**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance War Matching Making is Broken

9882aw3oihcm.png
1qhndbh6bjge.png
wdmusai1pc16.png

Hey guys is anybody else experiencing really bad match making? My alliance is always fighting alliances much stronger than us we feel like this is just one example of it.

Comments

• Kushstar420Kushstar420 Posts: 192
    based on the war rating you should have the upper hand..
  • Dadko778Dadko778 Posts: 8
    They’re defense is made up entirely of 4/55s
  • John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    While that may be true, their war rating is almost Equal to yours
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    profile doesnt equal skill
  • B_Dizzle_01B_Dizzle_01 Posts: 1,637 ★★★
    Both gold 3 with equal war rating.....how is that bad matchmaking? PI doesn’t mean anything in war. I bet you wouldn’t be posting if you were 4 mil higher than your opponent.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Dadko778 wrote: »
    Hey guys is anybody else experiencing really bad match making? My alliance is always fighting alliances much stronger than us we feel like this is just one example of it.

Question: if you think that alliance is much stronger than you, how did they end up with a rating so much lower than what you think they should have?

Sometimes, there are ways for a genuinely strong alliance to have a much weaker rating, to be sure. They could be an alliance shell-swapping. But that seems unlikely at that rating. They could have been penalized last season for cheating. But only a small percentage of alliances are penalized at any particular time. Most likely, they are being matched against you because, when it comes right down to it, they win as often as you do against similar competition. They might be stronger on paper, but they aren't delivering that strength to the wars themselves.
  • Cranmer00Cranmer00 Posts: 528 ★★
    You should see some real broken AW matches where rating and PI are 300-500ot diff and 10mil PI off like we had last season
  • DemitriMDemitriM Posts: 303 ★★
    I just love first time posters....they post the same thing that has been posted 100 times :)
    and yet they know it wrong! they think there is a bug yet there isnt...

this is an example for a perfect match up
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    DemitriM wrote: »
    I just love first time posters....they post the same thing that has been posted 100 times :)
    and yet they know it wrong! they think there is a bug yet there isnt...

this is an example for a perfect match up

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to these complaints. There's two different perspectives that seem to generate this complaint that have some validity. First, all other things being equal, it isn't completely weird to think that a 15 million alliance is "stronger" than a 7 million alliance. Knowing nothing else, that's a reasonable guess. But it is a very fuzzy guess, because PI doesn't correlate to how strong an alliance's actual attackers and defenders are, and doesn't judge actual playing skill. It is better than nothing to assume the 15 million alliance is stronger, but not a lot better than nothing.

Thing is, we don't have to rely on that guess, because we do know something else about the alliance: its war rating. War rating is essentially a measure of how often that alliance wins and loses against comparable competition. If you want to know how strong a team is, you can look at its members and guess, or you can watch them actually compete and see how often they actually win. War rating is the numerical metric for doing that. Equal rating is far more likely to represent similar war strength than alliance rating for that reason. Some people don't fully appreciate that, and focus too much on alliance rating and don't give enough credit to war rating.

Separately, some people have a completely different definition or idea of what "fair competition" is. They don't accept the notion that winning means you are stronger and should therefore be matched against stronger competition. They think that winning means you are somehow "better" than the other alliance, and *should* therefore beat them, but you should still be matched against the same level of competition. In other words, if you matched two 15 million alliances and one of them beat the other twenty times in a row, that doesn't mean one of them is stronger and should match against stronger competition, it means they just happened to pull out the win against that competition repeatedly and deserve to be allowed to win continuously.

This perspective is harder to argue against because it gets into the question of what the competition even is, and some of that has subjective elements you could debate indefinitely. But what is certain is this perspective is incompatible with how alliance war works in MCOC, and the game is unlikely to adopt this perspective.
  • RixobRixob Posts: 505 ★★
    wowwwww how does he have the patience to type all that
    i cannot read it lmao
    but bro, yall have the same war rating why are you suprised?
    also some allies sell champs to skew the alliance rating
    oh and like the guy said up there, profiles and rating does not equal skill.
    you got some 1m rated guys K.O.'ing on regular nodes in upper tiers
  • Dadko778Dadko778 Posts: 8
    I’d say the profile does equal champs though If the average profile is has PI twice that than anybody on my team I’d call that an issue for sure and no I’m not a first time poster ya nerd I had a question about something you’d never say something like that to my face