**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Toxoplasma gondii and its link to impulsive behavior,(crystal buying).

So I realize none of this has been proven ether way, but in some study's Toxoplasma gondii can cause test subjects(Mice, Humans) to become more prone to impulsive behavior. Over the past few weeks there have been many threads that have had cats featured prominently. So my question is do you own a cat yes or no and how often do you try a desperation station crystal. This is just to satisfy my curiosity, I am not conducting a study and everything is anonymous.

Toxoplasma gondii and its link to impulsive behavior,(crystal buying). 48 votes

Yes I own a cat, and I do often go for risky crystal deals.
8% 4 votes
Yes I own a cat, and I never go for risky deals.
10% 5 votes
No I do not own a cat, and I go for risky deals.
6% 3 votes
No I do not own a cat, and I do not go for risky deals.
20% 10 votes
This poll is stupid.
35% 17 votes
What the heck is Toxoplasma gondii
18% 9 votes

Comments

• WelderofortuneWelderofortune Posts: 527 ★★
    edited November 2018
    @Mbizz

This does not seem at all interesting to you, why is that? Having a parasitic apicomplexan that could alter the way we look at risky things and then have us go for the more risky of the choices is very interesting to me.
  • WelderofortuneWelderofortune Posts: 527 ★★
    You don't need to be all that smart, I heard about on the radio on the way into work this morning it will take less then two minutes to glance over the wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

@Mbizz
  • DankestChefDankestChef Posts: 420 ★★★
    You don't need to be all that smart, I heard about on the radio on the way into work this morning it will take less then two minutes to glance over the wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

@Mbizz

cool story bro. share it with your alliance members.
  • I confused
  • Woody_federWoody_feder Posts: 584 ★★
    Just because lol
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Catalyst. Not Feline. Toxoplasmosis is not an epidemic, nor is it common enough to be a contributing factor towards opening Crystals. I'm inclined to think this Post isn't serious. My mistake if it is.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    bo6ja1jfxsy5.jpg
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,346 ★★★★★

@Mbizz

It is interesting; and don't stop learning about it. Learning is good; and parasites can and do modify their hosts' behaviour. Definitely read up on that subject - some of the things parasites do to host insects is both amazing and horrifying.

Diphyllobothrium mansonoides secretes a hormone with an effect similar to human growth hormone, and can make host rodents grow very large and fat; making it easier for predators to catch them.

Regarding toxoplasma specifically in humans, the evidence is weaker. Try reading some of the references for the Wikipedia article you cited.

Before you do however, bear in mind that most are retrospective case analysis 'studies' with almost no ability to counter their own selection bias: Because of the way it is spread, Toxoplasma is more likely to infect people who undertake higher-risk behaviours, such as driving fast, gambling... or just more pedestrian 'risks' such as not washing their hands before food preparation, despite owning/petting a cat. Or eating undercooked food.

The evidence fails to distinguish where any putative causative effect lies. But that doesn't stop it being interesting.

And do keep reading - you never know where a bit of knowledge will take you.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    AxeCopFire wrote: »
    e1saqshcfgdk.jpg

@AxeCopFire lmao