**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

New Alliance Wars Matchmaking System & Season 8 Details

Comments

• Munrolm02Munrolm02 Posts: 88
    @Kabam Miike garbage match making brother, I'm on Silver team with 15 members and we are facing Master Alliance not even in the same tier or the same facility. We've decided not to even bother with war what's the point of wasting money on this new and improved matchmaking system. We did our matchmaking 5 days ago and this is what the result is. Our Victory is 94 points awarded but our defeat we only lose four points this is worse than before
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,135 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    *** PLEASE READ IF YOUR WAR START TIME SEEMS EARLIER THAN YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE ***

Since the thread is long and it seems people are jumping into the thread now on the start times of the war that just started, its probably worth summarizing the discussions surrounding war start times that occurred yesterday.

The original announcement said this:
    Matches will be given over the course of a 4 hour Matchmaking Phase, followed by a 20 hour Defense Placement phase, and a 24 hour Attack Phase.

It is a little ambiguous what "given over the course of a four hour phase" means, but the accompanying chart in the announcement seemed to suggest that all start times would be identical: at 11:00 Pacific.

@Kabam Miike explicitly stated this in a post in this thread: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/719082/#Comment_719082
    When a match is found does not determine when your Attack phase will start. Attack Phase will now start at the same time, every time.

However, this is NOT how the system is implemented, per @Kabam Lyra https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/733639/#Comment_733639
    This is how the matchmaking system is meant to function, but we're sorry that our announcement post did not have enough detail. How the matchmaking system works is that everyone enters the matchmaking phase at the same time, but throughout the matchmaking period, once your Alliance has found a match, the Defense phase of the war will begin and the Attack phase will begin 20 hours later.

This somewhat staggered approach is necessary because of the server strain that would be caused if all wars began at exactly the same time.

The bottom line: as the system is currently implemented, all alliances Enlisted for the next war will enter the Enlistment phase at 11:00 Pacific. Over the next four hours (possibly less) each alliance will be matched against an opponent, and as soon as that match is set those two alliances will immediately enter defense placement phase. Defense placement is 20 hours, regardless of when it starts, and attack phase starts immediately afterwards. This means your alliance's attack phase can start ANYWHERE between 7:00 Pacific and 11:00 Pacific.

I repeat: Alliance War Attack start times will now be anywhere between 7:00 am Pacific and 11:00 am Pacific. And you won't know where in that interval it will start (but it will be 20 hours after defense placement starts). It could be the same next war, it could be different.

The chart is super misleading. Defense placement and Attack are not aligned, and @Kabam Miike was wrong about his interpretation of the system. We now know pretty much with certainty that @Kabam Lyra statement is true, given the staggered starts people have already reported.

Feel free to complain about it (I think it is horrible), but it isn't bugged. This is what Kabam intended to do all along.
    Any explins for the mismatch is stil alive this system shuld hav provent it but that Not the case
    The system is bugge somhow
  • Tim2000zzTim2000zz Posts: 19
    The 4 hour matchmaking system needs to be exactly 4 hours later, 11am pst -3pm pst is 4 hours sooner than war usually starts, that's unacceptable, for the past 3 years war has started and ended between 5 or 6pm pst (2pm-3pm est) so why change everything? Make the 4 hour matchmaking time 3pm-7pm pst so war can start and end at the same time it always has for the past 3 years. My alliance, which has worked hard to maintain gold 1 for 5 seasons will he devastated by this extremely dramatic time change, it cant continue like this and NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED IMMEDIATELY!
  • Eric987Eric987 Posts: 78
    The starting time issues are extremely annoying but the biggest issue is still the matchmaking system. How are top master allies getting these ridiculous matchups? We have a fair matchup (+33 and -32) but some of the other allies in the master bracket have extremely easy matchups. This aspect needs to be fixed before seasons start.
  • XygonXygon Posts: 123
    *** PLEASE READ IF YOUR WAR START TIME SEEMS EARLIER THAN YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE ***

Since the thread is long and it seems people are jumping into the thread now on the start times of the war that just started, its probably worth summarizing the discussions surrounding war start times that occurred yesterday.

Thank you for summarizing it so well. And including the definitely inconsistent statements and why we might have interpreted it one way versus another (because even the Miike vs Lyra did the same).

The chart and the description are radically different than the implementation, and I was actually hopeful for the consistent start time, as at least one can plan for it, and it played nicely with AQ. The actual implementation is much more difficult.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    It’s hard to see how starting every war hours earlier than any war has ever started before makes sense. Clearly the system is also still producing huge mismatches. At least our opponent is tanking though and didn’t place any defense lol.
  • Xygon wrote: »

Thank you for summarizing it so well. And including the definitely inconsistent statements and why we might have interpreted it one way versus another (because even the Miike vs Lyra did the same).

The chart and the description are radically different than the implementation, and I was actually hopeful for the consistent start time, as at least one can plan for it, and it played nicely with AQ. The actual implementation is much more difficult.

Consistent and locked in start time was problematic for many alliances. But the actual system does something far worse. Not only are start times not guaranteed to be consistent, they are now four hours earlier than they used to be. The vast overwhelming majority of alliances were starting wars between 11:00 am Pacific (when matching officially opens) and about 5pm Pacific (the latest you can probably reasonably go at least early on to still have a shot at three wars in the week with the full 24 hour attack time). No alliance could possibly be starting wars between 7am and 11am under the old system and still expect to fight all three wars.

So the new system is both variable start times, and *also* pushed into a window that practically no one was starting in in the first place. That is the most disruptive possible way to do it, and it wasn't necessary. Even with variable start, Kabam could have pushed match making to 15:00 - 19:00, which then meant actual attack phases would be starting between 11:00 and 15:00 which is when they were starting for most alliances in the first place.
  • Yohanbark420Yohanbark420 Posts: 92
    Community needs to come together like when they wanted to do away with diversity. Changes need to be made. This current system does not work.
  • @DNA3000 - Your assertion that the staggered start times were intended is likely correct. Sad as that is. Whether it was or wasn't, there's INDEFINITELY some conflicting information given. No question about that one. You laid it out quite nicely. Good looks! Also, as you said it, (and others with different words, myself included) this is horrible.

While coming at this situation with what appeared to be the best of intentions, things did not pan out right. The matches shown previously prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Coupled with unbelievably early start times... yeah, this is no good. How many more posts will it take for them to figure out something needs to be done? Shut it down guys. It was a misfire for sure.
  • 1982richard1982richard Posts: 32
    Start aw at the same time as aq and make the match making fair. This is horrible start time for europe! That 4 our window for starting is just stupid and taking down our aw fun
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Initiate matchmaking AFTER defense placement phase.

This is an excellent suggestion
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    No new comments from the mods? We need an explanation.
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,501 ★★★★★
    At least if all the start times were 11 PST, some of us would have enough time to clear AQ before the attack phase started. Now it will be impossible to use AQ attackers as AW defenders. Keep spreading us more and more thin.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    Well they kept the links. It's 3:15 and I've been sitting at node 30 for about 45 min and most of my BG hasn't joined cause they're at work. Wonder when I'll finally get unlinked.
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,501 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    AND YOU STILL DIDN'T PROVIDE ALL THE INFO.

Defensive Placement Period last for 20 hours. Therefore AW start times will fall between 7 am PST and 11am PST.

This shouldn't be that difficult.

I'm far less concerned with a mistake that was made by the mods in describing how this would work, and am far more concerned about how the devs think this if a better system. It's garbage. The only reason I can conceivably think Kabam is pushing this system is so that you are required to choose specific champs for AW and AQ. No finishing AQ early and then placing defenders.
  • 1982richard1982richard Posts: 32
    edited February 2019
    What a stupid system. It will cost you a lot of players from europe. It starts to early!!!! Let the aw start at the same time as AQ
  • @DNA3000 - Your assertion that the staggered start times were intended is likely correct.

According to @Kabam Lyra the game starts every war as soon as the match is found because this spreads the load out among the servers that run war, and the servers can't handle all of the wars starting essentially at the same time. So it must have been intentional for the wars to start over a period of time rather than all of them at the depicted start time.
  • QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 806 ★★★★
    @DNA3000 - Your assertion that the staggered start times were intended is likely correct.

According to @Kabam Lyra the game starts every war as soon as the match is found because this spreads the load out among the servers that run war, and the servers can't handle all of the wars starting essentially at the same time. So it must have been intentional for the wars to start over a period of time rather than all of them at the depicted start time.

But AQ starts for everyone at the same time and the servers can handle that.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    QuikPik wrote: »
    But AQ starts for everyone at the same time and the servers can handle that.

AQ + AW > AQ
  • bdawg923bdawg923 Posts: 753 ★★★★
    I am even more confused that before. This system makes no sense. We just want to start wars in the middle of the day USA time. Somewhere from 2 pm ET - 4 pm ET. Is that possible? How do we do that? Do we have to enlist at a certain time? I'm so lost
  • Yohanbark420Yohanbark420 Posts: 92
    This time system is break up alot of ally with players from different countries. This system is stupid. Ally's specifically start wars at certain times to accomadate their players. I personally have to work 5 to 3pm est. I'm gonna miss the whole main parts of war! This is so broken.
  • QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 806 ★★★★
    bdawg923 wrote: »
    I am even more confused that before. This system makes no sense. We just want to start wars in the middle of the day USA time. Somewhere from 2 pm ET - 4 pm ET. Is that possible? How do we do that? Do we have to enlist at a certain time? I'm so lost

It is not possible with the new system. All attack phases will start between 10am - 2pm EST.
  • bdawg923bdawg923 Posts: 753 ★★★★
    QuikPik wrote: »
    bdawg923 wrote: »

It is not possible with the new system. All attack phases will start between 10am - 2pm EST.

Well sh!t