**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Don't say nobody told you: Omega Red Edition

ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
Look, people.

There are days in this game, Arena cycles and character releases, that are meta-shifting.

If you have been here long enough, you know. You just do. Some characters are more subtle. Their greatness sneaks up on you. Like Void. People kinda knew that Void was good, but it took a few months before it truly sunk in for the entire community.

Others are more obvious. Like, say, Hyperion. Most people knew from Day 1 that character was just the perfect offensive weapon.

Then, there's today. Yes, today.

Omega Red.

Folks. I never know where the game is going, as far as the meta is concerned. That keeps it interesting, you know? If folks don't like character-defining meta shifts that will change how you play, I don't know what to tell you. MCoC has basically always done it, ever since the release of Hyperion. The meta shifts periodically.

So. Omega Red.

This character is now...man.

This character is the answer to this question: "Hey! What if I took Void's DOT, Wolverine's Regenerative capabilities, and Captain America Infinity War's ability to make other characters awesome, AND COMBINED IT INTO ONE CHARACTER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

FOR EMPHASIS: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know what else to tell y'all. THE META DONE CHANGED.

Why?

Omega Red is here.

Comments

• KDTrippeKDTrippe Posts: 68
    Omega Red looks amazing! Everyone forgets Hyperion was slept on when he first came out tho.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    JC_ wrote: »
    Dude, can you stop? 😐

I don’t appreciate you talking me into wasting tons of money every time a good character comes out, you’ve done this to me like three times. 🙈😂

LOL

@JC_ , man...I went for him based on 90s nostalgia, you know? Never thought that they could replicate how dangerous Omega Red felt in the comics in this particular game, even after reading the Character Spotlight.

Man. I never want anyone to feel like I am saying "spend your money." Because that is definitely a personal choice.

I am saying this: If a person is spending money on this game because they want to and enjoy it, this is not the time to question that decision.

Because if you get the character -- and especially if you dupe him -- man. I am laughing right now, because my gosh
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    Haha I’m not reading any more, im trying to hold my Benjamins for chasing Emma for defense. 😎😜

Now you’re going to have me contemplating dropping an Odin on omega. Especially since he has that synergy with my Red Skull

Haha I’m not reading any more, im trying to hold my Benjamins for chasing Emma for defense. 😎😜

Now you’re going to have me contemplating dropping an Odin on omega. Especially since he has that synergy with my Red Skull

Here's the thing: I cannot see a scenario where this guy isn't an elite attacker. I don't think it's possible for him to not be an elite, boss-killing machine, unless -- repeat, unless -- a node has Heal Block.

I don't even know how he isn't an elite killing machine as an attacker if you can't Heal Block him
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    I tried for Omega Red but got Korg. Can’t complain, but those guys trying to fight him on defense sure will.
  • Epsilon3Epsilon3 Posts: 1,138 ★★★
    I think most people are upset (myself included) that both Aggresive Regenerarion and Brute Force managed to find their way as nodes for the Uncollected fight.

See in a fight like Emma Frost Oscilate makes sense. It plays on the eb and flow of her offensive and defensive playstyle.

Ghost’s high attack and Crit buffs emphasized her damage potential

Looking at Red Skull’s Explosive Personality it helped players think “oh don’t hit his block that will hurt”

And we can see this going back to others but Omega Red is literally begging to be hard countered in matchups. Granted, while Vision is probably the best counter for UC-OR Sentinel or Nebula will likely be more beneficial in the long run due to better defensive play options as opposed to Vision’s “in your face” nature of his abilities. Nebula actually encouraging more passivity and Sentinel having better Damage outright by a wide margin. But the Brute Force is only there as a scare tactic so you don’t cower in the corner with Quake or Void. Now in Master we have a precedent where a Hyperion (I think it was nameless) had a node that the UC did not. The node made the fight much harder than heroic but UC lacking it compensated by being a much stronger version with less nodes than master but more than heroic and was a nice middle ground imo. But Kabam’s decision with UC-OR is a blank “sink or swim” statement
  • KillerRino19KillerRino19 Posts: 370 ★★
    ESF wrote: »
    KDTrippe wrote: »
    Omega Red looks amazing! Everyone forgets Hyperion was slept on when he first came out tho.

The cool thing about it is that as terrifying as Omega Red is -- and trust me, folks: In the hands of a skilled player, there might not be a more terrifying character in this game -- he has easy and effective counters.

Heal Block champions like the Visions and Sentinel and Red Skull, pure DPS champions like Hyperion or OG Thor or Hulk or Spark or Star-Lord...those characters will be effective. I can see various other scenarios where a pimped out OG Spider-Man, or Miles Morales, can also be pretty effective because of their ability to Evade and create space. Iceman. Cap (IW) and Iron Man (IW) -- Iron Man, especially, because of the Heal Block.

Make no mistake: Omega Red isn't OP. The above listed characters will be effective against him, to varying degrees and depending on the skill of the user.

But.

But.

But.

In the hands of a skilled user, Omega Red can -- and will -- kill pretty much anything in this game. Let there be absolutely no doubt, none, absolutely zero, about that.

I think the best counter to him is Gulk you can stay close to him because of Face Me, also pretty good damage and heal block on sp 1
    V1PER1987 wrote: »
    I tried for Omega Red but got Korg. Can’t complain, but those guys trying to fight him on defense sure will.

I need to do more -- a lot more -- testing on Korg. I have him sitting there, but with me not playing AW, he's behind a few other characters for extensive testing
    ESF wrote: »

The cool thing about it is that as terrifying as Omega Red is -- and trust me, folks: In the hands of a skilled player, there might not be a more terrifying character in this game -- he has easy and effective counters.

Heal Block champions like the Visions and Sentinel and Red Skull, pure DPS champions like Hyperion or OG Thor or Hulk or Spark or Star-Lord...those characters will be effective. I can see various other scenarios where a pimped out OG Spider-Man, or Miles Morales, can also be pretty effective because of their ability to Evade and create space. Iceman. Cap (IW) and Iron Man (IW) -- Iron Man, especially, because of the Heal Block.

Make no mistake: Omega Red isn't OP. The above listed characters will be effective against him, to varying degrees and depending on the skill of the user.

But.

But.

But.

In the hands of a skilled user, Omega Red can -- and will -- kill pretty much anything in this game. Let there be absolutely no doubt, none, absolutely zero, about that.

I think the best counter to him is Gulk you can stay close to him because of Face Me, also pretty good damage and heal block on sp 1

BOOM.

I always, always, always forget Gulk -- thanks for pointing that out. I think that's a good thing, by the way -- every character should have counters. Doesn't mean they aren't effective at what they do, but they should be able to be countered.
  • Epsilon3Epsilon3 Posts: 1,138 ★★★
    I’d beleive in a combination of AoU Vision (I prefer him over the Beta version) and Gulk are the best counters to the UC-OR but I give the advantage to Vision as realistically you remove the Sp2 death field from being a thing but also because heal blocking him consistently means the only timer you have to actively worry about is brute force as you’d have to stay near him for 20(!) seconds continuously for death field to apply and his regen timers are meaningless

Gulk works too but overall you’d still take net damage from the field but it’s more forgiving despite still baiting somewhat to avoid the SP2 field which is far worse than the normal one as it activates without 10 spores and increases his limit to 30. Gulk’s Regeneration through Face Me is impressive and makes baiting easier but overall neither one is flawless despite his tool set being nearly custom made to be a counter for him
    Off topic, but I kind of hate the idea of hard counters.

For instance, MODOK is meant to be a good defender. There should definitely be champs who make him easier, but I hate that there are champs that make him a complete joke.

He should be somewhat tough even if you fight him with Blade or Killmonger, it should be about skill rather than who you have on your roster. They make him a complete joke.

Same for most of the OP defenders.

Just my opinion. Thoughts? @ESF
    Don’t want to derail the thread, that Gulk comment just got me thinking.
    @BitterSteel : Thanks for popping in, taking the time. I always appreciate the feedback of people who play elite/high-tier AW -- you/they are playing a different game, at times.

What makes Omega Red a litte different, in my opinion, is the type of damage he deals -- it's Degeneration and LifeSteal. It can't be stopped, unless maybe Agent Venom can Tenacity his way through it.

Again: I freely admit there are node in the highest tiers of AW that I haven't seen. It is entirely possible that there may be one to really put the brakes in Omega Red. As noted above, there are definitely counters, including Heal Block.

But this guy can kill everything. It might not be immediate, but death is coming just the same with this guy. You flat-out cannot Bleed him. You just cannot do that, under any circumstance. Ability Accuracy for the Death Spores cannot be reduced...on offense, this guy is an absolute load and I will be curious to see what the community finds to slow him down on AW defense, knowing attack teams almost always have to have a few Blades
    Off topic, but I kind of hate the idea of hard counters.

For instance, MODOK is meant to be a good defender. There should definitely be champs who make him easier, but I hate that there are champs that make him a complete joke.

He should be somewhat tough even if you fight him with Blade or Killmonger, it should be about skill rather than who you have on your roster. They make him a complete joke.

Same for most of the OP defenders.

Just my opinion. Thoughts? @ESF

Huh. Let me ponder that. I like the question a lot.
  • KDTrippeKDTrippe Posts: 68
    Omega Red in AQ sounds fun
    Omega Red in AQ sounds fun

When I get him to 4/40 -- like many people, I need gold like humans need oxygen -- I look forward to seeing what he does against Kingpin, who has been slightly annoying to me this season

I mean if you ask me, he looks to rely heavily on synergies, and likely signature. So I have my hesitations. Your team can only fit so many champs that need 2-3 synergy to truly be themselves. I hope I'm wrong and he can be extremely effective with no or 1 synergy.

Omega Red doesn't necessarily need the synergies on his end; he hooks other characters up, though. People already thought the Sabretooth synergy was legit. Spoiler Alert: IT FREAKING IS. Whoa. It will also make a 5/50 Wolverine kinda terrifying against characters who Bleed. Red Skull still could use a little more "oomph," but the synergy at least helps him deal more damage, at a cost.

What I said earlier in another thread is this: You would play an unduped Omega Red differently, more based on his regen/survivability. You're going to get some DOT at various points, but not as consistently or the level of lethality as when he is awakened. That doesn't make him bad, though. It just makes him less good, if that makes sense?
    zeezee57 wrote: »
    I'm not banking on him being the best champ or anything like that, but I've been waiting for Omega since i started playing. If you go back to me joining these forums one of my first posts was in the character wishlist thread with a picture of him. I'm grinding the 4* arena for him and just 100% 5.1 for an AG just for him. If he's everything you believe him to be I'll be over the moon. I'm expecting insane survivability and im planning to own map 5 and biohazard paths in quests with him. Most of all though I can't wait to have a blast playing my favorite villain from the X-men cartoons I watched as a kid.

Left unsaid earlier: He is absolutely a blast to play. The animations are really smooth, really fluid. He is absolutely fun to play, too. Not just effective, but fun to play
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 762 ★★★
    Kabam needs to hire you to write their champion spotlights.
  • Considering kabam make specific champions you want pretty much impossible to get, i dont see him being much of an issue
  • AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
    This kinda hype is what makes me love this damn game!! I'll probably never get the guy n I don't care so much this post right here made it worth it. Favorite post since joining the forums