**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

New Alliance Wars Matchmaking System & Season 8 Details

Comments

• Bash100000Bash100000 Posts: 11
    Everyone who is commenting about start changes - it is still 24 hours any time that is inconvenient for you with the new season must also be inconvenient for you now so nothing changes. Cause if you wait 3 hours to start to be more convenient then the last 3 hours of war must be inconvenient for you. So that does not change - now those with different time zone players I can see you saying player A usually clears a section but now with the new time start he will still be sleeping so you would lose those hours. But unless he is a pilot or your only great player then someone else should be able to adjust to his line.
  • Cranmer00Cranmer00 Posts: 528 ★★
    MaatMan wrote: »
    My only question is exactly how will the matchmaking work?
    Wat determines you opponent being a suitibale match?
    Cus as we have seen two alliances with same alliance rating can be very different strengths when it comes to war. Due to peeps selling / not ranking champs.
    Can you please elaborate as a alot of people will be wondering the same thing.
    @Kabam Miike

We don't talk about our Matchmaking criteria in much detail for a few reasons, including the potential for manipulation with that information. The important part will remain your war rating, as this is a performance based metric that increases and decreases with your wins and losses.

The problem with this is people intentionally dropping wars in offseason and using shell alliances to drop rating. You could increase the time it takes to get rewards in joining a new alliance, but that will end up screwing a lot of ppl over as well.

Have you all found a fix to this problem yet by chance?
  • The idea is Good behind this war matchmaking system but only thing that will be bad is the timing...we people from India will be at Mid Night in the suggested time...what would be a solution for us ?? No matchmaking for Asian time zone ?? Please try to work with that timing but the idea is cool.
  • mad410mad410 Posts: 39
    I'm EET. For me attack will start Friday night and end Saturday night. Dunno about the rest but this is ok till the part where I'll be missing a lot of wars, not because of time zone but Friday to Saturday is down time from everything. I won't be putting off my life every Friday and Sunday because kabam wants me in game. Terrible decision with attack phase in people's down time!
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    Cranmer00 wrote: »

The problem with this is people intentionally dropping wars in offseason and using shell alliances to drop rating. You could increase the time it takes to get rewards in joining a new alliance, but that will end up screwing a lot of ppl over as well.

Have you all found a fix to this problem yet by chance?

Changing more than one thing at a time makes it difficult to determine whether changes have their intended effects. Additionally, Miike recently commented the upcoming matchmaking adjustment was in development for nearly a year. I wouldn’t interpret Kabam not issuing a statement as Kabam not working on a fix for shelll alliance manipulation.
  • Fabi1989Fabi1989 Posts: 112
    What you will do against alliances that drop down his war Rating in off Season? And against alliances that switch After every Season in a lower Rating Alliance?
  • Al3xAl3x Posts: 42
    @Kabam Miike while this is good, this doesnt stop alliances to move to shell alliance to match lower rating alliance. are you guys going to take this into consideration?
  • SWGOH_MosDefSWGOH_MosDef Posts: 145
    edited February 2019
    one possible solution to the player movement challenges that these changes create:

If matchmaking occurred AFTER defense placement, and defense placement was open meaning that players that joined an alliance anytime during defensive placement would be able to place in that war (as long as they placed before matchmaking started). There's really no good reason you'd need to already have a matched opponent when setting your defenders, as you're not supposed to know who your opponent in the war might be and therefore shouldn't have any more information after matchmaking than before that would modify your strategy on setting a defense.

This would carve out an almost 24 hour window each war when people could move between alliances, allowing them to wait for other rewards, finish their own wars, etc. It would actually make the issue of coordinating alliance movements/recruits way easier than today, where you need to create a gap by delaying AW start (or asking your new ally to do so in order to wait for you to join).

And theoretically this would allow you all to let people start their 24 hr attack clock at a time that was variable but convenient for them, with the caveat that delaying their start would eat into their time to place defenders in the next one. I.e. matchmaking could all be started at the same time for every alliance (and defenders would need to be locking in by that time), but Alliance XYZ could choose to start their 24hrs of attack with a 3 hour delay (eating 3 hours of their 20 hr clock to set defense for the next one). Matchmaking has been done, but they're simply holding off until a time convenient for them (selected by officers ahead of time). You'd have alliances finishing attack at a different time (so real time scoreboard watching takes a hit), but all wars would be completed and results would be known before the next matchmaking began.
  • Good start and it's nice to see you guys trying to address some of the problems with AW and matchmaking. This is gonna come off super salty but if you're going to acknowledge people for guessing the solution or helping you guys come up with the solution it should really be the people who have been suggesting this idea 7+ months ago and I'm sure it was brought up even before that. People have spent hours on end posting ideas and suggestions so any indication that they've helped you shape a better game would go a long way to keeping those people motivated and appreciated.

That's actually a great point! We've heard many ideas like this from our players for quite some time now. We started working on this new form of Matchmaking just after Alliance Wars seasons started, and even then we'd heard of something like this from many of our Players.

This kind of system isn't built and implemented in just a few months though, and we'd gone back and forth on how to do it, and when we'd have the capacity to do it.

When I called out @Lagacy in that post for coming close, it's because he just happened to put out a video yesterday that was something pretty close to this. Check it out here and you can see just how close he was.

Our players gave us a lot of great input on this one, so we want to thank you all for your suggestions, and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next!

Haha thanks Miike it’s pretty funny I made the video a day before the announcement what a coincidence. 😂
  • K82K82 Posts: 3
    Well kabam certainly putting in efforts and moving in right direction in making it a fairer aw with these changes . They can’t please everybody on timings I’m sure . Another thing I hope can be implemented in future is I know most have seen alliances docked points list . Shouldn’t the alliance who played fairly against these (docked alliance) actually get the win points ? If not it will just be a scenario where whenever we meet these alliances that pilot or use mods just means losing win bonus points for the fair alliance . If that’s the case the rich alliance just gonna create lots of shell alliance n mod it . It affects whoever they face anyway . Kabam can never stop the cheaters who buy sub accounts and place them in other alliance to purposely spy or give dk . But to those who does it , come on guy , it’s just a game . It’s for enjoyment . Kabam created a fair platform for people to enjoy . If u cheat in such a way , imagine what u do in real life . How can you face your kids / friends etc knowing deep inside u scheme and cheat just in a game . Hahaha
  • unknownunknown Posts: 378
    My alliance always starts wars in the evening around 7-8pm CST because that’s the best way it works with everyone’s schedules. Not being able to have this flexibility for choosing what works best for the alliance is awful. Not to mention how it affects groups with a mix of international players, or those in other time zones.

oh well. Nothing will ever work out for everyone. Just have to adjust to it or don't join.
    This really negatively affects alliances with members in spread out time zones, and especially Eastern Europe and Asian alliances. They will miss a large portion of attack. The loss of start time flexibility will do more harm than good

I think you're wrong. They won't miss any larger portion of attack than anyone else will. The change is better for overall alliances. This will help prevent cheating. I can't wait for this to be implemented.
    QuikPik wrote: »
    A lot of alliances start match making at certain times because it fits their players schedules. Pigeon holing them to a 4 hour random window may not be the best idea.

I disagree. It will prevent cheating. Someone in every alliance should be around to start matchmaking.
    Boozillla wrote: »
    the forced start time is horrible.

no, its the best thing. Will prevent cheating. I'm happy. Tired of facing alliances that are ridiculously higher than us.
    Drooped2 wrote: »
    So hypothetical issue
    Player a sucks and you want to remove him.

Doesnt this extremely limit the time frame you have to recruit someone?
    Before we could end the war boot and have a window to get a new guy in.

Now if new guy isnt ready instantly hes boned. And the allainces goes down a guy?

Or are you requiring us to boot people before rewards now. Cause we tried to be nice and let guys collect for the effort

How does this limit recruit time? You can recruit whenever you want. You dont have to wait for certain times to recruit. Thats ridiculous. Not even an argument
    Love all the complaints by people saying timing is going to be an issue now.

Why was this complaint not made about aq over the years? Aq works but war wont even though it has far less energy requirements?

Also, how many of you complaining about coordination are in top alliances?
    Scared of a fair fight?

Cause it will prevent cheaters from cheating.
  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 254 ★★
    @Kabam Miike during the preseason week will war rating be locked during this time? Or will we have another 3 wars of alliances tanking before the season actually start. I get the preseason so everyone gets comfortable with the new system. Also has the team discussed adding points to alliances that may have lost in seasons to another alliance that was using or determined to be in violation of kabam standards?
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    @Kabam Miike Let me be clear that overall this sounds great, and I appreciate the thought that went into this. I have one significant complaint/suggestion - this does a poor job for players who need to alternate between using champs for AQ and AW.

We always start AQ promptly around 3et and war in the 6-7pm range. In a regular situation, I could run my 4/55 Medusa in AQ, get her out when we finish, and have a few hours to place her on defense. In the configuration posted here, I can only do that if we finish AQ with a couple hours to spare. That seems like a big cost to an alliance that uses the full time to complete the map. Why wouldn’t war start later than AQ?
  • Ankush69Ankush69 Posts: 21
    No wars during one week ,is bad for alliances who are thinking of getting their war rating up like ours.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Can you look at taking out some links in AW now? With war ending at tough times for many people dropping some links would be a HUGE help. Running the middle paths are awful enough when you can choose when your war starts.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    30min timers for war would solve the start time issue
  • ArcDeAngelusArcDeAngelus Posts: 209
    It's a good step forward and will ensure top alliances can't keep avoiding others. However for some lower alliances delaying the start for a couple of hours suits the timezones of the BGs and helps get completions. Either having a couple of opt in time periods to start or shortening the war timers to 30 or 45m would help plenty.
  • What if you don't participate in preseason? Are you able to still enlist for the beginning of the season?

Does it lower your war rating? Just cause a lot of alliances we're losing off season to drop their rating to get better matchups at the beginning of the season.
  • JustapilgrimJustapilgrim Posts: 239 ★★
    Will there be any way to obtain loyalty during the week we have no wars at all? Is anything going to be done about that?
  • MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Draenath wrote: »
    Wow, there is some real hyperbole in this thread about how timezones are going to effect people...

Some, but it will have some impact. Our alliance generally starts matching around 10am (now) or 9am (daylight savings which I don't get) my time, which therefore is also when our wars end. Because of the way timing works in my battlegroup I sometimes take out my miniboss before I head to bed, and sometimes after I wake up in the morning. That start time works well for me. Now, wars will start 9am (now) or 8am my time, and that means during daylight saving days the window for me to wake up and jump in is a lot smaller. I normally wake up about 7:30am, and that will be extremely tight in the future.

Basically wars go from something I can participate in relatively flexibly to something I will have to set an alarm for during half the year. I'll live, but it is an inconvenience and a potential sleep disruption. If I was in Asia and wars were ending at 3am or 4am, things would become very tricky for me to work around. I simply wouldn't be there for the end of any war, which means I would have to make certain my path was done before signing off, and I would be unavailable for any boss kills more or less permanently.

That's not a trivial imposition.

it is going to be a big issue particularly for Aussies and Kiwis (and others in same timezones.
    wars will start at between 5am and 7am depending on daylight savings.
    its gunna be hard working an internationaly ally to get the bg clear with 7hrs to spare so it is done before the aussies sleep.
    eps when we go to sleep alot of the yanks are only just waking up.
  • MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    timezone is really not an issue when an alliance is all in the same timezone as everyone is mostly awake and asleep at the same times anyway.
    you dont have to jump in as soon as it starts.
    it only takes about 12hrs of activity to fully clear if everyone is active at the same time.
    the problem is with international allies. as now we start at a time which is just befor our european guys go to sleep and after all our aussies are awake.
    now the issue will be this.
    aussies go to bed as yanks wake up. so we are stuck at a link waiting for a yank, by the time the wake and clear us we are asleep and will not be awake in time.
    previously war would be later time so we would be awake before it finished.

its gunna be real hard to make timezones work.