**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Witness the Great Revival! Act 6 Chapter 1 - Coming March 13th

Comments

• CFreeCFree Posts: 491 ★★

So.....maybe I missed it, but there was supposed to be some kind of statement or clarification from the game/devteam with regards to the champ requirements in act 6, specifically the exclusion of 4* champs.....?

You missed it.
    Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

I guess there is no reason to upgrade 4* champions at this point. If you arent grinding for the end game then what are you grinding for? Thanks kabam, ive wasted so much of my resources that I should have been saving for 5* champs I dont even have yet.

They’re still useful if you’re not in a position to grind for end game. Plus they’re useful for plent of non-Act 6 content.
    Cfree, I do agree with your comment. 4* champs will still be used for AW and AQ. But my 4* champs have brought me through Uncollected, Act5, labyrinth and the majority of realm of legends. So Act6 is going to be harder than Realm of Legends? I still use 3* champs just for synergies. I have 4* champs ive leveled over 5* just because they were awakened. Seems like a huge money grab, why would it matter to them what champ I use to beat their content?
    I get the debate about whether the limitation makes sense or not, but let’s get rid of the hyperbolic statements about 4* being useless.
  • Jeff42000Jeff42000 Posts: 19
    CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

I guess there is no reason to upgrade 4* champions at this point. If you arent grinding for the end game then what are you grinding for? Thanks kabam, ive wasted so much of my resources that I should have been saving for 5* champs I dont even have yet.

They’re still useful if you’re not in a position to grind for end game. Plus they’re useful for plent of non-Act 6 content.
    Cfree, I do agree with your comment. 4* champs will still be used for AW and AQ. But my 4* champs have brought me through Uncollected, Act5, labyrinth and the majority of realm of legends. So Act6 is going to be harder than Realm of Legends? I still use 3* champs just for synergies. I have 4* champs ive leveled over 5* just because they were awakened. Seems like a huge money grab, why would it matter to them what champ I use to beat their content?
    I get the debate about whether the limitation makes sense or not, but let’s get rid of the hyperbolic statements about 4* being useless.
    I bet they give 4* shards as rewards in Act 6
  • Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★

DjinAF said:

No one is forcing you to complete it within few days of it's release. Take your time build you 5* roster and then try.

Sure, let me just go and buy that power lock champ i need? This build your roster line is absolutely absurd. You have no control over your roster other than grinding away at a game for hours on end, in hopes of getting something worthwhile. Or spend a ton of real money!
    I’m glad SOMEONE shares my seintiment. I’ve heard “TaKE yOur TiMe, buILd YoUR RoSter” a bit too much. Be direct and concise with this statement, it won’t hurt my feelings. Are you saying “get better at time management and prioritize this game by grinding for hours on end with THE NOT GUARANTEED HOPE that you secure decent champs, who you then need to rank up with scarce resources then hope that these said champs are worth the investment with the ever changing landscape?

Trust me...ya boy has taken time. The frustration lays in “build your roster.” If there were a “buy a champ” store...with a slightly increased resource inverstment, i’d “Take my time” to build those resources, go buy the specific champ I needed for my roster and play style, and dive back into Act 5 (post collector) then on to the often alluded Act 6.

But that’s not our reality. Reality is I’m looking at this maxed out Wolverine, 4 star StarLord, 4 Star Star Spidey, 4 Star Corvus....and for the first actual time in my playing existence....I think I’ve hit my glass ceiling.

I’m not blessed by the RNG higher ups like most people. And “make due with the champs you have” is now not the solution.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    There has been some uproar. Act 6 has been hyped for weeks now, big is in the disappointment that Kabam have put champion requirements. Many speak of the end of the 4*. But is that necessarily bad? Let me start with a story.

As everyone else, I started this game a year ago with two 1*: Spider-Man and Wolverine (Iron Man was another option). In the beginning I levelled them up, but from the moment I got my first 2* I abandoned them quite fast. I didn't mourn them, I knew that was the natural progression of the game.

As I ranked my 2* up to rank 3, I got my first 3*, Winter Soldier. Costs to level-up 2* were growing and it was economically more efficient to invest my precious gold and ISO-8 into Winter Soldier rather than my Black Panther (Civil War), which I loved playing with very much (yes, I know he's technically thrash but foolish newbie me liked his animations and he did get the job done). I didn't mourn them, I knew that was the natural progression of the game.

To progress in the game as fast as possible, I levelled-up the strongest of my 3*. I abandoned my Winter Soldier at 2/20, in favor for Hyperion, Mephisto and Stark Spidey. But progress also meant I was getting my first 4*. These were Red Hulk, Bishop and Taskmaster. As I maxed out my strongest three, I start to switch more and more to 4*. My awakened Hyperion lasted the longest, I even used him in AQ, but as soon as I got a 4* Hyperion he was condemned to the dust bin as well, only to be used as arena fodder. I didn't mourn them, I knew that was the natural progression of the game.

4* are a curious tier. They were long the highest tier. Then came 5* and now even 6*. The progression of this game is relentless. It is normal for 4* to share the same fate as 3*. If Kabam banned 3* from Act 5, would anyone protest? No, as the realisation that 3* is not part of anyone's roster when going for uncollected is evident. Neither should 4* when players are going for Act 6

So why do players resist? Nostalgia, partly, but it is deeper. The game shifts towards synergies, and gave 4* a second life. I do think Kabam is to blame for this, in an effort to entice players into buying more crystals, they made gameplay more dependent not only on getting that one champion once or even twice, but a whole matching set of champions. They reap what they sow: like junkies, players cannot function without their signature abilities and synergies. You could even say that players are spoiled, it is not enough to play good, but to play at maximum potential. The alternative seems impossible.

It is all folly. As Kabam makes acquiring 5* crystal shards easier and (demi) god tier champions more plentiful, the need for 4* will continue to drop in the future. 4* are a dead end street. I know it and deep down, everyone else does to.

Dear protesters full of indignation, do not be the Don Quichots fighting against wind mills. Do not be like the rusty old folks, stuck in a past that doesn't exist anymore. Do not be the flat earthers, denying reality. Embrace the progress of this game. Adapt to it. Say goodbye to your 4*.
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

Seeing as how they already posted the rewards and 4* shards weren’t on the list, I bet not.
    DarthPhal said:

Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

CFree said:

Jeff42000 said:

Seeing as how they already posted the rewards and 4* shards weren’t on the list, I bet not.
    obviously
  • YotzYotz Posts: 117
    Kabam, you promised to listen to the community and you are not doing that. You are making a decision that does not align with your game design. The two key words are RNG and SINGERGIES. You designed a game in which luck is involved, and your rationale for restricting 4* characters out act 6 simply does not work. 4* characters are still necessary in the game even for top tier players because of RNG and the need for sinergies. You designed and have developed the game, even more in recent months, to be heavily dependent on sinergies. You also designed it to have rosters fed by RNG. Our rosters do not only reflect our progression, they also reflect the luck of the draw. I've been playing this game for 3 years, I have a PI rating above 900k, and there are still some old school characters that I have not pulled as 4*s, and a few that I just pulled in the last 2 months. Those are characters that I wanted and needed for years. It might be the same case now with the 5*s, it can be two or three years before I pull the character I need for sinergies for act 6, which is bad because my top champions are at the level needed for the end game content. I just need the sinergy that one 4* brings to my team.

Please Kabam, do not be stubborn. You dropped the ball with the decision. Listen to the community, do not force our hand like you did with 12.0, we want to enjoy the game that you are working on everyday.

This doesn’t give a reason why 4* champions are blocked from act6.. Noobs won’t be able to enter act6 until they complete act5. So saying u need to gate act6 by removing 4* is a complete joke!

It does give a reason. Several actually. You just don’t agree with them.
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    You've nearly ruined the rollout of Act 6. If the champ requirements had been communicated 3 - 6 months ago, it might have been reasonable. But since the champ requirements were not communicated, you need to shelve this idea.
  • 4Never4Never Posts: 84
    edited March 2019

Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.

Can you please elaborate more on this point, similar to how you went into more detail for the class restriction in Variant. More specifically, what type of experience are you guys trying to construct with this restriction that you couldn't without it? What are your goals when it comes to how this is supposed to impact the players experience?

I also thought the same thing. Quote: "it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles".
    How does restricting 4* use allow you to do that? What is a tightly-constructed experience? What specific box of playstyles? How does restricting 4*s do any of that when the same champs are available in 5*s?

Quote: "Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make"
    Well, I can tell you now that you may think that is important, but chopping the legs of our long time built rosters in this mmorpg, IS NOT a good experience! I would think it's worse. There is nothing good about that from the player's POV. We can tolerate some limited restrictions on our rosters, but this is way too far.
    It's just a terrible feeling to have a gate so broad. It's like a reset on the game. Let the difficulty of Act 6 be it's own deterrent to using 4*s. To take them from us entirely in this area, is way too much. Do something else like raise the summoner level.

Your explanation sounds like, hey we know what you'll like better than you do, and even though you don't like not being able to use your 4*s now, you'll thank us later because we created a moment for you to mark your passage.

Aside from all that, is there a concern that 4* champions, like Aegon, will rip through parts of Act 6 that you don't want? That would seem more like a direct reason than some of this vague explanation.

I'm really trying to understand this.
    CFree said:

This doesn’t give a reason why 4* champions are blocked from act6.. Noobs won’t be able to enter act6 until they complete act5. So saying u need to gate act6 by removing 4* is a complete joke!

I think the real reason is they dont want me to use my 4* Joe Fix It on end game content
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    CFree said:

It does give reasons but there are no valid arguments for their reasons. that's the big issue with this gate. There is no valid reason for it other than to force end game players to spend on offers and grandmaster crystals. it's a gate designed to punish free to play or casual spenders in a game where attainable by rng
    edited March 2019
    Dshu said:

CFree said:

It does give reasons but there are no valid arguments for their reasons. that's the big issue with this gate. There is no valid reason for it other than to force end game players to spend on offers and grandmaster crystals. it's a gate designed to punish free to play or casual spenders in a game where attainable by rng
    Preach*

Dshu said:

CFree said:

You don’t see “valid” arguments because you disagree with them. They do explain their rationale, however.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    4Never said:

Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.

Can you please elaborate more on this point, similar to how you went into more detail for the class restriction in Variant. More specifically, what type of experience are you guys trying to construct with this restriction that you couldn't without it? What are your goals when it comes to how this is supposed to impact the players experience?
    I also thought the same thing. " it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles". How does restricting 4* use allow you to do that? What is a tightly-constructed experience? What specific box of playstyles? How does restricting 4*s do any of that when the same champs are available in 5*s?

"Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make" Well, I can tell you now that you may think that is important, but chopping the legs of our long time built rosters in this mmorpg, IS NOT a good experience! I would think it's worse. There is nothing good about that from the player's POV. WE LOVE the sandbox, and can tolerate some limited restrictions on our rosters, but this is way too far.
    It's just a terrible feeling to have a gate so broad. It's like a reset on the game. Let the difficulty of Act 6 be it's own deterrent to using 4*s. To take them from us entirely in this area, is way too much.

Your explanation sounds like, hey we know what you'll like better than you do, and even though you don't like not being able to use your 4*s, you'll thank us later because we created a moment for you to mark your passage.

Aside from all that, is there a concern that 4* champions, like Aegon, will rip through parts of Act 6 that you don't want? That would seem more like a direct reason than some of this vague explanation.

I'm really trying to understand this.
    There's really nothing to understand.

In a game where you do not have any say in what character you get other than paying cash or units for OG Vision -- because you can fall short on an Arena grind, which means you don't control it -- with that same game releasing numerous characters that need to be duped in order to attain their full potential, and numerous others that require you to attain DIFFERENT characters for synergies in order for them to overcome weaknesses at release or increase utility, and one week prior to the release of content that has been worked on for more than a year but absolutely no other warning given prior to this week, you have been notified that a subset of characters you have either grinded for or earned through progression or paying cash will not be allowed in the content being released.

Bad RNG? Tough.

Weak characters released that you didn't design? Tough.

The time you spent ranking up characters that you have because you got no direction this was happening? Tough.

That's it. There's nothing more to it than that. Everything else is just word salad
  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 254 ★★
    Has there been any talk on why the level not increasing is a good thing?
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    @Colonaut123 Don Quichots? Points for the literary reference but Quichots?
  • Player1994Player1994 Posts: 793 ★★★
    ALL Buffs look challenging except No retreat it's abused make an exception on evading specials if not it means everytime you dex a special which has 2 or + hits you'll die supposing the 200% attaque degenration will be something like 15kx2 mostly 30k degenration which most 5*s will die too in a sec

unless they're attaque is 5k which i doubt
  • RodsteinRodstein Posts: 207
    edited March 2019
    We need a statement about the weak behind statement

I insist this is in no way helping to your case of #transparency and only makes obvious your greed

Ok i had some more hoots

@Colonaut123 Don Quichots? Points for the literary reference but Quichots?

Lol. I was thinking the same thing.
    CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

You don’t see “valid” arguments because you disagree with them. They do explain their rationale, however.
    What valid reason is given to block 4*s from entering act 6 when all 4*s at rank 5 have higher stats than 5*s at rank 2 and below
    Dshu said:

CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

What valid reason is given to block 4*s from entering act 6 when all 4*s at rank 5 have higher stats than 5*s at rank 2 and below
    Anything in their response that says things like “Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.”
    CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

Anything in their response that says things like “Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.”
    Would it be reasonable to say that I could beat Act 6 content with a rank 2 - 5* versus a rank 5 - 4*
  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 254 ★★
    @addisonbassist You my friend are awesome! I couldn't have said it better.
    CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

Dshu said:

CFree said:

And how is this a valid reason. I am missing how the use of 4* champs allows for a more tightly constructed challenge unless they mean to say they are forcing people to spend on crystals with the Hope of attaining the champs they need to complete synergies needed to attempt this challenge. The wording doesn't give a valid reason why 4*s should be locked from use. They are not restricting based on team rating which I could understand even if I didn't agree with it. Their response to the restrictions doesn't explain why or how this creates a more tightly constructed experience or forces a more specific box of playstyle. There is no reason given to explain their decision it's just a long winded sentence without any explanation. Since you seem to understand what they are trying to get across maybe you can explain it to the rest of us in simple terms. It has nothing to do with agreeing with the decision for me it's more about understanding the reason behind it. @CFree please explain what you think they are saying rather than reposting their message has we have all already read that several times