**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

New Alliance Wars Matchmaking System & Season 8 Details

Comments

• ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    You can enlist for your next war anytime during your attack phase. There is plenty of time.
  • BrandoniusBrandonius Posts: 292
    It wouldn’t allow them
  • Agree wholeheartedly
    New war is +96/-17. @Kabam Miike y’all should consider delaying the season until this is fixed and the start time issue is resolved

• BrandoniusBrandonius Posts: 292
    gte5oro9er9w.jpeg
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,108 ★★★★★
    zuffy wrote: »
    Did I missed an enlistment????

The note say sun, wed and Friday at 3pm pst

ccij24132owm.png

Looks like it

Samething happened to us war ended, match making started right after which barred us from this war.

This new system is a mess, didn't even give us any time to start a new one.
    @zuffy , this one's enrollment STARTED last Wed at (whatever time), and needed to be enrolled BEFORE the 2pm EST (11 PST) time. Then actual matchmaking started. You missed it.

But you can Enroll today for the Sunday war.

I don't think that is the case my alliance enrolled in that war, we finished it then almost immediately after that ended match making started baring us from Sundays war

That is what I want to know. We finish war this morning around 10:40am EST and now it's matchmaking?
  • TheRealApocTheRealApoc Posts: 320 ★★
    Can we at least go back to the old start times for AW at 2 pm EST. That was the old matchmaking time. These 9 am EST times are odd. If this topic has been brought up already please forgive me I didn't see it.
  • Wiredawg1 wrote: »
    What happened to aw starting between 11-7 pacific. This time frame seemed to work for everyone. Now we get aw starting at 9 am and 730 am. You expect people to be up that early to finish an aw?

Under the current system, attack phase can theoretically start any time between 7am and 11am Pacific. Probably most likely between 7am and 9am. But Kabam did state yesterday that they were reviewing possible changes to the system, including changes to the schedule of phases.
  • Another 7:30am PST war.... This is ridiculous
  • The new system doesn't take into account the results of the last war in matchmaking.

This is because the current match can complete after matchmaking occurs.

If that occurred that's probably a bug, because the current system is supposed to start matching only after all wars have completed.

However, it just occurred to me that the system as described contains a lurking landmine with regards to this. If it ever happens that an alliance gets matched on or very close to 3pm Pacific, near the end of the match making window, their war will start and end on or just before 11am Pacific. That means this war will end just ahead of, or possibly right at the moment that match making starts. But it takes some finite amount of time for the game to actually calculate the results of the war. So it seems technically possible for match making to start while a war hasn't been fully calculated.

Maybe the system has safeguards to account for this, but then again given everything that has gone wrong with it so far (just in terms of obvious match making bugs and the like) this isn't a safe bet.
  • Fantasy_91Fantasy_91 Posts: 243
    SummonerNR wrote: »
    War already MATCHED for us today, about 3 hours faster than on Wed. (?)
    We only run 2 group wars, so wondering if Kabam changed it to Matching 1 and 2 group wars first this time, instead of matching 3 group wars first which seemed to be the case on Wed. ??? Trying to push back the primary.3 group matching a little bit because of all the outrage ?

We ran 2 bgs last time and got matched within 30 mins. This time we ran 1 bg and got matched after 100 mins.
  • Markg25 wrote: »
    Agreed I’m not a fan of this new system at all ....

We should be able to pick our start times.

To fully take away match manipulation, it would be very difficult to allow players to choose their start times as we used to. You have to do weird things with the schedule, or allow both sides in the same war to start and end at different times. I doubt Kabam would go for any of that.

But they can shift the start times back to roughly where they were for the vast majority of players, and they can also do better than saying "somewhere in a four hour window." For example, since they are supposed to be matching from top to bottom, they could give guidance like "tiers 1 through 3 will be matching between 3pm and 3:30pm Pacific, tiers 4 through 7 will be matching between 3:30pm and 4:00pm, tiers 8-10 will be matching between 4:00pm and 4:30pm, etc." That way every alliance would know within approximately half an hour when their wars would be starting and ending.

(Note: matching at 3pm means defense runs from 3pm to 11am the next day, and then attack starts and stops at 11am in the following days).
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    Markg25 wrote: »
    Agreed I’m not a fan of this new system at all ....

We should be able to pick our start times.

To fully take away match manipulation, it would be very difficult to allow players to choose their start times as we used to. You have to do weird things with the schedule, or allow both sides in the same war to start and end at different times. I doubt Kabam would go for any of that.

It sucks that what impacted only some alliances has to now upset everyone else's experience.
  • SiriusBreakSiriusBreak Posts: 2,156 Guardian
    edited February 2019

ccij24132owm.png

You're able to enlist in the next war during the placement phase of the current, AND during attack phase. If your Alliance plans on running 3 wars per cycle, enlistment must be done during said 44 hour period. There's 4 hours where Enlistment is down, and that's during matchmaking. So once placement phase starts, the Enlistment for the next war opens. Tap Enlist during the aforementioned time. Don't wait for attack phase to end. In certain cases, you might miss the Enlistment opp.
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    Wait, we can't run attack on Thursday and Saturday anymore either ? This new system really is worse than before.

Please roll it back before the start of the season. Wars should be made at the alliances convenience, not set up arbitrarily by Kabam when it adds more stress to an already stressful game mode.
  • Kuzuri_1832Kuzuri_1832 Posts: 203
    My alliance will miss this next war because we haven't been able to enlist, not for a lack of trying. Good thing it's the off-season, but still shards and practice will be lost.

This fix was to prevent people missing out on finding a match, I've never missed a war since seasons started, yet here we are about to miss my first war.

This fix was to prevent Master alliances matching up with Gold alliances, yet we've seen plenty of screenshots floating around that prove otherwise.

This fix was to stop collusion by the Masters and Platinum alliances, meanwhile all tiers are suffering from the bad start/end times, we cannot be expected to make last minute tweaks to defensive placements, or down to the wire boss kills at 7am PST.

0/3 on this (untested) matchmaking update, in my opinion.
  • RC51RC51 Posts: 194
    Hopefully my timezone calculations aren't as off as @Kabam Miike's were ;) it's in a really wide Google Sheet:

http://tiny.cc/AW2019
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Well this war is starting at 9AM Saturday and ending 9am Sunday. Awesome!
  • C4LH3LH4C4LH3LH4 Posts: 84
    zk55h0kmgy1t.jpeg

What the hell!
  • Darkstar4387Darkstar4387 Posts: 2,145 ★★★

ccij24132owm.png

You're able to enlist in the next war during the placement phase of the current, AND during attack phase. If your Alliance plans on running 3 wars per cycle, enlistment must be done during said 44 hour period. There's 4 hours where Enlistment is down, and that's during matchmaking. So once placement phase starts, the Enlistment for the next war opens. Tap Enlist during the aforementioned time. Don't wait for attack phase to end. In certain cases, you might miss the Enlistment opp.

In some cases it wouldn't let people do that, this system really isn't that well thought out and has had some major issues already which makes me think they didn't really test it enough.

I liked the control the last one gave us this one is to random and we almost missed the last one because it almost timed out, they either need to revamp it or roll it back
  • VoodooCVoodooC Posts: 7
    mp1nbfxxc61w.png
    Well this is a great system....NOT!!!
  • Not sure what's up with that. I de-enlisted and re-enlisted without issue. Only to end up de-enlisting AGAIN as we opted out of the war due to the current rewards debacle and coupled with an imminent player swap. Didn't want to screw them out of rewards they earned before departure so we decided not to run war. Once Matchmaking ends, I'm gonna test our Enlistment system to see if the same occurs.
  • Exactly as stated. These new war starting times means unless aussies and co want to get up at 3 am they may as well not enlist
  • Thank you @Kabam Miike for acknowledging that there are some serious shortcomings with AW currently. Along with "looking into improvements ", please either roll back the update or postpone Season 8 indefinitely until this is sorted out. The season would be an absolute failure under this format.
  • TdogTdog Posts: 25
    I didn’t read through the whole thread but if Kabam actually acknowledged there are serious issues with the new war system, that’s great. Now do something about it. Pronto.
  • Shadow_walkShadow_walk Posts: 19
    This needs back tracking or sticking to the original template laid out in the infographic. AQ starts around that time so starting war within one hour of it would make sense. Alliances have designed Battlegroups on time zones to reflect AQ and AW. What you have done now has just ruined it. We are a gold one alli mainly UK and USA and the recent change to timings have caused roughly 3-4 missed movements. I.e war starts 3pm UK time don’t get home from work til 6pm earliest then shower change, 6:30pm with 5 energy. Make a few moves not to waste energy cook and eat dinner now 8pm 6 energy. Stay up til 11 for 9 energy. Wakes up at 5:30 to leave for work at 6:15 next time can get on is 5pm when finished work war is over, 9 moves made . Old layout with war starting at 7pm 3 energy few moves not to waste energy 11pm 7 total moves made. Same scenario wake up work can’t get on now home 5 energy in the tank then home again 6:30pm 5 energy can total 12.

We have all spent a lot of time dedicating routes to suit time zones for all of our alliance members mixing stuff up to lose hours of move is a catastrophe
  • This needs back tracking or sticking to the original template laid out in the infographic.

Unfortunately, according to Kabam, it is impossible for war to schedule as the graphic implied because it is impossible for them to start all wars simultaneously at one time. Some people don't believe Kabam when they state this, but there's no technical reason to believe this is false. And even if it is false, even if Kabam is wrong, it doesn't change the fact that if they believe it to be true, they will not under any circumstances attempt to implement it that way, thinking the system will simply fail to function.