**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Is vpn app gonna get me banned

I was using vpn app to travel through global chats and after the ban wave I'm abit afraid, so using it is legal or against TOS?

Comments

• DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
    Travel through global chats? What you on about?

Why use any sort of an app just for the global chat?
  • HazemHazem Posts: 243
    Why not
  • ArtOfKhaosArtOfKhaos Posts: 59
    This is actually a good question, some work places wifi have games blocked i have on occasion used a vpn to get around this.
  • GrinderGrinder Posts: 242
    VPN's are used for many reasons, and most of them have nothing to do with games. It would be idiotic for kabam to even question vpn users, that's why them talking about account sharing is stupid as far as I'm concerned because people use global IP's all the time.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    As long as the program doesn't modify the game, you should be safe. It's been asked before.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Grinder wrote: »
    VPN's are used for many reasons, and most of them have nothing to do with games. It would be idiotic for kabam to even question vpn users, that's why them talking about account sharing is stupid as far as I'm concerned because people use global IP's all the time.

That's a bit harsh. I could say something similar about mentioning account sharing in connection with "global IPs" which is not an actual thing.

Kabam cannot detect and distinguish every possible instance of account sharing, but they can detect things related to or connected with account sharing and they can and do take action on that basis. For example, if you share your account with someone who violates the TOS in a more obviously provable way, you cannot use as a defense that you were not responsible because someone else was doing that action. Since you have to admit you shared your account with someone else, you'd be in violation of the TOS regardless.

If I hand my phone to someone and say "here, do this fight" there's no possible way to detect that. But if I hire a mercenary to complete LoL for me, that might be detectable. For one thing, the mercenary himself could be discovered, and then traffic analysis could eventually find all the accounts he logged into. Persistent activity is detectable.

Kabam is unlikely to ban you for *only* account sharing, but that's because it is extremely difficult for them to ever know you were doing that in the first place. But if you account share as part of other TOS violations, with or without your knowledge, you cannot use account sharing itself as a defense.

That's why they mention it. They are reminding everyone that account sharing is a violation, and they can ban you if they ever discover you account sharing. They can't find all account sharers nor are they likely to conduct a deliberate search for them. But if you flaunt account sharing, admit to account sharing, or do blatantly detectable things with account sharing, they may warn you, they may temp ban you, they may under the right conditions perma-ban you. And if account sharing is done in conjunction with something like modding or hacking the game, Kabam considers sharing your account with someone who does that as just as bad as doing it yourself.

In effect, Kabam is reminding you that you are responsible for what anyone does with your account. You are giving the person you share your account with the ability to get you perma-banned. The fact that you didn't know what they were doing is no excuse.
    So is there a final answer?
  • shingbabshingbab Posts: 120
    edited July 2017
    The final answer is...there's real way to know you're using a VPN unless you're on a publicly known VPN.
    You're just connected to the network via somewhere else
  • SpiritSpirit Posts: 222
    No. its usable on VPN if u are not using any add ons like mods
  • OltorfOltorf Posts: 34
    I would say yes only if you vpn switches regions regularly. As the drastic change in ip quickly is one way to identify account sharing. Just make sure your vpn is set to the same place regularly.
    No my region stays the same, just global chats changes...thanks guys
  • wray1976wray1976 Posts: 459 ★★
    Grinder wrote: »

Agreed. My alliance mate travels from the US to Japan/Germany monthly for his job. He could possibly get banned over some nonsense.