**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

New Alliance Wars Matchmaking System & Season 8 Details

Comments

• BrainimpacterBrainimpacter Posts: 578 ★★★
    edited February 2019
    The People confusing times, simple way to look at it is think about the time it used to start before the changes, it is now roughly the same start time as the old matchmaking, but spread over a fixed 4 hours, so roughly 6-10pm GMT starts for everyone
  • ZooxanatorZooxanator Posts: 23
    What a load of rubbish, European players obviously don’t spend enough money! Guess I’ll be spending less now! What a ridiculous time
  • PeacockJazzPeacockJazz Posts: 120
    Zooxanator wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, European players obviously don’t spend enough money! Guess I’ll be spending less now! What a ridiculous time

What time were you starting your wars? This set up should work out decently for EU players.
  • QuantumBobQuantumBob Posts: 162
    @DNA3000
    Thanks. I interpreted it as: 4 hours match making and then 20 hours of placement. Therefore wars start up to 24 hours after match making starts
    It looks like I stupidly added 24 hours to the end of the match making window and not the start. Thanks.
    Still, this means the earliest they can start is 11pm. Not ideal either really but I'm honestly past the point of caring now. Maybe I still misunderstand it. Why can't they find a way to allow us to pick start times? That would be so much better.
  • 1Jo1Jo Posts: 30
    QuantumBob wrote: »
    Still, this means the earliest they can start is 11pm. Not ideal either really but I'm honestly past the point of caring now. Maybe I still misunderstand it. Why can't they find a way to allow us to pick start times? That would be so much better.

You want it all @QuantumBob lol
    Yes 7pm would be the earliest time 11pm the latest. Just hope your higher up the table for earlier start
  • Doomsfist79Doomsfist79 Posts: 922 ★★★

You mean 11AM?
  • Tasty_Yum_YumsTasty_Yum_Yums Posts: 444 ★★★
    I see the new times for enlistment and match making. I see attack phase will start no earlier than 11am PST. Does this mean that all attack phases will start at 11am PST??? Before it was too much of a server issue to launch wars at the same time. Just trying to understand when attack phase starts each war....
    edited February 2019
    why are people saying its not ideal, its the same as it was before the changes just now in a 4 hour window
    @Doomsfist79
    No. It is my (probably incorrect) understanding that match making starts at 3 pm PST and last 4 hours. Then we have 20 hours to place at the end of that window. Therefore wars start 24 hours after the start of the match making window. Hence, 3pm PST the following day. That's 11pm GMT.
    edited February 2019
    people are so silly, they cant even add 7 hours to 11am PST to get the earliest possible start time in GMT
    @Brainimpacter isn't it +8? Lol
  • Venom787Venom787 Posts: 195
    I'm pretty sure 3PM PST is 11PM GMT so now EU people are a bit screwed up as our wars can start between 11PM-3AM GMT.
    8bj16xebwjv1.png

Attack will start no earlier that 11am PST and it’s a 4 hour slot. That converts to 7pm-11pm gmt.
    edited February 2019
    @Brainimpacter isn't it +8? Lol

depends the time of year for me because in Spring/Summer UK moves to GMT+1so there is a period when its just 7 which is quite soon.
    @Venom787 It is. I thought that but I believe wars start at the beginning of the matchmaking window. 11pm GMT.
    3pm PST (11 pm GMT) matchmaking starts. This last 4 hours and we do nothing. They just find suitable matches in that window. At the end of that window we have 20 hours to place defense. Then war begins. Essentially 24 hours after the beginning of the match making window and therefore 11 pm GMT......I think....haha
    @Brainimpacter . I'm UK too. Good point though. Won't be long before this becomes a midnight start...even better lol
  • Tasty_Yum_YumsTasty_Yum_Yums Posts: 444 ★★★
    1Jo wrote: »
    8bj16xebwjv1.png

Attack will start no earlier that 11am PST and it’s a 4 hour slot. That converts to 7pm-11pm gmt.

So there’s still a 4-hour window of a random time attack phase will start each war. That’s one of the key issues that wasn’t fixed in this update....
  • 1982richard1982richard Posts: 32
    Why fixed times? It is just stupid. A game played world wide, it was very good to all start at the time we want. We did start at the same time as aq. No problems, and now we only have problems! This sucks
    Match making is 3-7pm PST then attack phase starts 20 hours later, if you get matched early you will get a 7PM UK start
  • QuantumBob wrote: »

This comes down to a pretty simple principle that not everyone understands about alliance war match making. Under the old system, you would only match against other alliances seeking match at the same time. The good news is that this implied both you and your opponent kinda wanted to start wars at the same time, so you were good matches not just in terms of being similar in strength (ignoring match making glitches) but you were also good matches in terms of wanting to fight the war on the same schedule.

The problem is that choosing *when* you match implicitly chooses *who* you match. In other words, if my alliance wanted to start wars at 1pm Pacific and your alliance wanted to start wars at 3pm Pacific, we would likely never face each other. If we are tier 6 alliances, this isn't usually a big deal because there are at least dozens of other alliances of similar rating matching at those times. We are never going to face each other, but we still won't really know who we are facing out of all those possibilities.

But at the higher tiers, those numbers thin out fast. It was possible for alliances to deliberately choose to start matching at different times to avoid each other permanently. Consider: #1 and #2 could avoid each other throughout the entire season and never have to fight each other. This is a huge competitive advantage in terms of earning points. Neither of them has to face the alliance most likely to be able to beat them.

Under the old system, choosing "when" also chooses "who." The new system has to take away the choice of "when" to remove the possibility of manipulating the "who."

There are complex ways to try to put the choice back in, but none of them can really completely fix the problem. For example, the game can allow alliances to set a "preferred" start time, but that can only work if both alliances happen to pick a similar time. If they prefer radically different times, the game has to either pick one or try to split the difference which could make both alliances unhappy. And this requires different scheduling of the wars to allow for the variable times.
    @Tasty_Yum_Yums a 4 hour window and top alliances start first and works its way down. So lower alliances will start later. That’s how I read it anyway
  • Since I'm not able to comment on Miike's announcement today about the delay in AW season and the change to Enlist & Matchmaking times, I'll comment here and hope that they see it...
    With this new adjustment, will Defensive Placement be 20 hours or 24 hours once we're matched? If it is kept at 20 hours, that means Attack could still start as early as 11:00AM PST. I think most would prefer 24 hours for placement once matched.
    As many have written, these new times still don't help with alliances who have chosen the best time to start Matchmaking based on all of the life schedules in the alliance.
    @Doomsfist79
    No. It is my (probably incorrect) understanding that match making starts at 3 pm PST and last 4 hours. Then we have 20 hours to place at the end of that window. Therefore wars start 24 hours after the start of the match making window. Hence, 3pm PST the following day. That's 11pm GMT.

Not quite. When the game servers find a match, those two alliances IMMEDIATELY start their war with defense placement. That means while the servers are looking for matches between 3pm and 7pm Pacific, the very first match will start defense placing at 3pm, NOT 7pm. Their attack phase will start at 11am the next day. All other alliances will start at some time after 3pm, with their attack phases starting at some time after 11am. Kabam is asserting that all alliances will find a match (barring some outage or issue) by 7pm. That means defense placement can start anywhere between 3pm and 7pm, and attack phases can start anywhere between 11am and 3pm Pacific.

Matchmaking starts every cycle at 3pm Pacific. But alliances will be starting wars at different times based on when they find a match. What is certain is that from the moment you alliance finds a match, Defense Placement is *always* twenty hours from that moment (which will be some time ON OR AFTER 3pm Pacific), and Attack Phase is *always* twenty four hours long starting from end of defense placement phase.
    @DNA3000 . Thank you again. Never considered how easy it could have been to manipulate match ups in the old system for those teams right at the top where tiers consist of only a handful of alliances. Out of interest, as you seem to have a good handle on how this operates, what do you feel would be the ideal solution? Also, what about tanking? If the goal to ensure fairer matches and more competitive wars then doesn't tanking in the off season defeat the point of all this? I personally would like to see war rating "locked in" in-between seasons.
    @DNA3000 . Thank you again. Never considered how easy it could have been to manipulate match ups in the old system for those teams right at the top where tiers consist of only a handful of alliances. Out of interest, as you seem to have a good handle on how this operates, what do you feel would be the ideal solution? Also, what about tanking? If the goal to ensure fairer matches and more competitive wars then doesn't tanking in the off season defeat the point of all this? I personally would like to see war rating "locked in" in-between seasons.

Something like this: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/741678/#Comment_741678
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    It’s not complicated. Wars will be 11 am to 3 pm pacific time. The earliest wars will be exactly the same as the earliest wars used to start and all wars will start within the next 4 hours
    edited February 2019
    @Brainimpacter . I'm UK too. Good point though. Won't be long before this becomes a midnight start...even better lol

starts wont be the late, thats just the fixed window, in the three wars this past week, we were matched within 20 minutes of matchmaking starting
  • borntohulaborntohula Posts: 447 ★★★
    edited February 2019
    Great for Americans. Congrats. You got back what you always had; easy ‘single boost’ wars. Europeans got the same sub par deal they were used to. So all good, I guess. Unless we’re vampires, that means having to boost multiple times. Kudos to the US players though. You were heard.