**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Synergies in AW defense

ON12355ON12355 Posts: 144 ★★
Hey guys, can anyone tell me the latest info about Synergies in AW defense? Do they work or not? Whats the current status?

Thank you

Comments

• John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    They don’t work, and there is no time table for when they will ever work.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    They don't work. They can work anytime, but it's a risky move that will increase the difficulty.
    Also the team said something about introducing a way for the player know what synergies where activated on the fight
  • ON12355ON12355 Posts: 144 ★★
    Thought so, I found discussion referring this that started year ago, so I hoped (silly, foolish me, I know) that maybe Kabam actually did something in 1 YEAR OF A TIME... but we are talking Kabam here, right? :smile: Too busy filling their pockets to do actual work.

Thank you anyway @John757
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    They don't work and hopefully will never work.

Why "hopefully" ? :smile:
  • Vegeta9000Vegeta9000 Posts: 204 ★★
    ON12355 wrote: »
    They don't work and hopefully will never work.

Why "hopefully" ? :smile:

Some of the unique synergies are insane on defence.

This is why they should work, some synergies are based solely for defence and if they arent ever going to work on defence they need removing in place of a more attacking based synergy, what is the point in a synergy like (i think) antmans, where you return a % of damage on glancing hits, if you dont get hit. Its a waste of a synergy based solely on defence. Not to mention it is stated nowhere in game that defence synergies dont work, so some poor souls in the lower tiers that dont use the forums yet will be ranking champs for defensive synergies thinking they work.
    That's why it would be interesting, would't it?

I myself find it the great way to make Wars more interesting for Gold and below brackets (meaning majority of middle-class player base). Most of people there surely doesn't have resources to bring champs to high ranks just for purpose of defense, but with synergies they can build team of for example 3 weaker champs around 2 stronger who would become real asset that way.
    Otherwise Gold and below Wars are boring anyway, it's usually not even a challenge to take the boss and clear the map, it's a must if you want to win. I would love to see Wars where getting to boss and take him down actually means something :smile:

Just my opinion though...
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Let's be brutally honest. As much as I would want synergies to work in AWD, I know it would wreck the game. Some synergies are just too powerful for AW. The only way they would bearable if the synergies are turned into linked nodes, which you can remove as I suggest here: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/76374/a-possible-solution-to-the-aw-defenders-synergy-problem
    ON12355 wrote: »
    That's why it would be interesting, would't it?

I myself find it the great way to make Wars more interesting for Gold and below brackets (meaning majority of middle-class player base). Most of people there surely doesn't have resources to bring champs to high ranks just for purpose of defense, but with synergies they can build team of for example 3 weaker champs around 2 stronger who would become real asset that way.
    Otherwise Gold and below Wars are boring anyway, it's usually not even a challenge to take the boss and clear the map, it's a must if you want to win. I would love to see Wars where getting to boss and take him down actually means something :smile:

Just my opinion though...

A lot of people consider AW a big money grab anyway. If defense synergies were activated, the difficulty would go through the roof. In fact, when they disabled synergies, they amped up the nodes in the upper tiers to make things more difficult. If synergies are reintroduced, I'm hoping those nodes would go away.

Could you imagine fighting a Killmonger with AW stats that has a permanent "masochism chance" (shrug debuffs and gain health)?
    How about a Medusa War Boss with way more attack power and double up time on Living Strands?
    How about a Hulk that goes indestructible and gains a bar of power instantly when near death?

If those seem ok, then don't forget to add in the AW stat boosts and the crazy nodes like bane, recovery, masochism, dismay, or any other node we already see.

I commend middle-progression players for wanting to make things more interesting in War. If that's really the goal, my advice is to make your roster attractive enough to get into a stronger alliance. The nodes really start getting interesting in Tier 1-3. Defense synergies getting reactivated is very short-sighted. If they are ever reactivated, AW would need a massive correction in node difficulty.

I'd much rather see all existing unique defensive synergies re-worked into abilities that have more offensive applications.

Okay, I see your point but I'm not sure you can see mine :smile:

First - if they can make harder nodes, they can surely make easier nodes. I think it's obvious that if synergies were activated, nodes would require re-doing as many unique synergies act like nodes itself. Which is exactly why I say let synergies do the work instead. We create something additional (nodes) when we have it already coded in our champs? Besides, we had many nodes for people to try and overcome, we know it all now, but synergies of our own champs are the only thing we yet couldn't encounter, we can only use them for attack...Talk about interesting :wink:

Second - your advice for middle-progression players (we are talking relaxed players, mainly Free-to-play, dependent mainly on ME rewards and random events as a source for all progress) is to make roaster more attractive, meaning - as we are talking defense here - rank up your defense champs. That means to invest valuable resources to champs like MODOK, Spider-man, Nightcrawler, Dormammu, Mephisto, Korg etc., in other words champs that won't guarantee you any more progress in game, as they are - by definition - defense champs. I can tell you there is not enough resources for me to keep up with Epic Trials Event (to use recent example) AND upgrade those mentioned champs just one the side at the same time. I need my resources spent as effectively as possible. So this advice is no good.

Synergies on the other way would let me use for example Korg with team of my Ragnarok Thor and Hulk around him as well as Heimdall, all properly ranked up because they have their uses outside the War as well and due the synergies, they would all be quite valuable defenders, not just a meat to smash through. This way, middle progression players would have their way to actually contribute imo.

I guess your concern is that with synergies, difficulty would be off the roof especially in higher tiers of War. But let's be honest - at those tiers, there is 99% whales. They will do and spend as much money and time as needed to get job done and get the best rewards it really doesn't matter how hard it is and how much it cost. I know this is pretty aggressive statement, but I don't think it's very far from reality.

OR they just don't get the job done...that's my last point here in the end:

I know this may seem a bit far-fetched (and it also won't happen so there is no need to talk about it too much) but as I said earlier, I wouldn't mind War concept, where it isn't necessary to defeat the Boss and clear 100% every single time, we can settle Wars with points gained in process and defeating the boss should be really major event of the War, not something on check list you JUST do everytime. But I see this is probably too controversial and it is also another discussion :smile:

Anyway, thanks for your comment.
    Let's be brutally honest. As much as I would want synergies to work in AWD, I know it would wreck the game. Some synergies are just too powerful for AW. The only way they would bearable if the synergies are turned into linked nodes, which you can remove as I suggest here: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/76374/a-possible-solution-to-the-aw-defenders-synergy-problem

This is actually brilliant. I don't have time to look into it properly and I guess there are some bugs that can be found in this but as a concept - brilliant.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Terrible idea is both terrible and unoriginal.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,035 ★★★★★
    Hemdial one team danm when u thinking ther dies u dies
  • SabrefencerSabrefencer Posts: 1,433 ★★★
    edited January 2019
    Terrible idea is both terrible and unoriginal.

Agree. Was just brought up 6 days ago. Page 3 of the forums. Wasn't hard to find.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/118970/war-defense-synergies/p1
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    If they were to make Synergies work in War Defense, I'd think they could only make the Classic/Small Synergies work (Health, Attack, Power, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Armor, Perfect Block Ups). Because if they did allow all Synergies, Defense would be full of nothing but Heimdalls, The Champions + Things, Hulks/Hulk Ragnaroks + Thor Ragnaroks, ect.
    I don't care who came up with it, but I disagree that idea is terrible, it seems to me like great compromise. Synergies would be at least relevant but not necesarilly too hard to fight.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    edited January 2019
    Bad idea and besides, it’d require too much work for kabam to go through and sort all the synergies out.
    Few that’d be quite annoying;

Angela+hela: Happen to have 1-2 of the 11 bosses/minibosses? Pair these 2 up to give your beefy boss champ a chance to heal upto 20% when knocked out.

Heimdall: same scenario as above but gain unstoppable and indestructible when defender hits 1hp, maybe even pair him up with hela and Angela so they have a chance to gain 20% hp too (or trigger 2 separate cheat deaths, not sure how it works)

Bishop: iirc 2 bishops and 3 of his synergy partners are enough to put him within 1 combo of an L3, so throw him on a powerstart node and watch as he gains full power and wipes people with L3s... fun (theoretically and assuming I’m remembering correctly)
    So yeah... lots of work before this idea is a reasonable one
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    Activating synergies in AWD would require a huge shake up in nodes. It would be impossible to just activate synergies on the current map. The result would be catastrophic.
    It really wouldn’t be that hard.

1) Code the game so that single synergies could be deactivated in Alliance War instead of all synergies.

2) Tag the synergies deemed too powerful on Alliance War Defence so they don’t work.

3) Change the in game text to notify players which synergies are off limits.

4) Run beta test

5) Bug fix

6) Release update.

Well this would kind of defeat the purpose of what advocates for AWD synergies want. They want the thorns and revievs and power starts, ect, ect.
  • Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 807 ★★★★
    Ironically enough - fixing the synergy issue would actually be so beneficial for Kabam. They've outright stated that they never expected or intended people to 100% maps like we do; so nodes get more difficult, champions get nerfed or buffed and adjusted, champions that are heavily RNG get released and they're undoubtedly created for the sole purpose of being an insane defender.

However fixing synergies so that they work? Suddenly war becomes much more than it is, alliances can actually put effort into their defenders and placement; it's not an automated process. Who to use as a defender, what teams, who to bring in to attack - it's so much more important. Players and Kabam would both benefit from this so much more.
    Ironically enough - fixing the synergy issue would actually be so beneficial for Kabam. They've outright stated that they never expected or intended people to 100% maps like we do; so nodes get more difficult, champions get nerfed or buffed and adjusted, champions that are heavily RNG get released and they're undoubtedly created for the sole purpose of being an insane defender.

However fixing synergies so that they work? Suddenly war becomes much more than it is, alliances can actually put effort into their defenders and placement; it's not an automated process. Who to use as a defender, what teams, who to bring in to attack - it's so much more important. Players and Kabam would both benefit from this so much more.

It wouldn't just make it "more difficult" it would make it near impossible. What happens when you pair a synergy that gives +1 bar of power to a start with 2 bars of power node? Instant death.

That's just 1 example and I'm sure there are countless other broken combinations out there.
This discussion has been closed.