**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Given the current meta, what do you think is the single most important ability for a champ to have?

FineDogFineDog Posts: 403 ★★★
Personally I think it will always be power control, but other than it seems like True Strike is needed against a lot of the more recent champs.

Comments

• TheVyrusTheVyrus Posts: 418 ★★★
    You pretty much nailed it.
  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 254 ★★
    This is tough, maybe fixed type!
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    True strike, then power control, then ability accuracy reduction, then regeneration

Armor break and immunities deserve honorable mentions as well
  • godsquad891godsquad891 Posts: 779 ★★
    also attack at rank 5* r4 at least 190 but ideally over 200 as with blade :D
  • FineDogFineDog Posts: 403 ★★★
    True strike, then power control, then ability accuracy reduction, then regeneration

Actually, AA reduction might beat True Strike, no? Since it can prevent auto-block, evade, etc from happening in the first place?
  • Single most important thing as of now isn't something any one champ has. The Swiss army knife champs are close but don't cover it completely. A strong, diverse roster is the most important thing to have imo.
  • sbdjdksbdjdk Posts: 178
    edited January 2019
    Ability accuracy reduction is top, power control is only really useful against champs that passively gain power or specials are unevadable and hard to evade like punisher 2099
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,152 ★★★★★
    Phasing, degen, AAR.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I think you start from the wrong viewpoint. There is not a single ability that determines the meta. It is utility.

For instant, several champions that are newly released require Armor Break to be able to defeat them (IMIW, Emma Frost) and champions that do it easily are highly valuable (Medusa, IMIW, Venom).

Anti-Evade and Anti-Auto-Block is also something that is very valuable, so champions who can become Unblockable or reduce Evade are valuable (again, IMIW and Venom).

Also, the meta seems to get more and more dominated by champions who either A) need long fights to build-up their maximum potential (Thing's Fury, IMIW's Plasma debuffs) or B) have persistent charges (Aegon, Sabretooth, The Champion) that transfer from fight to fight.

A champion who has many abilities and is flexible, is a meta-champion. I also think more champions will come that target the current god tier champions. The meta has been fixed for quite some time, I think it is Kabam's ambition to break it.
  • belli300belli300 Posts: 704 ★★★
    It was aar but now with force of will it’s definately not

I’d say power control if the best for end game content there has been a ridiculous amount of increased power gain, spite, and cornered nodes.
  • MhykkeMhykke Posts: 431 ★★★
    Kindness.
  • sbdjdksbdjdk Posts: 178
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    High damage output is no, 1.

Everything else comes after
    Tell that to electro and thorns

• MrBanksMrBanks Posts: 950 ★★★
    Power lock, power steal, anything to do with nullify or power
  • Isman1998Isman1998 Posts: 520 ★★★
    Power Control or Regen
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    FineDog wrote: »

Actually, AA reduction might beat True Strike, no? Since it can prevent auto-block, evade, etc from happening in the first place?

Hypothetically yes, but in practice it depends because most AAR in the game comes with strings. Sometimes it only reduces, it doesn't nullify; sometimes it requires tactics to activate like Killmonger or can't be up all the time like Karnak; sometimes it is situational like abilities that only debuff defensive AA or offensive AA. Theoretically a champion that just set your Ability Accuracy Attribute to zero at the start of the fight would probably be packing the strongest single ability in the game, but that currently doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

In actual practice, I find true strike and power control to be roughly tied in terms of in-game effectiveness in terms of how much the players are allowed to have and use. If we were talking about pre-12.0 Black Widow running around with -100% DAA right from the start, I'd say AAR would be in a three-way tie for effectiveness in the game. But that's largely a subjective call for me.
    "GIVEN THE CURRENT META, WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ABILITY FOR A CHAMP TO HAVE?"

To answer the OPs question, I think in the current state of the game the single most important feature for a champ to have is to not depend on a single ability. The best champs seem to have at least one thing going for them defensively and at least two very useful things going for them offensively. For example, take the queen of being relevant for a long time: Magik. She has power steal and power lock which are both good defensive tools. She also has nullify, and she has a scaling special three attack that can devastate anything that has the misfortune to run too many active buffs. And these are all good offensive and defensive tools as an attacker: she's also a decent defender with Limbo damage and Limbo damage-erasure.

Other champs that have multiple very strong offensive and defensive tools: Hyperion (who has stuns for defensive utility), Archangel (stuns, AAR), OG Vision, Sparky, Iceman, Blade, Void, Medusa, Quake, Ghost Rider, Omega Red, Captain America IW, Dr. Voodoo, Killmonger, Corvus. I'm not saying these are the best champs today or will be the best champs tomorrow, but I think champs like this have the best chance of staying relevant at or near the top deep into the future of the game.
  • jojodeth101jojodeth101 Posts: 480
    Their own bank account/units
  • HeadrollerHeadroller Posts: 255
    edited January 2019
    True strike is pretty much the best, but let’s all look at this......

Domino

Probability field PASSIVE ability....

-crit rate increase ( domino)
    -Crit rate reduction ( opponent)
    -Critical bleed !!!!
    -AAR ( opponent)
    -Ability Accuracy increase (domino)
    -Power gain

This has proven to be very effective so far and it is always active...

• Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Theoretically a champion that just set your Ability Accuracy Attribute to zero at the start of the fight would probably be packing the strongest single ability in the game, but that currently doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

It somewhat exists. The champion is called Mephisto. No buffs activated at the beginning of the fight, also counts for node buffs. Node buffs don't even pop-up unless re-triggered. If the node buff is a permanent one, it is simply gone. It helps a lot in lots of quests.

0sdq302pd6lw.png

https://playcontestofchampions.com/champion-spotlight-mephisto/
  • Welderofortune2Welderofortune2 Posts: 139
    GIVEN THE CURRENT META, WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ABILITY FOR A CHAMP TO HAVE?

Number one is regen for me I think a good reliable regen is still the greatest asset in the game. Number two nullify the ability to cut off most peoples buffs is something that is really handy for most fights. Number 3 Power drain/burn/steal, this is a really good weapon to have necessary in some scenarios. So for me it is a mix of things, but in my opinion Doc. Voodoo or ghost rider are the two best champs right now IMO as far as going into a quest blind.
  • Manup456Manup456 Posts: 885 ★★★★
    I'm also a big Domino fan she's so good, but I hear Ghost is savage
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Theoretically a champion that just set your Ability Accuracy Attribute to zero at the start of the fight would probably be packing the strongest single ability in the game, but that currently doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

It somewhat exists. The champion is called Mephisto. No buffs activated at the beginning of the fight, also counts for node buffs. Node buffs don't even pop-up unless re-triggered. If the node buff is a permanent one, it is simply gone. It helps a lot in lots of quests.

0sdq302pd6lw.png

https://playcontestofchampions.com/champion-spotlight-mephisto/

Soul Imprisonment is definitely useful, but as it only works to suppress buffs there's a lot of abilities it doesn't affect that general ability accuracy reduction would affect, things like evades and strike back damage for example.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    Phasing
  • Alpha07Alpha07 Posts: 649 ★★
    I thought someday of r4ing a 5* Duped Rogue (since she has a nasty regeneration, power control and buff steal) but then she hits like a wet noodle.

btw, everything is important depending on the situation. But then, Power control, ability accuracy reduction, true strike and regeneration are really important. But a hard hitting champ is too, imo.
    Alpha07 wrote: »
    I thought someday of r4ing a 5* Duped Rogue (since she has a nasty regeneration, power control and buff steal) but then she hits like a wet noodle.

Her damage is not the best, but sometimes it is plenty good. In particular when you can steal fury or critical buffs her damage is pretty good, her life steal is I believe unresistable so it can deal respectable damage on otherwise armored or high resistance foes, and she's awesome when coupled to nodes like Flare or Power Reserve (cycle SP1 and SP2 respectively).

My 5/50 was my go-to champ for season five's AQ immunity path where she had class advantage throughout and could heal back all the block and chip damage from those fights easily. If I ever pull her as a 5*, I will probably r4 her. Probably not as a high priority, but eventually.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    I think you start from the wrong viewpoint. There is not a single ability that determines the meta. It is utility.

For instant, several champions that are newly released require Armor Break to be able to defeat them (IMIW, Emma Frost) and champions that do it easily are highly valuable (Medusa, IMIW, Venom).

Anti-Evade and Anti-Auto-Block is also something that is very valuable, so champions who can become Unblockable or reduce Evade are valuable (again, IMIW and Venom).

Also, the meta seems to get more and more dominated by champions who either A) need long fights to build-up their maximum potential (Thing's Fury, IMIW's Plasma debuffs) or B) have persistent charges (Aegon, Sabretooth, The Champion) that transfer from fight to fight.

A champion who has many abilities and is flexible, is a meta-champion. I also think more champions will come that target the current god tier champions. The meta has been fixed for quite some time, I think it is Kabam's ambition to break it.

It's funny how you fail to mention Corvus, who literally fulfills all three of the criteria haha
    There is not a single ability that determines the meta. It is utility.

Not to pick on you specifically but as this is becoming a pet peeve of mine; what determines the meta is what we think determines the meta. The "meta" of the game is the term used to describe collectively how we the players approach the game. The current state of the game is called the current state of the game.

The best champion given the current state of the game is which champion you think performs the best in the game. The best champion given the current meta of the game is which champion you think everyone else thinks performs the best in the game.