**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Parry Possibly Not Always Firing?

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if others are experiencing the same thing. Pool your thoughts, links, and footage here so the team can have a look and help get this resolved if there is in fact a problem. Thanks all!

https://youtu.be/TGB3UMAkzDA

Comments

• StarhawkStarhawk Posts: 614 ★★★
    Most recently noticed in AQ. The champ i'm fightingin in each instance does not have any masteries or anything that would result in me missing 100% of my parry attempts. Once it doesn't work it doesn't work until I either beat the champ or i'm KO. Next fight I'm usually ok. This is resulting in my having to use revives/health potions when I shouldn't have to. I am not the only one in my alliance complaining of this issue. It only started to happen in the last couple of weeks and only ever happens on one of my 2 phones.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,760 ★★★★★
    Who was the opponent? Quest? Nodes?
  • StarhawkStarhawk Posts: 614 ★★★
    Who was the opponent? Quest? Nodes?

its only map 4. can't remember the opponent but it was the node right before the punisher on the left hand side of today's AQ. There was only global buffs on the champ (Iso-Infused 25% attack and health). This is not a node that should have had such consequences.
  • borntohulaborntohula Posts: 447 ★★★
    edited February 2019
    Exact same thing. In some fights to the point that I actually wonder if I’ve missed a node description, and whomever I’m fighting is actually stun immune. I can miss five in a row these days. That many misses rare, fortunately, rare, but not unheard of.

I don’t have footage or a solid grasp on it, but I do feel it’s happening more versus higher PI opponents. Eg Sinister in this months’s uncollected. I tend to file it away under ‘you probably aren’t used to fighting this champ’ yet, but it is real weird.

If a fight starts off like this, I often revert to intercept only. I just know that if it happens once, it’s likely to happen again.

iPhone X. WiFi. Fairly end game player: Act V done, first LOL run done, First Variant chapter explored, did one run through the others.
  • John7519John7519 Posts: 22
    @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Wolf
    Please address this, and not just close the thread. I’ve experienced the same thing, but don’t have access to the resources to illustrate it like Dork lessons. Thank you in advance, and hope you folks have a good weekend. 👍😁
  • Ch1efsterCh1efster Posts: 476 ★★★
    I've noticed this a lot also. It has gotten worse after the last update. Appears to me, they altered the AI a bit. Since last update, they seem more defensive. And after you combo them, they seem to pause just a split second longer before they try to counter to throw off the parry timing a bit.
  • NOMFNOMF Posts: 43
    I can only parry successfully in arena. Playing the event quest is pointless since I cannot parry.
  • gforcefangforcefan Posts: 381 ★★★
    This is happening to me also. I was afraid everyone would just chalk it up to lack of skills. I may not be great, but since I've completed chapter 5, I should know how to parry.

borntohula - when I faced Emma in this month's EQ I swore I must of missed that she was stun immune. Tried a second character, same thing. I didn't get a parry until my 3rd fight with her.
  • Kybeans777Kybeans777 Posts: 14
    Definitely having this issue as well Dave. This update has just made the game almost unplayable at this point.
  • lagulamalagulama Posts: 38
    I think the harder the content, the harder we'll get a parry. Experienced this the hard way when doing that trial of the alchemist and fighting an iceman. At the start of the fight, I noticed I executed a perfect block (0 damage) that should've gotten a parry, but Iceman's ice armor didn't go down and there's no green text that say "parry".
    Plus, another annoying thing is that in harder contents, kabam will speed up the enemies' animation (yes kabam, we can see this) so maybe parries not working have got something to do with that.
  • trmeccatrmecca Posts: 24
    Thanks Dave.. it's been mentioned numerous times for the last two months but has not been addressed by Kabam. Not throwing shade but we get the same general response to report it in bugs with device, connection, etc.. but it's too common to be limited to a small group in the community... See here...

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/721270#Comment_721270
  • 4Never4Never Posts: 84
    I've definitely noticed a tighter/smaller window to get a parry (on at least some content/AI) recently. It could be under x circumstances, or something is adversely affecting it, or it was an intended adjustment.

If it was intended, I question if Kabam should be transparent about these types of AI changes. When we are doing thousands of fights, the skilled and experienced, can intuitively tell when something is off. At first we may question ourselves, and possibly automatically adjust, but *IF* Kabam is slowing making changes to basic mechanics (to possibly increase difficulty - admittedly inconclusive if and why), and as the tolerances decrease enough, we will notice. It's just annoying and frustrating to go though the initial doubt phase to eventually arrive at the reality, and then have to put together the evidence.

I've always wondered if there should be an AI difficulty indicator of sorts. Going by champion rating/PI alone isn't enough to gauge fight difficulty.
  • borntohulaborntohula Posts: 447 ★★★
    gforcefan wrote: »
    This is happening to me also. I was afraid everyone would just chalk it up to lack of skills. I may not be great, but since I've completed chapter 5, I should know how to parry.

borntohula - when I faced Emma in this month's EQ I swore I must of missed that she was stun immune. Tried a second character, same thing. I didn't get a parry until my 3rd fight with her.

I kid you not - I thought she was immune until I somehow accidentally got a parry in. I forgot about the fight, because it was so easy. But, yes, exact same experience. I just fought her as if stun immune.
  • Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Thank you for the detailed video, @DorkLessons. We'll pass it along for the team to have a look at.

THANK YOU!! :-)
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Hamin wrote: »
    Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Hi @DorkLessons,
    To prevent spamming block to activate Parry without skilled timing by the player, another short timer is in place that will not allow Parry to activate if the player blocks again within that window.

I've been playing for 3 years, and I've never seen this caveat.

I do believe it's important to add information like this in the ability description. I mean... this is a HUGE difference maker.
    I’ve also been playing for 3 years and never seen it in writing that I recall (might be something in old patch notes maybe 7-8 updates ago) but I have been able to observe it for quite a long time. While “the window” has been adjusted over time “the window” is in one of it’s shortest timings that I can remember for quite a long time. This is favorable to the player.

Example, parrying IMIW like this wouldn’t have been possible with older timings for ”the window”.
    https://youtu.be/TvN-lmWu55s

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Hi @DorkLessons,

Thanks again for the video. The team has taken a look at it and wanted to share some insight. As you know, Parry is very timing specific and the timing window to activate it is extremely small. How it works is that after the player presses block, a small timing window begins that will allow Parry to trigger. If an attack is blocked during this very small window, the Parry will activate.

To prevent spamming block to activate Parry without skilled timing by the player, another short timer is in place that will not allow Parry to activate if the player blocks again within that window.

The very specific timing required to activate Parry is why you may see results like those in your video.

Hope that helps to explain!

This is the opposite of transparency. The window was changed. Admit it, look at if it was changed too much, and we all can move on.
    It was changed? Prove it, the Parry window is the same today as it was as early as just after IMIW, well at least on iPad. ;)

This discussion has been closed.