**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

We need real PvP in here...

An alliance discussion prompted this desire to resurface...

Could I beat you in a match?

Well... Let's duel!

Oh, wait... dueling is PvC (Player vs Computer) with masteries... so basically the same as an arena match.

The point of going through that is to say a few things, (1) dueling is worthless and pointless, (2) there's no way to test how good of a player you are against someone else, and (3) dueling is worthless and pointless.

Now, let me clarify - dueling was a fun feature when it was first released, but now it has grown old, and the duel skirmish event feels more like a chore than actual investing, entertaining gameplay. I think it is time for a revamp.

Part two of this idea/request/discussion involves player interactions in-game. Currently in-game the only interactions we players make is through the alliance chat and treasury, with the latter being a stretch. Because of this lack of player interaction, and events that seem like chores, it is hard to feel invested in an alliance.

Now that the issues have been addressed, let's talk about revamping the dueling system. A 'duel' is "formal combat with weapons fought between two persons" (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). What is the one thing missing from the current dueling system? TWO PLAYERS. Obviously, because you read the title of my post, I am asking for dueling to become a PvP activity. How would this work?

First things first - a duel can only be between a player and their alliance and friendgroup (I'all address the event later). When you tap on the opponent's profile picture and click 'duel' the game enters into a loading-esque screen with a timer on the bottom (which lasts for two minutes). Once the 'duel' button was pushed (and maybe a confirmation button afterwards?), the person being challenged gets a notification (either in-game or out-of-game) saying "[PlayerName] has challenged you to a duel!" or something to that effect. If the other player accepts the duel, the two play versus each other in REAL PVP COMBAT. Should the other player deny the duel, both players return to the game.

As for the 'Duel Skirmish' event... I mentioned earlier that these duels would be limited to members of your alliance and friendgroups. So the way to remedy this is to have the points distributed by Champion Tier (which is the technical term for 'number of stars'). Duel points would be awarded by the lowest tier player in the duel. If either player is dueling as a 1*, the winner receives 250 points in the event. 2* yields 500 points; 3* yields 1000 points; 4*/5* yields 1500 points. Please note that a player can start 5 duels per day, but can accept an unlimited number of duel requests.

Tell me what you all think of this new dueling system idea in the comments below - if I missed something, or didn't clarify enough, I'd be happy to explain! I'll work on creating some mockup "screenshots" as well (will be posted later in the comments).

Comments

• HoidCosmereHoidCosmere Posts: 550 ★★
    I think it's a great idea.
  • TheMageHunterTheMageHunter Posts: 711 ★★
    Yeah but it should be limited to friends only cause the top guys will always receive duel challanges which will be pretty annoying when they are going for a legend run
  • HeroBoltsyHeroBoltsy Posts: 785 ★★★
    Great idea, my friend and I have long had conversations about who would beat the other in a fight. Quite frankly, I don't think duels will be updated anytime soon, because Kabams already got too much on their hands.
  • Ender_GuardianEnder_Guardian Posts: 26
    @TheMageHunter that's why I left it as friends and alliance, because the top players in-game would get bombarded. The notification wouldn't pop up in their game if they're in the middle of a fight, as well (at least in the way I was thinking of it)
  • IrakliIrakli Posts: 148
    Real pvp would be subject to technical issues like different device performance, connection speed. Besides that the fight strategy with AI is based on baiting heavies, specials, parrying on charges etc which might turn into a waiting game between real players.
    @HeroBoltsy You might be right... but just today I've seen 3 separate posts (mine included) about revamping some aspect of the dueling system. Hopefully with enough requests, this system can be reworked sometime.
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    I think this is a good idea and was hoping something like this would be added at some point. Just not sure how it would work, could they make it so both players appear on the left like normal or would one be on the right with reversed controls? If it's possible to put both on the left and make it work that would add a new element to the game and I think it could be really good. Would certainly be interesting to duel our other alliance members and see what happens.
    @Irakli That is a good point... but looking over at another mobile game, such as Clash Royale (I don't play it, but I have seen others), why wouldn't a similar function to their online PVP work here?
    @MegaSkater67 If I we're making this system (really funny because I'm not exactly an ace programmer), I'd like to see it as both players fighting from the left, with the opponent's actions mirrored on the other side... probably a whole lot easier said than done, but that's what I'd hope for
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    It sounds cool but real time pvp would never work the way the game's playing style is. Combat is based on manipulating the AI do give you certain openings to attack like baiting specials, baiting heavy attacks and back draft intercepting. Vs a real person you wouldn't be able to do these things because the other player would know not to throw heavies or use specials. The whole fight would be both player blocking with the occasional blocked attack until one person reaches special 3 or someone just brings in a power gain champion like hyperion and block till the sp3 and the other person would have no hope of winning
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    I think a better way to create content that is interactive between players would be to set up a sort of alliance quest style mode of play but instead of an alliance participating its teams of 3 summoners. The map would be endless and between the 3 of you you have to try to defeat as many enemies as possible that increase in difficulty with every fight. You'd still have a 15 item cap like regular AQ so you would have to choose who you have on your team carefully so one isn't holding the others back. There would be rewards for every 5 fights like milestones in AQ and then ranked rewards based on how far you got compared to other players and prestige of the teams you and your team brought together. This would make you plan between players what champions you bring, whether you choose just to bring the most powerful champions to make it easier or choose high prestige champions to get a higher chance of placing high on the leaderboards and who takes what fight this would introduce a very competitive piece of content to the game.
  • IdontinksoIdontinkso Posts: 156
    I would say most players probably want this too but it is never going to happen. Too much infrastructure would be needed to support this and the lags would make timing way worse than any issues people currently have. It would be like making an entire new game and there is no $ incentive for Kabam to do this.

This is probably something that should be in a sequel to this game.
  • WreakingHavocWreakingHavoc Posts: 253 ★★
    Kabam's servers go down every 10 seconds as it is currently. This would probably fry the whole game within a minute. I mean, it's a great idea, one that I've wanted since I got the game, but we're talking about Kabam here. It just can't happen. Plus, we'd get a few hackers that ruin it. Then everyone would complain and Kabam would go on another banning spree and permanently ban a lot of people who did nothing wrong. It's just out of Kabam's reach.
  • Great idea. Will be a lot of fun and also help people to get better at the game. Sooner the better
  • DankestChefDankestChef Posts: 420 ★★★
    Would be fun having to parry-parry-parry and dexterity-dexterity-dexterity forever
  • Midknight007Midknight007 Posts: 764 ★★★
    So... you want more lag instead of cowbell?
  • KDTrippeKDTrippe Posts: 68
    Masteries will need to be shut off for dueling to have a chance at working
  • Nemesis666Nemesis666 Posts: 166
    I'll just use Hyperion and mordo and block block block till sp3 fills up.this is never going to happen, ever.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    Why necro this?

PvP would be a disaster. It would strain the servers. The current game isn't set up to fight human vs human.

It looks good on paper, but it just wouldn't work.
  • Arbiter2426Arbiter2426 Posts: 346
    It wouldent work as one person or both would just turtle and wait for parries
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    The short answer: Fighting takes place on your device, not on the servers. You notice this when you can finish a fight fine, but OH, no connection afterwards. I personally don't really want to see this added to the game. It would be fun, but for what? what rewards? add another 3 day event or something? I just don't see the payoff vs the strain on the servers. The game wasn't designed that way and it would be a mess.

That being said, I would love to see a platform that Kabam could bring to Comic-con that would allow players to duel in person. It wouldn't be adding anything to the game but could be a fun event.
  • ManChildManChild Posts: 608 ★★★
    This isn’t an aspect of the game I’m interested in. I would wayyyyyy rather they add war nodes as options for duels. That’s it.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Real PVP would be a disaster.