**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Should Kabam change Doctor Strange back to how he originally was?

Comments

• Epsilon3Epsilon3 Posts: 1,138 ★★★
    Yes
    Hang on

If Rulk, Morningstar and GUILLOTINE can all have additional damage or life steal. scaled off damage dealt then DS should be allowed to scale back to 12.0 no problem. After leadership dissolved he became much harder to use as losing his impenetrable block left him open a lot more.

I actually probably should have hit no as he deserves better than 12.0 given he’s such an outdated character that they basically relaxed DS 2.0 with SS-DS
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    No
    I don't believe it's even possible at this point. So many changes since. We have a new system. For that matter, it wasn't just the Life Steal. It was a combination of everything. Then there's the situation that he and a few other Champs created, that they're not likely willing to risk again.

Like what? The old trinity?

Some Champs are powerful in their own way, but those ways are conditional. There doesn't exist a Champ that is as OP all-around as much as they were. They were the definitive OP.
    Those Champs created a situation that spells death for any Dev. They caused them to lose control of their content. The Champs, in combination with the old Percentage System along with the Synergies, literally couldn't be challenged. They couldn't create future content that challenged them because they were exponentially powerful.
    There's only so far you can go with two Base Stats. Attack and Health. All Abilities and challenges center around altering those in some way. When you numerically increase those Stats in a way that can't be challenged by anything within the game, that's a huge problem. Not only for the Devs, but for the longevity of the game.
    Hence the nerfs, as well as the DR/Flat Rate System.

I don't see how old Dr. Strange would fit this description. He had some amazing power gain, awesome regeneration with a mix of some great damage & buff removal. Aside from the Buff Removal... this sounds a lot like someone I know... Blade. If Blade isn't overpowered (and I don't believe he is in the slightest), why would old Dr. Strange be?

When you isolate and minimize what he had, sure. When you add one plus one plus one, put'em together and what do you got? Bibbity bobbity boo. Lol.

Wut?

Lol. I was making the point that the Abilities don't seem OP when you look at them separately. Put them together as he functioned, and it was OP
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Yes
    I don't believe it's even possible at this point. So many changes since. We have a new system. For that matter, it wasn't just the Life Steal. It was a combination of everything. Then there's the situation that he and a few other Champs created, that they're not likely willing to risk again.

Some Champs are powerful in their own way, but those ways are conditional. There doesn't exist a Champ that is as OP all-around as much as they were. They were the definitive OP.
    Those Champs created a situation that spells death for any Dev. They caused them to lose control of their content. The Champs, in combination with the old Percentage System along with the Synergies, literally couldn't be challenged. They couldn't create future content that challenged them because they were exponentially powerful.
    There's only so far you can go with two Base Stats. Attack and Health. All Abilities and challenges center around altering those in some way. When you numerically increase those Stats in a way that can't be challenged by anything within the game, that's a huge problem. Not only for the Devs, but for the longevity of the game.

I don't see how old Dr. Strange would fit this description. He had some amazing power gain, awesome regeneration with a mix of some great damage & buff removal. Aside from the Buff Removal... this sounds a lot like someone I know... Blade. If Blade isn't overpowered (and I don't believe he is in the slightest), why would old Dr. Strange be?

When you isolate and minimize what he had, sure. When you add one plus one plus one, put'em together and what do you got? Bibbity bobbity boo. Lol.

Wut?

Lol. I was making the point that the Abilities don't seem OP when you look at them separately. Put them together as he functioned, and it was OP

OP back at 12.0... we are now at 21.0 and his abilities would no longer be OP compared to some of the champions we see these days.
    No
    Werewrym wrote: »

Wut?

OP back at 12.0... we are now at 21.0 and his abilities would no longer be OP compared to some of the champions we see these days.

Oh, yes they would. Especially now that there's a new system. If he functioned the way he did before, it would be more OP. Hence the comment that they couldn't likely restore him if they wanted to. The nerfs weren't the only thing that changed. 21.0, and the argument is still made that he wasn't OP. He indeed was.
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 762 ★★★
    No
    Dj_mph wrote: »
    Look there is a reason that there is Not a 5* wolvie or Scarlet Witch! They would be to powerful. And would dominate the game even more than Blade.

Not yet, but everything is possible now. With 5* strange out the chance to revert him back to pre 12.0 is very unlikely
    No

Wut?

Oh, yes they would. Especially now that there's a new system. If he functioned the way he did before, it would be more OP. Hence the comment that they couldn't likely restore him if they wanted to. The nerfs weren't the only thing that changed. 21.0, and the argument is still made that he wasn't OP. He indeed was.

Could you be specific on how he would be overpowered? Just because there's a new system doesn't mean his attack is going to skyrocket to the high heavens if he was unnerfed. All he'd have is a faster Power Gain and Buff Cycle. Even if Kabam decided that his pre-nerf Life Steal was too much then they could still leave it as is and he'd still be great but not OP.

To be honest, I don't really want to explain it anymore. I've been having the same discussion for over a year, and I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point.
    Yes

Wut?

Could you be specific on how he would be overpowered? Just because there's a new system doesn't mean his attack is going to skyrocket to the high heavens if he was unnerfed. All he'd have is a faster Power Gain and Buff Cycle. Even if Kabam decided that his pre-nerf Life Steal was too much then they could still leave it as is and he'd still be great but not OP.

To be honest, I don't really want to explain it anymore. I've been having the same discussion for over a year, and I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point.

I'm not saying there aren't certain aspects of him that might be over-powered. But on the whole, they went way to far with his nerf to the point of making him useless. The fact that no one plays him anymore proves that. He needs to get back at least some of his pre 12.0 abilities because currently he is just lame.
    No

Wut?

I'm not saying there aren't certain aspects of him that might be over-powered. But on the whole, they went way to far with his nerf to the point of making him useless. The fact that no one plays him anymore proves that. He needs to get back at least some of his pre 12.0 abilities because currently he is just lame.

I don't think he was necessarily hit too hard, in the sense that they wanted to take him down more than the others. I think the changes that were necessary had more of an effect because his previous Abilities were tied so closely together to each other.
  • Nemesis666Nemesis666 Posts: 169
    Dr. Strange may have been slightly over-powered at the time, but it did not warrant the heavy nerf that he got. If they reverted him back to as he was pre 12.0 I have no doubt he would not be over-powered compared to the new champs we have today. As @DrZola pointed out, we have champs like Ghost and Domino who do far more damage than Dr. Strange could ever dream of doing.

It's not about the damage he can deal it's about his Regen abilities . A 5* strange will simply not die.
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    Nemesis666 wrote: »
    Dr. Strange may have been slightly over-powered at the time, but it did not warrant the heavy nerf that he got. If they reverted him back to as he was pre 12.0 I have no doubt he would not be over-powered compared to the new champs we have today. As @DrZola pointed out, we have champs like Ghost and Domino who do far more damage than Dr. Strange could ever dream of doing.

It's not about the damage he can deal it's about his Regen abilities . A 5* strange will simply not die.

*AHEM*

BLADE
    KING GROOT
    MourningStar
    X-23
    No
    Epsilon3 wrote: »

*AHEM*

BLADE
    KING GROOT
    MourningStar
    X-23

Their Regen doesn't operate the same.
    Yes

*AHEM*

BLADE
    KING GROOT
    MourningStar
    X-23

GUILLOTINE!!!
    NUFF SAID!
    No

*AHEM*

BLADE
    KING GROOT
    MourningStar
    X-23

GUILLOTINE!!!
    NUFF SAID!

You mean the 10% chance to Life Steal? As much as I love her, try it sometime.
    No
    Strange literally cycled without end, gaining Life Steal and Power Gain infinitely.
    No
    No matter how you compare him with Champs now, he was an unlimited Regen machine capable of going back to full Health within a cycle, with Counterspell, Power Gain, and Fury.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    I’m curious...how many of the commenters on this thread had Doc and how often did you use him before 12.0? That would help to provide some context to the discussion.

I will start: I got 4* Doc in the first basic arena he was available (December 2016?). Like an idiot, I didn’t run the second arena (mainly because the other basics available around that time were SW and AoUVision, both of whom I played my thumbs off to get).

Doc was my bread and butter for AQ and SQ and was an absolute dream to use. He was a terrific utility champ with elegant design. Still, you could easily screw up if you didn’t understand how he worked; I had one alliance member who kept duping his but could never get the hang of him, so he kept him on the bench. Made me weep.

Much like some of today’s champs, there was work to do to line everything up, but with one key exception: Doc was far less dependent on RNG because you could count on his regular buff cycles. No need to finish missions, get “lucky” or hope things procd for you (only possible exception would be Counterspell, which owners of a duped Doc enjoyed). That put a lot of his effectiveness down to player control, not algorithm control.

The key attribute for me was his regen+organic power gain, which compensated for his lack of tankiness outside his armor buff. Even so, the effectiveness of his regen had limits, and if you made mistakes with Doc you could pay dearly for it. He was relatively low health and fragile most of the time, which meant having a strong bobbing and weaving game mattered to keep alive until you could steal health.

I think there’s a fair amount of revisionist history surrounding Doc. He wasn’t like duped SW, who could be played with simple parry-combo mechanics to tremendous effect (and still can). He wasnt like duped Thor, who could end many fights with just a handful of parry-armor breaks. You had to know the ebb and flow of the fight and of Doc, and that took a fair amount of skill and timing and evading.

In my opinion, the evisceration of Doc was wrong. It continues to be wrong.

I don’t have hard statistics available, but I suspect his regen would have a tough time outpacing Blade (who simply holds block) or OR (a little more complicated, but able to regen massive health chunks) or some of the other regen champs. His attack is a pale shadow of that of the damage dealers who currently stalk the game with regular 5-figure crits. And his armor up buff simply looks like a relic in the post-12.0 world.

My thoughts. Not the final word, but I don’t think Doc would be anything other than a useful champ today.

Dr. Zola
    No
    So you still disagree with the nerf because you used him. Gotcha.
    Yes
    @DrZola I unfortunately did not play the arena for Dr. Strange and thus hunted for him for many months... Up to that point, I had been using 3* SW and Dr Strange for the BP synergy. When I finally pulled him I was ecstatic because it meant that I had a viable champ for Wolverine in RoL. I took him to r4 as fast as I could and entered RoL with him.

I used 3* SL with BP for all fights except Juggs and Wolvy. Both of those champs I used Dr. Strange on. I did a 40 minute fight against Wolverine only using Dr. Strange sp3. They were long fights, but it was worth it for the rewards at the time.

I just remember Dr. Strange being one of the most fun champions to play. I loved throwing a sp2 while in fury mode and seeing those armor breaks stack up. I loved taking advantage of the extended fury mastery to throw a sp3 when both fury and power/health steal buffs were active. I loved have 7 seconds where I could block all incoming attacks and take 0 damage. I loved using MD with Dr. Strange and being able to, if you got lucky, throw a sp2 while fury was active stack those armor breaks, and then throw another sp2 right afterwards when power/health steal were active and healing for a large amount of health.

It was a sad day for me when he got nerfed, because he was by far one of the most fun champions to play with. If you used him right, he was very powerful, but as you say, not everyone liked his style. I don't see Dr. Strange as overpowered especially with champs like Blade, Domino, and Corvus who deal far more damage and/or heal far more than Strange could. I think the vast majority of people that want Strange back don't want him back because they think he would be OP or even extremely useful in today's meta. We want him back because he was a champ who had a lot of utility, and he was one of the most fun champions to play with.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 913 ★★★
    Yes
    Yes please
    Yes
    @Werewrym ah, yes...fun. That’s why we play, isn’t it?

Dr. Zola
    Yes

Was that directed at me? If so, tag me.

I disagreed with the nerf at the time because it was over the top and ignored the fact that Doc was never the plug and play OP champ SW was. I disagree with it today because it isn’t needed in today’s game of massive damage and heavy regen and resetting Doc to his old self wouldn’t come close to breaking the game.

Got it?

Dr. Zola
    edited November 2018
    No
    DrZola wrote: »

I disagreed with the nerf at the time because it was over the top and ignored the fact that Doc was never the plug and play OP champ SW was. I disagree with it today because it isn’t needed in today’s game of massive damage and heavy regen and resetting Doc to his old self wouldn’t come close to breaking the game.

Got it?

Dr. Zola
    I don't generally Tag.
    Just because his mechanics operated differently than Scarlet RNG doesn't mean he wasn't OP. Some Champs have heavy Damage. Some Champs have Regen. None have a constant, unlimited supply capable of bringing them back to full over and over in a Fight. There are limits. Perhaps a high Sig Wolverine, but that's about all he has, aside from Bleed which can be immunized. So can Regen. Life Steal however.....
    Strange had more than Regen going on. No matter how I explain it, I believe we won't see eye to eye because you think it wasn't necessary, and he should be restored. Which is fine. I just disagree.
    edited November 2018
    Yes

Got it?

Dr. Zola
    I don't generally Tag.
    Just because his mechanics operated differently than Scarlet RNG doesn't mean he wasn't OP. Some Champs have heavy Damage. Some Champs have Regen. None have a constant, unlimited supply capable of bringing them back to full over and over in a Fight. There are limits. Perhaps a high Sig Wolverine, but that's about all he has, aside from Bleed which can be immunized. So can Regen. Life Steal however.....
    Strange had more than Regen going on. No matter how I explain it, I believe we won't see eye to eye because you think it wasn't necessary, and he should be restored. Which is fine. I just disagree.

And that’s a reasonable opinion to have.

Even under the old system, Doc’s regen was easy to counter with a node like Heal Block. Newer ones that punish buff dependent champs (Buffet comes to mind) would make using him problematic today. And nodes that affect the way power is gained and nullification abilities proc would also hamstring Doc today.

But as much fun as it is to debate, it’s not going anywhere because one thing is certain: old Doc is never coming back.

Dr. Zola
  • kfd2010kfd2010 Posts: 423 ★★
    Yes
    While maybe not back to exactly where he was, he needs a little more to become relevant again. At that time, comparatively, he was God Tier. I'm not sure in game right now, he would be more powerful than a lot of our God Tier champs now. His regen was baller but you still had to wait to get there. I don't believe he ever hit as hard as someone as stark spidey. If he were like he were then now, he'd be fun, but not the best champ out there.

I'd at least support a buff to get him a bit more competitive.

Side note on DS - I enjoy using him duped with Cap IW because his counter spell does damage every time a buff is removed.
    Yes
    Man , I wait every day to bring back the Doc to greatness
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,348 ★★★★★
    edited November 2018
    Yes

Got it?

Dr. Zola
    I don't generally Tag.

You should start.

It doesn't take long, and shows a basic degree of courtesy.
  • RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★
    Yes
    It would be nice to see these classic champs un-nerfed even just a little bit. Then maybe I could have beat 5.2.4 without dropping a ridiculous amount of coin. But I guess that's why they do it.
    Yes
    I say buff back