**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Dr. Strange Signature Ability Question

Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
"The Sorcerer Supreme automatically counters enemy Buff Effects with countermagic. Spell effectiveness 60%"

This is how the description reads with 60% thrown in as a nice rounded number for conversation's sake.

In combat, I understand how this mechanic works. If the enemy has a buff, sooner or later Dr. Strange will nullify it automatically without any effort on the player's part. The question is how EXACTLY does this mechanic work?

If Strange is fighting a champ with a permanent buff, it's not as if he has a single chance to nullify the buff. As I stated before, eventually he will nullify that buff; a failed counterspell doesn't make the buff safe, it just delays the inevitable. Typically speaking, the higher the spell effectiveness, the more often buffs are nullified.

This leads me to believe that there is a timer in the background that starts at the beginning of the fight and every...5 seconds???...or so, I'll have a 60% chance to nullify the buffs. Any buff that makes it past the first round has another 5 seconds before countermagic attempts to nullify it again. Or perhaps it works this way, but every buff gets a unique timer starting whenever it's activated.

The mechanic has always been a useful one, but it's always been a little mysterious to me. Does anyone know for sure exactly how Dr. Strange's signature ability works?

Comments

• EnderDraco58EnderDraco58 Posts: 957 ★★
    I think it's that he has a 60% chance to nullify buffs for every time he hits. I used Dr Strange (duped) a while back, and that's how he seemed to work for me.
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    I think it's that he has a 60% chance to nullify buffs for every time he hits. I used Dr Strange (duped) a while back, and that's how he seemed to work for me.

Idk about that. I swear i nulify well blocking more often then hititng the opponent
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    What more do you expect from the master of the mystic arts? I personally have never seen anything mentioned about a timer, but I suspect there has to be something going in the background that allows him to keep attempting to get rid of the buff.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★

That's not it. Strange will nullify buffs even he's on the other side of the arena and just blocking or idling.

Werewrym wrote: »
    What more do you expect from the master of the mystic arts? I personally have never seen anything mentioned about a timer, but I suspect there has to be something going in the background that allows him to keep attempting to get rid of the buff.

This is exactly my thought. I've never heard of a timer either, but I can't figure out a way this makes sense without one.
  • FrostyFrosty Posts: 485 ★★★
    Last I used Dr Strange he would nullify buffs after approx 1 second after they procured. If he didn't nullify at that time then he wouldn't nullify it at all. My interpretation was he has 1 shot at nullifying each new buff at whatever % his sig states. Same goes for permanent buffs, he would have 1 chance to nullify it after approx 1 second of it being applied.
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Frosty wrote: »
    Last I used Dr Strange he would nullify buffs after approx 1 second after they procured. If he didn't nullify at that time then he wouldn't nullify it at all. My interpretation was he has 1 shot at nullifying each new buff at whatever % his sig states. Same goes for permanent buffs, he would have 1 chance to nullify it after approx 1 second of it being applied.

This^ I had dr s r5 before 12.0 and afterwards re-ranked him. Its a set delay after a buff, but its only ever one chance best I can tell. but I think they may be a small bug if its something that was stacked, or could be stacked, and its semi permanent.

I remember using Strange against Kang when he was the boss of AQ fairly regularly. Sometimes the buff would be on for 5-8 seconds before nullifying. Kang re-applied it after a while and it would eventually get nullified after a seemingly variable period of time.
    edited August 2018
    Primmer79 wrote: »

This^ I had dr s r5 before 12.0 and afterwards re-ranked him. Its a set delay after a buff, but its only ever one chance best I can tell. but I think they may be a small bug if its something that was stacked, or could be stacked, and its semi permanent.

You may be onto something with this stacked buff thing. I've seen it before where a buff will linger only to get stacked and then a group falls off at once.

To my previous example, I did have a habit of fighting Kang noded, sometimes with the armor node active. Maybe the two buffs intermingled to cause the effect I mentioned earlier.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    Wait... Dr Strange is in this game?

Dr. Zola
  • LurkerLurker Posts: 196
    DrZola wrote: »
    Wait... Dr Strange is in this game?

Dr. Zola

No, but they found a decent Dr. Strange impersonator to stand in for him.
  • Alakzar117Alakzar117 Posts: 29
    I want to weigh in as well as a long time Dr. Strange main. It certainly seems to me like it's a passive attempt to nullify the buffs. Nothing to do with attacking or blocking, I've nullified as I casually walked back toward opponents for instance. It's almost definitely on a timer.

I have him at max dupe and if I had to guess, the rate at which I nullify seems like one of two possibilities.
    1. Every three seconds that the buff is active I'll attempt to get rid of it.
    2. Strange is always throwing the nullifies at opponents, and the nullify is separately rolled for each buff active.

I suspect it's the first because it makes it easier to consolidate the mechanic when the opponent has multiple buffs at once. I don't seem to get rid of all Venom's buffs in a go, more like each of them get a shot at living.