**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Disney+, Netflix and the future of R rated Marvel

HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
So, I was reading a Forbes article on why all the Netflix series are being cancelled. It seems Disney is wanting to push their Disney+ streaming service which will effectively kill any Marvel content from other paid services.

Meh. Ok. Not cool, but whatever.

Here's the part I'm concerned about:

It is with a very, very high possibility that after season 3 of Punisher and JJ, all R rated Marvel content will be cancelled.

Given Disney's history, I don't see them picking these series up.

The biggest concern is the future of Marvel R rated content.

Deadpool?
Punisher?
Midnight Sons?

It doesn't look good.

Comments

• BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,280 ★★★★★
    Hamin wrote: »
    So, I was reading a Forbes article on why all the Netflix series are being cancelled. It seems Disney is wanting to push their Disney+ streaming service which will effectively kill any Marvel content from other paid services.

Meh. Ok. Not cool, but whatever.

Here's the part I'm concerned about:

It is with a very, very high possibility that after season 3 of Punisher and JJ, all R rated Marvel content will be cancelled.

Given Disney's history, I don't see them picking these series up.

The biggest concern is the future of Marvel R rated content.

Deadpool?
    Punisher?
    Midnight Sons?

It doesn't look good.

They would be on the Disney+ (Ugh. That name's stupid) version of Adult Swim and could be blocked. That market is too lucrative to shut out entirely.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    Netflix still owns the rights to the Marvel shows they’ve cancelled and both Marvel and Netflix have hinted that we may see the characters in the future.
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,399 ★★★★★
    edited December 2018
    Disney cant do anything as Netflix added a clause preventing any marvel characters to appear for the next 2 years so if they decide to bring all back wont happen till 2020 and 2021 to the exact day they were cancelled.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,807 ★★★★★
    If Disney wants, they can put the Netflix shows on Hulu when they've completed the Fox buyout as it'll give them a controlling interest in Hulu, if they're that bothered about keeping Disney+ squeaky-clean PG13. Same as any R-rated movies will be released under the Fox name, like how they released R-rated movies before under other names like Miramax or Touchstone. (Pulp Fiction was a Disney movie)
  • Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★
    Who cares about these series, they are terrible. S1 of JJ was enjoyable, DD S1 was fun because of Kingpin, and maybe LC S1. After that it went downhill. IF was slower than the Frieza Saga in DBZ! I am glad they are cancelling that sh*t.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,807 ★★★★★
    well, I liked all six shows. I thought Iron Fist season 2 was an improvement on season 1 and DD got better each season. I thought JJ season 2 was good, but not as good as 1.

So, each to their own.
  • K1lltasticK1lltastic Posts: 674 ★★★
    The fact that they've now released a PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2 in theatres says more than anything else.

I worry for the future of Deadpool.
  • CaramesCarames Posts: 284 ★★
    Fox released that, not Marvel.... They're just trying to squeeze every last cent of profit that they can before they lose the rights to the characters.