Marvel' in part to push her outside that shadow" was meant to be taken colloquially to refer to the change in stance Marvel has had with the character, of which giving her the moniker was just a part of that change. Ordinarily, that would take more verbage to explicitly articulate than would be necessary.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,757 ★★★★★
    I'm pretty sure there are waiting till avengers 4 to give us ebony maw and cull obsidian
  • CuteshelfCuteshelf Posts: 747 ★★★
    Scarlett Witch (Infinity War) Kabam please
    Havick420 wrote: »
    Scarlett Witch (Infinity War) Kabam please

Or Black Widow (Infinity War)

Or just make them both 5 and maybe 6*
  • XxOriginalxXXxOriginalxX Posts: 1,324 ★★★
    Uhm, idk why we would WANT SW infinity war, there’s nothing different about her in infinity war, no costume changes or anything like what cap, IM, or Thor got in IW. Black widow makes a bit of sense cause of the hair, but it’d be hard to make up an entirely new skill set based off of blonde hair instead of red. Also the fact that the two female avengers are so strong that they can’t be 5* shows why this shouldn’t be an issue of sexism I suppose.
  • jojodeth101jojodeth101 Posts: 480
    Havick420 wrote: »
    I noticed on the last “win with Avengers” challenge that on the list of Avengers they had 2 Caps, 2 Black Panther, 2 Vision, 2 Thor, 2 Hulk And 3 Ironman. But the only 2 females have 1 version Black Widow and Scarlett Witch, not only that but you can only get them as 2,3,and 4 stars... they don’t get any higher... So I ask you Kabam Where are our strong kick ass FEMALE Avengers?

answer to the question: waiting to be added