**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

When is it Time For a 5 Star Basic Arena

Vdh2008Vdh2008 Posts: 966 ★★★★
It feels like forever and a day since the inception of the 4 star basic arena that allowed players to start really building their rosters for "reasonable" arena grinds.

With the advent of AQ Map 7 and Story Act 6 on the horizon, it seems to me that it's time we start having better access to 5 star champions.

I know that some or most of us can get 3-4 5 star pulls per month, sometimes more. This was also the rate of the 4 star crystals back in the day.

Is it time? I think 2019 is the year for this... What do you think?

Comments

• CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Agree!!!
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,124 ★★★★★
    Agerd.
  • The_Boss9The_Boss9 Posts: 1,390 ★★★
    totally
  • Vdh2008Vdh2008 Posts: 966 ★★★★
    Even if they were to have a different schedule and start with 2015 champs, and run them through week after week, it would FINALLY allow us to "dupe" many champs that are sitting useless in our rosters.

• Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    edited January 2019
    Would be nice and to raise the # of people who can get it to 400 already
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Vdh2008 wrote: »
    Even if they were to have a different schedule and start with 2015 champs, and run them through week after week, it would FINALLY allow us to "dupe" many champs that are sitting useless in our rosters.

Even if Kabam introduced a 5* basic with the same parameters as the 4* basic, which is highly unlikely, it wouldn't help as many people as you probably think. The current amount of grind that people are putting into the 5* featured arena just for shards is about 13 million. That's for one fifth of a crystal. If the basic arena contained a champ that any shard grinder doesn't have, they would almost certainly be willing to put more effort into it. I would expect scores in that arena to be pretty high. On top of that, the 5* basic arena is likely to have lower milestone and rank rewards than the 5* featured which means you'd expect participation in that arena to be lower. The combination of those two and the fact that you would have some splitting of participation between the two arenas suggest to me that you would expect to see about 2000-ish people making the 10% cut off at scores above 15 million.

In its prime the old 4* basic was generating about 12k basic champs on average, with the effort for high value 4* champs in the neighborhood of 300 rounds of effort or more. I think people today see that arena with rose colored glasses. A hypothetical 5* arena is likely to be smaller in terms of participation and harder in terms of effort. It was actually the introduction of the 5* featured arena that made the 4* basic arena more approachable to more grinders, because people diverted effort from the 4* arenas to the 5* featured. A 5* basic arena alone is likely to see similar conditions to when the 4* basic and 4* featured were the only game in town. You need people to move on to something else, and that's not going to happen until a 6* arena shows up. Which isn't going to happen for quite a while I expect.
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Even if Kabam introduced a 5* basic with the same parameters as the 4* basic, which is highly unlikely, it wouldn't help as many people as you probably think. The current amount of grind that people are putting into the 5* featured arena just for shards is about 13 million. That's for one fifth of a crystal. If the basic arena contained a champ that any shard grinder doesn't have, they would almost certainly be willing to put more effort into it. I would expect scores in that arena to be pretty high. On top of that, the 5* basic arena is likely to have lower milestone and rank rewards than the 5* featured which means you'd expect participation in that arena to be lower. The combination of those two and the fact that you would have some splitting of participation between the two arenas suggest to me that you would expect to see about 2000-ish people making the 10% cut off at scores above 15 million.

In its prime the old 4* basic was generating about 12k basic champs on average, with the effort for high value 4* champs in the neighborhood of 300 rounds of effort or more. I think people today see that arena with rose colored glasses. A hypothetical 5* arena is likely to be smaller in terms of participation and harder in terms of effort. It was actually the introduction of the 5* featured arena that made the 4* basic arena more approachable to more grinders, because people diverted effort from the 4* arenas to the 5* featured. A 5* basic arena alone is likely to see similar conditions to when the 4* basic and 4* featured were the only game in town. You need people to move on to something else, and that's not going to happen until a 6* arena shows up. Which isn't going to happen for quite a while I expect.

Introducing another arena would move people from the other arena's into the new 5* basic for a champ they might want to dupe or have rather than a 4* or a feature that might be less than desirable. Not sure what you mean when you say it won't help anything.
    Zuko_ILC wrote: »

Introducing another arena would move people from the other arena's into the new 5* basic for a champ they might want to dupe or have rather than a 4* or a feature that might be less than desirable. Not sure what you mean when you say it won't help anything.

Nowhere did I say "it won't help anything." What I said was that it probably wouldn't help as many people as the OP seemed to imply. But as to your contention that adding an arena would move people, it would most likely move them from the 5* featured down to the 5* basic when the basic was a champ they wanted. It is far less likely to move people from the 4* featured to the 5* basic, because 4* featured grinders that actually want 5* champs are likely already grinding the 5* featured for shards. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but not in quantities that would make a serious difference.

But even if I'm completely wrong and there's a huge defection from the 4* arenas to the 5* basic, that still wouldn't do what the OP claimed was the goal which was to increase the availability of 5* champs, not 4* champs, by more than a relatively small amount. The current arena scoring makes it clear that there are thousands of players currently capable of scoring over ten million in the different arenas. About 5000 such players scored at least that much points in the last featured 5*. Any of those players missing a champ that shows up in a hypothetical 5* basic would almost certainly give it a try if they thought the scoring would around that level or lower. So unless the participation in a 5* basic was much higher than I think is likely, if you aren't someone grinding ten million or so for 1000 5* shards a round or higher, a 5* basic is unlikely to do a lot to directly help you gain more access to 5* champs.

Basically, if you aren't one of the players getting a lot of 5* shards from the arena now, you're probably out of the running for any significant reward from a 5* basic arena. It would only help those already doing well in the arenas.
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Just replace the current 4* basic with a 5* and a milestone with the 4* basic in it? I feel like that would be ideal. Maybe keep the same champion parameters like 3/4*’s that will keep the grind down.
  • JOHNOSA1995JOHNOSA1995 Posts: 536 ★★
    Yeah time for a 5 star basic arena
    Just replace the current 4* basic with a 5* and a milestone with the 4* basic in it? I feel like that would be ideal. Maybe keep the same champion parameters like 3/4*’s that will keep the grind down.

One way to allow more players to get more rewards is to all but give them away, which is what converting the 4* basic into a milestone would do. I feel very safe in saying that isn't going to happen any time in the current foreseeable future.
  • FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    I second this.

It was the same way back when the 4 star basic split into a separate arena... We had a huge "get in the pool" movement and lots of people started playing the basic to get desirable champs when the featured were garbage.

It's time to mirror this.

There are way too many champs in the crystal now and RNG is an unforgiving b*****.

This would create a way to add and dupe old champs.

And I'd be willing to throw up 10-15 mil for them.
    And another one of my posts gets relegated to the dustbin of the forum known as suggestions and requests...

This wasn't a suggestion. It was meant as a discussion starter and question about if/ when.
  • It really is time, the arena's need a major re-balancing, the amount of effort needed for any kind of reward is out of whack again imo.

This is a reasonable step, and probably should have already happened. 4 stars are no longer worth the effort, and 5 stars are unattainable (via arena) for anyone with a life outside of MCOC. The game feels stagnated.
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★
    This is a great idea. But instead of the top 150, it’s the top 200 and 1%-5% who get the champion. This would be a great idea and should have goood milestones as well
  • HeliosKingHeliosKing Posts: 3
    We are way overdue for a 5 star basic arena.
  • Spoonmanaron2Spoonmanaron2 Posts: 46
    Agreed. This really should be a thing already
  • GK_23GK_23 Posts: 282 ★★★
    Way overdue.
  • Nomad22Nomad22 Posts: 15
    We need this now. Its not fair to create gates and not provide equal opportunity to gain these champions that we need to counter these ridiculous nodes.
  • diRtyShaftdiRtyShaft Posts: 9
    Nomad22 said:

We need this now. Its not fair to create gates and not provide equal opportunity to gain these champions that we need to counter these ridiculous nodes.

Exactly, then the world isn't fair and MCoC has a huge staff they need to feed, so, they will make their money and when time is right they will release 6* Arena and 5* basic Arena.