**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

AW Offseason and the AW Burnout Issue

Comments

• ArcDeAngelusArcDeAngelus Posts: 209
    The obvious point some people seem to be missing - You don't have to compete in seasons. If the one week break isn't enough this season then go easy or don't compete at all, you don't have to push every time. The rewards are pretty good but not so great that missing out on them once is going to leave you stranded.

That's great in theory. The reality is that deciding to not run the season would cause many alliances to have even more turnover or break up entirely as many would go to alliances that were running the season.

That just sounds like you're refusing to accept your limitations. Either play or pay more to keep up, or accept where you are in the game and adjust accordingly. There are plenty of alliances out there with great people who go at all different paces.

We are a platinum 2/3 alliance and have been every season. Not interested in pushing to plat 1 but often have a few who want to go play plat 1/master for awhile after a season so we have to replace 2 or 3 guys. One week makes that difficult. No one in my alliance is happy with the one week break but if we decided we were going to take a season off, many would leave for alliances that weren't taking a break, so it's not an option. It has zero to do with playing above our level or accepting our limitations.

It is an option, you and others clearly don't want to miss out on rewards which is why you'll complain rather than actually change your goals. The alliance won't stay together forever and if everybody isn't pulling in the same direction it's going to end sooner rather than later anyway

Yes, I suppose blowing it up is an option... When I said it wasn't an option I figured context would make it clear that I didn't believe that it literally wasn't an option. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I think the one week off season is a bad idea for many reasons and I have provided feedback accordingly. That's sort of what the forum is for. If it makes you happy to call it "complaining" than have at it.

Complaining is to express dissatisfaction or annoyance with something, you're literally doing the textbook definition of it. Just because you don't know what the word means doesn't mean you aren't doing it.
  • phippskiphippski Posts: 5
    We really need a break. Our alliance has had a solid season fighting through the holiday period and now we need a couple of weeks off. Some members are moving on so we'll have to rebuild and a week is not enough. Please kabam give us longer
  • Our alliance has come to the decision that we will be running an item free season 7. If we make it to the boss great! If we die three times and don't...who cares. We refuse to have to abide to this ridiculous 1 week break after we have all spoken and addressed our concerns last time this inconsiderate stunt was pulled. That means zero real money will have to be spent by the entire next month to buy units for extra revives and health potions. This is not how we enjoy playing the game, but only the hand Kabam has forced us to play
  • Fulcana666Fulcana666 Posts: 14
    100% agreed with the original poster....and I am in a Silver 2 alliance. I can't imagine what it is like in a more competitive alliance. I would like to have a break to progress the account and push the monthly content, and I don't feel like I can do that when my best champs are committed to AW. Creates an unhealthy catch 22 where we feel like we have to commit to AW to get the rewards, but end up hating the grind. Surely there must be a compromise somewhere. Is the solution to quit alliance all together? There is only so much time in a day. Does the game developer really want to push the player base so hard that they have to choose between playing a game (which is supposed to be a fun diversion) and things that really matter in life like relationships and careers? Easy choice when it comes down to it. We just had an officer quit cold turkey who was a great player, very active (and also spent real $$ on the game) to spend more time with his girlfriend. This is the kind of choice Kabam is encouraging the player base to make.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Given the option, 1 week or no war for a month? I can’t say for sure but that was probably the choices available.
    Our alliance has come to the decision that we will be running an item free season 7. If we make it to the boss great! If we die three times and don't...who cares.
    That’s an awesome strat, No BS. If you are in a position to win a match take it and if you aren’t just maximize your take in season points while reducing item expenditures.

To the goal of season points I would make the boss a priority and make lanes 3 ,5 and 8 as back up lanes you sacrifice to get the minis leading to the boss down. You’ll have 4 players capable of filling in for lane failures to ensure you advance as far as possible. Have path 3 stop at the teleporter before node 27 so he can back up 1,2 and 4. Have path 5 wait to join or stall at the teleporter to back up 4/6. Finally have path 8 stall at the first teleporter so he can back up 6,7 or 9.
  • WonderjayWonderjay Posts: 20
    I, for one, like the shorter breaks. Reason being, is that I am still working on improving my account, and the sooner season starts, the sooner I am working towards those goals. I am in a gold 1 alliance, so issues of boosting and reviving is not bad where i am at. It makes no difference to me. The alliance I am in, continues to run wars during the break, so it might as well be for some end goal. With that being said, I can understand why larger, platinum and master alliance would like a much longer recess between seasons, to keep their sanity.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Well the officer who recruited me 8 months ago and was a MG1 officer with me for about 6 of those months just stepped down. Too much BS with trying to recruit and keep everyone on the same page with no time. Thanks Kabam.
  • Steve090965Steve090965 Posts: 5
    RogerRabs wrote: »
    Please reconsider your decision to start AW Season 7 in one week. I don't think I'm only speaking for my alliance when I say that people were so relieved when this season ended. The high price and stress of AW is driving many people crazy, and without a decent off season to work on other content, save some items, and just take a break, these problems will only be exacerbated .

AW fatigue is a massive issue you seem to be ignoring. I implore you to do something to change this season. Running the same season as Season 6 would be incredibly tone deaf.

If changing the off season time is impossible: try sending out a package of potions and boosts to everyone. This would help alleviate the cost of the early part of war. It may cost Kabam in the short term, but keeping people invested in AW is crucial for the game's continued success.
    Please reconsider your decision to start AW Season 7 in one week. I don't think I'm only speaking for my alliance when I say that people were so relieved when this season ended. The high price and stress of AW is driving many people crazy, and without a decent off season to work on other content, save some items, and just take a break, these problems will only be exacerbated .

AW fatigue is a massive issue you seem to be ignoring. I implore you to do something to change this season. Running the same season as Season 6 would be incredibly tone deaf.

If changing the off season time is impossible: try sending out a package of potions and boosts to everyone. This would help alleviate the cost of the early part of war. It may cost Kabam in the short term, but keeping people invested in AW is crucial for the game's continued success.

• Steve090965Steve090965 Posts: 5
    As an alliance leader I totally agree with comments above I am watching the interest in wars degenerate dramatically as well as players deciding to take a break from the game as the constant barrage of content is just wearing them out, even the whole alliance has discussed dumping wars completely as since the reduction in rewards it is simply not worth the effort and that combined with ridiculously short time between seasons is just too much for many players. This creates a massive problem for alliance leadership and officers to try and motivate people to do what is necessary to try to win wars. A longer break between seasons is a MUST to allow players to rest and address other content, we have gone from a constant fight for places in war to not even being able to fill 2 groups in the space of 2 seasons. If a sensible management of alliance war seasons is not forthcoming I fear we are already seeing the beginning of the end of alliance wars within the game
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    I think if we reduced the rewards and increased frequency, that would at least let an alliance SKIP a 'season' all together and still not be out of it completely.

What if the war season was 10 Wars. That would be 20 days, and then allows 10 days as a break. Keep the rewards the same, so it would be a very intense 20 days (as they are right now) but if an alliance skipped an entire season they wouldn't be as far behind as right now. The same logic for why the season went from 2 months down to one month, use that to reduce it further.
  • WayntosWayntos Posts: 590 ★★
    When wars first came out everyone was stoked, now that we reached season 7 the euphoria has wore off and eyes open looking at the toll/time it takes for now what looks to be such a small reward. Wars need to be something people get hyped up for, but when it become an everyday thing it lost it magic. Short break sucks

Bottom line Do what's best for your alliance take a break or not to you may lose people that are warmongers and live for it but you got to do whats best for the members that are loyal to the team not the rewards. Yes short breaks sucks but do you have to stay P1 do it for fun. I can concentrate on the event quest part .........Short break sucks

PS... Thanks to Kabam for the free 5* in the 2* arena kudos to those who didn't sell their 2* and making the 1* & 2* useful FOR now do a 3* AW or AQ to make them useful....did I mention the Short break sucks
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    Rektor wrote: »
    Good players quitting by the hour today and top tier alliances disbanding.

Should get extra messy in the next couple hours now that AQ is ending.

Thanks kabam

But then honestly, is that a bad thing? Good to cycle and keep new alliances rising to the top rather than having a dynasty of Alliances reaping all the best rewards forever more. In that case, if it's that hyper competitive to stay at the tippy top, then make it even harder! :) Definitely need a shake up.
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    NiteAndDae wrote: »

Thanks kabam

But then honestly, is that a bad thing? Good to cycle and keep new alliances rising to the top rather than having a dynasty of Alliances reaping all the best rewards forever more. In that case, if it's that hyper competitive to stay at the tippy top, then make it even harder! :) Definitely need a shake up.

It’s the opposite. A top 10 master alliance disbands and majority of the remaining players from within move into existing master alliances, making them stronger. The better players move into the top 3-5, also making them all stronger.

Good players from perennial top 5 alliances are burned out bc of this kabam nonsense, but still want to play and still want rewards without as much pressure, so they leave for other master alliances that are likely not to push for top 1-3. Those alliances are now stronger.

Sure one master spot is now open if someone disbands, but nothing will really change. Everyone just got better.

I’m focused more so on the fact that kabam seems clueless about player retention and morale. One cow will not keep all the lights on, no matter how impressive a cow it is.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    NiteAndDae wrote: »

Thanks kabam

No because it's all the same people. Gold 1 allies aren't gonna suddenly become Plat 1 allies because some top allies are breaking up. It just adds stress to people looking for new allys and those recruiting.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,646 Guardian
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Well here's the thing, now that we many have voiced their desire for a longer break, the data needs to back that up. One way would be to encourage your alliance to not partake in the first of week of AW and give yourselves a break. If the data doesn't show that players need to take a break, then Kabam has little to go on when it comes to actually giving the player base a break.

I'm not sure what Kabam should specifically look for in the data that would demonstrate that burnout was something that needed to be addressed. You can't just focus on individual alliances, taking note of when they disband or stop participating, say, because there are lots of potential reasons for that which aren't necessarily the fault of the game design. But if you look at too broad of a statistical view the problem could be completely obscured. Consider that burnout is likely to be much more prevalent among alliances currently in the higher brackets - Gold 1 and higher, say, and certainly Gold and higher. But they represent only a small percentage of all alliances, maybe 10%. If a percentage of them burn out, that's a very small percentage of all players. And it is difficult to see that a larger percentage of high bracket alliances are burning out because the brackets are mandatorilly filled with rankings. In other words, whether the burn out rate is 2% or 20% or even 90% among the high bracket alliances, next season there will still be exactly 1500 alliances gold or higher. There will always be 1500 alliances gold or higher. There will always be 20 master alliances, even if all the "current" master alliances literally quit cold turkey tomorrow.

To put it another way, we might participate more or less but unless the change is catastrophically large (which is very unlikely) Kabam will be handing out the same amount of rewards to the same amount of alliances next season. That can hide any damage that burn out is causing. Even season by season comparisons would have to be very clever to quantify the problem in statistical and not anecdotal terms.

I've always been skeptical about datamining these kinds of things, not because I think datamining gives the wrong answers but rather because I don't often see game developers using it correctly. I don't trust anecdotes either, but anecdotes might be the best insight we currently have into the problem. Not necessarily good insight, just the best available.

Well we have given them the feedback, if the data shows a drop off in play and drop off in item use, drop off in logins ect it sends the message they have "missed the mark" and will be more likely to take suggestions more seriously.

Keep in mind one of the ratings for how popular a game is in their respective stores is the login count. How many times a day a person logs in contributes to the popularity ratings of a game.

A drop off in the number of alliances match making will show in the data fewer alliances are doing aw especially if there's not a matching drop off in AQ.

All those things are true, but what I was saying earlier is that no matter how bad the burn out problem is, it is unlikely to be affecting more than a moderate percentage of an even smaller percentage of alliances. It is incredibly unlikely that large percentages of Stone and Bronze bracket alliances are suffering war burn out, but they represent the bulk of all players. If literally *all* the master and platinum alliances from season six sat out season seven, that wouldn't show up as more than a blip in the login data. And it isn't that master and platinum would be empty, instead other alliances would automatically become the new master and platinum alliances. And that's just the extreme case for discussion purposes: that is not going to happen in reality.

And we can't focus on things like item use either, for a more important reason. We can't state that Kabam should use reduced item usage as evidence that there's something wrong with AW that needs fixing, because that would imply that a goal of Kabam's war design should be to maintain or increase item usage. But I don't think most players would agree that this should be a quantitative goal of the game design. In fact Kabam is often faulted for supposedly prioritizing it.
  • pgo01pgo01 Posts: 1
    I am the Leader of a growing 10M Alliance. My players and myself are exhausted from War. We are considering sitting out the next War Season and focus on improving our AQ performance. The effort and resources to end up in Silver 2 are not worth it at all.

If Kabam continues to push us like this, we are going to end up playing War just for pleasure and totally ignore War Seasons
  • ThorrealWorthyThorrealWorthy Posts: 16
    edited January 2019
    Given the amount of content in the game now,
    There needs to be more downtime given for War seasons.
    People need time to catch up with other contents in the game, or even with other stuff in real life. A fun & healthy mobile game should not be played like a job/e-sport.

A 6-8 week Run followed by a 2 week break time seems ideal to most of the community I believe.
    (Maybe somenody should start a poll)
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    Gotta love matching for a 2 bg war because people on both sides quit due to burnout, and when the war finally starts you see your opponent doesn’t even have enough people for 1 bg and placed no defense because they saw the +/- and ditched.

Tell me again about how well AW is working. What a disgrace.
  • 6h705uosqo1a.jpg
    Apparently our opponents are burnt out too...thanks for breaking war Kabam!👍
  • rwhackrwhack Posts: 1,051 ★★★
    Yeah. So zero mod/admin comments. Consensus is clear . They don’t care want it to go away.

Game is gonna keep being less popular.
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    @mostlyharmlessn - that's nice in theory. But here's the reality. It's simply not gonna happen. No one wants to go into the season 1 week behind points wise. You skip even 1 war, you might as well skip the whole of it because you just shot yourself in the foot points wise.

@ContestOfNoobs - I wish i had seen this post you spoke of. Cuz I had a sinking feeling this was coming too. I had hoped for the best, but always expect the worst. Like you said, here we are. I don't frequent the forum too often. Only recently have I started posting again in the hopes the many outweigh the few. The half baked thinking in this thread by the few is real. The many are pretty clear.

Simply stated, we were told when they cut the Season times in half it would be, 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off. There's no logic behind what was said. Until it gets explained in logical detail, many are left with questions. This comes with a sour taste of nonsense coupled with the smell of bull. I cannot fathom how cutting our off time in half has ANYTHING to do with optimizing ANYTHING.

Until we get more than, the 'We don't have anymore information for now, but stay tuned' cover show.... many will be left with questions. Saying you 'don't have' more information is tantamount to an admission of not knowing. Not knowing why you're doing something is rather foolish if you ask me. Seems to me, some aren't given the whole truth. We certainly aren't. But maybe it's not limited to us. Which I would be pretty mad if I were the mods and I didn't know why I was telling everyone what I was. Perhaps the team should have an open discussion on this sooner than later. I think that much is only fair at this point.

@SiriusBreak the post was derailed as i madr a mention about how they didnt care and let the 0.1% get away with 2015 rank up gem.

And that people like me in master wars are the ones being effected by it
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,903 ★★★★★
    because how burnt out we are we know place whoever we want and go in with any character doesn't matter anymore