**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Why I don't Pop Features

I am watching Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and the Forums. I see no evidence why I should ever open a Featured 5* crystal. I have opened two in the past.

1) Iron-man
2) Black Suit Spidey

Each came on the heels of the 2* arena last year and this year respectively. Both times I've been burned, now that was with slightly better crystals than the one that is offered today. I get it, it's buyer beware / remorse at this point. However let me be just a tad bit critical of it even though I have only opened two.

A) It takes a long time to save up shards, it's effort on my part and the fact that you do quests, arena and war to obtain these items for the most part (unless they're in a calendar). So a lot of time is put into them.

B) A lot of people take pride in saving up the shards for hopefully a new champion they may not have or one that they are looking to awaken.

C) It's FUN! It is fun to open crystals.

What isn't fun is the other side of the coin that is more than likely to drop onto your lap. I am not saying they all have to be great champions, however take for instance the new crystal. No one wants any of the following:

Iron-Man, Magneto, Agent Venom, She-Hulk, Iron Fist, Punisher 2099, Spider Gwen, King Groot, and Yellow Jacket. Some considerations could also be extended to Night Crawler.

9 out of the 24 champions are utter trash. I am sorry that this may hurt the developers and others that work at Kabam. No amount of Buffs to any of them would make them on par with any of the recent champions that have been released. At one time they were flashy and cool, someone spent hours trying to win them in arenas. Imagine being the guy who grinded arena for Spider Gwen.....

Speaking of Spider Gwen, you have heard from us for a very long time that her SP1 is utterly useless. And for all the effort of saving up for a featured crystal you have a 1/24 chance at opening her depending on RNGJesus.

So all I am saying is Buff it up a bit! Boost DA Power next time.

There are quite a few of the newer champions that are slightly lower tier that people would still die to have. Sabertooth, Abomination, Sentinel, Quake, Void, Juggs, Mordo, Morningstar etc....

Like I said I know that there can't all be gold, but has to be some silver lining to the crystal or all the effort is for nothing for some people. And then those people will end up quitting. Some of them spenders, some not. However the spenders help pay the bills, help keep the wheels churning and the lights on :) With all the love in the world! You can close the post and forward it to the game team. Just some feelings on it all.

Comments

• ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    edited January 2019
    at the end of the day its your choice, but the most logical reason is basics.

the old featured 15k crystal wasnt really all that, it was later revealed to have a 20% chance.

but i did get lucky and went 2/2 on blade with old crystal but i also seen alot of horrible pulls..
    (anonymous2k for example)

nh9gvb1hqpln.png
  • Archit_Tandon498Archit_Tandon498 Posts: 325 ★★
    I won't call myself an endgame player, I have 2 R5 5*s and building for my 3rd. I don't grind arena a lot, so I have no use for a new trash 5*. If I want an aegon, opening features is the only way to get him atm, without spending money of course. Also, I have a better chance of getting 5* dupes from a featured crystal than I have from a basic. So even if I dupe a trash champ I can let the 6* shards let me sleep at night.

Same can not be said about the basic crystal. Many would have seen Richtheman open 7 basic 5* recently. He got 7 new champs. All trash if I remember. I would have raged quit, so I'm fine with wasting my shards of it gives me a chance at getting a new great champ
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    moviqko96gf6.png

I seem to have better featured crystal pulls after I’ve opened basic crystals for a while
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    moviqko96gf6.png

I seem to have better featured crystal pulls after I’ve opened basic crystals for a while

Of course you won't have an issue after a pull like that, however if you had got Spider Gwen we'd be having a different conversation. I am not saying eliminate the lower end champions. I am saying don't put the worst of them in the crystal.

Everyone's idea of "the worst" is different, so if they eliminated everyone's idea of "the worst" you'd really just be stacking the crystal with the best.

For example, you mentioned Juggernaut. I would consider Juggernaut to be a mediocre pull, but there are a lot of people who have posted getting Juggernaut and claiming it was one of the worst pulls they could have gotten. I've also seen people complain loudly about Abomination and Morningstar, although in the case of Morningstar they are just crazy.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    An unduped Juggernaut is one of the most useless champs in the entire game. If someone spends 15k shards and pulls him they pretty much just wasted 15k crystals.

Morningstar is great on paper but her dash back is a problem.

Spider Gwen isn’t great but if played correctly she deals out pretty decent damage.

90% of the game is based on RNG, the game is completely unbalanced by design. If you don’t like gambling then stay away from the featured crystals, if you are looking for fairness for money spent then this isn’t your game move on.

Again for the people in the back: The game is unbalanced by design.
  • SuelSuel Posts: 279
    Opened my first one of this new ones, got modok 😪😪
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    At some point your roster is big enough that getting new champs to rank is the real bottleneck (unless you spend a lot of money on FGM). That's the point at which the featured crystal makes more sense than the basic.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    The odds of pulling a God tier champ off the YouTube list is about the same in the feature crystal as it is in the basic the only reason I can see to go for the feature crystal is a chance at getting one of the most recently released champions before anyone else. If you are willing to take that gamble it costs you an extra 5000 shards. Nobody is forcing you to take that gamble. There is zero content that requires you to have those specific champions to complete. You are taking a gamble for your own self gratification. Rng is the great thing about this game. It's the thrill of what will be in the crystal. Much like any form of gambling it will not fall in your favor most of the time. That is very apparent with the odds given on the crystal. If you dont have a large pool of champs to choose from it's YOUR CHOICE to spend the extra 5k shards on the feature crystal gamble. I've done 1 in the over 100 5* Crystal's I've opened and it was from gwen goes to the movies rewards. Congratulations to me for the fantastic OG Cap I pulled. I also have several God tier champs I've pulled and awakened from basic crystals as well as a ton of trash arena fodder champs. I choose to open basic and wait for the new champs to be added to that pool because again it's a gamble and my personal choice is the lower cost crystal. If kabam was going to only put God tier champs in the feature crystal then they may as well just sell the champs and ditch rng altogether.

On a side note please buff shehulk and spidergwen these poor gals have struggled long enough kabam
  • TanukiTalesTanukiTales Posts: 255 ★★
    My basic pulls have been Venompool, Kamala Khan, Groot and She-Hulk.

The gamble on the featured is looking really attractive.
  • NikskiniNikskini Posts: 237
    When first time I opened featured 5* crystal I got spidergwen and that was also my last
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    I always go for basics. Only go for features if you have like 20+ 5 stars and are desperate for a champion that is featured
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Tiger360 wrote: »
    I always go for basics. Only go for features if you have like 20+ 5 stars and are desperate for a champion that is featured

If you don't have a lot of 5*s I would definitely recommend the basic crystal. For me it's worth it to open featured as I need better war defenders and new champs to rank in general and the featured crystal has better odds for that.
  • chaos3430chaos3430 Posts: 126
    I stopped popping featured after I duped IP and Antman, and got Rulk before his buff, not worth it. Got all my beasts out of regulars.
    edited January 2019
    Tiger360 wrote: »

I have almost 100, i opened 2 for this,

Have a...

Sig 100 drax (2nd drax from featured 5*)
    Sig 60 iron fist

And despite my big roster...this hurts,
    I took the gamble and i loss. Its rng
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    edited January 2019
    Between the last 2 sets of featured crystals I've gotten and awakened corvus, ghost, korg, and Emma. Duped MS, SL, Quake, Voodoo, and a few others I'm not remembering at the moment.

Opened at least 15 of the crystals with corvus in them and 20 or so of the ones with ghost. There were a ton of trash pulls but I still ended up getting most of the champs I wanted from them. There's just far too many champs in the basic pool if you're looking for a small number of champs. If you have a stacked roster and open a lot of crystals, as long as there's 4-6 champs in the featured you want, you're probably better off with them in the long run.

The current crystal only has like 2 or 3 good pulls for me in it so I'll be back to basics for a while
  • Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    The feature is a great option if you want newer specific champs with spending huge amounts...

At the end point in game I have no need to add more trashy 5* that will never go past r3

I wanted Aegon and Sym Supreme from this crystal... opened 8 yesterday. Got 1 x Aegon and then 7 dupes (Mephisto, Modok and 6 pure trash).

Will take that everyday and also swap 10 champs for another Aegon
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Monk1 wrote: »
    The feature is a great option if you want newer specific champs with spending huge amounts...

At the end point in game I have no need to add more trashy 5* that will never go past r3

I wanted Aegon and Sym Supreme from this crystal... opened 8 yesterday. Got 1 x Aegon and then 7 dupes (Mephisto, Modok and 6 pure trash).

Will take that everyday and also swap 10 champs for another Aegon

Pretty much just how I feel. If you already have a fairly built and diverse roster, the odd of pulling someone that's legitimately going to help you from basic are incredibly low.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,936 ★★★★
    I've opened 10 features and every time I've pulled a basic champ.
    Not worth the extra shards.
  • StewmanStewman Posts: 735 ★★★
    I opened 6 feature crystals yesterday 2 gp, 2 IM, Pun 2099 and 1 Aegon
    Opened 3 on my alt account and got X23 Meph and YJ not so thrilled with that.
    So I opened 9 crystals and all were basic champs but 1. to be clear I am not complaining
  • TheRealApocTheRealApoc Posts: 320 ★★
    Please don't get me wrong, I am just saying I don't like the odds and why I don't open them. I feel bad for the people pulling lowest tier champions in a what is considered the best crystal to get if you have the roster for it and get the shards quick enough :)
  • Kushstar420Kushstar420 Posts: 192
    basics all day
  • TanukiTalesTanukiTales Posts: 255 ★★
    So, you guys would suggest for me to buy another basic, when there's like, a 55% chance of me not getting a garbage champ a fifth time in a row with the featured?
  • DonkillaDonkilla Posts: 161
    Features a waste. I got a duped 5* hyperion, duped 5* modok, 5* icemam, 5* angela 5* killmonger, but they come at a cost, got a duped 5* rr, magneto, karnak and a few other usless ones
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 998 ★★★
    I only had about 4-5 5*s before I opened my first featured and got the featured Hyperion. Got burned on his re-run 0/3, got burned on stark spidey 0/3, got lucky on his rerun 1/3. Went 1/12 on blade rerun. The shards were saved between each featured opening except before blade rerun where I opened about 4 basics.
    Pretty bad return on investment. So if you are a starting player then do not open featured. I’ve got 60+ 5* now so I can still gamble on features but I would have had more if I didn’t take those chances.
    Who misses the old featured 5*?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE2FCOQ7PZY