**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Summoner Appreciation Week Discussion

Comments

• TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    This is exactly why it’s not enough. I’m still not appreciated or happy and the same problems just keep on happening.

Anytime I try to do something worthwhile in this fmgane it goes down and I have to refight and heal or back out and do it all over again.

R.I.P. time, effort and resources again. It’s to the point where it’s not even worth trying any new content anymore because I’m more likely to get screwed than not.

kwpxtkja92ft.png
    y9izva1nyxcr.png

• WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    edited August 2018
    Jaffacaked wrote: »
    Levels are based on progression over time. That's not a value judgment on the Players. Level 60 people are not better, therefore more important, than Level 6 people. Do not assume what I do and do not need or make. It's not helping your case. If people are prevented from playing, the effect is the same. They can't play. Time and effort is the same in the real world. It's not separated by Tiers.

Lol you’re ridiculous. I don’t need to assume that because you prove it post by post. This has nothing to do with importance it’s about what was lost. You can’t lose what you never had. Level 6 players aren’t getting 10k 5 star shards a week but higher level players are.

How exactly was it lost if you need to earn it? It's not owed on a given. Not when we're talking about War and Arenas. You're not owed what you don't compete for. You can't assume it's yours until you put up the Points/Wins.

Ok then when someone gets injured an has time off work an gets compensation why do they also compensate for loss of earnings when that person hasn't worked it ?

@GroundedWisdom can you answer my question ?

It's not a job. It's a game.

But that what compensation is, doesn't matter if it's a game or not. You compensated for lost revenue, items etc. Kenan have even compensates many times before for things we should of earned but couldn't. Case an point is the Merc missions.

It does matter. It's a game, not a job. It's not lost wages. It's not a Salary.
    Mercs was an Event that had the same Rewards. You do it, you get the Rewards. It's not based on how many Points you put up in relation to how many others put up. If you were affected, you got the same as everyone else.
    There are calculations going around for War and Arenas when no one is guaranteed those Rewards. I can do every Arena for 3 years and I'm not guaranteed Rewards from the next unless I put up enough Points.

That reasoning does not necessarily justify doing nothing to compensate in said areas of the game. Sure its based off of other players scores, but that doesn't mean that doing nothing is a solution. I'm right with you on the fact that it really isn't possible to calculate what people missed out in wars and arena, however, I don't see the solution to be ignoring potential rewards that were missed in those modes. By doing that they are ignoring the two modes of the game with the highest potential rewards. People that missed out on those rewards aren't going to be happy and justifiably so. The problem we have is that instead of even partially compensating players for the missed rewards in arena and AW they completely ignored them and did nothing which, as I've stated above, is not a solution at all.
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,140 ★★★★
    Summoner appreciation week is turning into summoner maintenance month
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    You gotta love that 20% Appreciation boost though! LOL

Phones were over heating, can't do much/any arenas. Game is down non stop, always kicked from arena....still. So for those who suffered all that, you have little battle chips to capitalize on. Such a great reward
  • BirdReynoldsBirdReynolds Posts: 527 ★★★
    @Thought50 finally reappeared. I can barely do arenas again. Submitted a ticket and they responded saying the issue was resolved, sent me a link to an article about the iPhone X overheating (I don’t have an X, I’m not rich like Kabam), and also a broken link about something. BUT I found the forum thread. https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/85718/ios-19-1-lag-crashing-and-performance-investigation#latest
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    Werewrym wrote: »
    Levels are based on progression over time. That's not a value judgment on the Players. Level 60 people are not better, therefore more important, than Level 6 people. Do not assume what I do and do not need or make. It's not helping your case. If people are prevented from playing, the effect is the same. They can't play. Time and effort is the same in the real world. It's not separated by Tiers.

Lol you’re ridiculous. I don’t need to assume that because you prove it post by post. This has nothing to do with importance it’s about what was lost. You can’t lose what you never had. Level 6 players aren’t getting 10k 5 star shards a week but higher level players are.

How exactly was it lost if you need to earn it? It's not owed on a given. Not when we're talking about War and Arenas. You're not owed what you don't compete for. You can't assume it's yours until you put up the Points/Wins.

Ok then when someone gets injured an has time off work an gets compensation why do they also compensate for loss of earnings when that person hasn't worked it ?

But that what compensation is, doesn't matter if it's a game or not. You compensated for lost revenue, items etc. Kenan have even compensates many times before for things we should of earned but couldn't. Case an point is the Merc missions.

Mercs was an Event that had the same Rewards. You do it, you get the Rewards. It's not based on how many Points you put up in relation to how many others put up. If you were affected, you got the same as everyone else.
    There are calculations going around for War and Arenas when no one is guaranteed those Rewards. I can do every Arena for 3 years and I'm not guaranteed Rewards from the next unless I put up enough Points.

That reasoning does not necessarily justify doing nothing to compensate in said areas of the game. Sure its based off of other players scores, but that doesn't mean that doing nothing is a solution. I'm right with you on the fact that it really isn't possible to calculate what people missed out in wars and arena, however, I don't see the solution to be ignoring potential rewards that were missed in those modes. By doing that they are ignoring the two modes of the game with the highest potential rewards. People that missed out on those rewards aren't going to be happy and justifiably so. The problem we have is that instead of even partially compensating players for the missed rewards in arena and AW they completely ignored them and did nothing which, as I've stated above, is not a solution at all.

They did do something, in the form of allowing people to select what they needed. You could also choose a Universal Package for all areas. You can't calculate potential Rewards in a competition that is Ranked and based on performance.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    There's a fundamental difference between what you can potentially put up, and what you're owed.
  • axelelf_1axelelf_1 Posts: 775 ★★★
    Between the terrible offers, terrible "compensation," game outages, quartered SA time, and everything else, I think Kabam is drawing a clear line in the sand. We can either accept that they rule, or we can quit. After the last months fiasco's and the failed logout/boycott, they're swooping in to make their dominance clear. At least, that's what this Summoner Appreciation event tells me. And if they're not, and they actually think this is "appreciation" then ... I'm honestly lost for (unbannable) words.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★

They did do something, in the form of allowing people to select what they needed. You could also choose a Universal Package for all areas. You can't calculate potential Rewards in a competition that is Ranked and based on performance.

And you can’t hand out some incredibly minor packages as “compensation” and expect veteran players that can potentially earn 4-5x that per week to be happy, especially when part of what we are being compensated for - the excessive downtime (and it is incredibly excessive when compared to many, many other games) is still randomly coming up several times a week
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    There's a simple solution to all the unrest in the community... I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. Bracketed compensation. Will there still be some people who don't like this method? Of course, you can't please everyone. Will some people get more compensation? Yes, but that's the way it should be.

That doesn't solve the problem of dissatisfaction so much as it shifts it to different people. And I wouldn't bet money on which group of players is larger, if the intended goal is to reduce the number of players dissatisfied.

It *might* be more fair in a game-balance sense (it is in my judgment), but the only reason for implementing such a system would be if you were willing to implement your idea of fairness in spite of community reaction, not because of it.

There's no such thing as a simple solution that simultaneously satisfies popularity and principles. If there were, we wouldn't need principles.
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    j7ssdohq2ryd.png
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    edited August 2018
    DarthPhal wrote: »
    j7ssdohq2ryd.png

So the calendar was Summoner Appreciation too? As was Gwenpool Goes to the Movies? Someone needs to tell the other mods.

Also, as a general rule, it isn’t cool to post DMs from
    others on the forums.

Dr. Zola
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    fyc2x8ark7me.jpeg
  • WhathappenedWhathappened Posts: 747 ★★★
    Well if Summoner appreciation week is supposed to be compensation for the last 2 months they really missed the mark. It's okay if you are a newer players but if you have been playing seriously for 2 plus years the rewards aren't much. The impact of this compensation is negligible on my main account but is just nice on my new account. Pretty sad really.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    There's a simple solution to all the unrest in the community... I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. Bracketed compensation. Will there still be some people who don't like this method? Of course, you can't please everyone. Will some people get more compensation? Yes, but that's the way it should be.

That doesn't solve the problem of dissatisfaction so much as it shifts it to different people. And I wouldn't bet money on which group of players is larger, if the intended goal is to reduce the number of players dissatisfied.

It *might* be more fair in a game-balance sense (it is in my judgment), but the only reason for implementing such a system would be if you were willing to implement your idea of fairness in spite of community reaction, not because of it.

There's no such thing as a simple solution that simultaneously satisfies popularity and principles. If there were, we wouldn't need principles.

While I do understand your point, I do believe that there would be far less dissatisfied players using bracketed compensation. Obviously the people that would get frustrated would be those that missed a cutoff by some small margin... It sucks, yeah but lines have to be drawn somewhere as they were with 12.0. Like I've said before I missed the 5* awakening gem for 12.0 by less than 1k rating, let me tell you it sucked, but I didn't complain because I realized there had to be a cutoff and I still got relatively good compensation.

In the case of 19.0 compensation there wasn't even an attempt to compensate everyone. They just gave out a generic package that only worked to appropriately compensate a very small portion of players. And for the rest of us, it really does absolutely nothing. Like I mentioned in my previous post that you quoted, it makes absolutely no sense to start putting out compensation that "might not be for you." They were able to compensate far more players with the bracketed system at 12.0.

There may be better ways to go about compensation that are far less simple than a bracketed system yet far more complex, but I really doubt that Kabam would try something any more complex than a bracketed system based on prestige or rating. My main point is that they could have satisfied far more players than they did in this compensation, but they failed to do so.
    fyc2x8ark7me.jpeg

he = it

akw8ff85ud07.gif
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    Actually, apologies to @DarthPhal for the point about posting DMs—I didn’t realize that was an actual forums post and am even more surprised. To borrow from Korg, the only thing that makes sense about all this “appreciation” is that nothing makes sense.

Dr. Zola
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★
    Suede wrote: »
    j7ssdohq2ryd.png

Haha the solution seems to be to just call all parts of the game compensation. Appreciation week = compensation. Login calendar = compensation. 10 year anniversary event = compensation.

Also love that the response to all complaints is that we are all wrong and that the compensation was actually great...

The confensation needed much improvement

While I do understand your point, I do believe that there would be far less dissatisfied players using bracketed compensation. Obviously the people that would get frustrated would be those that missed a cutoff by some small margin... It sucks, yeah but lines have to be drawn somewhere as they were with 12.0.

For the record, in 12.0.1 many players complained about bracketed compensation that were not close to the cutoff, but opposed it on principle, something that has happened at other times as well. Setting aside the issue of the validity of that position, those people do exist and in significant numbers. There is probably significant overlap with the "rich get richer" people when it comes to things like uncollected crystals, and that contingent is actually pretty big.

Again: the question I'm discussing here is not who's right or wrong, but specifically whether there's an overwhelming consensus in one direction. I don't believe there is one here.

While I do understand your point, I do believe that there would be far less dissatisfied players using bracketed compensation. Obviously the people that would get frustrated would be those that missed a cutoff by some small margin... It sucks, yeah but lines have to be drawn somewhere as they were with 12.0.

For the record, in 12.0.1 many players complained about bracketed compensation that were not close to the cutoff, but opposed it on principle, something that has happened at other times as well. Setting aside the issue of the validity of that position, those people do exist and in significant numbers. There is probably significant overlap with the "rich get richer" people when it comes to things like uncollected crystals, and that contingent is actually pretty big.

Again: the question I'm discussing here is not who's right or wrong, but specifically whether there's an overwhelming consensus in one direction. I don't believe there is one here.

It's not about the rich getting richer, it's about fairly compensating players for what they missed out on... I hope we can both at least agree that Kabam did not do a good job of this with their appreciation event.
  • sha2356__sha2356__ Posts: 82
    Suede wrote: »
    j7ssdohq2ryd.png

Haha the solution seems to be to just call all parts of the game compensation. Appreciation week = compensation. Login calendar = compensation. 10 year anniversary event = compensation.

Also love that the response to all complaints is that we are all wrong and that the compensation was actually great...

Seriously, this is a gosh darn joke (don't want to be further banned from the forums). They can enjoy not another dime from me and many others

It's not about the rich getting richer, it's about fairly compensating players for what they missed out on... I hope we can both at least agree that Kabam did not do a good job of this with their appreciation event.

Again: it is not a question of how you or I see this, I was stating what I believe to be the fact that many players do not view bracketed compensation the same way, and you aren't going to convince them all to change their minds. Bracketed compensation isn't controversy-free. You have to decide to look at all of those thousands of players who won't agree, and actively decide to do something they won't like and never will. That's an unavoidable fact of being a game designer, and I'd bet a lot of real money this is true in this case as well.

It is easy for us to "agree" when Kabam does something wrong. But hidden under that agreement is a lot of disagreement on what they should have done instead. Nowhere was that more evident than after 12.0. There are a lot of players who think 12.0.1 was the best example of the players changing Kabam's mind, and what seems to me to be an equal number of players who think it was all for nothing, because everything they hated about 12.0 wasn't changed.

I know what I would have done, and it looks nothing like what Kabam did, what Kabam described, and how Kabam managed the situation. But I have no illusions about the playerbase being in love with how I would have done it. I would hope that I would have managed expectations and perspectives better, but I doubt an overwhelming majority of players would be "happy" with my decisions. To be straight-up honest, I'd do them anyway.

It is precisely because there is no good solution to the kinds of problems players have been experiencing that I believe you're supposed to avoid them at all cost. And I mean that literally: at all cost.

Which is probably why game operations manager is not on my resume.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    Brackets have their own issues. When they did that last time people lost their minds because it was very unfair. Another problem caused by developers who don't really play and don't bother to ask the community about how to implement these things (in advance). They've learned nothing. I'd make a few suggestions on how it could work, but the only people reading this either agree or are just here to argue. Good news is this thread will be closed in a couple more days when "appreciation" is over.
This discussion has been closed.