Spider-Gwen - Update Spotlight
- Increased from 13,987 to 14,900 +6.1%
- Increased from 1,171 to 1,216 +3.7%
- Physical Resistance Increased
- Old Damage Reduction vs All Attacks - 12%
- Old Damage Reduction vs Physical Attacks - 12%
- New Damage Reduction vs All Attacks - 12%
- New Damage Reduction vs Physical Attacks - 17%
- Critical Damage Rating Increased
- Old Critical Damage Multiplier 2.0x
- New Critical Damage Multiplier 2.1x
- PI Increased
- Old PI 4060
- New PI 4410
- Spider-Gwen begins each fight with 1 charge of Spider-Sense active. Each charge grants +182 Attack Rating and a 7% chance to Evade all incoming attacks. Max: 5 charges.
- If fighting a Champion of the Superior Class, begin the fight with an additional 3 Spider-Sense charges.
- When struck 5 times, gain 1 Spider-Sense charge.
- 100% chance when struck by an opponent with a True Strike Buff to Nullify that Buff and gain a Spider-Sense charge.
- +550% Evade Ability Accuracy vs. Unblockable Special Attacks
- While Blocking, this Champion will not attempt to Evade.
- Causes a Slow Debuff on the opponent for 15 seconds, reducing the Ability Accuracy of their Unstoppable and Evade effects by 100%. Opponents with a natural Class Advantage cannot be Slowed.
Evade an Attack or Land a Combo-Ending Attack
- Active Hunter-Spider and Trap-Spider effects have their effect duration paused for 0.5 seconds. During Special Attacks, these effects are also paused for the full duration of the attack.
- 100% chance to gain a Passive Trap-Spider effect for 10 seconds. This grants +150 Critical Damage Rating and allows attacks a 30% chance to Enervate the opponent, preventing them from gaining Power when struck for 5 seconds.
- Gain 1 Spider-Sense charge after activating this attack.
- 100% chance to Paralyze the opponent for 4 seconds, Stunning them and reducing their Power and Health gains by 80%.
Developer Note: Once her signature ability is unlocked, Spider-Gwen can start using this Debuff to invert Healing effects. Works quite well against Magik’s Limbo to turn it into direct damage.
- 100% chance to gain a Passive Hunter-Spider effect for 18 seconds, causing each attack to deal a burst of extra Physical Damage equal to 55% of Spider-Gwen’s attack damage dealt.
Signature Ability - Web Warrior
- With greater experience in the Contest, Spider-Gwen learns to do whatever a spider can and gains the following ability improvements:
- Slow Debuff lasts 2.5 seconds longer.
- +105 Critical Damage Rating for each Spider-Sense charge.
- Paralyze reduces Power & Health gains by an extra +60%.
- +40% Hunter-Spider and Trap-Spider ability duration.
Gwenom Rising - Venom, Carnage, Venom the Duck, Symbiote Supreme
- Gwen’s Spider-Sense charges are evolved, reducing their Evade chance by half. They also now grant an additional +10% Attack rating each and their max cap is raised by 1.
Developer Note: This synergy is somewhat unique in that it has a slight drawback to counteract its high damage potential. Without the synergy, the max evade chance is 25%. With the Synergy, she trades 10% Evade chance to get a whopping +60% attack in return.
Enemies - Daredevil (Classic), Rhino
- +155 Critical Rating.
Enemies - Red Hulk, Thanos, Ultron
- +155 Critical Rating
Rivals - Punisher
- +115 Critical Damage Rating
Romance - Spider-Man
- +5% Power Gain
- The effects of Petrify actually stack on top of Spider-Gwen’s existing Paralyze Stun effects. Combine this with her signature ability and your Paralyze Debuffs will quickly start to reverse your opponent’s healing effects into degeneration effects as well as power lock them.
- With a much heavier focus on Evade than on damage reduction, Spider-Gwen works well with Glass Cannon as she is less reliant on her Health pool, and the increased attack rating benefits her new Hunter Spider ability very well.
Unblockable Special Attacks
- Spider-Gwen gets a massive increase to her Evade chance whenever she’s faced with an Unblockable Special Attack. This makes her very well suited to counter tough boss nodes that feature tricky special attacks that are difficult to use Dexterity against.
Parry or Dexterity
- Unlike other champions with Evade, Spider-Gwen will not attempt to Evade while she is in her Blocking animation. This means that skilled Summoners have the freedom to decide when to use Evade, Dexterity or Parry.
Strong vs. Unstoppable
- With her new Slow Debuff, Spider-Gwen is now suited to deal with Champions that might rely on Unstoppable effects. Just make sure to apply the effect before the Unstoppable tries to activate.
Evasive, but not tough
- While Spider-Gwen has seen a slight increase in her physical resistance, she still has a smaller than average health pool and fairly low defenses. As a result, if she finds herself without access to her Evade ability, she will often have a hard time staying in the fight for a long period of time.
Development Design Notes
When it came to updating Spider-Gwen’s abilities, we had several goals that we were trying to hit.
Give Spider-Gwen a specific place in the Meta with a strong focus on Class Relationships
- For this goal, we designed the Spider-Sense charges to work well against Unblockable attacks and Superior Class Champions, two mechanics that don’t have many counters in the game. We also added the new Slow Debuff to counter Mystic Champions with the Unstoppable ability as well as the Paralyze Debuff to assist with short regeneration effects like Magik’s Limbo. We’ve also made her Trap Spider and Hunter Spider abilities Passive effects to make them immune to the Nullify mechanics of Mystic Champions.
Make her more interesting to fight with
- We’ve added more timing and decision-based mechanics to Spider-Gwen’s kit. With her Heavy Attack to Slow the opponent, skilled Summoners can now deal with Unstoppable Champions and Evade mechanics. Additionally, timing her Special 3 and Special 1 abilities with frequent Combo-Ending attacks can provide a high level of damage output while denying the opponent most of their power gain.
Bring her abilities more inline with other Spider-Verse Champions
- While it’s important for each Spider-Verse Champion to feel unique and have their own ability kit, we also want to make sure that, whenever possible, Champions with similar background or lore will have similar mechanics. Spider-Gwen now has similar Evade mechanics to her counterparts, and is now countered by many of the same Champions that are used to counter Spider-Man (Classic) or Spider-Man (Miles Morales).