**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

One Simple Change to Improve the Worst Champs in the Game

AxeCopFireAxeCopFire Posts: 1,115 ★★★
edited November 2018 in Suggestions and Requests
Some of the worst (Hulkbuster, Iron Patriot, Colossus) and most mediocre (Iron Man, Superior Iron Man, War Machine) champs have the Armor Up buff as one of their main abilities. One of the reason they are considered so bad is because the Armor Up buff and the armor stat in general do almost nothing. Here's why:

An artifact of version 12.0 and the subsequent back-tracking of many of the 12.0 changes, was that it left critical hits bypassing almost all armor. Kabam was going to implement a system of critical resistance, block penetration and armor penetration where every character would have varying degrees of these stats... but everyone hated it, so they removed them. You can still see these stats on every champion's info screen but they are all set to zero.

Because of this abandoned system, we were left with just critical hits and armor, with critical hits bypassing more armor than the designers of 12.0 ever intended.

This is also the reason that the Pure Skill mastery is worthless, because critical hits basically already ignore all armor anyway.

Let me show you:

s92oenve9edw.jpg

Here is Karnak with True Strike (which ignores all Armor) using a light attack on Dr. Octopus with an Armor Up buff on. 328 damage.

dfbgb4yh3k03.jpg

Here's Karnak with no True Strike using a light attack on Dr. Octopus with an Armor Up buff on. 143 damage.

Dr. Octopus' armor stat and Armor Up buff are reducing the damage by about 57%

Now here are those same hits, except as critical hits:

6rdqo9sfwmep.jpg

Critical True Strike light hit vs Armor Up: 703 damage.

vhoc1u5yaxcy.jpg

Critical light hit (no True Strike) vs Armor Up. 644 damage.

Armor only reduces the damage by about 8% in the case of a critical. In other words critical hits ignore around 85% of the damage reduction of armor (I'm not real great at math so someone correct me if that number is way off).

So, heres what I think would be a super simple, and possibly easy change (I don't know for sure how easy, because I didn't program the game) to greatly improve some of the most awful, useless and reviled champs in the game. Give the Armor Up buff a built in critical resistance of whatever amount Kabam feels is balanced, similar to the way that the Poison and Incinerate debuffs have secondary effects built into them (heal reduction and block proficiency reduction, respectively). From my experience, I almost feel that giving giving Armor Up built in critical immunity would probably even be pretty balanced... maybe a little extreme in some cases, but considering how terrible most Armor Up based characters are, it might actually give them value.

Having critical resistance when they have the Armor Buff on would greatly improve character's such as Hulkbuster, especially as defenders in war, and this change wouldn't carry over to one certain character who is already an amazing defender (Infinity War Iron Man) because he doesn't gain Armor Up buffs, he gains Armor Passives; NOT the same thing! This change would also make Pure Skill slightly less worthless... but not by much, but still...

So anyway, that's my idea. Tell me what you think.

Comments

• SceptilemaniacSceptilemaniac Posts: 1,195 ★★★★
    Absolutely brilliant.
  • BlackJ4zzBlackJ4zz Posts: 244 ★★
    Modern masterpiece, simple, well presented, Insightful, direct research and very factual. Absolutely brilliant work my man.
  • BobomanBoboman Posts: 716 ★★
    BRILLIANT
  • issamaf80issamaf80 Posts: 1,472 ★★★
    Yeah I agree with you and Maybe they Can Introduce a New Masterie : That Can Increase Attack For Every Armor Up Buff Your Champion Have ( It will Make Colossus , HulkBuster , RedSkull and Many Character Have Damage Now )
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    @RichTheMan

Need to feature this... help it get some traction.
  • FhfjghhggggjfhfjgFhfjghhggggjfhfjg Posts: 4,492 ★★★★★
    Brilliant
  • issamaf80issamaf80 Posts: 1,472 ★★★
    Let's Keep it Alive
  • MrTicTac19992008MrTicTac19992008 Posts: 566 ★★
    Makes so much sense.
    This would make CW great again.
  • Diksh619Diksh619 Posts: 227 ★★
    Agreed! @Kabam Miike @Kabam Lyra your thoughts please?
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    It shouldn't be hard to implement since OG Ultron has something similar to this
    Someone flagged me for abuse? Lolwut?
  • DidzeeDidzee Posts: 35
    Wow. Such a great idea. I am surprised that no one ever thought of this
  • KingCrooksKingCrooks Posts: 176
    @Kabam Miike @Kabam Lyra

Good way to buff all the not so great champs at once. Dudes got a point.
  • KingCrooksKingCrooks Posts: 176
    We need to get this post more attention forreal
  • weavileweavile Posts: 288
    and then the 90% armor node wall everything
  • BirdReynoldsBirdReynolds Posts: 527 ★★★
    A secondary benefit to this idea is that it gives more relevance to Iron Fist and others who rely on armor break and have fallen by the wayside. I love this idea @AxeCopFire well done.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    It’s a bold strategy, @AxeCopFire. Let’s see if it pays off...

Dr. Zola

• invasian82invasian82 Posts: 42
    idtunp31zw92.gif
  • caligarelinquocaligarelinquo Posts: 218
    Smart idea. Kudos to you good sir.
  • Jwallace25Jwallace25 Posts: 481 ★★★
    Brilliant.
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    Huh. Well done.

Would be nice to have this, although it still doesn’t really help in the current meta, as Corvus is still an armor breaker, as is Medusa, hypes, gwenpool, and killimonger has true strike, same as Corvus w/ proxima etc. I think right now Kabam is looking for changes that will bring old, “trash” champs back into a niche of the meta.

As a proud 5 star awakened (cosmic gem) Medusa owner, I can say that Kabam has been putting maybe too much value in armor break. Over the past year:

Completely shuts down killmonger
    Disables ghost’s phasing
    Breaks sentinel’s crit resistance
    Counters imiw

Those are some high tier defenders (minus ghost) and armor breakers are in high demand, as gwenpool, Medusa, Corvus, hypes etc. are still considered top of the game. 90% armor nodes, with this proposed change, will put more demand on these champs, as armor will also limit crit.

While these changes would essentially push sparky out of the meta, which is fine; he’s had his day. What it would also do, however, is cement Corvus squarely in the meta. Parry (armor break) and a combo seems average, but would be insane with this limited damage.
  • AxeCopFireAxeCopFire Posts: 1,115 ★★★
    @Mitchell35 I agree with a lot of your points, but since most Armor Up characters are tech champs, i don't have a problem with the various Cosmic champions that can armor break being considered a counter to an Armor Up/Crit Resistance character.

As Corvus is already a staple meta champ in war, a change like this would actually lower his use, be use even though he can armor break, he could still cause the opponent to activate more Armor Ups when he begins his combo after his parry, lowering his overall average damage, and using up his glaive charges on potential non-crit hits.
  • WelderofortuneWelderofortune Posts: 527 ★★
    c554v8kpiebg.png