**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Endgame Superbowl Trailer Discussion [Merged Threads]

Wakanda4Ever278Wakanda4Ever278 Posts: 1,106 ★★★
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
So, an Endgame trailer dropped, and it was entirely new footage. Any theories? Mine are:

1. Ultron! You heard the "Some people move on....But not us..." At the beginning? You hear it again at the end, but it sounds slightly robotic. Ultron's purpose was to stop threats such as Loki's invasion. Clearly, this counts.

2. Tony and Nebula's arrival! A few Avengers gathered in the field near the Avengers base, looking up at a blueish light. Can't be Captain Marvel, her power is yellow. It's the light from the Benetar.

3. What are Tony and Nebula welding in the Benetar? A body for a Ultron/Friday? Fixing Tony's suit? A beacon?

Any other theories?
Post edited by Kabam Lyra on

Comments

• DoctorJDoctorJ Posts: 842 ★★★
    I dont think thats Ultron. Sounds like Chris Evans to me.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,760 ★★★★★
    Honestly, Ultron in the MCU was kinda badass in its own way.
  • Yellow8FellowYellow8Fellow Posts: 186 ★★
    edited February 2019
    But on top of that, it looks like Rocket Racoon is going into what looks like Thanos' home on that mysterious planet. Maybe they're gonna have a talk of morality, or talk about the people they lost (Thanos lost Gamora, Rocket lost Groot), making Thanos feel regretful.

Also it seems like a lot of time has passed since Infinity War, maybe a year or less. The poster "Where do we go now that they're gone" makes it seem that way. Was that poster talking about the people that were snapped or have the Avengers disbanded? All these questions in my mind.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,175 ★★★★★
    I like how they're marketing the movie.
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    Just here to say Brady’s the GOAT lol
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    The only exciting part of the game yesterday was probably the End Game trailer:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iFq6IcAxBc

But I noticed someone in the comments noticed that the voices go
    Tony
    Thanos
    Cap
    ?

Some people say Hawkeye, others say Ultron, others say its still cap. Who do you guys think it is?
  • Philly3974Philly3974 Posts: 360
    This site had some good info and speculation on Endgame
    https://screenrant.com/avengers-endgame-super-bowl-trailer-breakdown/
  • Ben345qBen345q Posts: 168
    can someone post a link? missed it, that what you get when you watch the super bowl with your four crazy children 🙄
  • HolyDracHolyDrac Posts: 106
    Makes sense. Vision is dead, they need another AI hero like Ultron was originally meant to be.
  • Philly3974Philly3974 Posts: 360
    Ben345q wrote: »
    can someone post a link? missed it, that what you get when you watch the super bowl with your four crazy children 🙄

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-9Lcgbr78WA

@Ben345q
    edited February 2019
    https://youtu.be/tmeOjFno6Do

Go to 1:22 of this AoU trailer and tell me that’s not the exact same robotic “drawl” in this Endgame trailer. Idek how Ultron will fit but this...this is gonna be epic : D

I’ve come to my own conclusion that it’s definitely Ultron.

Just thinking of this now, remember how in Infinity War, they commented on how Vision was part Tony, Part Banner, part Mind Gem, part Jarvis, and finally, part Ultron? “Maybe there will be enough vision left without the stone” (fake quote but basically the same gist)

Shuri could have “downloaded” the different aspects of Vision, namely Ultron, Tony and Jarvis. Tony could die on the Benetar and Stark-Enhanced Ultro-Vision could be a big player in the Endgame.
    edited February 2019

I could understand and respect that opinion. It's a different take on the character, and he managed to acomplish some tasks such as killing Quicksilver.

It's just that I can't really see someone like Ultron have a sense of humor. The trait that usually makes Ultron so terrifying is his lack of emotion and humanity, but the movie just decided to make him something else.

If Ultron does come back, I hope they get rid of those emotions. And change the design.
    Just noticed something when rewatching the trailer. Notice Clint's stance in his shot. Then notice that his hands aren't visible. Then notice that the shot after it with the shield has someone's knee and both hands in the shot. The shield is being tightened, presumably to an arm smaller than Steve's. Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that there are small gold outlines on the fingerless gloves in that shot. Ronin is using Steve's shield?

Just a hunch...

So Hawkeye will finally prove himself and become the one that saves the universe? Awesome! :D
  • Honestly, Ultron in the MCU was kinda badass in its own way.

I could understand and respect that opinion. It's a different take on the character, and he managed to acomplish some tasks such as killing Quicksilver.

It's just that I can't really see someone like Ultron have a sense of humor. The trait that usually makes Ultron so terrifying is his lack of emotion and humanity, but the movie just decided to make him something else.

If Ultron does come back, I hope they get rid of those emotions. And change the design.

Generally, the movies make all characters something else. I personally think they do a good job of balancing the desire to draw inspiration from the comic books while not being beholden to them in ways that detract from making the movies stand for their own thing. YMMV.

My own recollection of Ultron is that most of his incarnations were not emotionless. They might have been cold and calculating but they also were motivated by at least some base drives. He hated his creator originally, for example, and hated the Avengers for foiling his plots in the past. Personally I think the MCU version of Ultron wasn't as fleshed out as I think he should have been, but I think making him an emotionless killerbot would have likely been worse in the movie. It wouldn't have been a good foil for the MCU Avengers in my opinion.

It might have been an interesting thing to do far downstream. The interesting thing about the Borg in STTNG was not that they were emotionless per se, it was that they were designed to take all of the Federation's normal advantages and completely nullify them. The Borg don't want anything from the Federation in a normal sense, so there's nothing to negotiate. They are completely dispassionate, so they can't be tricked. And they absorb and assimilate technology so the Federation's often superior technology is worthless. A cold and calculating Ultron might have been an interesting foil for the MCU Avengers after they had been on screen for long enough that we know how they ultimately win. Once how they win becomes a trope, Ultron could have become their Borg: something that takes all of those expected strengths and reverses them. But I think Age of Ultron was too early for that. The MCU Avengers needed a normal adversary with comprehensible motivations and a need to confront the Avengers.
    Concerning Ultrons appeal to me, and probably others, knowing The Blacklist’s Raymond Reddington (James Spader) was playing Ultron, his “humor”/philosophical monologues made him more intimidating
    Okay, here's my final answer:

The Avengers will retrieve the downloaded data from Vision in Wakanda. Since Vision is destroyed, they'll need a body to put the data into. Clint is gonna be sent to a ruined Sokovia to retrieve a Sub-Ultron body (alluded to in Homecoming). That's the red light, from the remaining explosive core parts that got destroyed. They're gonna be talking in the base, and since they don't have all of his data, the new Ultron is going to be stuck echoing others. Steve will say "But not us" and Ultron will say it back, as a sign that he is cooperative.

Also, when Cap looks that the picture of Peggy in trailer 1, I think he'll need to throw her for the Soul Stone. They've been subtly referencing her and their missed dance all through the MCU. After her sacrifice, Cap will stay in the past, finally living out the rest of his life in peace...

The first one has to happen. The second might, but not sure as of now.

An Ultron that starts echoing personalities and doesn't become evil instantly would be interesting. Maybe once he confronts Thanos, he would echo Thanos' twisted philosophy and combine it with the Avengers' philosophy to follow his own path and become a villain again. Or slowly become a villain.

For the Cap theory, maybe he has to sacrifice not Peggy herself, but the idea of Peggy since she died years ago. As he does it Cap moves with his life, no longer being a person trapped in two time periods.

Both of my theories are possibly wrong.
  • Okay, here's my final answer:

The Avengers will retrieve the downloaded data from Vision in Wakanda. Since Vision is destroyed, they'll need a body to put the data into. Clint is gonna be sent to a ruined Sokovia to retrieve a Sub-Ultron body (alluded to in Homecoming). That's the red light, from the remaining explosive core parts that got destroyed. They're gonna be talking in the base, and since they don't have all of his data, the new Ultron is going to be stuck echoing others. Steve will say "But not us" and Ultron will say it back, as a sign that he is cooperative.

Also, when Cap looks that the picture of Peggy in trailer 1, I think he'll need to throw her for the Soul Stone. They've been subtly referencing her and their missed dance all through the MCU. After her sacrifice, Cap will stay in the past, finally living out the rest of his life in peace...

The first one has to happen. The second might, but not sure as of now.

The first one I honestly think there's no time for in a three hour (or less) movie. There's so much to do: Ant Man has to figure into how the remaining Avengers decide there's a way to undo the Snapture. Tony and Nebula have to do their thing and get back to Earth. There's an entire subplot involving Hawkeye that has been alluded to be a very big subplot to the entire theme of the Infinity War/Endgame movies. I can't figure out where the time is going to come from to have an Ultron subplot that doesn't seem critical to resolving all the story arcs of the main Avengers.

The second one, I think is more likely in reverse. Meaning, I think it is more likely that Cap sacrifice himself and end up in the Soul-o-verse with Peggy than he somehow gets into a position to sacrifice her to get the Soul Stone.
  • For the Cap theory, maybe he has to sacrifice not Peggy herself, but the idea of Peggy since she died years ago. As he does it Cap moves with his life, no longer being a person trapped in two time periods.

It is possible he is an unreliable narrator, but Red Skull tells Thanos in Infinity War that the Soul Stone "demands a sacrifice ... In order to take the stone you must lose that which you love: a soul for a soul." The implication is that the Soul Stone requires the wielder to sacrifice a literal soul to gain its power.
  • FelganosFelganos Posts: 259 ★★
    https://youtu.be/tmeOjFno6Do

Go to 1:22 of this AoU trailer and tell me that’s not the exact same robotic “drawl” in this Endgame trailer. Idek how Ultron will fit but this...this is gonna be epic : D

I’ve come to my own conclusion that it’s definitely Ultron.

Just thinking of this now, remember how in Infinity War, they commented on how Vision was part Tony, Part Banner, part Mind Gem, part Jarvis, and finally, part Ultron? “Maybe there will be enough vision left without the stone” (fake quote but basically the same gist)

Shuri could have “downloaded” the different aspects of Vision, namely Ultron, Tony and Jarvis. Tony could die on the Benetar and Stark-Enhanced Ultro-Vision could be a big player in the Endgame.

Actually, even back in Avengers AOU, when the avengers ask Vision "What are you?" he replies that he is half Ultron, half Jarvis. My theory is that the part of him that Shuri managed to finish downloading was Ultron.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

My own recollection of Ultron is that most of his incarnations were not emotionless. They might have been cold and calculating but they also were motivated by at least some base drives. He hated his creator originally, for example, and hated the Avengers for foiling his plots in the past. Personally I think the MCU version of Ultron wasn't as fleshed out as I think he should have been, but I think making him an emotionless killerbot would have likely been worse in the movie. It wouldn't have been a good foil for the MCU Avengers in my opinion.

You are right that Ultron was never completely emotionless; he had the copied brain waves and emotions of Hank Pym. This is why Ultron would sometimes question his own "purpose" or seek out a bride (Jocasta). But despite that his, emotions weren't as dominant as his cold and robotic mindset, unlike the his film portrayal where emotions were fully intact. I'm starting to think the real problem is that Ultron in the MCU was an evil copy of Tony Stark, rather than in the comics where he was a copy of Hank Pym. That may sound like a fan just getting upset at inaccuracies but hear me out. Tony Stark at his worst is still funny and witty and just acts like a jerk (when he's not drunk). On the other hand, Comics Hank Pym at his worst, is aggressive, violent, and over obsessive. That's one factor that made comics Ultron so unsettling, was that he still attributed the same negative emotions of a man as unstable as Hank Pym. I feel like giving Ultron the mindset of Tony Stark just made him too tame since his sense of humor conflicted with his robotic tone.

DNA3000 wrote: »

It might have been an interesting thing to do far downstream. The interesting thing about the Borg in STTNG was not that they were emotionless per se, it was that they were designed to take all of the Federation's normal advantages and completely nullify them. The Borg don't want anything from the Federation in a normal sense, so there's nothing to negotiate. They are completely dispassionate, so they can't be tricked. And they absorb and assimilate technology so the Federation's often superior technology is worthless. A cold and calculating Ultron might have been an interesting foil for the MCU Avengers after they had been on screen for long enough that we know how they ultimately win. Once how they win becomes a trope, Ultron could have become their Borg: something that takes all of those expected strengths and reverses them. But I think Age of Ultron was too early for that. The MCU Avengers needed a normal adversary with comprehensible motivations and a need to confront the Avengers.

I've never seen Star Trek: The Next Gen, but I can see what you're trying to convey. At a filming stand point, I feel like having an emotionless and powerful Ultron appear later would be a better decision, because I feel the Avengers wouldn't have prepared for something so terrifying after just one movie. But since Ultron is the second movie villain, they decided to just under power him to make him more of a small obstacle, since having an unstoppable force as their second villain would have been too soon.