**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What's Coming up in March

Comments

• NemesioNemesio Posts: 134
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    BlackSaChi wrote: »
    I have to ask this why new Captain Marvel? Why not improvise the existing one like venom

There's a lot of answers to this question, but the one that's probably closest to the truth but would not satisfy you is "because they wanted to make a new Captain Marvel." No one chooses to do anything because they specifically look for reasons not to do everything else. Most of the time, they pick a thing to do, then do it.

More specifically, they made improvements to Venom almost certainly because Venom was on their list of champions to eventually revamp due to performance issues. But probably neither currently existing (Danvers) Captain Marvels are on that list, and contrawise there may have been enough changes to backstory, appearance and the mechanics they wanted to highlight to warrant a new champion creation. Which ultimately boils down to: that's what they preferred to do.

lol
    There's a short and 100% true explanation: New champion equals more money from the grandmaster featured crystals.
  • IcejrIcejr Posts: 431 ★★★
    🤪🤪🤪

81im427o595y.jpeg
  • Jestress wrote: »
    Battlestar galactica called... it wants its plotline back.

LOL. same exact concept. the show was really interesting.
  • DrZola wrote: »
    I am thrilled to hear the game team is improving my Captain Marvel to give her bursts of intense strength, incredible durability and explosive energy attacks.

Dr. Zola

its a new champion bud. old is just being relabeled as CLASSIC.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    I just realized that instead of a currency like valor or infinity dust, this is almost certainly going to be like trials of the alchemist where I'm spending for crystals that don't give me what I want. Womp womp.
  • We'll have more information soon, but it's kind of like Gwenpool Goes to the Movies, but not nearly as easy, and with far fewer quests.

Can you give us a range of difficulty? Maxed 4*s, 5*s? R3 6*s?

Still lots of information to come, and this is just a quick preview.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 2,360 ★★★★
    Battlerealm: Under Siege!

Captain Marvel calls upon The Summoner with alarming news: the Battlerealm has been invaded by shape-shifting Skrulls! With the aid of Captain America, Captain Marvel leads an incursion into the Forbidden Territories to root out the Skrulls and exterminate their forces.

Her plans quickly become complicated by the arrival of a new Carol Danvers, who is being pursued by none other than Nick Fury himself. Who is the doppelganger Danvers? What secrets does Fury hold? Allegiances will be tested and imposters exposed in Battlerealm: Under Siege!

Who knows? Maybe there are Skrulls among us right now, just waiting to be exposed!

Nick Fury’s Recon Initiatives!

The Battlerealm is full of countless Allies and Enemies, and Nick Fury wants to know everything about all of them! Join him in a month long Event to gather Intel on the Champions of the Battlerealm!

Summoners can Assist Nick Fury by gathering Intel, as payment they can trade that Intel for rewards such as T5B Catalyst Fragments, 5 and 6-Star Crystal Shards, Hero Crystals, and even a 5-Star Awakening Gem Crystal!

These 4 Quests will be released over the course of the month, and feature the return of Champion Requirements!

Curious I see only two quests or will Nick Fury's Recon Initiatives be split into four parts over the whole month?
  • Nemesio wrote: »
    I have to ask this why new Captain Marvel? Why not improvise the existing one like venom

There's a lot of answers to this question, but the one that's probably closest to the truth but would not satisfy you is "because they wanted to make a new Captain Marvel." No one chooses to do anything because they specifically look for reasons not to do everything else. Most of the time, they pick a thing to do, then do it.

More specifically, they made improvements to Venom almost certainly because Venom was on their list of champions to eventually revamp due to performance issues. But probably neither currently existing (Danvers) Captain Marvels are on that list, and contrawise there may have been enough changes to backstory, appearance and the mechanics they wanted to highlight to warrant a new champion creation. Which ultimately boils down to: that's what they preferred to do.

lol
    There's a short and 100% true explanation: New champion equals more money from the grandmaster featured crystals.

This is a ridiculous theory. Kabam regularly introduces new champs every month like clockwork. If they didn't make a new Captain Marvel, they would have made a new something else. If new champions equals more money, a new Captain Marvel doesn't add any more new champions to the game than would have been added regardless. In fact, revamping Captain Marvel on top of adding a different new champion would have changed more things, which according to you should have equalled even more money.
  • I wonder if the rewards are set or chance. Like will your for sure get the 5* AG crystal or is it just a low chance at it. I’d rather it be harder but guaranteed rewards.

Considering their rarity, maybe 1% chance or something like that lol, basic kabam.

It took a while to recall the event, but the last time we had a currency store similar to how Intel is being described I believe it was Infinity Dust, and the Infinity Dust store contained a 5* AGC for 6,900,000 Infinity Dust. My guess is that Intel will probably function similarly to that.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/64463/infinity-dust-and-the-infinity-dust-store
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    Nemesio wrote: »

lol

This is a ridiculous theory. Kabam regularly introduces new champs every month like clockwork. If they didn't make a new Captain Marvel, they would have made a new something else. If new champions equals more money, a new Captain Marvel doesn't add any more new champions to the game than would have been added regardless. In fact, revamping Captain Marvel on top of adding a different new champion would have changed more things, which according to you should have equalled even more money.

But you have to also consider the cost to develop/test/release that revamped character. How much money does a revamped character generate compared to the cost to do the rework?

Kabam has been doing 2 champs per month since the beginning. They are setup to do so. However, they would need additional resources (people, time, money) to effectively rework a third champ, and currently that team has been focused on Gwenpool/Shehulk.
  • EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 292 ★★
    edited February 2019

lol

On top of that, if they revamped old characters, then offered special crystals that were more likely to contain those revamped fighters, there would be people who would buy them. Many people who participated in the Beta for Spider-Gwen and She-Hulk did not have one of them as a 4 or 5-Star. Knowing how strong they were in the Beta, if Kabam then offered a Special Crystal for each when the changes took effect, those without one or both would likely try for them the same way as trying for a new fighter.

Upgrading abilities and Prestige makes a fighter more desirable to people who don't have them (like Vision (Classic), Luke Cage, Red Hulk, Venom and Carnage). There's great value to both the community and Kabam to update older fighters, as it also allows counters to the previously ranked, making the top tier players chase resources to rank more options. For things like Alliance War, where some teams could count on Infinity War Iron Man getting KOs for them, players who had Venom after his update could now get through Iron Man easily. That would then force a player who used Infinity War Iron Man to now chase a better defender and ranking materials.

Updating older fighters keeps rosters relevant in all directions. Good for the community, good for Kabam.
  • Dexman1349 wrote: »

lol

But you have to also consider the cost to develop/test/release that revamped character. How much money does a revamped character generate compared to the cost to do the rework?

Kabam has been doing 2 champs per month since the beginning. They are setup to do so. However, they would need additional resources (people, time, money) to effectively rework a third champ, and currently that team has been focused on Gwenpool/Shehulk.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. "But" seems to imply you're disagreeing, but then you lay out an additional reason why the underlying theory is bogus: that since Kabam doesn't have the resources to both revamp an old Captain Marvel on top of adding the new champions that they are committed to adding, they had any choice in whether or not to revamp Captain Marvel during the cross promotion period.

In other words, if they *couldn't* do both, the reason why they didn't do both can't be to make more money. It is because they didn't have the production i/o to do so.
  • Ebbtide wrote: »
    Updating older fighters keeps rosters relevant in all directions. Good for the community, good for Kabam.

That's true in general, which is why they do it. But that has to be balanced against the need to continue to add new champions, which is good for the community by preventing the game from dropping dead.
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,369 ★★★★★
    BowTieJohn wrote: »
    Battlerealm: Under Siege!

Captain Marvel calls upon The Summoner with alarming news: the Battlerealm has been invaded by shape-shifting Skrulls! With the aid of Captain America, Captain Marvel leads an incursion into the Forbidden Territories to root out the Skrulls and exterminate their forces.

Her plans quickly become complicated by the arrival of a new Carol Danvers, who is being pursued by none other than Nick Fury himself. Who is the doppelganger Danvers? What secrets does Fury hold? Allegiances will be tested and imposters exposed in Battlerealm: Under Siege!

Who knows? Maybe there are Skrulls among us right now, just waiting to be exposed!

Nick Fury’s Recon Initiatives!

The Battlerealm is full of countless Allies and Enemies, and Nick Fury wants to know everything about all of them! Join him in a month long Event to gather Intel on the Champions of the Battlerealm!

Summoners can Assist Nick Fury by gathering Intel, as payment they can trade that Intel for rewards such as T5B Catalyst Fragments, 5 and 6-Star Crystal Shards, Hero Crystals, and even a 5-Star Awakening Gem Crystal!

These 4 Quests will be released over the course of the month, and feature the return of Champion Requirements!

Curious I see only two quests or will Nick Fury's Recon Initiatives be split into four parts over the whole month?

Every wednesday just like how trials always resetted on a wednesday
  • Sigma1Sigma1 Posts: 5
    Why kabam why have 2 of the same Captain Marvel in the game?!?!
    Kabam this i crazy

You dont even have to buff the old Captain Marvel just gave here the same powers and specials as the new one and we are good!
    Just like you did the 2 Daredevils

• Arham1Arham1 Posts: 435 ★★
    Wait. Is there any way to get specific champs to unlock paths like it was in GGTTM?
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★
    Arham1 wrote: »
    Wait. Is there any way to get specific champs to unlock paths like it was in GGTTM?

Hopefully not
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    Arham1 said:

More of those 2* "trophy champ" crystals you had to grind for in arenas.
  • Samspade23Samspade23 Posts: 549 ★★
    I hope new captain marvel is a skrull. It would make sense when usually we get a hero and villian. Nick fury and Carol wouldn't match. Either way, I hope we get a skrull, nick fury, and a captain marvel buff.
  • Greifmaster911Greifmaster911 Posts: 316 ★★
    No captain marvel buff unless you count a painfully mediocre syngery with the new cap marvel that makes only her sp1 unblockable if you have a fury
  • Scarlett_Scarlett_ Posts: 273

Can't wait to pull my 3rd straight Mystic Gem. Love that RNG!

That’s what I get !!!
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,479 ★★★★★
    edited March 2019
    DNA3000 said:

lol

I don’t think it’s theory—it’s fact. Of course the team puts out new champs who are specifically designed to get through the new content they have created/are creating. It’s analogous to an arms producer being able to declare war so it can sell more of its wares in an ever-repeating cycle.

What I believe OP is annoyed with, however, is that the new and improved CM is...well, CM. We already have a CM (now “Classic” CM...that’s truly classic).

We have Ms.M. And we have KKMs.M. Call it ineptitude, call it greed, call it laziness or whatever you want. Call it Marvel mandating a new CM.

But it’s silly to say that since there would have been a new champ anyway that it’s somehow ok to just keep putting out new versions of the same champs instead of making the existing versions fit for the current state of the game. It isn’t.

Dr. Zola
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    DrZola said:

But it’s silly to say that since there would have been a new champ anyway that it’s somehow ok to just keep putting out new versions of the same champs instead of making the existing versions fit for the current state of the game. It isn’t.

Dr. Zola

No, the fact that there an established schedule of adding new champs simply makes the theory that a new CM is being added as a cash grab a ridiculous theory, which is what I was replying to. The reason why it is ok to make new versions of the same champ is because multiple versions of the "same" champ [i]actually exist[/i]. The MCU version of Captain Marvel is literally no more the same as the originally added Captain Marvel as Punisher 2099 is the same as original Punisher, or Miles Morales is the same champ as OG Spider-man, just with different origins. These are different entities in different realities.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 2,360 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

No, the fact that there an established schedule of adding new champs simply makes the theory that a new CM is being added as a cash grab a ridiculous theory, which is what I was replying to. The reason why it is ok to make new versions of the same champ is because multiple versions of the "same" champ [i]actually exist[/i]. The MCU version of Captain Marvel is literally no more the same as the originally added Captain Marvel as Punisher 2099 is the same as original Punisher, or Miles Morales is the same champ as OG Spider-man, just with different origins. These are different entities in different realities.
    Good and valid point!
  • djr17djr17 Posts: 648 ★★★
    DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

Punisher is Frank Castle. Punisher 2099 is Jake Gallows (with different weapons and backstory)

Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Miles Morales is the Earth-1610 Spider-Man (with different powers and backstory).

Classic CM is Carol Danvers. New CM is Carol Danvers.

Nice try, my friend.

Dr. Zola
    Spidey. Stark Spidey.

IM, IMIW.

DD, NDD.

Hulk, Gulk, (Fixit).

WWCap, OG Cap, IW Cap.

But multiple of a female character? Too Far.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

Punisher is Frank Castle. Punisher 2099 is Jake Gallows (with different weapons and backstory)

Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Miles Morales is the Earth-1610 Spider-Man (with different powers and backstory).

Classic CM is Carol Danvers. New CM is Carol Danvers.

Nice try, my friend.

Dr. Zola
    MCU's Carol Danvers is not the same person in any way shape or form of the original 616 Carol Danvers. Not the same person. Not the same origin story. Not the same character history. Not the same powers. MCU's Carol Danvers is as much the same person as classic Carol Danvers as Peter Parker is the same person as Miles Morales. The only thing that is identical between them is their names.

This is not a matter of opinion. This is canonical according to Marvel, who designates the MCU as a completely different reality, and not just "the film version" of Earth-616. If you want to argue the point, argue it with the only people who can change it, which would be Marvel.
  • I
    Know who im bringin, cyclops baby
  • AramarthAramarth Posts: 4
    Hi, i think they sould give people, that rankup the old cap marvel, the chance to downgrade the hero as a compensation for a different treatment.
  • VoltolosVoltolos Posts: 1,120 ★★★
    Aramarth said:

Hi, i think they sould give people, that rankup the old cap marvel, the chance to downgrade the hero as a compensation for a different treatment.

No.The old CM still works exactly as before