**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What causes connection issues in this game?

PeterQuillPeterQuill Posts: 1,373 ★★★★
From a learning perspective, can anyone shed light as to how connection issues are so consistent in this game? I know its not fair to compare a mobile game like this to say call of duty, but on a large scale game like call of duty, I almost never have connection issues in a game where there are 100 people in the same server. I understand they have a larger budget and funding obviously, but what can cause months of unstability in this game?

Comments

• GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 137
    Breathing don’t forget breathing
  • ThatGrootGrootThatGrootGroot Posts: 427 ★★
    PeterQuill wrote: »
    From a learning perspective, can anyone shed light as to how connection issues are so consistent in this game? I know its not fair to compare a mobile game like this to say call of duty, but on a large scale game like call of duty, I almost never have connection issues in a game where there are 100 people in the same server. I understand they have a larger budget and funding obviously, but what can cause months of unstability in this game?

Great questions. I thought there have been times over the last couple years where they were working on the back-end servers to make the game more stable. Sometimes I wonder where all the money made by this game actually goes, because it makes a lot. Too bad they're not a US-based company, because their status as a publicly-traded entity would make for more information to be available. South Korea must not have the same requirements for disclosing the details.
  • jojodeth101jojodeth101 Posts: 480
    Kabam just has rotten severs, they don’t want their game to go down just as much as you would.
  • Solrac_2Solrac_2 Posts: 497 ★★
    The eternal question!
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,481 ★★★★★
    @DiablosUltimate I wonder if it’s too late for that. I’ve always assumed the basic game architecture wasn’t developed efficiently to start with and probably wasn’t built with 5 years of longevity in mind. Pure speculation at this point.

Dr. Zola
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    Badly optimalised code. Like level up alghorithms, client sends request to server for every single iso selected separately, resulting in say 20 requests to server when you select 20 iso, instead of calculating it on client side and sending one request. Entire game is poorly optimalised like that. It's way beyond my understanding how company that's making milions every months from game doesn't just hire a good coder to optimalise engine for that game.

1. We know MCOC generates a lot of revenue. We don't know how much goes to Netmarble, and how much of that goes to Kabam, and how much of that goes to supporting MCOC (the biggest draw on a game development company's finances is usually new game development: existing games fund new ones in the pipeline).

2. If a "good coder" existed that could do that, he'd just be bouncing from game developer to game developer, making the world great for game players everywhere. The truth is a lot of people think this is easy, and unfortunately for us none of them actually do game development programming.

3. Here's the dirty secret of game development. A bunch of people build the game. These people have the institutional knowledge to know how every part of it works together. But no one stays in the same company forever. Either they move on because they get bored supporting something old rather than making something new, or the company decides to get rid of them because they are expensive and they can be replaced with cheaper people. Either way, second generation dev staff are never as knowledgeable as the first generation ones. They don't know everything, and can't do everything. They mostly build upon the foundation of the previous people. The third generation developers know even less, and now are genuinely dangerous: they can break things left and right if they tamper with the wrong thing, so they try to do as little as possible. By the fourth generation, your internal dev team is probably more afraid to make changes than willing to make changes. You're often hiring outside contractors that are experts at your platform to make anything more than simple changes. These guys are expensive so you can't keep them around forever, nor would they stay no matter what you offered them. And they get paid to hit and run, so while they can produce great results, it isn't the most transparent work in the world. So what they leave behind is even more complex, and even less maintainable. Eventually, your game might as well be powered by voodoo magic.

There's probably a special circle of hell where every game player that ever said "this should be easy to solve" is assigned the task of working on that problem until it is solved. And I suspect there's not a lot of turnover in this particular part of hell.